This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1026 | Back to Top11-07-2008 09:34:49 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Clusterf**k to the White House: The Thread

Couldn't be more right, Gio. Warren Buffet may just have been lucky, but more likely he knows SOMETHING about handling money. And the Google crew isn't doing so badly either. Speaking as an academician, I can say that relying entirely on them is kind of stupid, except in math, where there is no "real world" to worry about.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#1027 | Back to Top11-09-2008 11:48:11 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Postscript!

On Election Night I called the final score at Obama 364 to McCain 174, guessing that Obama would end up winning the close states of Indiana and North Carolina while McCain would retain Missouri and Montana for his party.  Increasingly, it looks like I was right on all four counts.  Yet the final score will not be 364-174, but 365-173 -- off by one.  How did that happen?  Did I add the numbers wrong?

Well, no.  But remember that Nebraska and Maine, alone among the fifty states, split their votes by Congressional district, or CD.  Each candidate gets one vote per CD they carry, plus two bonus votes if they win statewide.  Neither state has ever split its vote in the past; the same candidate has always won all of each state's CDs.

This year breaks that tradition.  Barack Obama seems to have won the Congressional district surrounding Omaha, Nebraska, by the skin of his teeth.  For the first time ever, Nebraska will split its electoral votes.

The punchline is that the Republicans, who control the Nebraska state legislature, want to make sure it's also the last time.  They are now talking about adopting a winner-take-all system of EV distribution like most other states use.

The irony here is that CD apportionment worked exactly as intended for Nebraska.  The point of CD apportionment, from a state's perspective, is that it is a way for a state that would otherwise not be a battleground to capture attention from the campaigns.  If Nebraska were a winner-take-all state, neither candidate would have spent any time there, because McCain's victory was a foregone conclusion.  Instead, the possibility of winning Omaha and its electoral vote led Obama to advertise and organize a ground campaign in that city.  So CD apportionment worked -- it led a candidate to campaign in and address the local issues of beet-red Nebraska.  But the fact that the minority party got an EV out of it led the majority party to remember that, hey, the point of vote apportionment isn't to prop up the interest of our state, it's to make sure we win the election!  As a result, it looks likely that in 2012 the candidates will go back to ignoring Nebraska.

I'm not a particular fan of CD apportionment, as I've talked about earlier on this thread, and I don't much care either way which system Nebraska decides to adopt.  To me, the controversy just reinforces that anything short of electing a president by popular vote allows the states and parties to play self-serving games with democracy.  It's fortunate for the country that in this election, the majority of America and the electoral college will agree on the result!

#1028 | Back to Top11-09-2008 06:13:16 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Mylene wrote:

A friend of mine had this on her LJ and I couldn't pass up sharing it as it completely cracked me up last night.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/ … tesha5.gif

XD Win. *saves*

My best friend and I watched the returns, each with a bottle of alcohol of our choice. For him, vanilla schnapps, and for me, cherry UV. Yeah, we're wimps when it comes to booze. Anyway, it was a great night.

Biokraze, you're pic is awesome too. *also saves*

Here, for those who like silly 4chan memes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/reannaking/mccainwindphone.jpg

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#1029 | Back to Top11-13-2008 07:41:57 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I thought that everyone would get a kick out of this. DO WANT.

#1030 | Back to Top11-23-2008 01:43:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Barack Obama is not the only one going to the White House!  In the weeks since his election (can you believe it's only been three weeks this Tuesday?) he's been putting together a crack team of advisors and Cabinet officers.  Here's what's been reported, in order of presidential succession.

Secretary of State -- Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
I'm still not a Hillary fan, but this is a good pick.  The Secretary of State's most important job is as our top diplomat, and the Clintons represent a more peaceful, cooperative time in American history to the world abroad.  She has built-in recognition and credibility that other candidates, even someone like former U.N. Ambassador and seven-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee Richard Holbrooke, would have had to work harder for.  Plus this position puts Clinton just four heartbeats away from the presidency, so if she can manage to engineer the simultaneous deaths of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Robert Byrd, she will become president.  Good for her.

