This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:46:28 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Re: The obligatory Utena +/x Anthy thread

Syna wrote:

REJECTING her attraction to the only males she is attracted to = Utena kicking ass at dueling = Utena being who she truly is. That's why I think this is suspect.

I don't buy that. She doesn't reject Akio. She still wants Akio up to the very end and would be his Princess. But she chooses saving Anthy first. That's why she loves Anthy, and ultimately, not Akio.

But that doesn't change the fact she's sexually attracted to Akio and, I'm quite confident, not Anthy.

All the other quotes deal with Anthy, yes. But she still specifically and explicitly says she has no sexual attraction to Anthy as late as episode 36.

Once again, the burden of proof you're holding here would seem to preclude believing anybody in the series is bisexual, either.

Last edited by Blade (12-12-2006 10:47:01 PM)

#27 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:50:36 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

She says she was very surprised when she saw the last seen of the movie.

The last scene? People must regularily turn into cars in Japan  because after that scene my brain was like this emot-aaa the whole time and the kiss was just a sweet way to end it. (I'm kidding of course. About the first part anyway, not the latter part)

Come to think of it, with Anthy trying to get into Utena's pants after the first duel you think it would be obvious where the relationship was going.

#28 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:53:59 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

In the commentary on the last three episodes of the series, there's a similar discussion in which Chiho Saito says she was adamant that Anthy and Utena not be that heavily involved. She says she was very surprised when she saw the last seen of the movie.

Really? I'm kind of surprised, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Chiho Saito insisted that Utena and Anthy be treated as a married couple.

All I'm going on is the commentary and admittedly it's been a while since I listened to (or rather read) it. But the gist of it was, when they were first planning out the series, Ikuhara (or someone) suggests getting Utena and Anthy 'together' and Chiho Saito said "No way" and implied she'd walk out on the project if they were going to do that. Of course she and Ikuhara are laughing about this during the commentary.

Blade wrote:

All the other quotes deal with Anthy, yes. But she still specifically and explicitly says she has no sexual attraction to Anthy as late as episode 36.

What is this quote? I skimmed the script for episode 36 and I couldn't find anything like that. (But I'm very hungry and tired right now, so that's my excuse.)

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-12-2006 11:00:57 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#29 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:08:36 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

Utena is attracted to Touga for the same reasons she's eventually attracted to Akio. Why, then, would outright rejecting Touga be such a step forward in her development? Why then would the duel be called "Self," and explicitly deal with Utena assuming a (feminine) identity which is false for her, and be resolved by her rejection of it?

Akio is lying through his teeth even better than Touga is, and she's deluding herself. In "Ends of the World," Akio paints a picture of Utena as a princess to his prince. Earlier, he complements her for her girly outfit. Both of these things Utena totally rejects. PART AND PARCEL of her attraction to Akio is her belief in him as a Prince -- these things are inseparable -- and that is shattered, because Utena is the Prince.

In the end, in the very end, she could give a shit about Akio. All she cares about is Anthy, and being a prince for Anthy so that she can be saved. She doesn't even give a damn about Dios when he appears. I don't see anywhere in the last two episodes any evidence of her even attempting to placate Akio, much less her desiring him anymore. She's wholly dedicated to Anthy.

An attempt at general clarification: what I've been attempting to argue is not that Utena is conclusively attracted to women within the series, hence I'm not sure that "burden of proof" applies. What I've attempted to establish is that it is a totally plausible possibility (which is supported by the fact that the creators saw it fit to discuss "whether they should kiss or not" in the first place). My argument is a difficult one because I'm chained to trying to use words like 'bisexual' when what I'm really trying to talk about is how sexuality is portrayed. What I've attempted to prove is that in Utena, it is far from binary, and that it is not accurate to talk about any of the characters as having a fixed sexual identity, for reasons I outlined in the other thread.

The evidence for Utena being attracted to only men is this: 1) the "normal girl" comment; 2) her attraction to Akio and Touga; 3) her comments about her relationship with Anthy. I think if you take Utena's character in context, 1 cannot be taken seriously (because the series shows us she is not normal) and 2 is all-around a gross mistake. In regards to 3, this only deals with her relationship with Anthy, not her potential attraction to women, which is open-ended.

Re: Anthy, though.... again, I am not doubting that within the series, they are relatively platonic. I'm only saying that Utena/Anthy is a totally realistic future prospect, and that it is to some degree implicated by the series. I hope that's clear.

