This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-03-2006 01:34:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OK. SOMEONE on Wikipedia thinks they're VERY funny!

HILARIOUS JACKASS ON WIKIPEDIA wrote:

Weird Facts: Akio has a penchant, in the English language version, for saying the word "Ciao". And, as the Movie shows, defying gravity with dynamic butt-slides over he hood of cars. Even a taxi. Akio is also, arguably, the most hated character in Utena.
Fond (and not so) Fan Nicknames - The Devil, The **** wiped off of Dios' boot, Mullet-head, Mr. Mullet, Mr. Ciao

ALRIGHT. Who is the comedy GENIUS that did this???? SOMEONE THINKS THEY'RE FUCKING GROUCHO MARX. emot-mad You people can shitcan the hair. Fine. It's a mullet. Dump on movie Akio all you like. BUT THIS IS BULLSHIT. emot-mad

emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad

(...does series dub Akio really do the 'Ciao!' thing? emot-gonk)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top11-03-2006 01:42:01 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: OK. SOMEONE on Wikipedia thinks they're VERY funny!

I'm sorry, Gio, but this is for your own good.. *tranquilizies*  emot-frown

But wow, someone out there is biased. That's one reason why I don't like wiki. Anyone can go and edit the articles and be as misleading or biased as they want. Or post extremely false facts, which I had the mistake of reading a few times..

#3 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:04:35 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Just wipe that stuff off and say a couple of words about opinionate writing in the forums if they try to put it back.

Wiki is great, but in subjective matters shit can happen.

Last edited by Lightice (11-03-2006 02:05:12 PM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#4 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:04:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

If you thought "Tou" was bad, in English he really does say, "Ciao." emot-gonk I saw an interview with his voice actor. "They needed someone to say, "Ciao" as he jumped over a car, and that character eventually developed into Akio." Unsurprisingly, at the end of the interview, he said he was going to watch the series for the first time. No offense to him, but he makes Akio sound like the type of villian who kicks puppies and steals candy from babies.

If you're ever the mood to have your ears burned, watch the dub! Staring "Utena Tenju," "Tuuga Kiriyuu," and "Seionji Kiyoichi!"

Urbandictionary.com wrote:

Akio Car:
Red topless (not convertible) sportscar, custom plate "OHTORI", appears in places it shouldn't be able to drive to. Its engine is the sound that races around the end of the world.

Don't you just love the throb of the engine?

Last edited by Razara (11-03-2006 02:07:33 PM)

#5 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:20:10 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Razara wrote:

If you thought "Tou" was bad, in English he really does say, "Ciao." emot-gonk I saw an interview with his voice actor. "They needed someone to say, "Ciao" as he jumped over a car, and that character eventually developed into Akio." Unsurprisingly, at the end of the interview, he said he was going to watch the series for the first time. No offense to him, but he makes Akio sound like the type of villian who kicks puppies and steals candy from babies.

If you're ever the mood to have your ears burned, watch the dub! Staring "Utena Tenju," "Tuuga Kiriyuu," and "Seionji Kiyoichi!"

Unfortunately, I think that's the case with most English voice actors for anime (as in, they do the voice and then maybe they'll go and watch the series or a few eps). That's why I just don't feel comfortable watching English dubs. Though I will say that they did a wonderful amazing job for the Cowboy Bebop movie. Also, I think Mononoke Hime wasn't too bad....those were movies, though, with a much higher quality of voice acting than in Cartoon Network shows.

I did out of curiosity turn on the dubbing for about 2 minutes on my Utena DVDs, while NAH-na-mee and SOOchiya Rooka were talking in ep 28. That was the end of that.

#6 | Back to Top11-03-2006 05:52:18 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

And of course, Wa-KA-ba is awfully heavy, despite how small she is.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#7 | Back to Top11-03-2006 05:57:59 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

I think those of us who like unpopular characters see a lot of this.  You can always report the article as biased, ya' know.

#8 | Back to Top11-03-2006 06:41:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Shance wrote:

You can always report the article as biased, ya' know.

Or you can just fix it emot-smile  It's more constructive, and in this case it wouldn't take any longer.  BTW, I contributed to that article!  Go me!  emot-dance

As for the dub voice actors, they are... wow.  They can't even figure out whether they want to pronounce it OOH-teh-nuh or oo-TAY-nuh.  More importantly, they think they're filming a series for ten-year-olds, and they act accordingly; their emotions have all the subtlety of Elmer Fudd's.  Yet they can't muster the emotional intensity of Wakaba.  There are good anime dubs out there -- Boogiepop Phantom's is pretty good, and Kino no Tabi's is almost as good as the Japanese -- but Utena's is not one of them.

#9 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:54:26 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Shance wrote:

I think those of us who like unpopular characters see a lot of this.  You can always report the article as biased, ya' know.

As soon as I clicked on the link, I scrolled down to see if someone had written something like that about Shiori. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had.

I edited the profile, but only so that I could add the kanji for Shiori's name, since it had been written as "???" before.

Last edited by Razara (11-03-2006 07:54:48 PM)

#10 | Back to Top11-03-2006 10:35:55 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

Razara wrote:

Shance wrote:

As soon as I clicked on the link, I scrolled down to see if someone had written something like that about Shiori. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had.

I edited the profile, but only so that I could add the kanji for Shiori's name, since it had been written as "???" before.

