This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-21-2013 02:13:42 AM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Of Lion King fanfiction and Miki's dark side

I think I've posted about this before, but I figure I might as well make a thread since I think this warrants some discussion.

So, these two Lion King human AU fics that have a very... Utena-ish take on the relationship of Scar and Mufasa (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) are a thing. I think they're both fascinating, but one of the things that hit me about the first one especially was how I could totally see Miki and Kozue's relationship degrading into that without the revolution as well. Bear with me.

Miki is a character so many people go on about the innocence and purity of, but I think he's capable of being extremely fucked up. He's already got quite the self righteous streak, not to mention some benign sexism. I'd even argue he already has a whore/Madonna complex (what with how he sees Anthy vs. Kozue). While he might not be all that bad at the age of thirteen, what happens a few years later when the corruption of Ohtori really starts sinking in?

Say they keep going at the rate they're going pre-revolution. Miki and Kozue keep having sex (I'm in the camp that car ride=getting laid), but all those other traits of Miki still exist. He's still self righteous, with firm ideas about how people should and shouldn't act. He still wants to keep Kozue in line. And he still has that raging whore/Madonna complex. Even if he gets Anthy or another partner, he puts them on a pedestal and thus is squicked by doing something impure and sinful like sex with them, however Kozue is the impure whore and fucking her is something they do to show their love for each other. Something they bond over. And ultimately, something Miki might try to utilize to control her, whether she wants it or not.

All the while, he thinks he's being a good, loving brother. A prince even, who's only doing what he has to to show his sister he loves her and keep her in line.

tl;dr, I think Miki might ultimately become a self righteous, sister-raping asshole, film at 11.

Am I crazy, or is there something to this?

Last edited by Android raptor (02-21-2013 02:16:09 AM)

#2 | Back to Top02-21-2013 03:38:17 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Re: Of Lion King fanfiction and Miki's dark side

While Miki is one of the nicer characters in the show, I could definitely see him taking a darker turn.

#3 | Back to Top02-21-2013 10:00:56 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

While Miki is one of the nicer characters in the show, I could definitely see him taking a darker turn.

Agreed.  In Ep 10, he was quite sarcastic about Saionji's expulsion. 
Miki (smirking):  I thought he might do that eventually,
Miki:  but now that he has, does it really seem true to character?

And, he would fight even Juri just to get first dips on dueling Utena again.
Miki:  Touga-sempai's wound hasn't healed yet.
Miki:  I'll fight in his place.
Juri:  You can't beat Utena.
Juri:  I'll go. I will crush Tenjou Utena for sure, this time.
Miki:  I'm going. Please back down, Juri-san.
Juri:  What?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#4 | Back to Top02-21-2013 03:31:02 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Of course, he's only 13 (I believe) so it's hard to say how he'll end up. There's still a lot of time for him to change in various ways depending on which direction he gets "pushed". Which is true for a lot of characters, but you know.

#5 | Back to Top02-21-2013 04:00:36 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

Of course, he's only 13 (I believe) so it's hard to say how he'll end up. There's still a lot of time for him to change in various ways depending on which direction he gets "pushed". Which is true for a lot of characters, but you know.

Yep, 13 just like Nanami; I think we've all seen just how much Nanami has changed by the end of the series.

Much like how it is in the real world, childlike and potential-for-evil are actually not mutually exclusive in SKU, as is demo-ed by a number of its young cast.

Edited to add:

Android raptor wrote:

tl;dr, I think Miki might ultimately become a self righteous, sister-raping asshole, film at 11.

Change raping to slapping, and it's just like the Miki I wrote.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (02-21-2013 08:06:36 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Board footer