This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-11-2006 12:01:01 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: [USofA] 11/7! Vote like it matters! Maybe someday it will.

How much do Americans pay for their petrol (gasoline) anyway?

Over here in Oz, we pay about $1.10 a litre which I believe works out to approx $5.00 a gallon.

I'm just curious.

#52 | Back to Top11-11-2006 12:37:08 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's at 2.26USD where I am for one gallon.

We're spoiled. emot-frown But it seems rather amusing we could manage to sell it for 2.17 until a couple days ago. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#53 | Back to Top11-11-2006 01:19:38 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Yeah, we're spoiled, gas-guzzling kids. XD Gas costs much more in other countries. And now we want more. Geez. I wish people would stress the need to conserve gasoline too, at least. emot-frown

#54 | Back to Top11-11-2006 03:12:56 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Here in the States we get the cheapest gas in the world but people still piss and moan about how expensive it is.

But then, the same people who hate paying property taxes also take it as a personal insult when they have to pay a toll to use a privately owned bridge. People want to have their cake and eat it too, which is stupid because the only point in having cake is to eat it. So they suck.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#55 | Back to Top11-11-2006 09:02:44 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I've got $2.04 a gallon here in Denver.  That's the lowest I've seen it in almost a year where we once had $1.94 a gallon.  I remember the olden days where gas was $.98 a gallon when I worked at a gas station in Ohio.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#56 | Back to Top11-11-2006 06:15:58 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Thanks ShatteredMirror. emot-biggrin

And I don't think most Americans even know how much other countries are paying for gas, so it isn't really a perspective people can put that it. I (who falls into the earlier mentioned child of two greencard holders category) had no freaking clue how much anyone was paying for gas until Americans started complaining about gas prices over the internet.  Then again, I have a bad habit of not giving people enough credit. I also don't drive regularly. ;<

People don't like change and incovenience, especially in western society where inconvenience IS change most of the time.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#57 | Back to Top11-11-2006 09:43:26 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

$1.94 - $2.26 a gallon? Wow it hasn't been around at that price where I live since before I was born. emot-aaa

#58 | Back to Top11-12-2006 01:21:51 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't drive, but that's as much because I can't afford liability insurance as anything else.

#59 | Back to Top11-23-2006 10:48:03 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it intensely amusing how every political conversation seems to turn into a discussion of gas prices. I guess I understand, because when you're paying $5 or $6 per gallon, you feel the impact more than you do when someone on the news tells you that the part you play in governing your country is as much a token part as the Queen of England. Still, though, every damn time??

You people need to elect me Tyrant-for-Life. You won't have gas prices to complain about, I'll be busy making the christian right wing freak out over the contraceptives I'm putting in the water supply. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#60 | Back to Top11-23-2006 03:10:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

You people need to elect me Tyrant-for-Life. You won't have gas prices to complain about, I'll be busy making the christian right wing freak out over the contraceptives I'm putting in the water supply. emot-mad

Funny you should mention that...

Oh yay!

Article Above wrote:

The Bush administration has appointed a new chief of family-planning programs at the Department of Health and Human Services who worked at a Christian pregnancy-counseling organization that regards the distribution of contraceptives as "demeaning to women."
"A Woman's Concern (aforementioned organization) is persuaded that the crass commercialization and distribution of birth control is demeaning to women, degrading of human sexuality and adverse to human health and happiness," the group's Web site says.
Marilyn Keefe, interim president of the National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association, which represents 4,000 family-planning clinics, said Keroack's work "seems to really be geared toward furthering anti-choice, anti-contraception policies." She added that despite the congressional election results, the appointment "goes to show you the importance of controlling the White House and how important federal agencies are in the delivery of health services."

Wow, don't you just love how Bush is really working with the Democrats by sneaking people like this into positions the Senate doesn't have to approve?

Anyway, Yasha, people have always bitched about gas prices in relation to government policy, especially in the US, because gas prices are 1. something we all deal with, and 2. very volatile to the social market in the US. You could similarly watch the stock market and get the same glimpse at 'oh shit', but most people don't follow the stock market because they don't pump that into their car, and the stock market is even more volatile, so you need to keep more perspective. If the gas prices change, you know something's up.

As for this administration, Bush and his cronies are glued at the hips to the companies putting gas in the pumps, so what the prices are doing is a very, very good way to analyze the State of the Union, as it were. Prices go up? Uhoh, someone's mad at Bushiepoo. They go down? Uhoh, the GOP is sucking American dick before the election. They go back up again? That's the GOP biting because we pushed its head down too hard and it gagged.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#61 | Back to Top11-23-2006 08:10:16 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Giovanna wrote:

Scary article

I'm scared. Hold me. And yes, we need Yasha to rule the country, if not the world. Be a better place that way.

Personally, I think every man should have a vasectomy and every woman should have her tubes tied. They can have their respective reproductive cells frozen and kept, and only allowed to reproduce if they both pass a rigorous screening process that proves that they would be acceptable parents.

Board footer