#30 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:08:45 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't think that the two of them are involved romantically or sexually during the series. There's potential to them being involved after the series but it could really go either way. I don't think that Utena is attracted to Anthy during the series but I do think that Anthy is attracted to Utena and not just because she "reminds [her] so much of Dios when [she] loved him." Anthy shows more devotion to Utena than she does to either Touga or Saionji but overall it's really just more of a feeling I get from watching her. I couldn't point to specific things and tell you I think she's hot for Utena because of this, that and the other.

I don't think that Utena's completely straight but I don't really think that anyone on the show has a clearly definable sexuality. Anyone who insists as often and as adamantly as Utena that they're completely normal has got to be compensating for something. At least, that's been the case with everyone I've ever met. And regardless of her sexuality, Utena is not a "totally normal girl." She's different, she's special, and Wakaba's duel really pulls attention to that.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#31 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:12:50 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

What is this quote? I skimmed the script for episode 36 and I couldn't find anything like that. (But I'm very hungry and tired right now, so that's my excuse.)

Maybe it's episode 35? It's her quote to Juri specifically saying she loves Anthy, but her love isn't like Juri's love for Shiori (i.e., sexual love).

#32 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:17:02 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Blade wrote:

Maybe it's episode 35? It's her quote to Juri specifically saying she loves Anthy, but her love isn't like Juri's love for Shiori (i.e., sexual love).

Episode 36 emot-smile

EDIT: Oops, 37, my bad.

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-12-2006 11:30:44 PM)

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#33 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:25:43 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

*laugh* Maybe they're laughing because they are amused at the idea of confusing us. emot-dance

I remember Ikuhara as saying that he "wanted to see it."  Which is like, he thought it'd be sexy or sweet or something, not like "it was a necessary culmination of their relationship, which is partly defined by their mutual sexual attraction."

And Chiho Saito saying they should be treated like a married couple, well....

I must again refer to my own life.  My best friend and I treat each other like we're married in a lot of ways, and we do say we would be 'married' if we were lesbians (or one of us were male).  We are often treated by others as if we are dating or married.  I get significant other shotgun priviledges in her car, and vice-versa.  emot-wink  It is, as we tell people, "just a thing", a fact that others must accept.  Someone cracked a joke about us being "life partners" not too long ago.  (And do NOT get any impression that we have a perfect friendship, or that I think it's perfect... it's not.  It's just pretty damn great.)

I agree that I don't see any evidence of sexual attraction on Utena's behalf.  When she says to Juri that her feelings for Anthy "purer" than Juri's for Shiori, I took that to mean, "I'm not sexually attracted to Anthy."

Though I think there's a lot to imply that they might someday end up there after the series.  I mean, they are only about 14, so there's plenty of time for Utena to realize she's bisexual or a gay.  I still don't think it's the case, but it's a valid possibility for certain.  emot-keke

As for Anthy's attraction, I don't know.  I think Anthy's sexuality is really warped (I've been thinking about doing a post with my half-essay about Anthy's personality from a perspective of abuse).  It's probably the only way she knows how to show affection or gratitude.

Episode 37 wrote:

Juri:  And it's pathetic, but I've got my hands full with my own problems even now.
Utena:  Are you talking about Shiori-san?
Juri:  Why is it?
Juri:  Why can't I have any control over my own feelings?
Juri:  What will you do about Anthy?
Utena:  What?
Juri:  You love her, right?
Utena:  Well...it's not like your "love".
Utena:  Mine is pure, and...well, I guess yours is pure too, but...
Utena:  But I can't...Himemiya...
Utena:  any longer...

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-12-2006 11:27:50 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#34 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:30:27 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

rhyaniwyn wrote:

*laugh* Maybe they're laughing because they are amused at the idea of confusing us. emot-dance

Hmm, it really wouldn't shock me if Ikuhara and Saito were watching us right now and laughing their asses off at our attempts to completely dissect the series in every which way or form. THEY ARE OMNIPRESENT!

I like a lot of what you say, and I'd respond to it right this second, except I'm trying REALLY hard to extricate myself from the forum so I can go to sleep.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#35 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:33:15 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Syna wrote:

Akio is lying through his teeth even better than Touga is, and she's deluding herself. In "Ends of the World," Akio paints a picture of Utena as a princess to his prince. Earlier, he complements her for her girly outfit. Both of these things Utena totally rejects. PART AND PARCEL of her attraction to Akio is her belief in him as a Prince -- these things are inseparable -- and that is shattered, because Utena is the Prince.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with pretty much all of that. Utena doesn't reject Akio, she would be happily screwing him if it didn't mean giving up on Anthy. She most explicitly does NOT get attracted to Akio because she believes him to be a Prince. That's what Touga does in the Student Council Arc, and Akio specifically eschews. He presents himself as a normal guy and seduces her as a normal guy, seduces her in fact away from her prince ideal, something that the series explicitly deals with multiple times and both Utena and Akio refer to.

