This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-25-2008 10:02:16 PM

Mooshay
New Student

Not Lucky: Why Nanami is the Only Thing Stopping Keiko

So, I'm a n00b on this forum, and I'm relatively new to the whole Utena fandom, so I may be missing something already said elsewhere. From what I've been reading of all this great analysis of the series, though, I haven't seen anyone interpret Keiko's situation with Nanami and Touga quite the same way I have. There's a very good essay in the analysis section of the site on it, and I pretty much agree with the whole thing, but... well, I feel it didn't really mention the whole picture. So unless you really care about getting even more detailed into this whole thing with an idea that's kind of pointless, you may be a bit bored by my ramblings. You may be anyway. emot-tongue

(I just finished actually writing that out, and BOY is it long. I didn't mean to make it that way, sorry. You can still read it if you like.)

Everyone knows how Nanami and her henchgirls come together: they approach her at the junior high entrance ceremony to see if she wants to join their group and be friends. Of course, when they see that Touga is her older brother, they join her instead and are willing to do pretty much anything to stick around her.

It sounds like a great plan at first, especially to a couple of preteens (it's easy to forget how young everyone at Ohtori is with the way they draw them, but seriously. This is a JUNIOR HIGH entrance ceremony, they're maybe twelve at that time?): befriend the beloved little sister, and they can come into Touga's direct line of sight. They're the "chosen ones" with the opportunity to really get close to Touga, to get to talk to him without being faces in the sea of admirers, because his little sister is closer to him than anyone.

That's what it would seem like. But after so long serving Nanami, it has to be obvious to them that this plan of theirs isn't really working out. From what we can tell, they barely ever get to even see Touga, or talk much to him if they do. They're giving up a lot for Nanami with little apparent benefit. So why are they still doing this?

The most developed of the trio is Keiko, so I'll talk about her most.

The most obvious thing she could do to get Touga's attention would be to just throw herself at him. After all, Touga seems quite happy to do any willing girl he can find. Keiko might not quite fit society's normal narrow definition of beauty, but it's not like she's ugly; she could get his attention pretty quickly if she worked up the courage. And why doesn't she?

I think the essay already done on this, "Thoughts on the Pigtailed One" over in the analysis section, gets that one pretty well. (If you haven't read that, do so. Silly person, reading something like this without being obsessed with all available analysis.) Keiko has too much dignity to just be another member of Touga's endless harem, she wants him to be interested in her, she wants to be "the one". Check that essay for more detailed reasoning on that, it would be silly to go over what's already been said again.

But that really doesn't explain everything. As I said, the "befriend the beloved sister" strategy is quite obviously not working. They've been at it for a while, and no luck. Wouldn't it work just as well or better to stop being pushed around by Nanami and pursue him on their own? There's not a good chance that would work out either, but obviously Keiko is still hopeful and willing to try it; she takes the chance with the umbrella all by herself. So why are they all still putting up with being ordered around?

The reason for that comes down to this: meeting Nanami was not luck like they thought, it was the worst thing that could have happened to stop them from getting close to Touga.

I know that seems counterintuitive; being close to her would at least give them a bit more recognition to the object of their affections, and it couldn't hurt. But it seems to me that the main reason why Keiko can't pursue Touga is simply Nanami.

Nanami could and would completely and utterly destroy her. Even before this actually happens in her Black Rose episode (removal from all clubs, abandonment by friends, etc), Keiko would know firsthand what Nanami does to people; she seems to be one of the main slappers when their leader is feeling malicious, and she must be around when worse things are done.

And how is this made worse by knowing Nanami? It's because Nanami only attacks people she sees as a true threat, and Keiko knows it. Touga seems to have most of the girls in the school after him, and he certainly obliges quite a few of them. But Nanami doesn't do anything against them precisely because they are a THEM. Her brother messes around with girls a lot, but Nanami (thinks she) knows that she is the only one he truly loves and cares for. She wouldn't attack every single girl who likes Touga, though she might be a bit hostile.

If Keiko had never met Nanami, she would have been free to pursue Touga just like every other girl, to offer him her umbrella and such without any fear, and see where that took her. If it had really developed romantically like she hoped (it would never happen, knowing Touga, but Keiko seems to see him in a much more romantic light), of course Nanami would have gone after her, but it wouldn't have stopped Keiko in the first place, and the attack would be a long time coming because it wouldn't be so immediately obvious that someone else had her brother's attention. Because Keiko knows exactly what would happen to her if she, one of the few people Nanami considers worthy of following her, turns out to be a traitor... well, Keiko just doesn't have the self-confidence to take that risk.

Another important point is that, from what she can tell, Touga adores his little sister. Even if Keiko were willing to risk everything Nanami could bring down on her, Nanami could use her influence with her brother, maybe feed him some false rumors or simply beg him to pursue another girl in his harem, and that could be it for all her dreams.

Of course, that's what causes Keiko's dramatic reversal as soon as it's revealed that Nanami "really" isn't Touga's little sister after all. Nanami is completely knocked out of the picture in her eyes, because she can't do a thing as an equal, only as Touga's beloved sister. She has no power, authority, or popularity of her own; only what being Touga's sister brings her. How can she push people around if Touga, apparently the most admired person on campus, doesn't even seem to acknowledge a connection to her anymore?

