This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-05-2011 11:51:19 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Money saving ideas

1/ If you live near enough to the shops, buy yourself a shopping trolley and walk there instead of driving a car.  (When I say close enough, I mean less than 20-30 minutes walking distance.) 

You should do this cos chances are, you need the exercise.

2/ Experiment with the cheaper version of products you normally use, if the price difference is big enough and the quality is still good enough, switch.

3/ Unless the public transport is really really crap and expensive, try using it instead of driving everywhere.

4/ If you have switched to a hybrid car that uses half the fuel, don't act all smug and drive it twice as much, negating the financial and environmental savings.

#27 | Back to Top07-16-2011 10:00:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

If you find that you are an impulse buyer, always make a habit out of keeping receipts, and only buying from places with good return policies.  Most of the time you realize you didn't want whatever it was all that badly anyway.  If caught in a store, or mall, or browsing for something online and you really want it, walk around the store with it (or keep researching, reading about and looking at it/reviews of it online) until you are bored with, or no longer want it.  Some say this is because you now feel like you posses the item, causing it to lose its appeal.  Either way, it seems to work.  You can also not buy it, promising yourself to hold off at least a day -if you still want it the next day you will get it.  Most of the time by the next day you don't really care about it anymore.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-28-2011 09:14:01 PM)

#28 | Back to Top08-15-2011 04:04:01 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Mine are all food-related, mostly because groceries are pretty expensive where I live.

1) Bisquick mix. It's really versatile. Pancakes and waffles are a given, of course. I just made a decent batch of biscuits with it, but you can use it for dumplings or for frying batter as well.

2) Spice mixes. It costs a lot of money to build up a decent spice rack, so if you only need a certain spice for this one dish, then this is the way to go. I especially like McCormick's Recipe Inspirations, but I've only tried the Garlic Lime Fajitas so far.

3) Buy ingredients that you can use in multiple dishes. For example, I bought sour cream that I used in the fajitas mentioned above, but I had a ton left over when the fajitas were gone. So I used the rest for chicken paprikash (chicken in a sour cream and paprika sauce).

4) If possible, spread your shopping around multiple stores and compare prices. Canned green beans are pretty much the same wherever you go, but they may be cheaper at the drug store than at the supermarket. And I don't think I need to tell you to sign up for a store's discount card if they offer it.

5) Not quite food-related, but take a multivitamin every day to help fill in any nutritional gaps and to keep yourself healthy overall.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#29 | Back to Top08-16-2011 08:02:48 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Mixed produce bags at farmer's markets.  I swear they're there.  Keep looking.  They built them so that you will come.

#30 | Back to Top09-10-2011 04:53:58 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Wal-Mart is not a good place, but for anyone hurting in the money department right now in need of some bakeware, they have a new brand of really cheap stuff called E-Z Baking, which includes pizza pans, cookie sheets, loaf pans and cake and pie pans all for 96 cents a piece (intended for students).  Are they cheap looking and you will probably have to wash them gently by hand to make them last as long as you can, and the cookie sheets will probably temporarily warp every time you use them.... yes.  But the same can be said of slightly more expensive brands like Main Stay.   They will scratch easy, are thin, and prone to rust, but for 96 cents, they will get you by.

Also, for all those with cheaper brands of cookware... never put them in the washer, always gently hand wash them.  The finish washes right off cheaper stuff in a washer.  Also, as mentioned, DRY THEM THOROUGHLY.  Do not let them drip dry, wipe them with a hand towel or they will rust.  You can also dry them in the oven set at 250 degrees (then turn it off once you put in the pans), but energy costs may be a concern.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-10-2011 05:00:42 PM)

#31 | Back to Top09-15-2011 08:29:57 AM

wblstudios
Banned

Coupons.  People underestimate the power of coupons.

#32 | Back to Top09-28-2011 09:23:55 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Actually learn how to cook.  Not only will you save money by not spending cash on eating out and instant dinners and snacks, but you will make less grocery trips because you will be more likely to know what to do with whatever odds and ends are left in your refrigerator.   You'll also shop smarter by buying ingredients you know you can make multiple, different types of meals from.   Plus no wasted money from failed kitchen ventures.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-28-2011 10:01:40 PM)

Board footer