And Utena is not the Prince. The Prince doesn't exist.

An attempt at general clarification: what I've been attempting to argue is not that Utena is conclusively attracted to women within the series, hence I'm not sure that "burden of proof" applies. What I've attempted to establish is that it is a totally plausible possibility (which is supported by the fact that the creators saw it fit to discuss "whether they should kiss or not" in the first place).

It's not really supported by that at all. Ignoring that canon couldn't care less about authorial commentary, the fact a guy with a very well-documented fetishisation of lesbians says "I wanted to see these two girl characters kiss" doesn't mean there's any reason to believe said characters actually wish to kiss.

I mean, c'mon, if Robert Jordan wrote Utena and said "I wanted to see Utena spank Anthy", would you take that as hard evidence Utena has such a fetish? emot-tongue

The evidence for Utena being attracted to only men is this: 1) the "normal girl" comment; 2) her attraction to Akio and Touga; 3) her comments about her relationship with Anthy. I think if you take Utena's character in context, 1 cannot be taken seriously (because the series shows us she is not normal) and 2 is all-around a gross mistake. In regards to 3, this only deals with her relationship with Anthy, not her potential attraction to women, which is open-ended.

And I must disagree again. There is nothing "not normal" about Utena other than what Akio inserted into her life. The entire point of the series is that she is no hero, no shining ideal, no Prince, but a human being, with flaws and foibles. A young, naive human being. She appears as a hero, a not-normal person, in episode 1. That is a lie, a carefully constructed illusion by Akio to put Utena where he wants her to be.

You brought up Wakaba's duel before, but Wakaba's duel explicitly proves Utena is, in fact, normal. Because Wakaba could be Utena. Wakaba could shine JUST like Utena could, because she does. There's nothing "special" about Utena except her confidence in herself (and the fact Akio smooths her path).

I feel this is an incredibly important, repeatedly spotlighted lesson of the series, and I'm honestly startled you think Utena became the Prince. Utena loses when she declares herself to be becoming a Prince. Akio smugly points out she didn't become a Prince in the last scene, and he's not wrong about it. What Akio is wrong about is in thinking that matters. It doesn't. It's Utena the human Anthy follows; and Akio the would-be Prince she leaves behind.

As for 2 and 3... it may be a gross mistake, but it's the gross mistake she wanted to make. And I can't believe that if she was attracted to women, she wouldn't feel any attraction to Anthy. There's too much sexual overtone in their relationship for the thought not to cross her mind unless she was completely uninterested.

(And if she was so thoroughly and completely uninterested in Anthy sexually that being "engaged" to her, living with her, and sleeping in the same bed with her doesn't make her at all feel like being in a sexual relationship with her, how is any later sexual relationship plausible?)

Re: Anthy, though.... again, I am not doubting that within the series, they are relatively platonic. I'm only saying that Utena/Anthy is a totally realistic future prospect, and that it is to some degree implicated by the series. I hope that's clear.

I see what you're arguing. I just don't find it a realistic future prospect, because I don't believe Utena has any sexual interest in girls. emot-wink

#36 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:34:32 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

See, though, while I don't necessarily discard the implication that Utena's love isn't sexual like Juri's, I also think there's a lot to the fact she has so much trouble articulating how she feels about Anthy. I think this is as much a statement about the fact that Utena is not caught up in desperate pining over Anthy as anything else - like I said before, their relationship is much healthier, and their friendship is still alive. I don't just take it as "WE'RE NOT BOINKING"; that may be part of it, but I take it as being essentially about the fact that their relationships are different in other ways than the romance one. You know?

#37 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:35:36 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I'm slow. Regarding the quote that's already been posted by now:

I don't know how accurate the translation is, but from that it doesn't seem like Utena's saying she's straight, so much as she's saying Juri's screwed up. Foot in mouth syndrome. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Moving on:

About commentary I mentioned earlier, when the movie was being discussed.

According to the translation:

Ikuhara: When Utena turns into a car, don't you feel like you want to own that car?
Mediator: The fans?
Ikuhara: No, me. What's important is that I want that car. I'm the one who's making it.
Saito: So you want to ride that pink car that's named Utena?
Ikuhara: Yes.
Mediator: So you had your heart set on bringing that in at the end.
Ikuhara: I did.
*pause*
*laughter*
Ikuhara: Why do you look speechless?
Saito: And so Anthy rides it?
Ikuhara: Yes. Because at that point the two were "Go Love!"
Saito: They were?
Ikuhara: Isn't that how they were in the movie?
Saito: When I saw the last scene of the movie I was quite speechless.
Mediator: You were trying to express that riding they become one. Is that the symbolism?
Ikuhara: Yeah I guess. I really don't remember.
*laughter*

Although that's not the conversation I was thinking of. It must have been earlier.

