This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-24-2009 08:40:07 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Youtube videos dropping like flies, courtesy of WMG - discuss here

The news is all over youtube - protest videos made in response to Warner Music Group claiming copyright on a heap of tracks and getting videos taken down/or audio blocked all over youtube. emot-gonk emot-mad emot-gonk

This is the thread to post links to protest videos you consider worth watching, work arounds to get videos/sound back up, and venting about your precious videos that got taken down.

So to begin with the venting...
The Face Inside (Black Rose Saga)
Baby Got Back (smexy butts of Utena parody)
and 2 of my Xena videos
...have been disabled.

I'm very sad at the moment. I also have no confidence that this won't be a continuing trend. Give them another couple weeks and more videos may come down. The sad thing is I really have no idea which songs are connected to WMG (they seem to have control over a LOT of music). I need a hug. emot-gonk

#2 | Back to Top02-24-2009 09:18:13 AM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Youtube videos dropping like flies, courtesy of WMG - discuss here

What?!?! That sucks. Why can't they just be happy that people like their music?

#3 | Back to Top02-24-2009 11:53:46 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

The_A_Man wrote:

What?!?! That sucks. Why can't they just be happy that people like their music?

They can't be happy with the popularity, A_Man; they want that popularity to show on their fiscal reports as well. They want money for the music being used, and it's money they're probably aiming for next. Case in point: it happened for the first time about eight or nine years ago, maybe even less. When the music site Napster first started, it was completely free to anybody who wanted to download music. But some of the bands whose music was hosted on the site -- without permission, which meant that the bands weren't getting any royalty money from their works being downloaded -- found out and set out to stop Napster; or at the very least, make them a pay site. Metallica was the spearhead of this attack, gaining fame (or is it infamy?) from their very vocal attacks on Napster. Ultimately, they sued the creator and his site for the crime of Internet piracy, a very real crime in American courts and perhaps even abroad. As a result of that suit, corporate greed won the war, and Napster has become a pay site like all the others.

The very same thing is now happening with Warner and Youtube. I don't mean to sound callous, but sharnii and all others who have made AMVs -- regardless of content -- consider yourself lucky that they're only BANNING your works of art and not SUING you for piracy over the songs and images used in the videos.

Personally, I think it sucks big time to have one's art oppressed in the name of corporate greed. But in the end, money talks and the motherfuckin' artists walk. emot-frown

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#4 | Back to Top02-24-2009 12:08:13 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

emot-gonk
this is wretched!

it's happened to a number of videos i've favorite'd there.
T 3T

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#5 | Back to Top02-24-2009 02:36:07 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Not to be a killjoy, but AMVs have always been a copyright grey area from the start...

Those that make them might be interested to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Under the section "Common misunderstandings"

Noncommercial use is invariably fair. Not true, though a judge may take the profit motive or lack thereof into account. In L.A. Times v. Free Republic, the court found that the noncommercial use of L.A. Times content by the Free Republic Web site was in fact not fair use, since it allowed the public to obtain material at no cost that they would otherwise pay for.

Personally, I don't understand all of the excitement over AMVs (it's one section of fandom I pretty much ignore), but whatever makes people happy, I guess.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (02-24-2009 02:39:06 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top02-24-2009 02:39:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

It's pretty lame when you think again it because even if they are successful in preventing piracy, their profits will not increase by very much in the short term and it might end up costing them in the long term

#7 | Back to Top02-24-2009 03:18:51 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Well I still think it's pretty stupid. Some people may watch an AMV and go "I like that song. I want to find out what it's called so I can buy the CD." But if companies remove their songs these people may never hear it so they won't be interested in buying the song if they don't know what it is. It's just my thought.

#8 | Back to Top02-24-2009 04:00:00 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I'd noticed that, sadly emot-frown for me this all the more reason to continue donwloading mp3s etc left right and centre, because big companies are absolute bastards and do things like this.
*Has several somewhat commie family members and is becoming more sympathetic to them*.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#9 | Back to Top02-24-2009 04:57:31 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Not to be a killjoy, but AMVs have always been a copyright grey area from the start...

If you go down the Fair Use checklist...it's not a particularly grey area, it's purely copyright infringement, and the rights holders don't have to be 'cool' and just let it slide, particularly because AMVs could easily replace the purchase of the copyrighted work.  While AMVs can be fun (although the quality seems to have dropped over the years since everyone and their brother is making them using whatever footage they have handy), they don't have to be allowed, and companies and artists shouldn't be treated like monsters because they're protecting what is theirs.

There are plenty of legitimate ways to hear songs for free, so the "Well maybe someone would hear it and like it and might possibly go buy it" argument doesn't work.  Last.fm, Yahoo! music, Pandora, occasional free MP3 downloads on Amazon, sample clips on numerous commercial sites, artists' official website/MySpace music pages, the radio...just to name a few.

Last edited by Mylene (02-24-2009 05:05:45 PM)

#10 | Back to Top02-24-2009 05:15:14 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Mylene wrote:

There are plenty of legitimate ways to hear songs for free, so the "Well maybe someone would hear it and like it and might possibly go buy it" argument doesn't work.  Last.fm, Yahoo! music, Pandora, occasional free MP3 downloads on Amazon, sample clips on numerous commercial sites, artists' official website/MySpace music pages, the radio...just to name a few.

As these are all additional ways to hear the music for free, how are they more beneficial to the company? If I hear a song I like on youtube wouldn't I more likely find a pure audio, high quality file to download instead of the entire video? (I would.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top02-24-2009 05:24:05 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Mylene wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

If you go down the Fair Use checklist...it's not a particularly grey area, it's purely copyright infringement, and the rights holders don't have to be 'cool' and just let it slide, particularly because AMVs could easily replace the purchase of the copyrighted work.

Which is the gist of the excerpt I posted from the wikipedia entry.  I was being charitable in calling it a grey area, but you're right.

Now, if you're using something released under a Creative Commons license (like the last couple of NIN albums, for example), that's perfectly legal, as long as the work made with it is also released under a CC license and credits the work from which it is derived.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#12 | Back to Top02-24-2009 05:28:11 PM

Mylene

Ragnarok wrote:

Mylene wrote:

As these are all additional ways to hear the music for free, how are they more beneficial to the company? If I hear a song I like on youtube wouldn't I more likely find a pure audio, high quality file to download instead of the entire video? (I would.)

The company and artist receive compensation for these other methods of free music, regardless of whether or not you decide to get your own version.  They get nothing if you're watching it through an illegal source and choose not to take the next step (which many people do not.)

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Which is the gist of the excerpt I posted from the wikipedia entry.  I was being charitable in calling it a grey area, but you're right.

Now, if you're using something released under a Creative Commons license (like the last couple of NIN albums, for example), that's perfectly legal, as long as the work made with it is also released under a CC license and credits the work from which it is derived.

I thought the checklist might help people visualize a bit better than a wall of text.  It's certainly helped me to figure things out a lot better.

I love Creative Commons, it allows the people who want to be freer to be freer while at the same time still establishing their intellectual property.  I'd love to see a greater trend towards such things.  Even Kadokawa (I think it's Kadokawa) is embracing such concepts by allowing fans to submit content using their content onto their Youtube area, and if they like it'll they put it up and it's completely legit.

Last edited by Mylene (02-24-2009 05:43:47 PM)

#13 | Back to Top02-24-2009 05:58:51 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

That really sucks Sharnii, I've always enjoyed your videos...is there somewhere else I can watch them?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#14 | Back to Top02-24-2009 06:02:54 PM

Mylene

Are they only cracking down at YouTube, or are places like animemusicvideos.org also being affected?

#15 | Back to Top02-24-2009 06:17:10 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

As a huge amv fan (to watch as well as to make), and indeed music vids set to tv shows in general, I repeat that I'm upset about this emot-gonk and I don't like the direction youtube is moving in (regardless of copyright babble by corporates). On top of that alot of people doing parodies where they sing someone else's song (including a chick playing guitar to "Winter Wonderland" omfg) have had their videos removed too/sound disabled. I just find that ludicrous. emot-confused

Thanks for the empathy Stormy, I'm trying to figure out where's the next best place to post amvs after youtube. I'm considering Veoh. I'll let everyone know if I move all my stuff to another location, or even start up my own website. It's such a shame though - I love youtube as a sight, and it's so handy in terms of being well known and populated with everything a video fan could hope to watch.

Any advice about vid-hosting places that might escape these tightening rules is appreciated.

Not sure about animemusicvideos.org Mylene - I better go check that out.

Rag: As these are all additional ways to hear the music for free, how are they more beneficial to the company? If I hear a song I like on youtube wouldn't I more likely find a pure audio, high quality file to download instead of the entire video? (I would.)

Yeah, even as a mega fan I never bother to download youtube vids, I just fave them. If it's the song I like the music quality isn't good enough to get from that source. For that matter, neither is the video quality...

And I hear what you're saying Miss Bluesky, A_Man, Sou, and Tamago, seconded to all that.

EDIT: bolding

Last edited by sharnii (02-24-2009 06:17:47 PM)

#16 | Back to Top02-24-2009 07:36:06 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Mylene wrote:

I thought the checklist might help people visualize a bit better than a wall of text.  It's certainly helped me to figure things out a lot better.

I love Creative Commons, it allows the people who want to be freer to be freer while at the same time still establishing their intellectual property.  I'd love to see a greater trend towards such things.  Even Kadokawa (I think it's Kadokawa) is embracing such concepts by allowing fans to submit content using their content onto their Youtube area, and if they like it'll they put it up and it's completely legit.

Copyright is about creators, not corporate greed.

That list you posted was much more direct and to the point Mylene, I learned quite a bit there!  To me, AMVs are at best appropriation art, at worst fans going "look at me, I can use video editing software!", so I can't share their disappointment/anger with what's happening to them on Youtube etc.

And before anyone slams me with "it's my creative expression, so it's legitimate art, they can't take it from me!", I took classes for multimedia and design too, so I'm familiar with classroom use of copyrighted material for school projects.  In an academic environment, an AMV could probably pass for a viable video project in a classroom.  But once it's posted online for entertainment purposes, as in the list that Mylene posted, the Fair Use terms have been violated.

Anyway, that's just my 2c on it.  I know it's not the popular view to express, but that's just my take on this issue.

#17 | Back to Top02-24-2009 08:45:03 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The real problem is that, even if someone (or some company) doesn't really have a problem with an individual use - noncommercial, limited release, parodic purposes, whatever - they have to defend their rights or the rights lapse.  That's just the way copyright and trademark laws are structured, internationally and in most individual nations.

But, hey, if Cindy Sherman can countersue on grounds of legitimate appropriation, the window's open for AMV-makers to make a legal case, too.  Most would never win, but not every AMV is just running a song over pre-arranged scenes.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#18 | Back to Top02-24-2009 08:52:50 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Oh my.

*Takes a BIG BREATH*  Here's a list of mine that've gotten taken down.

Change (in the House of Flies) by Deftones Anthy/Akio/Utena focus
Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode Anthy/Akio/Utena focus
The Wretched by NIN Akio focus
Replacement by She Wants Revenge Kozue focus
She Will Always Be a Broken Girl by She Wants Revenge Nanami Focus
Slide by the Dresden Dolls Nanami Focus
Girl Anachronism by the Dresden Dolls SKU girls focus
Eye by The Smashing Pumpkins Shiori Focus
Movement of Fear by Tones on Tail Akio focus
How Beautiful you Are by The Cure Mamiya focus

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Because of this, I am very, VERY reluctant to make a new amv or post one.