With the only person holding her back stripped of all authority, Keiko really doesn't hesitate to take her chance. Had the worry over being just another one of his conquests been the main thing stopping her, I don't think she would have ended up alone in the garden with Touga by just the next day or so. It's Nanami who is now "just another girl". (Symbolized by Touga's cell phone, but that's for another ridiculously long train of thought. ;D)

So. To sum up ALL of that... far from being a lucky chance to get close to Touga, befriending Nanami did much more harm than help to Keiko's (and the other girls') chances of ever being with Touga. Keiko's dignity wasn't the only problem.

......I really have no idea how to sum that up. XD I meant this to just be a quick idea thrown out to see if other people agreed, but things are so much longer when you actually write them out, huh. I wonder if anyone even felt like reading that? I really can't summarize that into a readable length. Sorry about that! I'm rather tempted to not post something so long that talks about something so umimportant, but hey.

So. if you really did read it: comments? Do you agree? Am I completely off? Has someone else said something like this before and I missed it? Any additional thoughts on Keiko or others involved in this? Say anything you like.

#2 | Back to Top04-26-2008 12:57:06 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Not Lucky: Why Nanami is the Only Thing Stopping Keiko

You know what, you've done a great job of summarizing something I'd completely taken for granted. I can't really do much more than agree with you-- Nanami really is the worst thing that could happen to Keiko, Aiko, or Yuuko, because in trying to get closer to Touga, they've separated themselves from the masses and made themselves individuals that Nanami can target.

To be honest, you're so right that I kind of wonder whether anyone else will post about it when all they can do is agree... but it's really great to see it all written out and analyzed like that. That's an essay I'd love to see on the site. Any other thoughts on Keiko?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top04-26-2008 01:22:06 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

The worst Nanami can do to Keiko is just making everyone in clubs and classes alienate her. She doesn't have influence over Touga such that he would actually listen to her and dates other girls instead of Keiko. Touga himself is pretty selfish and proud. And, Nanami's biggest threat is Utena (Because Touga is after her), but the worst she's done is a package of curry powder she didn't use and a head statue from the elephant trio. I don't think Keiko is worrying about Nanami destroying her chance with Touga. Being with Nanami for probably about a year (Nanami's 13 when the duels begin), Keiko should be aware of Nanami's influence over Touga (or the lack of it).

Of course, my opinion is biased toward the idea that Keiko is getting close to Touga not necessarily for the possibility for a deeper, longer-lasting romantic relationship. (I just don't sense the "love" aura coming from her) I'm more inclined to believe that Keiko is more in it for the status like Wakaba.

Last edited by Hiraku (04-26-2008 01:23:27 AM)

#4 | Back to Top04-26-2008 05:17:08 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

That was a good anaylsis! Not long at all, there's never too long when it comes to Utena feel free to throw in some more if you want.

I'm tempted to agree with some of Hikaru's response as well. She wants to be special which makes me think they were *originally* in it for Touga but were *mostly* in it for Nanami or at least lost sight of the original goal in all the glamour of the step towards it. Another thing that makes me think this is, and don't quote me harshly because I don't remember too tough, but at the beginning of the black rose arc episode I think there's a scene with all three girls in the room talking, I don't even remember them talking about Touga, I really don't, I remember them fawning over how lucky and grateful and appreciative they are that they met Nanami and that she *chose* them, almost like they were the *chosen ones*, like being friends with her would make them *special*, much the same way being close to Saionji elevated Wakaba. It's like if someone of a higher rank than you thinks your worthy of their attentions it makes you something better somehow. It's weird because I'm sure this chosen one thing is a recurring theme in the series but I can't put my finger on it, like the seitokai are chosen ones, and I remember Mikages secrectary going, you may be one of "The Chosen". A rant for another day perhaps?

And Nanami apparantly warned them not to get close to her brother, or that they'd be consequences if they did, so I'm guessing they may not be with her so much to get to him anymore. Especially if they hardly see him or are further away from him than they originally were to start with. I think it's kind of like picking poisons, her position with Nanami buys her status but the down side of it is the crap Nanami dumps on her, what it does to her dignity and the fact that pursuing the object of her affections is actually a dangerous task. I don't think that she believes that Touga and her can have a deep and meaningful relationship, she see's him as being from a different world, but if she can get close to him, just a little more above the average swarm, than that's enough, she still has the prestige that an alliance with Nanami gets her anyway. So I think after awhile it's no longer be with Nanami to get to Touga so much as that root is so obviously and painfully flawed, meaning the two goals become seperate again. I think it's more they want the privilage of staying with Nanami and they want to be closer to Touga. But the two desires unfortuantely clash.