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-12-2006 11:36:51 PM)

#38 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:37:50 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ragnarok wrote:

I don't know how accurate the translation is, but from that it doesn't seem like Utena's saying she's straight, so much as she's saying Juri's screwed up. Foot in mouth syndrome. That's my interpretation, anyway.

I definitely think she's got a case of foot in mouth here and she's definitely saying Juri's screwed up. Which, in many ways, she is.

#39 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:40:04 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

"It's not like your love. My love is pure, and, well, I guess your love is pure too, but..."

I really can't see that being uttered with the intent of saying that "Juri is messed up", honestly.

#40 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:44:50 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Wow, you guys are going fast. emot-biggrin  Love that post, Blade.  I think you made excellent points.  You and Syna think of the Prince very differently.

Ok, actually, that quote.

I have to interpret as follows:

Well...it's not like your "love"
     I love Himemiya as a friend.
Mine is pure, and...well, I guess yours is pure too, but...
     I'm not sexually attracted to her.  Wait, I'm not saying that makes your love "impure", I'm not a homophobe, I just mean it's different.
But I can't...Himemiya...
any longer...
     But I do love her, and I'm confused.

But I do really want to know what she can't do any longer.

She can't let Himemiya suffer any longer?
She can't protect Himemiya any longer?
She can't deny Himemiya any longer?

I mean, really!  What?!  I want to know!  *sigh*

Edit!

Oh, wait, maybe it's:

I can't _________.
Any longer and I will ___________.

Not I can't ______ any longer.

Which still doesn't actually help me guess anything I feel confident about.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-13-2006 12:46:51 AM)

#41 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:47:51 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Yeah, I have to agree that's an interesting line. Ikuhara would never give a straight answer about it, though. He gave one straight answer about Utena once, and that was it. emot-smile

#42 | Back to Top12-13-2006 12:09:03 AM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with pretty much all of that. Utena doesn't reject Akio, she would be happily screwing him if it didn't mean giving up on Anthy.

...except that, IMHO, she realizes Akio is the sort of person to control, manipulate, and exploit everyone around him and let Anthy suffer as a result. Akio is an exceptional liar; he paints just enough of a nuanced portrait, inserting just enough truth into the lies, that he is utterly convincing. That doesn't mean he's what he appears to be.

She most explicitly does NOT get attracted to Akio because she believes him to be a Prince.He presents himself as a normal guy and seduces her as a normal guy, seduces her in fact away from her prince ideal, something that the series explicitly deals with multiple times and both Utena and Akio refer to.

Then why does he paint such a portrait of idealized fairytale harmony in the end? Why the remarks that Utena is beautiful, that she will make a beautiful princess? Why in the end does Utena lie on the ground, wounded, revert to her princess gown, and when she finally gains the resolve to do what she needs to do, change back to her dueling outfit, signifying a rejection of the princess ideal?

Why does he deliberately try to feminize her on numerous occasions, the same way that Touga does? Akio just does it a lot better.

I beg to differ. Dios lived, once. Dios still lives, in a form, and his legacy is passed down through Utena - through his spirit in the duels, through his sword (which is eventually replaced by Utena's). Dios was very much a living being; he lived as much as Akio lives now. That he, as he is, can't be sustained in the tainted world he lives in, is something that the series drives at - and I don't doubt that Utena is in the end very much a human being, and that she sort of fails. But that's where so much of what's inspiring about Utena comes from: the ideal lives on in her regardless. In a very imperfect human form, but it lives.

There's no doubting at any rate that Utena's development involves her identification with the Prince.

It's not really supported by that at all. Ignoring that canon couldn't care less about authorial commentary, the fact a guy with a very well-documented fetishisation of lesbians says "I wanted to see these two girl characters kiss" doesn't mean there's any reason to believe said characters actually wish to kiss.

If he was willing to put it in the story, I would suggest that he had reason to believe it would fit into the continuity plausibly, y'know. emot-keke

There is nothing "not normal" about Utena other than what Akio inserted into her life. The entire point of the series is that she is no hero, no shining ideal, no Prince, but a human being, with flaws and foibles. A young, naive human being. She appears as a hero, a not-normal person, in episode 1. That is a lie, a carefully constructed illusion by Akio to put Utena where he wants her to be.