Last edited by Iris (02-24-2009 08:54:15 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#19 | Back to Top02-24-2009 08:59:33 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

The real problem is that, even if someone (or some company) doesn't really have a problem with an individual use - noncommercial, limited release, parodic purposes, whatever - they have to defend their rights or the rights lapse.  That's just the way copyright and trademark laws are structured, internationally and in most individual nations.

For the USA:

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-d … l#duration

#20 | Back to Top02-24-2009 09:01:09 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-d … l#duration

There have been cases, however, where a lack of defense for the copyright has been used to circumvent that time-frame.  This was part of the problem with Charade, was used in Sherman's photos-of-paintings argument, and the argument for Jeff Koons adaptation of other people's photographs/postcards.  And once you lose the copyright - or try to gain it late - you're shit out of luck.  There's the whole Roy Orison/Pretty Woman lift, as well, which set an awkward case-by-case precedent.

I'm kinda glad I never posted any I did (some were posted for me) to an online forum.  We just used ours for throwing up on the wall(s) during parties and other local(ized) amusement.

I don't even think you can use the noncommercial argument with AMVs if you're posting them to something with as much range as youtube.  Personal advertisement is a commercial use.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (02-24-2009 09:10:45 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#21 | Back to Top02-24-2009 10:32:55 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

This is really bothersome. I don't make them, but I love watching them, and now lots of my favorites have disappeared! I'd heard of some Anime AMV sites having to ban AMVs of certain artists, but I never thought it would happen there.

I hope everyone here that was affected still have copies somewhere? that's a lot of work to put into something only to have it poof one day!

20 threads dead so far.

#22 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:00:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It seems to me there are actually two issues here.  The first is whether copyright holders ought morally to have the right to police how their work is used noncommercially.  The second is whether, given that they definitely do have the legal right to do this, doing it is actually in their best interest.

I'll start with the second, just to dispense with it.  One thing the recession has taught me is that companies, especially large corporations, are not as good at looking out for their own best interest as I used to assume they are.  That said, I think this problem is too complicated to solve without access to actual data.  There is probably a set of people who are less likely to buy "Baby Got Back" because they can look it up on YouTube for free.  There is probably a set of people who are more likely to buy "Baby Got Back" because they heard it on YouTube.  It's not obvious which effect is stronger.  You'd have to study it.  Speaking from my own experience, I can say that there are a number of anime, including Utena, that I would never have purchased if I hadn't watched them for free first; video pirating has in my case been a boon to video companies.  Similarly, I bought the Avenue Q soundtrack from iTunes because I heard "The Internet Is For Porn" on albinoblacksheep.com and thought it was hilarious.  On the other hand, I bought an album by an obscure band called Espers on the strength of a good review I read on the Internet and was disappointed.  If I'd been able to look their songs up online and had done so, I wouldn't have bought the album.  My bias is to think that WMG is overall making a bad move in removing the videos, but it's a bias, and to speak authoritatively on it a person would have to actually study the problem.

As for the moral aspect, I'm torn.  On one hand, I imagine creating and producing a song that meant the world to me.  A lot of work went into it, not to mention the portion of my soul I invested in it, and what I produced was a work of art, a succinct yet clarion expression of something vivid and true.  Then I go online and see someone has done an awful DragonBallZ mashup set to the score of my masterpiece.  I am not flattered; I am outraged.  My work has been trivialized, given a context where it becomes vapid and pedestrian.  This guy on YouTube is not expressing anything of value; he isn't a satirist criticizing my song through the medium of anime, nor a student of anime trying to elucidate the emotional subtleties of DragonBallZ by juxtaposing it with my song.  He just made a stupid mashup for him and his friends to laugh at.  When I see him doing that, I want to say: No.  You don't get to do that.  Not to my song.  And it's true: I wrote it, I sang it, it's on the CD I produced; doesn't that count for anything?  Shouldn't I get to decide who gets to use my work and how?  Or at least get to stop people from committing violence against it?