Which might be why she takes both oppotunities that are given to her in the series, the second one hardly enough to make her Touga's wife, but she's at least alone with Touga and her words make it obvious she doesn't want Nanami to learn of this---what's important though in this scene is the fact she doesn't care--she's smacking lips with Touga still thinking Nanami's he's sister, she doesn't wait to find out that their not related before she makes takes the chance, she thinks they are and takes it anyway. She doesn't need to wait for Nanami's rank to diminish, Nanami's a crap route anyway and it didn't buy her neither of the oppotunities she grasps, but she would like to go back to her physically and socially unharmed and still revelling in being one of the chosen. What I thought was interesting and has already been mentioned somewhere, Keiko calls Touga cold when he says he's line about not being Nanami's brother and not really caring about her, and is pretty non-responsive when Nanami hits her, she only hits back when Nanami denounces her as a person, which makes me think issues of status, rank and worth are more the name of the game than love and romance. Keiko has this whole erggg, the injustice! the audacity! errgg why can't I do what I want! thing going on, more than the weepy kind of sentimental angst some of the other characters have. Also she's a Libra. I rest my case.

Hikaru wrote:

The worst Nanami can do to Keiko is just making everyone in clubs and classes alienate her. She doesn't have influence over Touga such that he would actually listen to her and dates other girls instead of Keiko. Touga himself is pretty selfish and proud. And, Nanami's biggest threat is Utena (Because Touga is after her), but the worst she's done is a package of curry powder she didn't use and a head statue from the elephant trio.

I'm not so sure Hikaru, I also agree with the idea of Keiko being wary of Nanami, I do think its legitamite, I mean seriously, rejection by my friends, friends I knew *before* Nanami by the way, alienation from the things and people I enjoy---do people even go outside Ohtori to do their hobbies?? O.o Keiko would of had some pretty empty school life, also poisonous curries and and being stripped maliciously in front of a crowd is not my cup of tea either, and we know by the final episodes that Nanami can "bust you up" Saionji (though comically) and the trio themselves being an example, we also know from her first duel with Utena that attempted murder and killing harmless animals isn't beyond Nanami. Reason to be scared. *nods* ah-ha!

There were a few interesting things about Keiko's episode that I remember sticking out. For example when she shares her umbrella with Touga, the umbrella is yellow and so is her top, but what's strange is that this is one of the few scenes where we don't see Nanami in her colour, she's in a sort of liliac or lavender isn't she, a colour I assosciate with Akio and a colour I remember not having a lot of positive connations either. Could Keiko by Touga's side in Nanami's colours reflect Nanami's fear of being replaced, or perhaps indicate Keiko's inabitlity to escape her, Nanami seems to be part of a system Keiko has come to resent, and its something that she's had to fit into in order to make the best of it (shown by the shirt) and Nanami herself is a danger that's constantly over her head even if Nanami wasn't physically present she would be pyschologically, (perhaps shown by the umbrella in Nanami's colours being over her head) she's chosen to carry this umbrella to divide herself from the masses, she's no longer caught up in the downpour, and she's going to use this umbrella to get close to Touga.

To be honest when I first watched that I actually thought she was going to *give* Touga the umbrella and than use it as an excuse to see him alone later, as she'd be collecting it. Yea....I know strange....

Anyway Keiko's love for Touga is as flawed as most of the cast anyway, she talks about Nanami hogging him and monopolizing he's attention, and she sounds a like a miffed child at times yelling at her friend over a toy, "I want a go! How comes you always get a go! It's not fair just cos your DNA gave it to you!", there's little appreciation for him as a person.......there's something in Wakaba's pursuit that though similarly flawed rings a little more sincerely, the fact that she has knowledge of the entire student council and yet doesn't kowtow to any of them and yet *still* picks Saionji specifically is reflective of her tastes, there's something in him that she wants outside of he's position at school.

I'm curious to know what other people made of the umbrella Anthy was holding at the start of the duel, the red and white made me think of Touga as Keiko's prince but I never thought too hard about it.

Off topic: did anybody else think Anthy's words at the end of that black rose episode was her referring to herself?

#5 | Back to Top04-26-2008 09:22:42 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Oh, no, I know very well that Nanami's good with lots and lots of malicious (even murderous) schemes, they're VERY damaging to Keikos' place in school, but they're more of a roundabout methods. And it appeared to me that Keiko is more worried about her place in school than about Touga (Then again, being able to date Touga is something that would certainly earn her a spot in the higher-ups of the Ohtori hierarchy). I didn't think convincing Touga to leave Keiko is one of them. She would've just told Touga to leave Utena a long time ago if permanently losing Touga's attention is as easy as that. Whether or not Keiko is aware of Nanami's true place in Touga's heart is something that may need further analysis, though.

Eheheh... as far as Anthy's umbrella is concerned, though, I didn't think much either except that it matches her own color and very "Indian-esque". And, I can't help but feel that there's an intent of mockery and ridicule coming from Anthy (Like the milkshake... god, now I want milkshake)

Last edited by Hiraku (04-26-2008 09:23:55 AM)

#6 | Back to Top04-26-2008 11:35:20 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Hiraku wrote:

Oh, no, I know very well that Nanami's good with lots and lots of malicious (even murderous) schemes, they're VERY damaging to Keikos' place in school, but they're more of a roundabout methods. And it appeared to me that Keiko is more worried about her place in school than about Touga (Then again, being able to date Touga is something that would certainly earn her a spot in the higher-ups of the Ohtori hierarchy). I didn't think convincing Touga to leave Keiko is one of them. She would've just told Touga to leave Utena a long time ago if permanently losing Touga's attention is as easy as that. Whether or not Keiko is aware of Nanami's true place in Touga's heart is something that may need further analysis, though.