Secretary of the Treasury -- Timothy Geithner (D-New York Fed president)
No, not a Google founder emot-frown  I don't know much about Geithner.  According to his Wikipedia article, he's never run a business, but he does have two decades' experience doing all kinds of work for the Treasury Department.  I can tell you that Wall Street seems to like him.  Obama announced this pick on Friday an hour before the closing bell, and immediately the Dow jumped several hundred points.

Secretary of Defense -- unannounced
Yeah, okay, but seriously, everyone's pretty sure Obama's going to keep Robert Gates, Bush's final defense secretary.  As an Air Force lieutenant in Vietnam, a former CIA director, and of course the sitting secretary of defense, Gates's credentials are impeccable.  What's more, Gates holds a much more cautious and fact-driven view of foreign policy than his current boss, which lines up nicely with Obama's attitude towards security.  By picking Gates Obama will advertise both that he is bipartisan and that any wars from here on out will be based on reality.

Attorney General -- Eric Holder (D-former Deputy Atty Gnl)
The Attorney General is the head of the Department of Justice.  Holder has been an attorney, judge, or Justice Department employee for thirty-two years.  A deputy attorney general under Bill Clinton, he'd be the first African-American attorney general.  He has a minor scandal under his belt involving advising Clinton to pardon a Wall Street felon who also happened to be a Democratic contributor -- advice which Clinton took.  Holder might yet not be picked, but Obama has reportedly asked him to take this office pending vetting.

Secretary of Commerce -- Governor Bill Richardson (D-NM)
This appointment may actually come as a disappointment to Governor Richardson, who as a former U.N. ambassador, former Energy Secretary, and prominent Obama supporter, may have been hoping for the Secretary of State gig.  Still, he knows a thing or two about international trade and immigration from his time as governor of New Mexico.  According to a 2006 Forbes article, Albuquerque is the most hospitable city in the U.S. for commerce and business, thanks in no small part to Richardson; he is also very fiscally responsible for a Democrat.  He should be up to the job at Commerce.

Secretary of Health and Human Services -- Former Senator Tom Daschle (D-SD)
Normally a position that doesn't get much press, this year Health and Human Services is sure to be an important post as Obama tries to reform health care.  It's not obvious from his Wikipedia article that Daschle has a lot of experience with health care policy.  He did, however, co-author a book on the subject earlier this year that proposed a new health care agenda more or less compatible with Obama's.  Perhaps more importantly, as a former majority leader in the Senate, he knows a thing or two about coalition building; health care bills are not going to get passed if only Democrats vote for them.

Secretary of Homeland Security -- Governor Janet Napolitano (D-AZ)
Richardson's neighbor to the west, Napolitano is at first glance an odd choice for this post.  Apart from being a five-year governor of Arizona, her previous political experience is not in defense but in justice; she was a U.S. attorney under Clinton and served a term as Arizona's Attorney General shortly thereafter.  Her Homeland Security credentials hinge mostly on her experience navigating immigration policy.  Her record here is not so much "moderate" as "extremist both ways;" she doesn't mind giving driver's licenses and tuition aid to illegal immigrants, but she's happy to harshly punish businesses that hire them.  I don't have a clear bead on her.

There have been a few non-Cabinet appointments reported too; I may do a post on them later on, but right now I have some yummy stir-fry to make.  etc-love

#1031 | Back to Top11-23-2008 03:01:16 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Aww emot-frown I really wished he picked the Google-man.

#1032 | Back to Top11-23-2008 07:26:14 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Isn't Mr. Google one of his top economic advisors though?

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (11-23-2008 07:26:29 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#1033 | Back to Top11-23-2008 07:38:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

As far as I know, Eric Schmidt (Google's chairman and CEO) has not yet been given any official position in Obama's administration, though he's been an informal economic advisor of Obama's for a while.  Obama has mentioned that he plans to create a government position of "Chief Technology Officer," and Schmidt would obviously be a terrific candidate for that position.  Technology and economics are linked subjects, so I expect anything Schmidt had to say on the topic of the economy would be taken seriously.

#1034 | Back to Top11-23-2008 08:44:17 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

As far as I know, Eric Schmidt (Google's chairman and CEO) has not yet been given any official position in Obama's administration, though he's been an informal economic advisor of Obama's for a while.  Obama has mentioned that he plans to create a government position of "Chief Technology Officer," and Schmidt would obviously be a terrific candidate for that position.  Technology and economics are linked subjects, so I expect anything Schmidt had to say on the topic of the economy would be taken seriously.