Not at all. Her nobility is authentic and not only is it authentic, it changes the course of the events around her. This Akio didn't insert: it was Utena herself, inspired by the suffering of Anthy. After Touga's first duel, Utena tries to be normal, and the message is, "what is normal for Utena is not normal for anybody else."

And aside from canon: how many gays have insisted over and over again that they're "normal" before coming out proper? emot-biggrin

You brought up Wakaba's duel before, but Wakaba's duel explicitly proves Utena is, in fact, normal.

No, it just proves that Wakaba could shine -- Wakaba could be not-normal.

I feel this is an incredibly important, repeatedly spotlighted lesson of the series, and I'm honestly startled you think Utena became the Prince. Utena loses when she declares herself to be becoming a Prince.

I'm startled you didn't see her as the Prince. I suppose it's hard to pinpoint just what "being the prince" means, but I think it's undeniable, again, that Utena identifies with the Prince, and that this identification is what is portrayed to be truest to Utena's self.

I quote Dios: "The only thing that will save her is a Prince she can believe in."

In this sense, Utena absolutely does not fail: because she was a Prince, Anthy believed in her, and was saved. That the ideals of nobility and friendship exist despite human foibles is, I believe, one of the major themes of Utena.

As for 2 and 3... it may be a gross mistake, but it's the gross mistake she wanted to make.

Doesn't make it any less of a mistake, I think, nor does it change the fact those mistakes were completely wrong for her.

And I can't believe that if she was attracted to women, she wouldn't feel any attraction to Anthy. There's too much sexual overtone in their relationship for the thought not to cross her mind unless she was completely uninterested.

This is a little confusing -- "sexual overtone"? ;) How could this exist if their relationship is completely platonic? Anthy and Utena's relationship is in the background for many, if not most, of the episodes; she and Utena live a relatively domesticated life. I don't see why it's not plausible that they'd be friends before anything developed. Especially since Utena is initially distracted by the possibility of her Prince.

I see what you're arguing. I just don't find it a realistic future prospect, because I don't believe Utena has any sexual interest in girls.

And as with Juri and boys, I say, "you have no proof she doesn't, so it's still a possibility, and given the nature of the series I'd say even a probability." emot-biggrin

#43 | Back to Top12-13-2006 12:44:53 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Syna wrote:

Also, do you have any other quotes from her besides the "don't get me wrong, I'm a normal girl, I want a boyfriend" quote? Which specifically deal with sexual attraction? Because I'd hold that in suspicion as well. Utena is no normal girl; the series spells this out for us many times, most notably in Wakaba's duel. The rest of the quotes I'm aware of deal with Anthy, and my opinion on that I've shared already.

Er, I don't know whether you could count these, but have you noticed that Akio asked both Anthy and Utena what they thought of each other and how they both avoided answering it straight.
The scene with Anthy was the teacup scene in the BR Arc, I think... I don't remember which episode. And the scene with Utena was in ep34. Quote:

"Akio:  It must be hard on you.
Utena:  Huh?
Akio:  Anthy. I understand.
Akio:  It must be tiring being friends with her for so long.
Utena:  Not at all. On the contrary, it's a big help having her around.
Akio:  Really?
Utena:  Himemiya's an important friend to me.
Akio:  What is a friend, to you?
Utena:  Well, so...it's someone important, right?"

Another thing note about this scene is that you see Utena blushing as she says the last line. It's not because she's with Akio, in fact, you see Akio making his moves right after that. I think this shows that neither Utena or Anthy could really decide what they felt for each other. That, or they wouldn't admit their feelings to themselves or others. I think this means even they couldn't  really understand their feelings towards one another. This is however reveals very little about the nature of their feelings. On Utena's side, it's at least friendship. I don't dare say what Anthy could be thinking about it since she seems to deny any and all feelings till the end.

My personal thought on this is that whatever their relationship was, it went beyond "love".  It was something much more pure than that. At least from Utena's side and she tried to show that to Anthy as well. I guess you can call it 'friendship' or whatever. As for them having a sexual relationship, I think has a potential, but most likely after the series.

And regarding proof... I think the opening and the ending credits have a few things to tell about the nature of their relationship, but they're still rather ambigious so it doesn't answer many questions. :/ Hehe, in fact while the opening might imply a platonic relationship then the ending for BR Arc and the rest of the arcs says something else.

Blade wrote:

Syna wrote:

REJECTING her attraction to the only males she is attracted to = Utena kicking ass at dueling = Utena being who she truly is. That's why I think this is suspect.

I don't buy that. She doesn't reject Akio. She still wants Akio up to the very end and would be his Princess. But she chooses saving Anthy first. That's why she loves Anthy, and ultimately, not Akio.