Eheheh... as far as Anthy's umbrella is concerned, though, I didn't think much either except that it matches her own color and very "Indian-esque". And, I can't help but feel that there's an intent of mockery and ridicule coming from Anthy (Like the milkshake... god, now I want milkshake)

Oh no I seperated both points no I defintely agree that Nanami has no power over who Touga see's anyway and actually though grudingly accepts that, in fact I mean with the lack of scrupples Touga shows in most cases I don't think telling him anything bad about Keiko would affect him.

Well.....Anthy is.....Anthy *sighs* oh god the milkshake, that deserves it's own thread......

#7 | Back to Top04-26-2008 09:19:25 PM

Mooshay
New Student

Ooh, yay! I was actually kicking myself all day for posting something so pointless, but I guess people really do think there's more to say.

Commence the super-long-reply-post! If you already read what others were saying, just skim my quotes. ;D

Hiraku wrote:

The worst Nanami can do to Keiko is just making everyone in clubs and classes alienate her. She doesn't have influence over Touga such that he would actually listen to her and dates other girls instead of Keiko. Touga himself is pretty selfish and proud.

I don't think Keiko is worrying about Nanami destroying her chance with Touga. Being with Nanami for probably about a year (Nanami's 13 when the duels begin), Keiko should be aware of Nanami's influence over Touga (or the lack of it).

Yeah, she really doesn't; Touga pretty much does whatever he wants, regardless of what she wants. But I'm not so sure Keiko and her friends see how little influence and standing Nanami really has with Touga, or they might not be sticking with her. In public at least, he lets her cling all over him, so I think to most it would seem like he really would do what she says sometimes. But I didn't really think about Keiko KNOWING Nanami wouldn't be able to influence her brother, I'll keep that in mind next time I see that episode.

Hiraku wrote:

And, Nanami's biggest threat is Utena (Because Touga is after her), but the worst she's done is a package of curry powder she didn't use and a head statue from the elephant trio.

She's also apparently sent out her flunkies on random slapping missions, and of course tried to get a shy girl afreaid of strangers to be publicly stripped in the middle of a party. I don't know, I really think all the cruelty you see from Nanami on-screen implies that she does just as much to others off-screen too, and Keiko would be right there to see and participate in most of it. That would be a real deterrent to getting on her bad side.

Hiraku wrote:

Of course, my opinion is biased toward the idea that Keiko is getting close to Touga not necessarily for the possibility for a deeper, longer-lasting romantic relationship. (I just don't sense the "love" aura coming from her) I'm more inclined to believe that Keiko is more in it for the status like Wakaba.

Actually, I see what you mean there. I didn't notice that before! I guess I have to watch the series more than twice to pick up on everything, huh. ;D But I think that also adds to her romantic ideal of Touga. From my experience, young girls really idolize those they have crushes on, and that whole status thing may be adding to or even creating her thoughts of how wonderful her beloved Touga is, and her wish to be with him-- maybe because, deep down, she feels she could be just as good as Nanami if she were connected to someone wonderful too.

Coco Melancholy wrote:

I'm tempted to agree with some of Hikaru's response as well. She wants to be special which makes me think they were *originally* in it for Touga but were *mostly* in it for Nanami or at least lost sight of the original goal in all the glamour of the step towards it. Another thing that makes me think this is, and don't quote me harshly because I don't remember too tough, but at the beginning of the black rose arc episode I think there's a scene with all three girls in the room talking, I don't even remember them talking about Touga, I really don't, I remember them fawning over how lucky and grateful and appreciative they are that they met Nanami and that she *chose* them, almost like they were the *chosen ones*, like being friends with her would make them *special*, much the same way being close to Saionji elevated Wakaba.

That's another good point. I actually think that's true of Aiko and Yuuko (hope I have their names right, I'm not referencing anything right now XD), but not Keiko. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the other girls ever showing too much of an interest in Touga ever again, but Keiko seems to be constantly pining for Touga, and has a lot of built-up resentment about Nanami not being so special after all, which she lets loose when Nanami slaps her in that whole garden scene where she and Touga seem to be hooking up. Nanami's status may help her socially, but I think she at least was always hoping for the bigger prize.

Coco Melancholy wrote:

I don't think that she believes that Touga and her can have a deep and meaningful relationship, she see's him as being from a different world, but if she can get close to him, just a little more above the average swarm, than that's enough, she still has the prestige that an alliance with Nanami gets her anyway.

I do think she sees herself as hopelessly far beneath him, yes, but remember that she's only 13 or so. How many poor deluded preteens have tried to send pop stars love letters? ;D I think she logically knows it would never work out, but she still has that hope deep down, no matter how hard she tries to get rid of it.

