This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-27-2010 03:04:27 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

[FOOD and BEAUTY STUFF IDUNNO] Cook as I Say, Not as I Do

One, lookit at THAT.  Yeah, that is a thread title with brackets.  So no running around acting like this is a bracketless thread or something and your mommas didn't raise you right.

Which reminds me.  When I was a little girl my mother bought me a stylish black and white cookbook, Cook as I Say, Not as I Do by Margaret Sullivan -and left the pricetag on ($1.00).  I read it but it was a tad unorthodox.  It had a definite theme, mothers and daughters.  Specifically, 1930-1950's mothers and their 1994 daughters who just do not get each other emot-gonkemot-aaa !  I've been rereading it lately because I'm jealous and/or plotting against Yasha-skillz, and I realize that, intentionally or no it is EFFING HILARIOUS AND CUTE.

But it may be intentionally sexist, in which case we shall all lawl at the antiquated ideologies of gender of those backwards 1994 female authors while taking sweet, delicious revenge by plundering their recipes.  I'll attempt to post here regularly with recipes from the book that I like.  Have made?  No.  Think are funny and cute and yummers sounding?  TOTALLY.  There are also recipes for stuff like perfumes, body wash, etc.

======================================================================================================

Member that theme I mentioned?  Well, it has four distinctive features.  The first is the letter before each recipe.  Each section of the book is centered on one Mother and Daughter pair, and each recipe in said section is preceded by a letter from one to the other.  The recipe that follows is named after something that is relevant to the content of the letter, like "Post-Disappointment Roast Beef Sandwiches," which is the second feature.  The third is, as you may have figured out, that the directions on the recipes are written as if they are written by said mother herself, with plenty of not-really-progressive nibbles of life advice tossed in.  The final characteristic is a set of symbols (little pictures in the book, I'll use words) that tell you additional information about the recipes benefits, such as "affordable", "Makes a Good Gift","Helps You Find A Husband You Inadequate Slattern" and so on.

Anyhow, let the MATERNAL COMMENCE.

#2 | Back to Top05-27-2010 03:56:10 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: [FOOD and BEAUTY STUFF IDUNNO] Cook as I Say, Not as I Do

Another Beautiful Day...

Dear Mary Catherine,

Last time I was over when I was helping you out by dusting the inside of your closets and drawers, I happened to discover a little tape among your confusing belongings by some singers who call themselves the Jesus and Mary Chain.

I was so tickled to see you care going back to church again.

You've sure got the wardrobe for it.  all those party dresses.  As you see I only had one to see me through Senior Prom, Graduation and your spoiled Aunt Melanie's Cotillion.

Somehow I managed.  I guess we all have to.

Love,
     Mom

P.S- I'm not so sure I want to remind you with all of your crazy ideas, but don't forget to vote.

---

Enough Bran Muffins So There's Always Something Good to Eat

Before you start, be sure to set your oven temperature for 350.

2 1/2 cups of raisin bran cereal, which you should always have around in case you suffer from irregularity
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup steamed milk
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup half and half
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A sprinkle of allspice
A sprinkle of cinnamon

Divide the raisin bran in half.  If you had to share everything the way I did when I was young, this part will be easy.  Half the raisin bran goes into a mixture of butter and the hot milk.  Bring in the other ingredients as they appear above, and mix well.  Then add in the remaining half of the cereal.  Pour the batter into your adorable muffin cups and bake for one hour.
     That will get you twelve muffins, but you'll probably only eat two.  Then you'll toss the rest into the refrigerator to dry out over the days, until someone like your mother comes along to clear things away.  You might dust them on top with a bit of flour so your plastic wrap doesn't stick.

This recipe is:  Affordable, Can Help You Find A Husband, Helps You Feel One With Nature and Brings You Closer to Your Mom.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (05-27-2010 05:48:35 PM)

#3 | Back to Top05-27-2010 04:41:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

This is an excellent idea and I shall certainly be watching this thread closely for new ideas and hilarious mother-daughter not-bonding emot-smile

For now, I gonna make stupid grilled cheese comfort food and avocado smoothie. Please don't kill me for betraying my food snob heritage emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top05-27-2010 05:49:25 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Ok now you have to tell me how an avacado smoothie works.

#5 | Back to Top05-27-2010 06:00:26 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I can make them Vietnamese style if you want to give that a go.

#6 | Back to Top05-27-2010 06:35:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Avocado smoothies are incredible. I hadn't had one until Yasha convinced me to try--my father owned an avocado grove, and I've had avocado every which way for it..but never sweet. I was talking to my Filipino professor a few terms back and she said they make a lot of sweet dishes with avocado. I definitely want to investigate further, I LOVE that stuff. Give recipe!