Question. When does Utena remember about promising to become Anthy's prince? I've always thought it was that very moment when she was about to become Akio's princess. Is that right? I want to know.

Blade wrote:

Also, Anthy is not a princess. The prince and princess are merely archetypes (is that the right word?), they are illusions controlling their lives. Utena was a lot like a prince, surely there are other people in the world who could have similiar characteristics and nobility. Would that make them princes? I think it's much easier to see that Anthy is no princess. Yes, she needs to be rescued since she seems to be doing nothing for herself. A lot pf people may be in a similiar situation where they don't know what to do so they'd need help from someone else. But once you look at every aspect of Anthy then you have to admit that she was at least partially responsible for what became of her.

Gaah, so many posts in such a short time! You people are gonna make me late for school this morning! emot-mad

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#44 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:01:51 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Yeah, this forum is killing me.  I may have to impose a limit on myself.

Your post reminded me of an idea I had about Rinbu Revolution.  The credits do such a good job summarizing the series (in such a way that you still never guess what they are telling you until you KNOW how it ends), and I always thought the song was very relevant.  But there are a few particular places in the full version that have always interested and bothered me.

(Translation v.2.1 © Verthandi [verthandi@niji.or.jp])

(...)

In that photograph of us, standing cheek-to-cheek,
A touch of loneliness fills our smiling faces.

Sarting tomorrow, bravely and with style,
I'll become a woman everyone will notice.
Even if the two of us are ever separated,
Our hearts will always be as one.

(...)

I'll go my way and I can't return.
When the time comes for each of us to choose her own path,
I will free such precious,
Precious memories.

(...)

No matter that I didn't view Utena and Anthy as a ... ... pair, I never liked the idea that they would go their separate ways, either.

And this part of the song... always made me think of either Utena or Anthy looking at that picture from the end, in the future.  Thinking of how important their friendship was, how they are both better for having met, but moving on with her now-separate life.  Not pining over the precious memories (like Anthy/Dios or Mikage), but freed by them.

I don't consider this canon, and I can easily see another interpretation that refers to specific events in the series, but, well...  I thought it was kinda poignant.

There's also that part that says that "Friendship is more important than anything." emot-wink With which I concur wholeheartedly.  But I already know my personal feeling that friendship is better than romance is biased.

#45 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:04:50 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Syna wrote:

...except that, IMHO, she realizes Akio is the sort of person to control, manipulate, and exploit everyone around him and let Anthy suffer as a result. Akio is an exceptional liar; he paints just enough of a nuanced portrait, inserting just enough truth into the lies, that he is utterly convincing. That doesn't mean he's what he appears to be.

I'm afraid here is as close as I'm likely to come to saying "No. You're wrong." emot-tongue

Utena, knowing that Akio is behind the duelling game, knowing that Akio has lied to her, that he bangs his sister, that everything else... still embraces him. Utena still wanted him. She knows he's the person to this and that and the other thing as you say, and she does not care. Just like she didn't care that he was engaged to someone else, and just like she didn't care he was banging Anthy except to get jealous of Anthy.

If Akio had lied to her and told her he would save Anthy if he could gain the power of Dios, she'd have been his princess forever. I think that's very clear.

Then why does he paint such a portrait of idealized fairytale harmony in the end? Why the remarks that Utena is beautiful, that she will make a beautiful princess? Why in the end does Utena lie on the ground, wounded, revert to her princess gown, and when she finally gains the resolve to do what she needs to do, change back to her dueling outfit, signifying a rejection of the princess ideal?

Because that's long after he seduced her and he's doing something entirely different. Once again: Akio seduces her as a man, not a Prince. Akio specifically seduces her away from her princely ideals. They both refer to this specifically, and Utena even gives up her ring because of it.

Why does he deliberately try to feminize her on numerous occasions, the same way that Touga does? Akio just does it a lot better.

And when Akio does it, she likes it, something I think you're ignoring.

I beg to differ. Dios lived, once. Dios still lives, in a form, and his legacy is passed down through Utena - through his spirit in the duels, through his sword (which is eventually replaced by Utena's). Dios was very much a living being; he lived as much as Akio lives now. That he, as he is, can't be sustained in the tainted world he lives in, is something that the series drives at - and I don't doubt that Utena is in the end very much a human being, and that she sort of fails. But that's where so much of what's inspiring about Utena comes from: the ideal lives on in her regardless. In a very imperfect human form, but it lives.

Ignoring the fact that basically nothing that happens in the duels is real...

Dios isn't about being "in a very imperfect human form".