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Which might be why she takes both oppotunities that are given to her in the series, the second one hardly enough to make her Touga's wife, but she's at least alone with Touga and her words make it obvious she doesn't want Nanami to learn of this---what's important though in this scene is the fact she doesn't care--she's smacking lips with Touga still thinking Nanami's he's sister, she doesn't wait to find out that their not related before she makes takes the chance, she thinks they are and takes it anyway.

I've only seen the series twice so I may be wrong, but hadn't it become pretty much evident by that point that they weren't related? Keiko and her friends were the ones confused about the blood type thing in the first place, and at the very least rumor travels very quickly at a school. Even suspecting that Nanami may be only her equal after all might have given her enough of a confidence boost to take a chance. I think Touga actually saying it was just a final confirmation.

Coco Melancholy wrote:

What I thought was interesting and has already been mentioned somewhere, Keiko calls Touga cold when he says he's line about not being Nanami's brother and not really caring about her, and is pretty non-responsive when Nanami hits her, she only hits back when Nanami denounces her as a person, which makes me think issues of status, rank and worth are more the name of the game than love and romance. Keiko has this whole erggg, the injustice! the audacity! errgg why can't I do what I want! thing going on, more than the weepy kind of sentimental angst some of the other characters have. Also she's a Libra. I rest my case.

I think it was the frustration that someone who was really just as unworthy as her was keeping her from doing what she wanted-- as in, being with the one she (thinks she) loves-- that made her so angry, yeah, so it's kind of a combination of both?

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Could Keiko by Touga's side in Nanami's colours reflect Nanami's fear of being replaced, or perhaps indicate Keiko's inabitlity to escape her, Nanami seems to be part of a system Keiko has come to resent, and its something that she's had to fit into in order to make the best of it (shown by the shirt) and Nanami herself is a danger that's constantly over her head even if Nanami wasn't physically present she would be pyschologically, (perhaps shown by the umbrella in Nanami's colours being over her head) she's chosen to carry this umbrella to divide herself from the masses, she's no longer caught up in the downpour, and she's going to use this umbrella to get close to Touga.

That clothes thing is pretty interesting. I'm leaning more toward her "replacing" Nanami by catching his attention. At least, that's how the jealous little sister would see it. I'm not smart enough to have anything to say about that umbrella thing, though. I hope someone else is!

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Anyway Keiko's love for Touga is as flawed as most of the cast anyway, she talks about Nanami hogging him and monopolizing he's attention, and she sounds a like a miffed child at times yelling at her friend over a toy, "I want a go! How comes you always get a go! It's not fair just cos your DNA gave it to you!", there's little appreciation for him as a person.......

Yeah, I agree with you. But we have to remember how young she is. At that age, a lot of "love" is just about "LIEK OMG HE IS TEH KEWTNESS LOLOLOLO", she probably idolizes him, especially because of his status and apparent desirability.

...geez, I just can't make anything short, can I? Thanks for all the discussion! I guess that teaches me to write something up after thinking of it earlier that day, without thinking about all the angles on it. XD

#8 | Back to Top04-26-2008 11:12:54 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I don't have a lot to contribute to this discussion because I mostly agree with the major points. But I read this whole thread, so I'm going to make a post about it, by gum!

I'd have to agree with the idea that Aiko and Yuuko have given up on getting any closer to Touga than their service to Nanami allows them. Keiko, on the other hand, may be looking at the bigger picture. The fact is Touga is going to settle down with someone eventually and, no matter how much he may or may not care for his little sister, it certainly can't be Nanami. It's also unlikely to be any of the nameless admirers that surround him. I think it's possible that Keiko is looking ahead to that far off day and hoping that if she works really hard it might just be her that he picks.

In that way, her service to Nanami is still logical despite how illogical it may seem to the viewer. First, Nanami uses the trio of girls almost entirely in acts against those she views as threats of stealing Touga's attention. Although it means getting her hands dirty, Keiko is able to ensure that no one else will have an easy time reaching the object of her affections. Not only is Nanami more likely to pick the right targets, but she also gives the official orders, meaning Keiko has a thin excuse for her own actions. Second, just serving Nanami allows Keiko to be close to Touga on occasion, and when she's being careful it flies under Nanami's radar. Thirdly, whoever ends up with Touga is going to have a much easier time if Nanami approves or, at least, doesn't completely hate the girl in question. Keiko is undoubtedly the leader of the three girls, she takes point, she does the slapping and the talking and most everything else. She likely hopes that her diligence will pay off eventually, if Touga has to pick a girl, who better than loyal, faithful, near-perfect Keiko?

Of course she slips up. The umbrella in the rain, we see her pause to contemplate the situation; weighing the potential benefits against the potential detriments. It's just a personal opinion, but she doesn't seem to hesitate based on shyness or fear of rejection. It looks like she knows this would be overstepping her bounds (especially given Nanami's attitude in this episode) but she can't help herself from following her heart.

When she learns that Nanami might not be Touga's actual sister the whole plan goes out the window. Suddenly it doesn't seem as if Nanami's standing is relevant at all. In that case, Keiko doesn't need Nanami's blessing, approval or anything else. She couldn't ingratiate herself more than a blood relative, but remove the blood and it's all fair game. Thus she's sickened by how much time and effort she expended into a dead-end of an adopted sister when she could have been giving her all to stand above the swarm.