On the other hand, my outrage aside, the AMV's masher-upper hasn't harmed me.  He hasn't broken my leg or stolen my TV.  He's just used a song he legitimately bought in a way I hate.  People do things other people hate all the time.  Tomorrow night on the Daily Show will be Jon Stewart making fun of Bobby Jindal six ways from Sunday, taking quotes out of context, playing them side by side with Kenneth the Page and Mr. Rogers, whatever he can think of to denigrate Jindal -- but no one says that Jindal should be able to shut down that part of the program because he doesn't like what Jon is doing to his speech.  It's not just because Jon's show is satire and comedy and hence art, either; no one would ever consider banning mashups of speeches in any context.  Once you say something in a speech it's out there for the world to twist however they want.  Why is music different?  Is oratory less an art than music?  No.  The only substantial difference is that Jindal's speech was itself noncommercial, while I'm making money from the song I wrote.  So an artist's rights to control his creation have nothing to do with protecting his artistry; they have everything to do with money.

That seems wrong to me.  I think I would disagree with a copyright law that says that when you create something you get to control it in order to protect it, but I could understand its logic.  But copyright laws that discriminate between authors of the kind of art you sell and authors of the kind of art that's free to everyone don't seem logical to me, because whether you sell the art doesn't bear on the art.

TL;DR: I don't know whether this is a good commercial decision for WMG, but I think the system that allows them to make the call is illogical because it discriminates between art-for-profit and non-profit art.

#23 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:26:08 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

On the other hand, my outrage aside, the AMV's masher-upper hasn't harmed me.  He hasn't broken my leg or stolen my TV.[/b]

They have stolen from you, though.  They stole your song.  That song is your property.  They stole a bit of the money you could garner from the song, and even if there is some other/new audience/money coming your way, it's coming to you from a commercial source (say, youtube) in a way you may not be comfortable with.  Think of politicians using songs without licensing them - or without artist participation - to further their campaigns or establish a public image.  Copyright means the right to make copies before it means anything else; controlling the production.  And the use may irrevocably alter the perception of the song for (a percentage of) the audience.

The AMV-maker has the right to take this issue to court, just like anyone else.  Other artists have had to do so before, and some have won.  If the AMV-maker can demonstrate that they should be in their legal rights for reasons of parody, or for the reason that they have extraordinarily altered the works they have appropriated via context, they may win.

Youtube, of course, has the right not to host any video they, as a company, choose not to host.  Their part in this may be regrettable, but to my mind it has only a tangential connection to the real issue, which would seem to be the rights of the interpretive artist versus the rights of artists (and their representatives) who originally generated the material.

And, yes, I think the laws need tightening/revising to allow for the current social atmosphere's recognition of interpretive art and the necessity of appropriation.

#24 | Back to Top02-25-2009 11:24:56 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Hmm. What you guys have said is interesting, but I'm still of the opinion that WMG can afford the loss of .01 pennies while I enjoy listening to some music I downloaded. As can Robbie Williams, Abba, Metallica et al. Frankly I have no moral scruples about it whatsoever, although I can understand why people might. Maybe when I live in an enormous mansion, can afford to buy 4 cars and have enough money to ensure that my mum can keep the heating on and live in a decent house, I'll start worrying about it.
[/bluntness]

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#25 | Back to Top02-25-2009 11:55:05 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

When it comes down to it, it seems that the big companies are worried they might be missing out on profits somehow and the internet is the cause of all this loss they suffer and if they could stop the MP3s been copied or AMVs been made, they will end up with loads of lovely cash to raise the bottom line and appease the stockbrokers as I doubt that the average artist or board-member would notice any particular difference in their lifestyle.

Board footer