This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-06-2012 10:30:47 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Hunting a particular AMV

I give up. I need help.

Due to a formatting error (*cough*mine*cough*) I've lost the contents of my hard drive- including my Utena AMV collection. I've managed to hunt up most of what I lost, but there's a particular one for the life of me I cannot find. I've been searching for hours and I'm nearly out of my skull. There's only so many AMVs of anything you can watch before wanting to chew on the edge of your keyboard.

Helpfully,this one is set to 'All The Things She Said'. Which definitely narrows it down. emot-rolleyes

This one is set in the TV series. It starts with a shot of the bells, and then moves to focus on Anthy and Ruka, edited in and out to perfect timing with the music as they're bending back for the swords to be pulled out of their chests. This sequence is repeated several times in line with the chorus, with the final one focusing on Utena and Anthy.

Please...help...me...

#2 | Back to Top01-09-2012 02:40:00 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Re: Hunting a particular AMV

I hope you find it, as I know what it's like to lose a perfectly good AMV. 

For kicks, I looked for it last night, and I'm sure you're pretty tired of finding that movie version one that opens with the bells. ;)  Don't lose heart, but if that AMV is gone for good (as sometimes, sadly happens,) well... maybe there's a support thread somewhere.  etc-love

#3 | Back to Top01-10-2012 07:05:39 AM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

Crystalwren I know exactly what amv you’re talking about (starts with Anthy and Ruka’s sword draw and ends with Anthy’s scene from episode 30), this is probably one of my favourite amv’s and after an extremely thorough search I can’t find it. I know it was on youtube but seems to have been taken down, but even going though animemusicvideos.org files, our own amv archive and a google search I still can’t find it. The only way this survived is if somebody saved it like you did. emot-frown Now I miss it.

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

#4 | Back to Top01-11-2012 02:24:36 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Well guys, this is pretty much where I give up. I've spent hours upon hours and a large chunk of my brandwidith allowance trying to hunt this AMV down. I've even downloaded and installed a a formatted data retriever programme; no luck there either. I've already copied over the data. There is my old desktop HD that I've recently formatted and I'm attempting to convince the programme to work on there, but so far, no luck. And I don't think I had the AMV in question on there either. So here's hoping that one day it resurfaces. Until then it's going to sit in the back of my brain and nag at me, but I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Thanks for your help, guys. I think we all gave it our best shot.

#5 | Back to Top01-13-2012 04:19:57 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Okay, so I'm not completely worn down. I'll admit I'm still clambering through yootoob, but with less emphasis on booming voiceThe Lost AMVecho echo echo and more to see what's out there. And I've come across this particular gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnbyReleUo

I never considered Silent Hill as a match for Utena before, but when you think of it...maybe not quite of a stretch as it'd seem at first.

Last edited by crystalwren (01-13-2012 04:21:14 AM)

#6 | Back to Top01-13-2012 06:18:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

As sad as I am that you're not locating your original work (I dug all over my computers and didn't find...), that is a pretty amazing find. I always thought that music that's right near the beginning felt very SKUy.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top01-20-2012 06:36:18 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Ladies, gentlemen and unaffiliated:

After tens of hours spent on youtube, and literally days and days of running two separate data retrieval programmes on a very shaky, reformatted and old laptop, and an extremely shaky, reformatted and downright dinosaur hard drive ripped out of an old desktop, I am pleased to announce:

I HAVE FOUND THE MISSING BASTARD AMV.

And didn't it take a hell of a lot of work to do so. I'm amazed that my laptop survived the whole process without overheating and melting.
Here we go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vwiihw271h5msge

I'm unsure of how long this file will be available, so hopefully some kind soul with a file sharing account will come up with a better link. Also, I should probably mention that I could only view the file with Windows Media Player Classic; all other media programmes just played the audio.

Is it how I remembered it? Not quite. Was it worth all this effort? Probably not, but at least it's not going to sit in the back of my head and nag at me for the next twelve months.

So: do you think it's as good as all that?

P.S The next time you accidentally lose data, I strongly recommend either Easeus or Recuva. Easeus is excellent but limits you to recovering only one gig of data before you must buy the entire software package. Recuva, on the other hand, is entirely free.

Last edited by crystalwren (01-20-2012 06:38:34 PM)

#8 | Back to Top02-07-2012 03:39:12 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Is anyone having trouble with the download? Shall I post it to another fileshare site?

#9 | Back to Top02-07-2012 07:24:55 PM

jmie5
Precious One

I downloaded it a while ago from you, when my little laptop was still working.  (Geez, I go through them like crazy.)  Anyway, a while ago, the link was working.  I was just too amused you actually found the darn thing that I forgot to comment (and yeah, it is pretty good.)  Congratulations on your triumph!

#10 | Back to Top02-08-2012 06:17:46 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oh, good! I was getting a bit worried. emot-biggrin I'm the first to sign up for any interesting torrent but direct file sharing always makes me nervous. And I'm glad you liked it.

Board footer