If it helps the cause of Net Neutrality (this election's most overlooked issue - one of them anyway), I'm for it!

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (11-23-2008 08:45:22 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#1035 | Back to Top11-24-2008 11:06:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

President-elect Obama just announced the heads of his economic team.  No Google guys.  The two big names were Timothy Geithner as Secretary of the Treasury (confirming Friday's report) and Larry Summers as director of the National Economic Council.  Geithner's job is more executive, while Summers' is more advisory; Geithner runs a department while Summers formulates policy.  Larry Summers was Treasury Secretary under Clinton and is an award-winning economist.  He also used to be president of Harvard, but had to step down after saying various controversial but provocative things about the sexes and environmentalism that you're not allowed to say when you're president of Harvard.

A third Obama announcement was Christina Romer as director of the Council of Economic Advisers.  I'm not totally clear on the distinction between the CEA and the previously mentioned National Economic Council, and nor do I know much about Christina Romer, so I'm afraid I'm not much help here.  The work economists do is further under the radar than the work politicians do; you can't just Google an economist's record.  Obama praised her as a rising star in the field.

Finally, Obama picked Center for American Progress alumna Melody Barnes to head the Domestic Policy Council, which as I understand it is sort of the domestic policy brainstorming room attended by the president, the domestic portion of the Cabinet, and other top advisors.  Again, I don't know anything about Barnes.  Traditionally the DPC doesn't have a major role in economic policy, but Obama's choice to introduce Barnes with his economic advisors signals that he wants her work to be integrated with theirs.

Obama took the opportunity to present a consensus among conservative and liberal economists that an enormous stimulus package will be necessary to get the economy back on track, though he declined to suggest a number of hundreds of billions of dollars.  Details of how the money will be spent are pending an analysis by his new economic team, but he made clear that this is not going to be another trillion-dollar Wall Street bailout; it will be targeted towards building "a vibrant middle class" and recognizing the link he made during his campaign between Main Street and Wall Street.  Short on details, but then, he's not president yet.

#1036 | Back to Top11-24-2008 11:16:53 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

satyreyes wrote:

He also used to be president of Harvard, but had to step down after saying various controversial but provocative things about the sexes and environmentalism that you're not allowed to say when you're president of Harvard.

Oh geez, THAT Summers? emot-rolleyes

-Truck North

#1037 | Back to Top11-24-2008 11:37:37 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

He also used to be president of Harvard, but had to step down after saying various controversial but provocative things about the sexes and environmentalism that you're not allowed to say when you're president of Harvard.

That's the guy emot-smile  If you ask me, the whole brouhaha that ended with him stepping down was a mountain over a molehill.  He wasn't obviously being sexist, he was being iconoclastic, which I think we should view as a good trait in both a president of Harvard and an economic advisor.  He could have expressed himself more diplomatically, but frankly in an economic chief I want someone who's blunt to a fault.

#1038 | Back to Top11-24-2008 01:41:03 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

That's the guy emot-smile  If you ask me, the whole brouhaha that ended with him stepping down was a mountain over a molehill.  He wasn't obviously being sexist, he was being iconoclastic, which I think we should view as a good trait in both a president of Harvard and an economic advisor.  He could have expressed himself more diplomatically, but frankly in an economic chief I want someone who's blunt to a fault.

Didn't he say that women aren't as naturally good at math and science as men?

To me, it is an issue to at least call someone out on because it's operating under an unproven assumption, and in essence saying that it's okay to discriminate against women in science and math career fields because they're not as good at it anyway. Any discussions that presuppose a "biological" basis behind factors rooted in society, such as that women aren't encouraged to be good at logic or that men aren't supposed to show emotion just inhibit the potential for growth in individuals.

So I would rather not have someone like him in a position of power in the U.S. government. He may not have intended to be sexist, but his views are still uninformed, and I like having informed people ruling this country.

