This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top07-09-2010 11:08:00 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

Giovanna wrote:

How about the Kaji in the second Evangelion remake movie hits on everything that walks and pulls a total Touga with the cold can on Shinji and then whips out a 'Just kidding' then there's a sequence strangely reminiscent of the climax of SKU?

I know Ikuhara and Anno were buddies and communicated a lot during the creations of SKU and Evangelion, so I feel like I shouldn't just write off any connection I see as paranoia.

Maybe they used to throw cold cans at each other before seduction and we're watching the baby of an inside joke.

I love the Nanami cat commercial etc-love oh absolute vodka, I want that movie made NOW. And then I want cosplays done.

Last edited by haelsyx (07-09-2010 11:10:31 AM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#102 | Back to Top07-10-2010 01:19:29 PM

Calamity
High Tripper

I've been playing two Shin Megami Tensei games at once right now and both have little things that click my mind back to Utena:

Some demons throughout the main SMT games can get a move called Revolution which of course makes me think "Grant me the power to bring the world revolution!" and whenever the Student Council gets mentioned in Persona 3 (or Persona 3 Portable as I'm playing now) I end up giggling and thinking of our dear Student Council, also both Student Council Presidents are redheads. emot-rofl

Last edited by Calamity (07-10-2010 07:37:46 PM)

#103 | Back to Top07-10-2010 08:49:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh oh! I have Persona: Innocent Sin as a fan-translation on emulator. I need to get back to that. emot-dance

I thought Harry Potter was crying out for Akio but it turns out he just wanted to make the port key come to him. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#104 | Back to Top07-11-2010 05:05:28 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

Innocent Sin is so fantastic. I think the day they announced that the fan project was done was the last time before the announcement of our remastered DVDs that the internet made me so happy I wanted to explode. emot-tongue I really hope you enjoy the game! etc-love

#105 | Back to Top07-13-2010 12:47:08 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

1) Just like everyone else, roses in general ((especially white)). I bought this white rose ring that fits on my engagement finger so whenever I look down at it, I instantly think of Utena.
2) Also, since my gf && I cosplay from the show; I always think about it a bit whenever we talk or are around each other :]
3) Elevator, 'nuff said ((I actually do quote Touga, when I'm with friends/by myself of course. I did it once with someone else in the elevator, they looked incredibly confused && sprinted out when they got to their floor xD))
4) Going up long flights of stairs, I start humming Zettai.
5) When I have to stretch my legs for P.E. ((since Utena loves to do that in the show))
6) Flashy red cars...I instantly assume Akio must be nearby.
7) There's seriously this winding street I drive through, lined with insanely tall street lights; it looks /exactly/ like the setting for when Akio has his car driving moments.
8) Oxford shoes, they have a similar style to Utena's in the tv show.
9) Planetariums...I'm just hoping there's no sketchy incest going on when I visit one ;D

I'm sure there's more. Yep...simply put, I'm an Utena-tard xD;

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

~*~ Youtube: youtube.com/animentalcosplayer ~*~
~*~ dA: animentalcosplayer.deviantart.com ~*~

#106 | Back to Top07-13-2010 05:52:39 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I love saying Utena-y things in elevators. ESPECIALLY if there are other people in there.

The best one is MOKUSHIKUSHIMOSHIMOKUKUMOSHIMOSHIKUSHIKUMO

yesss

#107 | Back to Top07-13-2010 09:30:18 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I so agree! It always keeps the simple things in life interesting xD;

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

#108 | Back to Top07-14-2010 05:14:30 AM

Neva Caruso
Tenjou Tilter

allegoriest wrote:

I love saying Utena-y things in elevators. ESPECIALLY if there are other people in there.

I do this, too!

#109 | Back to Top07-14-2010 02:40:27 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

Once while I was at school, I'd tried to do the egg speech on an elevator, but I kept laughing. Also, the school only has two floors, nowhere near long enough to perform the speech.

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#110 | Back to Top07-14-2010 03:24:42 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Manipulating people to do useless tasks.  Akio much?
I do it all the time, it's great.

I just thought of this -- Before I even knew Utena existed when I was much younger, I used to take eggs out of the refrigerator and try to get them to hatch.  Never laid any, though.  school-eng101

#111 | Back to Top07-14-2010 03:48:46 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I saw an episode of I Love Lucy where she gets an inferiority complex last week, and all I could think about was Shiori.

Giovanna wrote:

How about the Kaji in the second Evangelion remake movie hits on everything that walks and pulls a total Touga with the cold can on Shinji and then whips out a 'Just kidding' then there's a sequence strangely reminiscent of the climax of SKU?

I know Ikuhara and Anno were buddies and communicated a lot during the creations of SKU and Evangelion, so I feel like I shouldn't just write off any connection I see as paranoia.