Dios is about being God. Eternal. Omnipotent. Perfect. The power of Dios is the power of miracles, the shining thing, the thing that will revolutionise the world.

Dios lived, yes. Dios is Akio. Akio is Dios. They are the same being. Utena is not Dios, any more than she is Akio.

There's no doubting at any rate that Utena's development involves her identification with the Prince.

Certainly it does. And it is wrong. Her identification with being a Prince is what makes her arrogantly assume she knows what Anthy wants, what makes her ignore other people's concerns, and what makes her think she could beat Akio in a swordfight and that would somehow make anything better. Trying to be a Prince never leads to anything good for Utena, because trying to be a Prince is playing Akio's game.

Anthy doesn't say that Akio is wrong when he says Utena couldn't bring about a revolution. She says he doesn't understand what happened (to her), and that Utena has moved beyond his enclosed little world where he plays at being a Prince. Anthy is not leaving to find a Prince. She's leaving to find Utena.

If he was willing to put it in the story, I would suggest that he had reason to believe it would fit into the continuity plausibly, y'know. emot-keke

If he was willing to put it in the story, it would be in the story. It isn't, and to turn your own argument around, I would suggest that means he had reason to believe it would not fit into the continuity plausibly.

Instead, he stuck it in the movie, which has no continuity or consistancy worth mentioning.  Why not put it in the TV show if he wanted to see it? Must be some reason, right?

However, I consider this an invalid argument from either angle.

Not at all. Her nobility is authentic and not only is it authentic, it changes the course of the events around her. This Akio didn't insert: it was Utena herself, inspired by the suffering of Anthy. After Touga's first duel, Utena tries to be normal, and the message is, "what is normal for Utena is not normal for anybody else."

No, Utena tries to be a subdued doormat. That isn't normal for HER, and is tantamount to calling Touga sitting in a room listening to music through the Black Rose arc his attempt at being "normal".  Her nobility exists only inasmuch as in the end she chooses Anthy's good over her own good. If you want to call that noble, fine (I prefer "love", because it's not like she makes those kind of choices all the time). But it doesn't make anything about the Utena we see in episode 1 authentic. The Utena we see in episode 1 is a typical anime hero... and not a single shred of her will stand the test of time, because it is fake. The real Utena, the pure and noble Utena if you want that term (though I still dislike it), is the one we only see when all of that has been stripped away from her in Episode 39.

And aside from canon: how many gays have insisted over and over again that they're "normal" before coming out proper? emot-biggrin

With all due respect, this strikes me an argument borne more out of a desire to believe something than logic (and you're not the only one who's made it).

I'll insist to you all day I'm straight. I am. I am straight. I sexually desire only females. Saying this does not paradoxically make me crave the man-meat. emot-tongue

No, it just proves that Wakaba could shine -- Wakaba could be not-normal.

Then we'll never agree, I think. Because you thinking the lesson of Wakaba shining is that "Wakaba is special" rather than "Any person can shine" is incomprehensible to me as an actual serious view of the series.  Seriously, it's like coming away from the series thinking Akio won, it's that non-intuitive for me.

Wakaba is the definitive example of a non-special person. That's arguably her main purpose in the series, serving as the Everywoman.

I'm startled you didn't see her as the Prince. I suppose it's hard to pinpoint just what "being the prince" means, but I think it's undeniable, again, that Utena identifies with the Prince, and that this identification is what is portrayed to be truest to Utena's self.

Then why do you think it is that when Utena is fighting bravely and valiantly, shouting "I will become a Prince", she loses?

And why is it that crawling on her belly, bloody and beaten, saying "I'm sorry I couldn't become a Prince", she wins?

I quote Dios: "The only thing that will save her is a Prince she can believe in."

Dios is Akio. Dios is explictly Akio in that scene; the series even cheekily poses them exactly the same. Akio has every reason to wish Utena to believe this.

In this sense, Utena absolutely does not fail: because she was a Prince, Anthy believed in her, and was saved. That the ideals of nobility and friendship exist despite human foibles is, I believe, one of the major themes of Utena.

Anthy believes in Utena specifically because she isn't a Prince. She already has a Prince: Akio. She says as much. She also says Utena could never be her Prince. She isn't lying, because she has no reason to lie either time. Again, it is when Utena is doing the Prince act that Anthy stabs her in the back, because she is certain Utena can not save her and thus chooses Akio over her. She chooses the Prince over Utena.

Utena then saves Anthy. But not as the Prince. Specifically not as the Prince.

Doesn't make it any less of a mistake, I think, nor does it change the fact those mistakes were completely wrong for her.