As for being iconoclastic, I'm not really aware of the specific circumstances behind that quote. I appreciate bluntness and a willingness to tell the truth and shatter illusions, but I suppose I just don't really see how that ties in with gender stereotypes.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#1039 | Back to Top11-24-2008 05:12:30 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Like_Autumn wrote:

I'll paraphrase here, but you can find his exact words here.

Basically, Summers was seeking explanations for why there are many more men than women in the upper echelons of science.  He came up with three contributing factors.  In order of importance -- he said -- they are:

1. The "high-powered job hypothesis."  This is the idea that many more women than men who are highly educated and talented nevertheless choose not to pursue demanding jobs.  It's hard to raise a family, or even in some cases have a husband, when your work by its nature has to be your life.  Since more women than men place a high value on family life, many women accept jobs that may not reflect their actual talent, or just become homemakers.  Summers does ask: "Is our society right to expect that level of effort from people who hold the most prominent jobs? Is our society right to have familial arrangements in which women are asked to make that choice and asked more to make that choice than men?"  Regardless of the answer, though, he concludes that this situation is the most important reason why there are more men than women at the highest levels of the scientific establishment.

2. "Different availability of aptitude at the high end."  This is the controversial one.  I want to be very clear on what Summers said here, because almost no one in the media took the time to elucidate it.  He did not say that men on average are better at math and science than women on average.  (If he had said this I still would argue it does not necessarily make him horrible and biased, but he did not say it, so it's immaterial.)  What he suggested, presenting evidence which he acknowledged was imperfect and preliminary, was that the standard deviation of ability is higher in men than in women.  That is, men vary more from the average than women do.  If this is true, then the dumbest men are dumber than the dumbest women, and the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women.

3. Discrimination against women, and differences in socialization that encourage boys to be interested in the sciences and women in the humanities.  Summers acknowledged that these play a role but considered them less important than explanations 1 and 2.

So is Summers a flagrant sexist for saying that men on average differ from the mean more than women in their math and science ability?  I don't think so.  Whether he's right or wrong (and of course I hope he's wrong), the answer isn't obvious.  We should keep an open mind when it comes to questions whose answers aren't obvious, and encourage investigation rather than jump all over whoever asks those questions for being a sexist.  It's not as though Summers just kind of stated as self-evident that men vary more than women; he presented some evidence and approached the question scientifically, or at least as scientifically as you can expect from an economist.  :snerk:  So yeah, I see his willingness to say something like that in front of a conference at Harvard as a sign of bravery and iconoclasm, not sexism.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-24-2008 05:17:38 PM)

#1040 | Back to Top11-24-2008 05:43:28 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Like_Autumn wrote:

I'll paraphrase here, but you can find his exact words here.

Basically, Summers was seeking explanations for why there are many more men than women in the upper echelons of science.  He came up with three contributing factors.  In order of importance -- he said -- they are:

1. The "high-powered job hypothesis."  This is the idea that many more women than men who are highly educated and talented nevertheless choose not to pursue demanding jobs.  It's hard to raise a family, or even in some cases have a husband, when your work by its nature has to be your life.  Since more women than men place a high value on family life, many women accept jobs that may not reflect their actual talent, or just become homemakers.  Summers does ask: "Is our society right to expect that level of effort from people who hold the most prominent jobs? Is our society right to have familial arrangements in which women are asked to make that choice and asked more to make that choice than men?"  Regardless of the answer, though, he concludes that this situation is the most important reason why there are more men than women at the highest levels of the scientific establishment.

2. "Different availability of aptitude at the high end."  This is the controversial one.  I want to be very clear on what Summers said here, because almost no one in the media took the time to elucidate it.  He did not say that men on average are better at math and science than women on average.  (If he had said this I still would argue it does not necessarily make him horrible and biased, but he did not say it, so it's immaterial.)  What he suggested, presenting evidence which he acknowledged was imperfect and preliminary, was that the standard deviation of ability is higher in men than in women.  That is, men vary more from the average than women do.  If this is true, then the dumbest men are dumber than the dumbest women, and the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women.

3. Discrimination against women, and differences in socialization that encourage boys to be interested in the sciences and women in the humanities.  Summers acknowledged that these play a role but considered them less important than explanations 1 and 2.