Ha ha! Wow, now I need to watch Evangelion. emot-smile

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#112 | Back to Top07-15-2010 11:46:28 AM

kitsune_keyblader
New Student

All the normal stuff such as elevators, roses, red cars. But also, I've noticed that my OCs have some Utena inspired traits about them. My Nobody OC (Kingdom Hearts) seems rather Anthy-ish, and my FF8 OC is quite Utena-ish. Well, there's nothing wrongwith that I guess, there's soooo much awesomeness that one can't help but use it as inspiration. There's also the fact that I've started to look for Utena-ish symbolism in my favorite games/shows/books which include, but are not limited to Kingdom Hearts series, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Princess Tutu, and Jane Eyre...yeah I've lost it, I know. emot-aaa

#113 | Back to Top07-15-2010 01:29:40 PM

teyhy
High Tripper
Website

Today is my birthday and a friend of the family send me 12 pink roses. She doesn't know about SKU but I was totally thinking about Utena.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - H. Berlioz.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/teyhy/for%20fo/Untitled-1copy.jpg?t=1280266589

#114 | Back to Top07-15-2010 01:53:11 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

That's the coolest birthday present ever!

#115 | Back to Top07-15-2010 07:38:39 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Teyhy, that is probably an Utena fans favorite gift ((providing they like roses && all emot-biggrin)). How nice that a friend did that for you, too! emot-keke

My gf ((who cosplays Anthy with me)) actually got my white roses for our 1 year. I don't know if that counts as something that reminds me of Utena because it was intentional, after all etc-love
So I know, getting roses instantly makes me think of Utena :] haha.

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

#116 | Back to Top07-16-2010 06:02:29 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

My boyfriend is joining the Kendo club at NYU, and my entire experience with Kendo consists of watching Saionji beat a stick up and down like a cute and harmless green haired robot. This is followed by the thought of chuchu-Saionji

Last edited by haelsyx (07-16-2010 06:05:32 AM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#117 | Back to Top07-16-2010 10:42:20 PM

useme_imbeautiful
Saionji Slapper

..Things that make me think about SKU:
Arrow signs-any arrow signs i see i think about the Nemuro Memorial Hall.
Butterflies, makes me think of the Utena movie!
Roses- of course.
Pincushions- reminds me of anthy! emot-gonk need i say why?
And Hair dye, i always wanted to dye my hair pink but i never did. then i see pink hair dye in the store and i think of Utena.

i want him.

#118 | Back to Top07-16-2010 10:49:28 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

useme_imbeautiful wrote:

Roses- of course.
And Hair dye, i always wanted to dye my hair pink but i never did. then i see pink hair dye in the store and i think of Utena.

I dye my hair purple.  xD

#119 | Back to Top07-16-2010 10:51:56 PM

useme_imbeautiful
Saionji Slapper

winksniper wrote:

useme_imbeautiful wrote:

Roses- of course.

I dye my hair purple.  xD

Oooh! i wanted purple highlights before! what dye do you use?

i want him.

#120 | Back to Top07-16-2010 10:53:37 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I use Garnier's Dark Burgundy Brown, but my hair's already kinda dark so it ends up looking like a cool reddish-purplish color.  emot-smile

#121 | Back to Top07-18-2010 06:54:35 AM

Neva Caruso
Tenjou Tilter

Okay, here's a sad one.

I was walking around yesterday with my roommates (both of whom have seen some or all of SKU), and we passed by a fast-food billboard depicting an egg, a breakfast sandwich, and the slogan, "Breakfast: coming out of its shell."

N. and I just look at each other, and she asks, "Were you thinking what I was thinking?"

And I say, "Too easy!" and we all burst out laughing.

#122 | Back to Top07-18-2010 01:35:57 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Neva Caruso, that's freaking amazing~ XDDD;
I would've died laughing if I saw something like that too. I'm sure the student council wouldn't be too pleased though emot-tongue

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

#123 | Back to Top07-18-2010 04:51:39 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Neva Caruso wrote:

Okay, here's a sad one.

I was walking around yesterday with my roommates (both of whom have seen some or all of SKU), and we passed by a fast-food billboard depicting an egg, a breakfast sandwich, and the slogan, "Breakfast: coming out of its shell."

N. and I just look at each other, and she asks, "Were you thinking what I was thinking?"

And I say, "Too easy!" and we all burst out laughing.

I'd give anything to have moments like this with my friends in RL.  etc-love 

< needs moar otaku.

#124 | Back to Top07-28-2010 07:25:32 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

A while back, I was visiting my uncle in Atlanta with my mom and older sister. Before returning Home, we went to a restaurant in the city, at the top of a tall building. The interesting thing about this particular restaurant, was that the area where everyone actually sat and ate rotated, allowing a full view of the city while dining.
Before actually going up to the restaurant, we took some stairs down to what appeared to be a café in order to speak to someone and let them know we were there. While going down the stairs, I thought about singing Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku. When we took an elevator to the top floor where the restaurant was, I made another attempt at the egg speech, but forgot the rest of the lines partway through.emot-rofl I swear, one of these days I will get that speech right!

Last edited by RhythmFusion (08-08-2010 07:54:10 PM)

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#125 | Back to Top08-16-2010 07:57:05 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

I went with my co-worker to a place that sells specialty beers today, and look what I found:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/TheAntiSora/213416.jpg

End of the World brand beer! (Yes, I know it's in French, but it still counts!)  It has a complex flavor: very sweet but with a sharp bitter aftertaste.  I think Akio would approve.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

Board footer