This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#201 | Back to Top03-05-2013 10:47:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Saparmurat Niyazov is dead: the notable deaths thread.

Wow, I saw the new post here and assumed it was for Hugo Chavez.  I'll miss that guy, in a weird way.  He was like the Abbott to our Costello.

But our Kozue's death is much sadder.  I never thought she would be the first one to go meet Utena in the outside world.

#202 | Back to Top03-05-2013 11:59:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Hugo Chavez and Paul Bearer.

Stupid world. Quit killing the good ones.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#203 | Back to Top03-07-2013 01:40:36 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Toren Smith has died.

Man did good work.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#204 | Back to Top03-07-2013 10:05:35 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Duane Gish, notorious for his use of the "Gish gallop," which is a method of uttering dozens if not hundreds of previously-debunked lies so rapidly that no honest scientist could possibly respond to them all in the time allotted when debating on the side of Biblical creationism, has died.

Good.

And he died on my birthday. Happy birthday to me!

ref: http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/03/duane-g … ead-at-91/

edit: punctuation

Last edited by Nova (03-07-2013 02:14:00 PM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#205 | Back to Top04-05-2013 12:17:30 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Man! Chinua Achebe a couple weeks ago, then Jess Franco, Carmine Infantino and now Roger Ebert.

Some may feel that, in leaving the world, they have left it poorer, but the way I see it, being here, they've made it a helluva lot richer.

Even if I disagreed with Ebert all the time on movies.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (04-05-2013 02:52:12 AM)

#206 | Back to Top04-05-2013 04:03:02 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

I guess videogames are art now.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#207 | Back to Top04-09-2013 10:08:47 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Margaret Hilda Thatcher has died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#208 | Back to Top04-10-2013 08:04:45 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Margaret Hilda Thatcher has died.

The parties people are throwing to celebrate are warming my heart. Whether or not she had some good points, she was a racist, classist horror who decimated a number of people's lives.

#209 | Back to Top05-02-2013 09:58:56 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

R.I.P. Chris Kelly who was one half of Kriss Kross. I loved Jump when I was seven years old.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#210 | Back to Top08-30-2013 05:48:38 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Wonderful poet, great translator, and nice guy Seamus Heaney has passed.

#211 | Back to Top10-27-2013 12:21:58 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Lou Reed, musician. Singer of the Velvet Underground.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#212 | Back to Top10-27-2013 12:38:21 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Marcia Wallace, voice of Edna Krabappel.

Flanders is a widower twice over.

#213 | Back to Top10-27-2013 02:47:13 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

Marcia Wallace, voice of Edna Krabappel.

Flanders is a widower twice over.

Fuck.

lex wrote:

Lou Reed, musician. Singer of the Velvet Underground.

Me.

Just woke up. Was singing Hanging Round into my coffee as I sat down and saw this.

Poor Laurie Anderson.

#214 | Back to Top12-05-2013 04:11:59 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

RIP Nelsen Mandela.

#215 | Back to Top12-07-2013 11:58:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm going to fess up here that I know like jack squat about him. Half the people I've heard mention him speak of the man in a very positive light, and the other half talk like he's a slaughter happy Nazi. I suppose I should like...read up on it? emot-redface (Any suggestions aside from the Wiki? Which I'm actually concerned might be biased...controversial topics aren't Wiki's strong point.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#216 | Back to Top12-08-2013 02:09:30 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

You probably won't find some unbiased source that goes very deep, unfortunately. It's funny, in a way, that he was convicted for things he very likely had no hand in, instead of crimes he was openly attached to, but people were hurt by his actions and he was actively upping the militancy and combat readiness of his organization. They pretty clearly did want a coup. It becomes an issue, then, of to what extent these violent actions or intimidation tactics are justified or, whether or not, on occasion someone was just shot because so-and-so didn't like them. And, without being there, breathing in that atmosphere, it's probably impossible to really get a lock on.

He wasn't a spree killer, but he was a terrorist. He was in charge of militant kill squads and bomb-makers. If he'd been slaughter happy, though, you'd think more people would've died after he was released. That, to me, is the remarkable thing. He didn't appear to be notably enraged or murderous towards his captors or the previous government the way I'd anticipate someone in his circumstances to be. Instead of being misanthropic, he was incredibly good at establishing rights for people of all ethnicities, genders, religions and sexualities even if the new government itself was a bit of a mess.

Meanwhile, Ronald Reagan and Dick Cheney were demanding he be put back into prison forever.

It comes to a point where it does become bigger than the actual human being. If he was every horrible thing or even a third of the horrible things he was accused of, it'd dampen everything done in his name, whether that's logical or not. It'd cast a sick shadow on so much. But, if he wasn't any of those things, that, too would weaken the image. So, I think, most people want one myth or another so that he can be a man on a t-shirt or a magic name to invoke.

#217 | Back to Top12-08-2013 12:00:51 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

He wasn't a spree killer, but he was a terrorist. He was in charge of militant kill squads and bomb-makers.

Oh, so that's why my uncle was saying he wasn't a hero. I mean...I'm not saying that's good at all...but maybe the ends justify the means in Mandela's case. I dunno. I've only heard positive things about him.

#218 | Back to Top12-08-2013 01:21:59 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

People can be complicated, I think is the moral.  Or at least they can resist easy sorting into the "good" and "evil" bins.  He hurt some people, he helped a whole lot of people, and the hurting and helping probably came in part from fundamentally the same traits of his character.  But all I really know is that he has been a beloved icon in South Africa since his presidency, and that South Africans are in a better position to evaluate his life in context than I am.

#219 | Back to Top12-15-2013 03:32:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Peter O'Toole died. Which, is a bad thing. As I wasn't done living in a world with a Peter O'Toole in it and now I've got no choice.

It is also bad for less selfish reasons.

#220 | Back to Top12-15-2013 05:31:20 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Beat me to Peter O'Toole. RIP. I loved him in many of the things I've seen him in (which, admittedly, certainly isn't all of what he's done, but still). Definitely a great and classic actor for large portions of his career.

Mandela is interesting. It sort of upsets me how much of what he did has been highly whitewashed in hindsight. It's a very winner writes history thing, in my eyes. ... Not to condone the actions of the regime he was up against or anything either, of course. But the way the modern media (in the US at least) treats him rubs me wrong. And again, not to say he didn't do good things for many people and bring about social justice. Either way, RIP to him as well. Everyone has reasons for what they do and, usually, they're not simply purely based on good or evil.

#221 | Back to Top12-15-2013 09:57:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I wasn't done living in a world with a Peter O'Toole in it and now I've got no choice.

Here here.

I think I might have to revisit Casanova now. (It was a BBC miniseries from way back, one of the Dr.Who guys starred as young Casanova but O'Toole was old Casanova telling his story to a flustered maid at an inn or something. It was awesome.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#222 | Back to Top01-28-2014 05:42:14 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

#223 | Back to Top02-02-2014 12:03:30 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 … 13623.html

#224 | Back to Top02-02-2014 12:06:56 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I just read about in in the local paper. Damn shame. He was a great director.

#225 | Back to Top02-03-2014 02:42:08 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased to know that his legacy for me was the role of Dusty in Twister. But I did really rather love that character.

Board footer