It turns out I had more to say than I thought. emot-redface There are other things I wanted to mention, but that's enough rambling from me for now.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#9 | Back to Top04-27-2008 03:05:25 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Mooshay wrote:

...geez, I just can't make anything short, can I? Thanks for all the discussion! I guess that teaches me to write something up after thinking of it earlier that day, without thinking about all the angles on it. XD

*rolls eyes* stop complaining your points are fine after reading your responses I have nothing to defend of my points, you make a good debate and I'll probably have to watch that episode again.

#10 | Back to Top04-27-2008 12:26:36 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think ultimately Keiko and her buddies want nothing from Touga that Touga isn't himself busy trying to get from someone else. Keiko strikes me as thinking she's emotionally interested in Touga, but her behavior and relative lack of evidence to support that suggest it's more the status and power and prestige she'd get being his 'favorite'. I think this contrasts Wakaba, who I would say, Hiraku, is much more genuine in her interest.

Wakaba was perfectly happy to hide Saionji in her dorm room and keep him entirely to herself. She told no one and felt no great compulsion to do so. It's not the status she wants from Saionji, it's simply Saionji. Keiko, on the other hand, I strongly doubt could hide Touga in a such a way without surreptitiously spilling the beans to every gossip in the school. When she's in the garden with him, she expresses concern for being out in public, but you get the impression from her voice she's completely full of shit, and except for Nanami possibly pounding her face in, she really wants everyone to see what she's doing.

In this way I almost want to say that really, Touga provides the same thing, potentially, that Nanami does. Only he's the far, far better deal. Keiko and her friends seem to want to make themselves special and standouts, and they figure this is best done through relative closeness to the people who are already that. If this isn't a primary motivation I think it's still there, because it's how they survive Nanami's BS at all. Their position at her side is still better than having none at all. It's just that Touga is really the prize there.

There are a lot of examples of people chasing power, prestige, status, in the series. But contrasting Touga with these girls you get a very strong sense of the show's view of what it means to be special. Akio harps on that in Wakaba's duel episode, and the show itself supports him by pretty much beating into the ground any character that doesn't have funky colored hair. Touga is relatively successful in his pursuit of power, but he's special. He's charismatic, motivated, and...male. Unfortunately he's not as (shortbuslol) special as Akio, but I'd still say he's pretty successful overall. Keiko and her group are ordinary girls, there's really nothing notable about them, and unlike Wakaba, they never even get their moment to truly shine. They're stubborn and able to take abuse, sure, but they don't have what it takes to jockey for status or truly go after the things they want the way Touga can. Touga usually compares to Saionji on the issue of status and power, but here you can make a comparison in the similarity of their willingness to do things. Touga sleeps his way up. Keiko and her girls you get the distinct impression would do the same if they could bag the elephant (haha funny saying to use here), but it goes to show it takes more than that.

Another thought I had while reading the essay was that, is it possible Keiko, Aiko, and Yuuko put up with Nanami as well as they do because deep down, they think they could supplant her, or ruin her by their abandonment? You have a figurehead here that does none of the work and in fact relies rather readily on the efforts of these three, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think if you were one of them that you could destroy Nanami. If not by leaving her without workers, by what you know about her that others don't. And if nothing else, three to one SHOULD give you an advantage in a fight. (Didn't. Wow.) But this comes back to comparing them to Touga in my mind. He'd know how to work that position, how to use what he knows and the responsibility given to him to work out an advantage. They lack the sense for it.

Wow, I only mentioned Akio like twice! I'm so proud of myself. But I don't want to hear any more of this 'oh oops i'm talking too much' crap! Kids are acting like analyzing is something to be ashamed of. Not so. This thread is awesome and I endorse it wholeheartedly. Things are never as obvious as they look, especially when it comes to SKU.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top04-27-2008 01:30:37 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Giovanna wrote:

I think ultimately Keiko and her buddies want nothing from Touga that Touga isn't himself busy trying to get from someone else. Keiko strikes me as thinking she's emotionally interested in Touga, but her behavior and relative lack of evidence to support that suggest it's more the status and power and prestige she'd get being his 'favorite'. I think this contrasts Wakaba, who I would say, Hiraku, is much more genuine in her interest.

Wakaba was perfectly happy to hide Saionji in her dorm room and keep him entirely to herself. She told no one and felt no great compulsion to do so. It's not the status she wants from Saionji, it's simply Saionji. Keiko, on the other hand, I strongly doubt could hide Touga in a such a way without surreptitiously spilling the beans to every gossip in the school. When she's in the garden with him, she expresses concern for being out in public, but you get the impression from her voice she's completely full of shit, and except for Nanami possibly pounding her face in, she really wants everyone to see what she's doing.

Yes I sort of agree with all the points you've made but after hearing the others maybe I need to rewatch it? I'm rather ungrudgingly sticking to my rather negative shallower thoughts that status is the name of the game here, since I'm failing to develop any thoughts on the points raised against me, I might have to sit this one out XD, anyway I thought of this but in the end didn't write it because keeping Saionji in her room *had* to be a secrect anyway right? If she told others and anyone important found out, that's it it'd be over he'd have to leave and she'd be in trouble. I didn't get the vibe that this was the main reason but Wakaba doesn't strike me as stupid and l think she would want to keep a good thing going.

I've always been a bit funny about this whole specialness and chosen one business in the series overall though, I mean really, the only thing I could clearly see that made Wakaba shine in the end was a bit of confidence, bar anything Akio said about shining for "a limited time only". emot-rolleyes maybe cos Ohtori's he's world.

Giovanna wrote:

Another thought I had while reading the essay was that, is it possible Keiko, Aiko, and Yuuko put up with Nanami as well as they do because deep down, they think they could supplant her, or ruin her by their abandonment? You have a figurehead here that does none of the work and in fact relies rather readily on the efforts of these three, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think if you were one of them that you could destroy Nanami. If not by leaving her without workers, by what you know about her that others don't. And if nothing else, three to one SHOULD give you an advantage in a fight. (Didn't. Wow.) But this comes back to comparing them to Touga in my mind. He'd know how to work that position, how to use what he knows and the responsibility given to him to work out an advantage. They lack the sense for it.

Never thought of this, will no ponder silently....hmmm.

Giovanna wrote:

But I don't want to hear any more of this 'oh oops i'm talking too much' crap! Kids are acting like analyzing is something to be ashamed of. Not so. This thread is awesome and I endorse it wholeheartedly. Things are never as obvious as they look, especially when it comes to SKU.

*nods* yes. I totally agree, I had a lot of fun reading your points.

Oh yes, and just for the fun of it, some random info about Umbrella's in India:

These parasols were originally used by the attendants and handmaidens to protect the Maharajahs and Maharanis from the fierce Indian sun. Today they are still used in Indian festivals and pagaents, and in the north of India are used by grooms at weddings.

Jean_Baptiste_Tavernier, in his "Voyage to the East," says that on each side of the Mogul's throne were two umbrellas, and also describes the hall of the King of Ava as decorated with an umbrella. The Maratha princes, who reigned at Poona and Sattara, had the title of Ch'hatra-pati, "Lord of the Umbrella." The cháta of the Indian and Burmese princes is large and heavy, and requires a special attendant, who has a regular position in the royal household. In Ava it seems to have been part of the king's title, that he was "King of the white elephant, and Lord of the twenty-four Umbrellas." Persons of rank in the Mahratha court, who were not permitted the right of carrying an Umbrella, used a screen, a flat vertical disc called AA'-ab-gir, carried by an attendant. In 1855 the King of Burma directed a letter to the Marquis of Dalhousie in which he styles himself "His great, glorious, and most excellent Majesty, who reigns over the kingdoms of Thunaparanta, Tampadipa, and all the great Umbrella-wearing chiefs of the Eastern countries".

The Umbrella become very popular in the past one thousand years and the Umbrella used to be made out of cotton to shade people from the sun then a fine piece of material called silk and wood.

#12 | Back to Top04-27-2008 03:36:37 PM

Mooshay
New Student

Hurrah, even more to talk about!

Ragnarok wrote:

Although it means getting her hands dirty, Keiko is able to ensure that no one else will have an easy time reaching the object of her affections. Not only is Nanami more likely to pick the right targets, but she also gives the official orders, meaning Keiko has a thin excuse for her own actions.

I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure I'm getting that vibe from Keiko. She seems to be more angry and frustrated that she's stopped from even getting her CHANCE at being with Touga. I'm not sure how much she wants to beat down anyone else looking for that chance, but that's something to consider.

Ragnarok wrote:

Thirdly, whoever ends up with Touga is going to have a much easier time if Nanami approves or, at least, doesn't completely hate the girl in question. Keiko is undoubtedly the leader of the three girls, she takes point, she does the slapping and the talking and most everything else. She likely hopes that her diligence will pay off eventually, if Touga has to pick a girl, who better than loyal, faithful, near-perfect Keiko?

I think that's only partially true. Nanami is very childish and unrealistic about keeping her brother's affections all to herself, and I don't think she would EVER be content with it. And she seemed to be even MORE insulted when she found out Keiko was interested in him, because the "parasite" turned out to be right in front of her. It seems that Nanami would more view her as a traitor than be happy that it's someone she likes. Maybe after some time to cool down she would stop holding that grudge, but I don't think she would ever give anyone interested in her brother an easy time of it.

Giovanna wrote:

Wakaba was perfectly happy to hide Saionji in her dorm room and keep him entirely to herself. She told no one and felt no great compulsion to do so. It's not the status she wants from Saionji, it's simply Saionji.

I do agree that Wakaba was motivated more by genuine caring for Saionji, but couldn't it be said that she also wants status? Not social status, but she wants the status of being important to someone, needed by someone, the status of being "special" instead of just another girl. I think that's a much less selfish need for status, though, since she feels she gets it just from being needed by someone she loves. Maybe I'm stretching the meaning of the word 'status' a bit, though.

