This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-05-2010 03:26:34 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

RoseCon '10?

Proposals
Washington, DC: Valeli
New Orleans: Frau Eva - WINNER!

Ah, the new year is here and a new chance at a get together. I would totally try for it this year because I totally think we should!

It would particularly rock my world if you guys held in Minneapolis, which has a number of attractions (The Guthrie Theater, an excellent mass-transit system, Mall of America fifteen-twenty minutes away, First Avenue, extremely well-stocked book/video stores, a library with the best anime selection I have ever seen, etc., etc.) New York it's not, but certainly a number of vIRGins do live in the area.

Plus a number of really interesting Cons are held there in the summer.

Last edited by satyreyes (03-07-2010 02:45:06 PM)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#2 | Back to Top01-05-2010 08:25:22 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Re: RoseCon '10?

I. LOVE. Minneapolis.

While I am completely unsure of as to whether or not I can do this (I am trying to go to Toronto this summer as well), I definitely second the location.

#3 | Back to Top01-05-2010 09:05:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mmm, I like Minnesota!  Or rather, I like the Acme Comedy Co., the Smitten Kitten, and the campus of Macalester College, which are basically the only Twin Cities areas I have memories of.  I'm epically unqualified to organize a con in Minneapolis, though I'd help any way I could from Fort Myers, but I would try to come if someone else organized it -- in MN or anywhere else, for that matter!

#4 | Back to Top01-06-2010 12:54:51 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

emot-frown.... still little chance for me to come... Maybe I should believe in miracles? emot-keke

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#5 | Back to Top01-06-2010 04:57:36 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

New England is nice...

#6 | Back to Top01-06-2010 07:46:51 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

North Carolina is always a treat! There are lots of fun things to do!

...I'm sorry, I just can't lie to you that way. emot-gonk

Since I will finally be turning 18 this year, there might actually be a vague possibility of me attending RoseCon! Don't really have any suggestions at this time. Stay classy, RoseCon. cool

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#7 | Back to Top01-06-2010 08:49:10 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I could probably make it to just about anywhere in the continental US. I'd advocate KC, but the general boringness plus lack of any useful mass transit makes it a pretty hard sell. Also, I'm not going to lie, which people are likely to attend would make a difference for me too. But I would like to see anyone from RoseCon '08 certainly.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top01-06-2010 09:00:13 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

It really depend on when it is. Summertime + lower latitudes = baaaaad. (yes. sheep-style badness) Though I would want to go, very very much, 'cause I'd love to meet you all and try to prove I'm not as much of a beastly bitch as I tend to seem! Ahahaha. emot-gonk  Where is, much less of a concern. Granted, if one were to say, 'hey, let's hold RoseCon'10 in Denver', man, that would be a dream. But, I have no clue what fascinating things might lie in my city. I've been in actual Denver, er. Not many times. Research could be done, though, aaaand, yeah. It is a relatively viable, sort of centrallish idea. The bus and rail system is pretty acceptable, unless one wants to go places at 2am, but I think most buslines in cities have that problem. Downtown busses tend to run pretty late, even so.

I do imagine, it will be a similar situation for Giovanna as last year, and, as always, one cannot have a RoseCon without the founders, but you know what they say about assuming.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#9 | Back to Top01-06-2010 10:18:58 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Hey, what about New Orleans? emot-dance

I'd really love to go to a RoseCon for once! It all depends on money though. I'm way too broke to travel. If I get a 2nd job soon and can save up, it really doesn't matter much where. Although New Orleans is driving distance from here and it's so fun over there. emot-biggrin

#10 | Back to Top01-06-2010 10:56:24 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'd love to come, it just depends on when and where it is -- while getting to the States generally wouldn't be a huge issue for me, it depends on where I am living and working at the time. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#11 | Back to Top01-06-2010 11:15:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Clarice wrote:

I'd love to come, it just depends on when and where it is . . .

Mmm hmm!  I think if it's gonna happen in 2010, someone's going to need to step forward and organize it.  I've got a busy year ahead of me, and I think Gio and Yasha do too, so this one won't be run by the mods; if you -- yes, you! -- are willing to pitch a location and offer to organize the con, then say so, and we can all figure out whether we can get on board!  See this thread, this thread, and this thread for some idea of what "organizing" means; Gio and Yasha overachieved for RoseCon '08, but you should be able to suggest a couple safe and inexpensive hotels, travel options into and within the city, and things to do other than watch anime in a hotel room (awesome though that is), and you should be willing to put together a group itinerary that includes a lot of "ifs" and "maybes."  It's not your job to make sure everyone has a good time, but you can facilitate a good time!  In fact, I dare you!  school-devil

#12 | Back to Top01-06-2010 11:26:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Depending on when it is and how little effort I have to put forth to attend, I won't say I can't make a RoseCon'10. That said if it's held in the summer and everyone wants me there, it'll really be RoseCon'10:Scars and Drainage Tubes Edition. emot-redface

(Ps. I now have the full amount available to pay for the surgery. It's on, bitches.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#13 | Back to Top01-07-2010 05:57:40 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I'm going to make every effort to come if there is a RoseCon '10. school-eng101 This year I can do the money thing, and I don't particularly care where it's held...I've never been to the US (assuming it's most likely to be there), and I've always wanted to go. Just like I want to meet a heap of you. emot-biggrin

Unfortunately I don't think I'm the person to organize it, since I have no home-turf knowledge. I hope someone is able to step forward.