Fattening? Yes. But it's the good fat guys!

Also this thread sounds like awesome. emot-dance Waiting for the 'Sorry love, I slept with your fiance' butter cookies Mrs.Ohtori makes. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top05-27-2010 07:04:49 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

The real way, or Yasha's hacked together I-have-no-energy-to-go-to-the-store way?

Real way (stolen from Viet World Kitchen):

1 ripe medium avocado (6–8 ounces)

1 cup ice (8 ice cubes)

1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/4 to 1/2 cup milk

Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender. Add the remaining ingredients, starting out with the least amount of milk and puree until completely smooth. Taste and add additional milk, depending on the avocado type and if a thinner consistency is desired.

Yasha's hack job:

2 smallish avocados

4 large ice cubes

tablespoon brown sugar (more if you like sweeter)

about 1/4 cup half and half cream

Peel avocados, dump everything into stick blender cup, blend until smooth. Add a little more half and half if it's not liquid enough to drink. Rest it in the fridge for 10 minutes while you make disgusting grilled Kraft cheese sammiches. Use generously to forget about horrible cramps and how much being a girl sucks emot-frown

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top05-27-2010 07:28:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

That sounds so very delicious.  And I have no clue why.

#9 | Back to Top05-27-2010 07:33:39 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It tastes like butter and brown sugar but is much less fattening than eating sticks of butter coated in brown sugar.

The real thing is better than the one I'm having but oh god it's still so good school-chef

#10 | Back to Top05-27-2010 10:38:27 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

So I'm going to be a snot (huge surprise there emot-rolleyes), but I think the recipe you posted has way too much condensed milk. It should be about a teaspoon of the condensed milk, and the rest should be half and half cream. And it should be balanced between milky, sweet and creamy, I find the sweetened condensed milk can overpower the avocado if you add too much.

My parents own a Vietnamese Restaurant. Hee. etc-love

#11 | Back to Top05-27-2010 10:44:10 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You are a complete snot and I love it.

#12 | Back to Top05-27-2010 11:08:27 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Thanks babe, at least I know I've got one vote.

OH WAIT. Just realized that recipe is from the North, which is the culinary inferior to the South. All my questions are answered. (But some of the tips they have on the site are a good idea, like letting it sit in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes, and eating it with a spoon.)

OHHH God, sorry for hijacking.

Did you try the muffin recipe yet? To clarify, did your Mom send it over to you?

#13 | Back to Top05-27-2010 11:32:09 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I made a batch when I was a little girl and I loved them, even though I was all How the eff do you steam milk? and just ended up scalding it.  They taste like Raisin Bran of course, so they are wonderful in the morning with a banana and some milk.  etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

I actually really like bran.

Why don't I ever eat it anymore?

Oh god guys I used to be little girl and now I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

#14 | Back to Top05-29-2010 05:33:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Oh god guys I used to be little girl and now I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Don't be sad. I'm still a little girl, and I'm probably older than you. :hugs:

Moar reshipiess nao? I promise when I get some bran I will give this a shot-- just don't have none at the moment. emot-redface

#15 | Back to Top06-01-2010 05:19:03 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Well I know what I'm going to be making, that avavado smoothie sounds yummy!

Anybody know of any spicy drinks? I'm addicted to the V8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice but would like some alternatives.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#16 | Back to Top07-26-2010 02:37:59 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Oh, so I kinda forgot about this for quite some time.  But isn't that what mothers and daughters are all about?

===========================================================================
Dear Jackie,

So you're in a movie!  Your dream ever since you found out about that Spike Lee character.

I'm not even going to ask what kind of sleazy nincompoop dance you had to do to get the part.  You were so good in Chemistry.

Thanks for the $5,000.  We'll be going to the fancy fruit market on 84th Street now.  I was going to get that painful bridgework redone, but your sister needs something for Harold.  He's trying, but you know.

Love,
              Mom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Pears Call For A Celebration Sandwich

8 slices white bread (for 4 sandwiches)
1/2 cup of butter
4 bosc pears like you can't get just anywhere
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar

Get your oven ready to 375 degrees.  If you want to be like your frivolous Aunt Ethyl, just cut the crust off the bread like it isn't even food.  Butter the slices on all sides and lay four slices in a 9 by 12-inch baking pan.  If you went through what I did, you could look at that pan and think of being smashed in one single bed with three sisters.  Slice the pears thinly and make layers that go pears, sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon, pears sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon - until there's nothing left.  Then crumble the other four slices of bread on top, almost like a casserole.  Give it ten minutes.

This recipe is: Affordable, Good for Leftovers and Can Help You Find A Husband Already.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
============================================================================

#17 | Back to Top07-26-2010 02:56:30 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Since this happens to be one of my favorite little pick-me-up snacks (This time I'm celebrating my application for my new apartment being accpeted!) I decided to make some and share with yall.