Giovanna wrote:

Another thought I had while reading the essay was that, is it possible Keiko, Aiko, and Yuuko put up with Nanami as well as they do because deep down, they think they could supplant her, or ruin her by their abandonment? You have a figurehead here that does none of the work and in fact relies rather readily on the efforts of these three, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think if you were one of them that you could destroy Nanami.

At the very least, I think there's a lot of resentment that Nanami really wouldn't be so special if it weren't for her connection to her brother. They could be just as special in the same position. Maybe they do have some thoughts of fighting back by removing that status, but I don't think they'd act on it. Besides, it's sort of done for them when it turns out Nanami's unrelated... though I wonder why all it takes is a beating to get them back on her side. What could she have threatened them with?

Coco Melancholy wrote:

These parasols were originally used by the attendants and handmaidens to protect the Maharajahs and Maharanis from the fierce Indian sun.

Hmm, a thought. Might this be to suggest some sort of contrast between the two? Anthy has a sun umbrella, Keiko has an umbrella to protect her from the rain. Anthy has her own colors (what she wears anyway) on hers, Keiko has Nanami's. I don't know what difference that would be pointing out, though. Any ideas?

#13 | Back to Top04-27-2008 03:45:04 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Mooshay wrote:

At the very least, I think there's a lot of resentment that Nanami really wouldn't be so special if it weren't for her connection to her brother. They could be just as special in the same position. Maybe they do have some thoughts of fighting back by removing that status, but I don't think they'd act on it. Besides, it's sort of done for them when it turns out Nanami's unrelated... though I wonder why all it takes is a beating to get them back on her side. What could she have threatened them with?

I think the real significance of the beating is that it made explicit the power dynamic that was always there.  Nanami'd always been able to use her connection to Touga to retain the alpha female position.  Without that, she's forced to find it within herself to use a much more direct approach.  The beating reasserted her dominance and got the little dogs back into line.  I think it's an interesting example of the general pattern of that episode; she's always defined herself with her relation to Touga in mind, and she's forced to reassess who she is.

#14 | Back to Top05-03-2008 09:45:56 AM

Blacky
Miki Molester

Keiko was just a slave. But, one day she realized, that her master is not a godess. Her soul was broken. It is sad, but people in our life are masters,slaves, or just people...

Do you like people? Do you like thes wonderful world? Yes? Let`s skake hands!

#15 | Back to Top05-03-2008 02:08:06 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Mooshay wrote:

Hmm, a thought. Might this be to suggest some sort of contrast between the two? Anthy has a sun umbrella, Keiko has an umbrella to protect her from the rain. Anthy has her own colors (what she wears anyway) on hers, Keiko has Nanami's. I don't know what difference that would be pointing out, though. Any ideas?

I would very much like to hear what anyone has to say on this matter.  It would be very interesting to compare Anthy's servitude to Keiko's using this as evidence.  You would think the sun and the rain would mean different things in this context, as well as the colors.  It would add more to where Keiko stands as well as satisfy my craving for a bit of Anthy goodness.  etc-love

#16 | Back to Top05-03-2008 02:32:16 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

Alexandra wrote:

Mooshay wrote:

I would very much like to hear what anyone has to say on this matter.  It would be very interesting to compare Anthy's servitude to Keiko's using this as evidence.  You would think the sun and the rain would mean different things in this context, as well as the colors.  It would add more to where Keiko stands as well as satisfy my craving for a bit of Anthy goodness.  etc-love

I don't really think it has to do something with a contrast between these two.
Keikos umbrella actually was orange, which forms if you mix red AND yellow. Anthy may have her own color, but in fact both of them are just some kind of slaves, a person whose will is choked. The both have a master, they both obey almost termless and the situations they are in are a tiny bit alike.
They may have different motifs but thinking about it, I get the feeling they are more similar than diverse.
Just my two cents. And I am not too good at analizing emot-rolleyes

Last edited by DeepSubmerge (05-03-2008 02:33:22 PM)

#17 | Back to Top03-06-2009 05:03:21 AM

Nickyhabac
Wakaba Wrangler

Following the theory that we should not say sorry for adding something I wont say sorry where I normally would in case this is just a small point.

I don't think its been mentioned before but sharing an Umbrella is actually quite a big symbol in Japan.
To offer to share an Umbrellla with a guy means there's some interest there, stereotypically and its understood and means something in the same way visual cues mean things to us westerners that may not have as much impact as in Japan.

(Not to say that we wouldn't pick up on sharing an Umbrella in the west, its just we would look at it on more of a case-by-case basis rather than knowing straight away what it stands for - it just may not have quite as much instant significance as in Japan, like a few cultural things in the show some people could miss or conversely read into too much - Such as Keiko being like "OMG I hope no one seees us!" - that's a pretty stock phrase for what a Japanese girl has to say in public in Anime if she's gettin it on with a guy and I'd be cautious about trying to read into it.)

In the west, for example, we might draw a heart in the condesation of a window, or scratch into the bark of a tree something like"UT 4 AH" or what-have-you.
In Japan its quite common to draw an umbrella with the initials underneath.

Last edited by Nickyhabac (03-06-2009 05:05:15 AM)

Board footer