#14 | Back to Top01-07-2010 10:33:36 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

The UK's nice too guys, just thought I'd throw that one in there emot-tongue

....not a chance in hell, I know, but a girl can dream, eh? emot-tongue

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#15 | Back to Top01-07-2010 02:44:43 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

If Boston isn't a problem, I'd be happy to be in charge of finding cheap hotels, travel, tons of activities, and every other duty necessary for a Rosecon to take place.

#16 | Back to Top01-07-2010 02:55:16 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I think I'm the only forum member who lives in Pennsylvania, but Pittsburgh is a decent city. People like it, or so I hear. We've got the David Lawrence Convention Center (in which Tekkoshocon, Pittsburgh's annual anime convention, is held), several hotel options, and things to do. No, really! There are museums (holy crap are there museums), shopping districts, and plenty of nice places to eat. The South Side also has a lot of bars.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#17 | Back to Top01-07-2010 04:22:45 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

Anthiena wrote:

Ah, the new year is here and a new chance at a get together. I would totally try for it this year because I totally think we should!

It would particularly rock my world if you guys held in Minneapolis, which has a number of attractions (The Guthrie Theater, an excellent mass-transit system, Mall of America fifteen-twenty minutes away, First Avenue, extremely well-stocked book/video stores, a library with the best anime selection I have ever seen, etc., etc.) New York it's not, but certainly a number of vIRGins do live in the area.

Plus a number of really interesting Cons are held there in the summer.

Yes. Minneapolis. If you don't hold it in Minneapolis, I will cry.
I don't have enough money to be going out of state. emot-frown

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#18 | Back to Top01-07-2010 08:05:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Razara wrote:

If Boston isn't a problem, I'd be happy to be in charge of finding cheap hotels, travel, tons of activities, and every other duty necessary for a Rosecon to take place.

Holy cow, Razara, you're awesome!  emot-dance  (Though I knew that already!)  When would you want to host it?  I haven't been to Boston in years and would love to go back.

Anyone else want to volunteer?  Or shall we move straight to the can-go/can't-go phase?  emot-smile

#19 | Back to Top01-07-2010 08:16:34 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Minneapolis Rosecon.  Pic related.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/carve037/fourthkoma.png

Aya wrote:

Yes. Minneapolis. If you don't hold it in Minneapolis, I will cry.
I don't have enough money to be going out of state. emot-frown

Wait, since when is there another Minnesotan in here (aside from long-gone Suncat)?

Seriously, I'll start lookin' at shit if people are really interested.  There's plenty to do in town.  I wish I got out more and could tell you more, hehe.  Mall of America's only interesting if you're a 16 year old girl and money is no object; locals shop elsewhere.  And only a South Dakotan would think we have an "excellent mass-transit system"; ah, to have what the coastal cities have...  Seriously, though, there's a lot going on.  You mention First Ave, which yeah, is probably a must see, or at least the Warehouse District nightclub area, which is the heart of Twin Cities nightlife.  Uptown, a kind of upscale hipster neighborhood, also has a lot of that stuff going on.  It's less known that St. Paul has one of the last and best free zoos in the country, the Como Zoo, if you guys are lookin' to not spend much (there's also a big zoo out in the burbs, but shit's a drive and costs money).  A run out to the Science Museum on the riverfront could be entertaining.  If it's the summer and people wanna swim, there's more lakes in town than you can shake a stick at.  What other stuff you guys want me to look up, if people are serious about Minneapolis?  I can start looking at hotels and whatnot; should I be looking for nice ones or bargain ones or what?

#20 | Back to Top01-07-2010 08:25:28 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

It depends on when it is held. Sometime in the summer, I'll be taking English 112 [8 weeks as of 6/12/10] and Today's Hospitality Industry [4 weeks as of 5/08/10]. I won't be able to go at all if I take ENG112, but if I don't have the right teacher, I may not take it. So who knows? Until then, keep in mind I may not be able to go. emot-frown

#21 | Back to Top01-07-2010 08:40:14 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I'm busy as fuck whenever, and I'll be leaving for grad school in parts unknown come fall.  Best time for me would probably be shortly after summer session at the U ends in early August.  And yes, I realize that that means Gio, if she comes at all, is gonna be all chromed and wired up.

#22 | Back to Top01-07-2010 10:28:30 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

Duelist Megu wrote:

Wait, since when is there another Minnesotan in here (aside from long-gone Suncat)?

Oh, I haven't been here long enough to be noticed. Enjoying the (curse the word) snow?

People should also take note that the giant cherry on a spoon is in MN. Marvel at our art! Where would a better place to hold Rosecon be than an art centered city?

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#23 | Back to Top01-07-2010 10:41:49 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I'd love to do RoseCon again! I hope I can swing that this year, with me heading off to college physically and all... emot-frown I'm certainly going to try! emot-dance

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#24 | Back to Top01-08-2010 02:14:42 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Talking with the boyfriend, it does seem like there is enough here to make a metro Denver-based RoseCon a viable possibility. And, I could pull on my good seven years experience of con-based guest-wrangling (and other assorted associated abilities) to actually manage to make up a good itinerary. Probably. So, I will put it forward as a consideration.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#25 | Back to Top01-08-2010 05:15:32 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm out, unless my situation changes drastically (i.e. I win the lotto) or RC10 is held in Orlando. Not gonna lie, there is stuff to do here aside from Disney, but it's not much, and it's very little of it cheap. Also, no transit system. Soooooooo, yeah. Have fun guys. I'm gonna be standing in the corner, being all jealous.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer