This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-20-2012 09:26:15 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Absolute Destiny: Tea Time!!

I'm sure that some of you are familiar with Adagio Teas, an online gourmet tea shop that's grown increasingly popular because of their unique custom blending system. Lots of people have been using this feature to create, well, "fandom" teas: blends inspired by their favorite characters/books/shows/video games.

Well, let's just say I may have made a couple myself...

Just the three pivotal characters for now, I'll be working my way through the student council next. Does anyone have any input/suggestions?

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#2 | Back to Top12-20-2012 11:58:59 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Absolute Destiny: Tea Time!!

Tea input/suggestions, you say?

Well I certainly do enjoy Gyokuro, although it's one of the most temperamental teas. Leaf amount, water amount, temperature and brew time all need to be perfect. But ahh, when you get it right, and the umami is coming through, there's nothing like it. Matcha is definitely something I enjoy occasionally, although due to its very nature, it's one of the most bitter teas, even when brewed properly. Genmaicha is also an eternal friend, even if it is not really on the same level of quality.

Personally though, when it comes to Japanese greens, Tamaryokucha is my personal favorite. It's similar to the Gyokuro, but there's something else to it, a "berryness" so to speak that gives it something special, and it's far less temperamental to brew.

Of course, you can't discount Chinese greens. Lung Jing is of course a classic, and deservedly so. On the other hand, I recently had a chance to try Huangshan Mao Feng, and I was rather disappointed at its "ordinaryness". It was fine, smooth, teaish, but nothing out of the common way for something that's supposed to be one of the Ten Famous Teas of China. China greens can certainly rise to great heights, however. They have an earthiness, a "pungency" so to speak, although that's not the right word for it really, that gives them a depth and fullness that Japanese greens can lack.

Now when it comes to black tea, China has no competition. Tea dilettantes can rave all they like about Indian and Ceylon varietals, but Keemun Hao-ya A, Dian Hong, and Golden Monkey won't be beaten. Bohea is also superb. At the same time, Lapsang Souchong is only "okay" to me, and while Pu-erh has an interesting elemental earthiness, it's not something I care to drink all the time.

And of course, when it comes to white tea...well, there are only Chinese varieties, after all. Bai Hao Yinzhen, Bai Mu Dan, Shou Mei, all excellent in their different ways. Bai Mu Dan is probably my favorite though. Fuller than Yinzhen, and while Shou Mei adds an interesting "witheriness", it's just not on the same level.

Forgot to talk about oolongs. Well I'll be honest, there just so may varities it can be pretty overwhelming. Of course you can't go wrong with a good Ti Guanyin. I've had some competition-grade stuff that was absolutely one of the best teas I've ever had, although it was rather too delicate for my preferences. Hairy Crab is a much more robust, everyday kind of oolong. I really prefer the more oxidized varieties, but I haven't yet had a chance to try any of the Formosan types. Now I will say this, forget about Buddha's Palm. It tastes almost exactly like Houjicha, and while that's a pleasantly toasty departure from most tea flavors, it's just not worth the cost.

Okay, it's not fair to dismiss Indian teas out of hand. The problem is when most people say they love Assam or Darjeeling, they're talking about low grade crap that they got out of a tea bag, which is nothing but the waste dust of better grades. REAL high grade loose-leaf Indian teas are undeniably spectacular. Another thing I like about Indian teas is, there are a lot of experimental types. My personal favorite is probably the silver-tipped Darjeeling from the Makaibari estate. This is a type of "white" Darjeeling that is just amazing. It's both full and delicate at the same time, with a sort of fruity nuttiness...or could it be a nutty fruitiness? So hard to describe. Unfortunately, it's very expensive and yet also often sold out, for obvious reasons.

So what I'm trying to say is...I only drink high-grade unblended teas - single-estate, if possible. emot-tongue

Also, Adagio's prices are way too high for the quality they're selling, which is sadly common on tea-selling sites because they know most people don't have a clue about what they're buying. I order from Upton Tea Imports.

Last edited by Aelanie (12-21-2012 04:11:19 AM)

#3 | Back to Top12-21-2012 10:48:43 AM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

I was sort of more in the vein of concrit on the blends themselves, and suggestions for ingredients on other characters.

I'm not really interested in buying from places other than Adagio for a variety of reasons. I find that their prices aren't outlandish at all compared to their competitors (there are tons of gimmicks, sales, and ways to save money on their blends as opposed to most other large specialty tea shops), their customer service is absolutely awesome, and I can't afford to only drink loose-leaf, it's more of a treat I buy myself ever few months.

#4 | Back to Top01-11-2013 04:23:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well hey, I have an on-topic suggestion. But do you mean tea that the characters would drink, or tea that represents them?

Eh, I'll just go with both.

Saionji would drink the most expensive green tea on the site-- the Sencha Premier. Doesn't matter how good it is, just that it's the most expensive etc-saiowank

However, I think what represents him better would be this blend. It has gunpowder green tea, for the smoke and the intimations of violence, toasted sesame because it tastes like a nut but it's not a nut (you know he's not really crazy, right?), and ginger, for a bit of warmth that's not to everyone's taste.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top01-17-2013 02:33:35 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Yeah I was definitely going to do a green base for Saionji, and I personally LOVE the smoky taste of gunpowder. (unforunately sencha isn't blendable on adagio emot-frown )

(Sigh, I finally make something cool and unique for the fandom and someone else takes up the same project a month after I release my teas. emot-frown There's nothing I can do about it but it does make me kind of upset. )

#6 | Back to Top01-17-2013 03:04:45 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Wait, what? Are you referring to me, or something I don't know about emot-confused

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top01-17-2013 03:07:00 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

No not you, but I was looking in the Utena related tumblr tags today and I found out that someone else has made a bunch of other blends. :T I can't tell them to stop but at the same time, y'know, it was a project I had a lot of pride in doing and now that someone else is doing it that sort of tees me off.

#8 | Back to Top01-17-2013 06:46:37 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Just because they're doing the same thing doesn't mean that they're ripping you off-- it's more like two different people writing an essay about the same aspect of the show. Different levels of skill, different tastes, different viewpoints. Your blends and theirs won't be the same. Besides, who knows? Maybe it has nothing to do with you, but then again maybe you inspired someone who's too shy to say so. Unless they come here and tell us, we won't know for sure.

Go on making your blends, honey. Just because someone else is doing it too doesn't mean yours are any less valid.

Board footer