So is Summers a flagrant sexist for saying that men on average differ from the mean more than women in their math and science ability?  I don't think so.  Whether he's right or wrong (and of course I hope he's wrong), the answer isn't obvious.  We should keep an open mind when it comes to questions whose answers aren't obvious, and encourage investigation rather than jump all over whoever asks those questions for being a sexist.  It's not as though Summers just kind of stated as self-evident that men vary more than women; he presented some evidence and approached the question scientifically, or at least as scientifically as you can expect from an economist.  :snerk:  So yeah, I see his willingness to say something like that in front of a conference at Harvard as a sign of bravery and iconoclasm, not sexism.

Ah, I was definitely uninformed about that. I guess maybe that's the reason people reacted so poorly to his proposed nomination, because they didn't hear all the facts either.

Now that I consider all the proposed options he gave, I think he made some valid points. I still disagree about innate ability, but he mentioned social factors as a contributor.

I guess even the feminist sources I like to check for women's issues are fallible to the same lack of fact-checking and sensationalism as any other news source.

Now I feel bad for posting without knowing the real deal. My apologies.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#1041 | Back to Top11-24-2008 05:52:46 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Like_Autumn wrote:

That's okay!  I'm happy to help clear up the misunderstanding, and if you still felt like he was a sexist after hearing what happened that would be okay too.  emot-smile

#1042 | Back to Top11-24-2008 06:20:33 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Like_Autumn wrote:

That's okay!  I'm happy to help clear up the misunderstanding, and if you still felt like he was a sexist after hearing what happened that would be okay too.  emot-smile

You know, I just read that transcript of his speech.

It was this part particularly that I noticed:

Q: Secondly, you make a point, which I very much agree with, that this is a wonderful opportunity for other universities to hire women and minorities, and you said you didn't have an example of an instance in which that is being done. The chemistry department at Rutgers is doing that, and they are bragging about it and they are saying, "Any woman who is having problems in her home department, send me your resume." They are now at twenty-five percent women, which is double the national average-among the top fifty universities-so I agree with you on that. I think it is a wonderful opportunity and I hope others follow that example. One thing that I do sort of disagree with is the use of identical twins that have been separated and their environment followed. I think that the environments that a lot of women and minorities experience would not be something that would be-that a twin would be subjected to if the person knows that their environment is being watched. Because a lot of the things that are done to women and minorities are simply illegal, and so they'll never experience that.

LHS: I don't think that. I don't actually think that's the point at all. My point was a very different one. My point was simply that the field of behavioral genetics had a revolution in the last fifteen years, and the principal thrust of that revolution was the discovery that a large number of things that people thought were due to socialization weren't, and were in fact due to more intrinsic human nature, and that set of discoveries, it seemed to me, ought to influence the way one thought about other areas where there was a perception of the importance of socialization. I wasn't at all trying to connect those studies to the particular experiences of women and minorities who were thinking about academic careers.

He also mentions that he believes socialization and discrimination are the least likely contributing factors toward lack of women in math and science fields. It also seems that his reasoning for married women not being as represented in professional fields because of non-married women is because they are expected to fully commit to their job and the choices they make ensure that they can't.

I don't really see it as being that blunt, personally. It's true that he's presenting different reasons, but he also makes judgements on the value of each of those reasons. He says that "little boys and little girls have different interests that can't be attributed to socialization." And "that in the special case of science and engineering, there are issues of intrinsic aptitude, and particularly of the variability of aptitude, and that those considerations are reinforced by what are in fact lesser factors involving socialization and continuing discrimination."

So I guess I'm reading into it in a slightly different way than you are, but it does seem that he's at least trying to understand the issue, and doesn't seem to be trying to be sexist. But I still believe that socialization is a major factor in the ways males and females learn their societal roles, so his dismissal of it as a minor factor seems to be a bit strange.

Last edited by Like_Autumn (11-24-2008 06:22:29 PM)

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#1043 | Back to Top11-25-2008 01:08:12 AM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

I take pretty strong issue with the claim that discrimination and social pressures are the least important factor.  I mean, I don't know what Larry Summers is basing this on, but I'm a grad student in a science, and I've seen so many talented and qualified females avoid my field because they felt intimidated by it while so many unqualified males jump right in fueled pretty much by pure arrogance.  Also, has he ever considered how much of his point #1 might be influenced by discrimination and socialization?  Also also, what serious research supports the "little boys and little girls have different interests that can't be attributed to socialization" hypothesis, anyway, because "can't" is an awfully strong statement, and how on earth would you conduct controlled experiments on that?  (And I'm not even getting into annoyance at evaluations of intelligence.)

