This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-28-2013 01:38:38 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Bee and Puppycat, anyone?

Do you like fairy tales? Adventure Time? Studio Ghibli? Then you'll love Bee and Puppycat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58

It's only an episode so far, but more is slowly coming. It's from one of the women who worked on Adventure Time, and it shows. It's sort of like if that show had a bit more sparkly shoujo. I'm also a fan of Steven Universe. Really, everything Frederator makes is really awesome and inclusive of everyone. I really want to make Bee's cat-apron outfit, both for cosplay and general mucking around. :3

Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top08-28-2013 10:06:37 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Bee and Puppycat, anyone?

what the fuck did I just watch

uh... no... no no no NO NO. I don't like this outfit!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top08-29-2013 05:58:27 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

What the fuck was up with that monster?!

#4 | Back to Top08-29-2013 06:17:52 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Maybe we should form a support group.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top08-29-2013 08:06:00 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

one word:

WHAT

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#6 | Back to Top08-29-2013 09:19:02 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Man, maybe Adventure Time has jaded me to weirdness(taking way too many classes on postmodernism doesn't help either...). When Utena fans say something is weird.....damn.

Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top08-29-2013 10:37:20 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Uhm, what. Lol.

#8 | Back to Top08-29-2013 03:46:11 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Man, maybe Adventure Time has jaded me to weirdness(taking way too many classes on postmodernism doesn't help either...). When Utena fans say something is weird.....damn.

Well, it's not bad -- it's certainly adorable. Definitely Ghibli-inspired.

Still, wut?

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#9 | Back to Top08-29-2013 05:15:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

I guess I'm just not used to weird if it doesn't involve internal organs being creatively rearranged emot-keke

#10 | Back to Top08-29-2013 05:41:32 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I'm under the impression that more of it will make sense as the show goes on. Adventure Time did(although not completely, by any means).

...This really makes me want to show you guys Wonder Showzen. Even among my friends I've only got like four people to like it. So, uhhh, don't click this link or else you're a terrible person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

......I miss Hyacinth Black. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member

#11 | Back to Top08-29-2013 05:58:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I am a terrible person. That's awesome. emot-rofl

Hey, have you ever heard of Vermilion Pleasure Night?

Don't click if you're afraid of needles.

Full Episode with English Subs!

#12 | Back to Top08-30-2013 11:38:06 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Frau Eva wrote:

Do you like fairy tales? Adventure Time? Studio Ghibli? Then you'll love Bee and Puppycat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58

It's only an episode so far, but more is slowly coming. It's from one of the women who worked on Adventure Time, and it shows. It's sort of like if that show had a bit more sparkly shoujo. I'm also a fan of Steven Universe. Really, everything Frederator makes is really awesome and inclusive of everyone. I really want to make Bee's cat-apron outfit, both for cosplay and general mucking around. :3

I'm hardcore in love with Bee and Puppycat.  I love that they've taken the klutzy, awkward, over-sleeping, no-skills (read: average) shoujo protagonist and showed what would happen to such a girl once she graduated highschool.  Which is that she would be a jobless loser.

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#13 | Back to Top08-31-2013 10:01:44 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I HAVE INDEED, YASHA. emot-biggrin I haven't watched a full episode, but I'm a big fan of a lot of their sketches--particularly the English lessons, Cathy's House, and Midnight Cooking. I have too many things I need to watch--a great first world problem. I'm also a fan of OH! Mikey, another strange Japanese thing that I can't convince anyone to like.

I'd love to get an episode of Wonder Showzen linked, but Viacom. Especially the episode where God commits suicide and they cannibalize his body. There are some episodes that are unwatcheable though due to Any Kaufman-like antics--especially the "Patience" themed episode where they literally stop the show and play the entire first half backwards. The first time I watched it, I thought, "There's no way they can do this for the entire rest of the episode, I'll keep watching." I underestimated them terribly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-xePlM-zg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTqgDC4WP5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvrGHsjD7g

Totally agree with you, Light. Although I think Bee is still a bit better than that even because most shoujo protagonists cry at the drop of the hat(Usagi, Miaka, manga!Lina Inverse). I think a lot of shoujo protagonists are just mediocre to the point of me wanting to scream SHIT GET IT TOGETHER. I know it's supposed to be average and make me feel like I can put myself into their shoes and relate, but I think it goes too far most of the time. But everyone, even if you've had some schooling past high school, has pretty much been in Bee's situation once in their life.