The only changes I made to the recipe are Texas Toast instead of regular, Anju Pears instead of Bosc (because they aren't available yet where I'm at) and an added touch of brown sugar.  Oh, and I halved the recipe.

WPCCS smells amazing; one of those dishes that lets the whole house know it's ready.  The bread on top (you butter those slices before you slice/crumble them just like the ones on the bottom, fyi) are like sweet, crunchy little croutons on top of your soft, melty mess of pears and cinnamon.  Anju pears are firmer than bosc pears so they offer a bit more bite but still taste yummy and sweet.  I usually compensate for this a tad by adding a very small amount of butter inbetween two of the layers of pears and use more cinnamon and sugar to help soften them up while cooking.

I have no idea how this is supposed to be a sandwich, though.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/100_1074001-1.jpg?t=1280191570
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/100_1075002.jpg?t=1280191635

:>

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-26-2010 06:47:43 PM)

#18 | Back to Top07-26-2010 04:55:23 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

....I am so hungry for this right now.

#19 | Back to Top07-27-2010 10:54:30 AM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Omg, I've never heard of an avacado smoothie, until now~ It sounds delicious *-----*
Must....go....shopping....now....for avacados! emot-biggrin

Btw, onlyinthislight, I don't really like pears && that concoction still looks delicious! :3

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

~*~ Youtube: youtube.com/animentalcosplayer ~*~
~*~ dA: animentalcosplayer.deviantart.com ~*~

#20 | Back to Top10-27-2010 12:06:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dear Mom,

I'm sorry that in the long fight between Grandpa and cancer, it looks like cancer is going to win.  You tell me he's got another year, and I know you'll want to spend that year driving between Fort Myers and Rock Hill a lot so you can be with him and Janis.  It's amazing what a cutup Grandpa has remained into his nineties, and we'll all miss him.  On the bright side, "metastasis" is a fun word to say.

It's Halloween season, you know.  Alex and I have never bobbed for apples, but I got a pair of nice Granny Smiths today and felt like putting one of them to a nobler use than the usual.  In the name of culinary science, I sacrificed it on the altar of my frying pan with some random stuff I found in the cupboard.  This should be pretty quick to throw together and cheery to eat, which I imagine are both good qualities to look for under the circumstances.

Love,
Brian

-------------------

Unbobbed Autumn Apples

1 Granny Smith apple
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Sixteenth the apple.  You sixteenth an apple by quartering it and then quartering each of the quarters.  If you're cooking for three and want an even split, you can twelfth the apple instead by thirding each of the quarters, but you should double the recipe.  Melt the butter in a medium saute pan; Janis has like a dozen of those, so pick one that's seasonally colored.  Add the maple syrup, brown sugar, and nutmeg and bring to a simmer under medium-low heat, stirring constantly.  Add the apple and keep on stirring until the apple is hot and the sauce is absorbed, but while the apple is still nice and crisp.  Pour the whole into a dish and serve for dessert.  There's lots of nutmeg in this, but the dominant flavor is love.

#21 | Back to Top12-15-2010 06:36:03 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The recipe says "Holiday" so ignore that whole Easter business in the letter.  All holidays will become one with Christmas eventually anyway.  And isn't the important thing that you remember what the holidays are really all about?  Guilt trips from loved ones. etc-love

=================================================================================================
Another Beautiful Day...

Dear Mary Catherine,

Well, it's Easter next month, and I think you should start picking out
your cards right away.  People who wait until Good Friday get everybody's
leftovers, you know.
     Last year, you'll remember I had to send them out for you.  Here's praying
people don't know you're handwriting, but who could?  Who's seen it since you
were in the third grade before you found out about boys when you used to have
a spare second or two to think about somebody who might need to get a card
for Easter.
     Love,
             Mom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Cheese Bread Wreath to Celebrate a Holiday

Before you do anything, set your oven to 375 degrees.

1 envelope dry yeast
Water in amount recommended on the yeast package or 3/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
Handful of caraway seeds
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup Romano cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg
Butter to baste the top
Ground black pepper

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and mix in everything but the butter and pepper.  Work it up into a dough and knead for awhile.  If you can't say one whole rosary during this part, you haven't given it enough attention.  Let it rise for half an hour in a covered bowl.  Halve the dough and form into two wide strips that you can twist together.  Then form a circle and meld the ends together.  Let it rise another hour, then baste on melted butter and grind the pepper over the top.  Bake for one half hour.

This recipe is affordable, makes a lovely holiday gift and seriously I need grandkids like burning so get married already.

================================================================================

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (12-15-2010 06:37:14 PM)

Board footer