I remember finding one of those Quizilla tests, and it was "Which relationship from Utena are you?".  Of course, the result for "Juri/Shiori" had a fun little comment about Shiori being a self-righteous little whore.

#11 | Back to Top11-03-2006 11:33:11 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

It's so annoying when people do that. This is not the first time though! I've seen the Utena article being edited before too.
People should get a hobby or something... I'm sure there are much better things to do with your time than something like that :\

Hehe, I wouldn't be surprised if that article would get locked for vandalism.

Last edited by Maarika (11-03-2006 11:34:08 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#12 | Back to Top11-04-2006 04:46:43 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

ShatteredMirror wrote:

And of course, Wa-KA-ba is awfully heavy, despite how small she is.

And we mustn't forget Hi-me-MEE-ya. >_>

#13 | Back to Top11-04-2006 08:42:49 AM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

I contributed to that article too. But I haven't been active at Wikipedia for some months.

But when I was, it was normal that stupid things like this would be corrected quickly, often in a matter of minutes. There are so many honest, interested people looking at the Wikipedia articles that vandalism, or even just wrong-headedness, just never seems to get a foothold.

Laurie

#14 | Back to Top11-04-2006 10:13:37 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Shance wrote:

[
I remember finding one of those Quizilla tests, and it was "Which relationship from Utena are you?".  Of course, the result for "Juri/Shiori" had a fun little comment about Shiori being a self-righteous little whore.

Because Juri is just the image of level-headed, calm rationality.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#15 | Back to Top11-04-2006 04:25:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Suncat wrote:

But when I was, it was normal that stupid things like this would be corrected quickly, often in a matter of minutes. There are so many honest, interested people looking at the Wikipedia articles that vandalism, or even just wrong-headedness, just never seems to get a foothold.

I personally love Wikipedia and have spent many, many hours clicking around topics, drowning in the wealth of information. Start at the Arecibo Observatory and end at Zeus and Ganymede? Oh yes. etc-love But it is not a place for quoting in your school papers, if I hit a subject that can be ambiguous, and it interests me enough, I do fact check Wikipedia. But if you accept what it is and account for that, it's a very awesome thing.

I just realize a series like SKU is not a good Wikipedia entry. Far too much room for silly garbage like that and not enough people to correct inaccuracies.

As for the dub, I've literally watched about 20 seconds of it. Enough to determine I won't be doing that again. (WHY DOES AKIO HAVE TO SAY 'CIAO' WHEN HE JUMPS THE CAR, I DON'T RECALL COMMENT BEING NECESSARY IN THE ORIGINAL BECAUSE REALLY WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN YOU FLIP RIGHT OVER A GOD DAMN CAR, HE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE GONE 'WHEEEE! emot-keke')

I've watched more of SKU in other languages than I have of SKU in English. At least the Italian dub sounds like they watched the show first.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#16 | Back to Top11-04-2006 11:42:42 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Apparently the English dub gets better as the series progresses, but I don't think it's worth it. The only series I like dubbed is Hellsing, which works for me since it takes place in England, and the fake accents are very good.

#17 | Back to Top11-05-2006 12:04:08 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My major complaint about the dub was that Miki sounded older than Akio. This is a great injustice.

Also Touga sounded like a two-bit children's magician. While that is a valid interpretation of his character, I think it's much nicer when he's scheming and sexy and arrogant. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#18 | Back to Top11-05-2006 12:05:05 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well technically that would also be an accurate interpretation of Akio, but that would similarly be a great insult to his character.

#19 | Back to Top11-05-2006 12:11:21 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Yasha wrote:

My major complaint about the dub was that Miki sounded older than Akio. This is a great injustice.

What bothers me the most is Mitsuru's voice. He sounds like an adult, yet he's still complaining about how he can't wait to become an adult.

#20 | Back to Top11-05-2006 12:23:02 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I never got far enough into the dub to hear his voice. I was too frightened. emot-frown

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#21 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:28:20 AM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

YES movie dub Akio says ciao. It is the most hilarious thing ever-- I had to pause the DVD for ten minutes because I couldn't stop laughing.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#22 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:04:27 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Reminds me of the Encyclopaedia Dramatica article.

Sooomebody's a big fan.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#23 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:07:57 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hinotori wrote:

Reminds me of the Encyclopaedia Dramatica article.

Haha, that's been edited since I last saw it. Awesome.

#24 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:13:50 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I immediately felt a swell of pride upon realizing with all certainty that that image of Touga and Nanami is from my gallery. etc-love (I know my own work.)

That said it's an amusingly accurate description. Hell, if you'd shown that to me years ago it woulda made me watch the series a lot sooner.

Akio: Anthy's brother, he fucks her all the time. He is also the villain.
Touga: A douchebag.
Saionji: An even bigger douchebag than Touga.

etc-love etc-love etc-love Whores and douchebags. etc-love etc-love etc-love

(Although really on what planet is Saionji the biggest douchebag in the series? Come on.)

#25 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:21:14 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Giovanna wrote:

etc-love etc-love etc-love Whores and douchebags. etc-love etc-love etc-love

And Lesbians! You forgot lesbians! OH HOW COULD YOU FORGET LESBIANS!?

It's a hilariously superficial description, but I'm pretty sure a similar presentation was what got me to watch it in the first place. "So there's this lesbian with a pink mullet...."

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

Board footer