(Full disclosure, though: I'm extra-prickly on this right now, as just yesterday I was talking to a friend about some... particular ugly gender inequality between her parents.)

However, while I may personally be annoyed at Summers' opinions, I understand that Obama won the election as a consensus builder, and that doesn't mean I can expect to like every one of his appointees.  Honestly, I don't think I could ever like every one of a president's appointees.  So, while I may mutter and grumble - and perhaps even gripe, should the situation warrant it - I'll save the serious complaints for any actual actions by the Obama administration that I disagree with.  Which should, at least, mean waiting until after inauguration.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#1044 | Back to Top11-25-2008 09:58:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mmm hmm.  I think if Summers erred, he erred in speaking outside his subject area; he's an economist, not a sociologist.  I'm not qualified to know whether he's right, but neither, I suspect, was he.  I can't help feeling, though, that the fuss over his comments wasn't justified by their content.

#1045 | Back to Top11-27-2008 08:39:07 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Elsewhere, on the topic of Obama's Chief of Staff, Clarice wrote:

It doesn't help that Emanuel looks a little like I'd imagine L to be in real life. If L was an American politician in his late forties, Jewish, and prone to sending people dead fish, anyway.

QFT!!!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/emanuel.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/rahm_e1.jpg

#1046 | Back to Top11-27-2008 08:44:47 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'd honestly be more afraid of running into Rahm Emanuel than Dick Cheney in a dark alley...I feel like I could get away from Dick, and he's never shot anyone in the back... But I think Rahm might rip my eyes out and eat them.

-Truck North

#1047 | Back to Top11-27-2008 10:21:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

I feel like I could get away from Dick, and he's never shot anyone in the back...

No, though he once shot a guy in the face.  That's more his style anyway.

#1048 | Back to Top12-07-2008 08:47:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

A new Cabinet appointee was announced today!

Secretary of Veterans' Affairs -- Eric Shinseki (four-star general)
Yes, the Department of Veterans' Affairs is Cabinet-level.  It doesn't have quite the punch of "Department of the Treasury," but it's still Cabinet, which makes it a great spot to give to a crony who you want to do a favor for.  Obama could have done that.  Instead he gave it to Shinseki, a Japanese-American general and former Chief of Staff of the United States Army, who will be only the third Asian American ever to serve in the Cabinet.  On one level, Shinseki is a great pick for the job: who better than a (highly decorated) veteran to oversee serving veterans?  On another level, the symbolism of appointing a Japanese American to Veterans' Affairs on Pearl Harbor Day is sort of beautiful and reminds us how far we've come since World War II.  And on yet another level -- well, Shinseki was one of the few generals brave enough to tell Donald Rumsfeld that we would need drastically more troops to win in Iraq than Rumsfeld wanted to commit.  He broke with the administration publically and was eventually fired.  This pick is thus a very visible way for Obama to communicate change in the foreign policy arena.  It's also a toss-out to anime fans:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/nerv.jpg

#1049 | Back to Top12-07-2008 09:07:31 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Just as long as he keeps Gendo Ikari far far away from the DOD.  Far far far far far away.

emot-wink

#1050 | Back to Top12-10-2008 03:26:24 PM

Pallas Athena
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Speaking of DoD, I work on base at Ft. Bragg, and let me tell you....everyone (well the ones who didn't vote for him) are in complete denial and it's starting to become rather disturbing, still seeing these random Democrats=Communist flyers decorating cubicle walls, Anti-Obama emails explaining how he isn't "American".emot-confused

Oh yeah, has anyone heard the latest about Mr. Gov who decided to try his hand at "play for pay" politics, he needs to resign immediately and let the Lt. Gov take charge.

Last edited by Pallas Athena (12-10-2008 03:27:43 PM)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/dollshouse.jpg

Board footer