Hat Mafia Member

#14 | Back to Top09-01-2013 01:30:15 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm just gonna post-emptively take credit for you having seen Vermilion Pleasure Night and buff my nails for a while.... cool

Definitely gonna follow Bee and Puppycat though. As for Wonder Showzen, while I enjoyed the bit that I saw, I can also go on 4chan to get politically incorrect humor of that sort, so getting around viacom's defenses is a less than optimal usage of my time. Not that I didn't laugh-- I most certainly did emot-biggrin

#15 | Back to Top09-01-2013 01:08:35 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Eh, Viacom actually released all of the seasons on DVD, so I can't blame them for protecting it(unlike sometimes when companies never release anything for a show and still fiercely guard its use). And sketches and parts of episodes haven't been taken down, so they're not shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyway, I'm always glad to see practically anything in children's media that 1)has a female taking an active role, and 2)actually tries. A lot of the girl-oriented shows from my childhood.....blerrrrgh. If they had superpowers, they were weird and exceptionally fluffy vague ones. Rose Petal would somehow fight evil spiders with her Marie Osmond voice. Lady LovelyLocks had...magic hair? I honestly don't know what the hell she did. Rainbow Brite fights people with color somehow. I'm pretty sure Strawberry Shortcake couldn't do anything. I think I might have been just a bit too young and missed She-Ra, so the closest I had was Princess Guinevere and the Jewel Riders--which I bought the toys too and made up my own infinitely better adventures to than the show. All of these protagonists were perfect beyond belief. No wonder I lost my mind over Sailor Moon when it came on TV. Even if Usagi's personality was crappy, at least she HAD ONE.

Hat Mafia Member

#16 | Back to Top09-01-2013 09:08:24 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Well that... reminds me very much of a particular part of SKU.  As written by, like, those early 2000's online animations doing an abridged series.

Not a huge fan of the deadpan voice acting, or the less expressive animation style, but I'll be interested to see where this goes.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#17 | Back to Top09-02-2013 06:43:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Frau Eva wrote:

Totally agree with you, Light. Although I think Bee is still a bit better than that even because most shoujo protagonists cry at the drop of the hat(Usagi, Miaka, manga!Lina Inverse). I think a lot of shoujo protagonists are just mediocre to the point of me wanting to scream SHIT GET IT TOGETHER. I know it's supposed to be average and make me feel like I can put myself into their shoes and relate, but I think it goes too far most of the time. But everyone, even if you've had some schooling past high school, has pretty much been in Bee's situation once in their life.

Well, Bee certainly complains loudly at the drop of a hat... for five seconds.  Then moves on.  XD  I think that's part of why I like it.  It's all the fun of shoujo, without it taking ten minutes of still frames and internal monologue to establish personality, emotion and motivation.

#18 | Back to Top09-06-2013 12:50:47 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Well, Bee certainly complains loudly at the drop of a hat... for five seconds.  Then moves on.  XD  I think that's part of why I like it.  It's all the fun of shoujo, without it taking ten minutes of still frames and internal monologue to establish personality, emotion and motivation.

"OH MY GOD...THE SAD FISH JUST METAMORPHOSED INTO A TWO MOUTHED MONSTER! NOM! NOM! IT'S DEAD! THIS IS THE MOST DRAMATIC MOMENT OF MY LIFE! Oh hey, I'm on my couch again. Anyone for lasagne?"

#19 | Back to Top09-09-2013 06:12:34 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I loved this Bee and Puppycat episode. I thought it was hilarious.emot-rofl

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#20 | Back to Top09-09-2013 12:09:18 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Wait, are there more yet?

Uh... I should... go do some work on the site update. Yeah....

#21 | Back to Top09-09-2013 09:47:58 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I've only seen the first episode, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second one. Maybe I should have said "I love Bee and Puppycat so far."

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#22 | Back to Top09-10-2013 02:16:08 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Lolwut? What's with the ladybug?

Okay, I'm hooked in a weird way.

Last edited by Riri-kins (09-10-2013 02:26:19 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#23 | Back to Top10-26-2013 02:08:43 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Hey, guys. Just wanting to update you guys that, if you liked this show, they now have a Kickstarter. I'm trying to promote it not just because I personally like the show, but because it probably won't get funding otherwise. Steven Universe, a cartoon pilot made about the same time and from the same stable of creators from Adventure Time, has already gotten picked up. But it has a male main character, even if he does seem to be the lamest among a supporting cast of awesome females. Mike and Brian, the makers of Avatar the Last Airbender, said that executives didn't want to pick up Legends of Korra because it had a female main character and they said little boys wouldn't watch it. It was only after they did market testing and showed it to little boys who loved it regardless that the executives agreed to pick it up. And Mike and Brian have had a previously successful series that ties into it, so what hope does a show like Bee and Puppycat have?

Getting this show fully funded by community support will be a concrete way of showing executives that their ideas are based on outdated notions. You should be able to have a series with a member of more than half the population and have it succeed. I know it's more than half-funded right now with over half-way left to go, but I've seen promising Kickstarters lose momentum before. Especially with so much needed to make a show--those have the worst history of not making the goal. So if you liked this show and you have some discretionary cash to spare, please consider giving what you can. If you don't have the cash, please repost somewhere to spread the word.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fre … the-series

Hat Mafia Member

#24 | Back to Top10-26-2013 07:03:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

...gonna see what I can spare, even if just for the opportunity to kick network prejudices in the teeth. Fuck those guys that think no one would buy games or tv shows with female leads. I justify my pirating with the amount of shit they won't do that I would pay for.

#25 | Back to Top12-05-2013 03:52:08 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

We did it, guys. Bee and Puppycat got enough support for nine episodes.  emot-dance

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Board footer