I'm not saying Touga or Akio were good romantic matchups for her. Just that they were the matchups Utena wanted, not Juri or Anthy or Wakaba or any other woman (many, many, many of whom were available to her).

This is a little confusing -- "sexual overtone"? ;) How could this exist if their relationship is completely platonic?

Because they are "engaged", they live together, and they later share the same bed.

It's impossible for there not to be a sexual undertone under such circumstances. I could not be in those circumstances with anybody female and not recognise a sexual undertone. Yet Utena does not acknowledge any such undertone at all. Why not? I suggest it is because, just like with Wakaba, that Utena does not have any sexual interest in females.

Anthy and Utena's relationship is in the background for many, if not most, of the episodes; she and Utena live a relatively domesticated life. I don't see why it's not plausible that they'd be friends before anything developed. Especially since Utena is initially distracted by the possibility of her Prince.

Utena and Anthy have been good friends for quite some time by the point where we reach the Akio arc, and there is still not even the slightest indication of sexual interest in Anthy from Utena.

And as with Juri and boys, I say, "you have no proof she doesn't, so it's still a possibility, and given the nature of the series I'd say even a probability." emot-biggrin

Then, once again, I will point out that by those standards, you can't really be convinced anybody in the series is bisexual. There is more evidence Utena is straight than there is evidence that anybody is bisexual.  Seriously, anybody. There's no hard (har!) evidence Akio and Touga ever had sex, for instance.

#46 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:21:39 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Blade wrote:

Syna wrote:

And aside from canon: how many gays have insisted over and over again that they're "normal" before coming out proper?

With all due respect, this strikes me an argument borne more out of a desire to believe something than logic (and you're not the only one who's made it).

I made this argument because it reflects the reality of my life. I've seen it happen time and time again. And insisting that her saying it makes it true is no more or less logical than insisting that her repeating it makes it untrue. That kind of behavior depends on the nature of the individual and I'll have to disagree with you on the point as to whether or not you can prove something about someone who doesn't exist.

Blade wrote:

"It's not like your love. My love is pure, and, well, I guess your love is pure too, but..."

I really can't see that being uttered with the intent of saying that "Juri is messed up", honestly.

"It's not like your love. My love is pure..." Therefore, is Juri's love less pure? Impure? Yes, she backpedals, but hell, Juri is messed up and admits it. She's so wrapped up in being miserable that even if offered a chance to get what she wanted she wouldn't take it. (her car scene with Akio and Ruka. I don't remember the episode number.) But that's a discussion for another thread.

#47 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:35:38 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I made this argument because it reflects the reality of my life.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make it less wrong.

Why? Because it is based on nothing but anecdotal evidence, and it relies on your anecdotal evidence being applicable to every other situation.

It isn't. I'm straight. And saying I'm straight makes me no less straight. Therefore, your argument is wrong.

I can't say this strongly enough, because "People who deny they're gay/bi are in denial" is an insulting argument, every single bit as insulting and demeaning as saying "All gay/bisexual people can be 'cured' by religious faith". Acknowledging that obviously the second statement has hurt more people than the first, I still don't think either are acceptable statements.

#48 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:45:58 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Blade wrote:

This is a little confusing -- "sexual overtone"? ;) How could this exist if their relationship is completely platonic?

Because they are "engaged", they live together, and they later share the same bed.

Alllllll I've been trying to say is: Those things are there. That's implication, done on purpose by the creators of the series. Why does Utena lean towards Anthy as if about to kiss her before drawing out the sword of Dios? It looks cool. Lesbians rock. Also because this is a theme throughout the entire series.

For the record I'm aware that the following is a clearly biased argument:

Since Utena isn't blushing during every scene she shares with Anthy, (Like she does with Akio)  does that perclude she can't have slowly developed feelings of a romantic nature over time? Why don't we see Anthy and Utena kiss during the series? Because their relationship hasn't matured to the point where they would do so until swords are sticking into people. (Kills the mood.) Utena is 14 years old, and she's not deep into the self-analysis required to know what her true feelings are. I'm not saying 14 year old girls can't confirm their sexuality, but Utena personally doesn't seem the type to give it much thought. She grew up normally enough to undrestand that the proper romantic relationship is boy + girl = the love thing. There are many people who do not graps their sexual orientation until they are much older than Utena, or alternately perhaps their orientation changes over time. If someone asks Utena point blank "Do you like boys or girls?" she's going to answer with the 'correct' response. She isn't going to think about it at the time nor afterwards. Does that mean she really knows her own feelings? She doesn't understand the truth about being the prince she strived for since she was 8sh until the end of the last episode. Why is sexualizing Utena and Anthy's relationship a running theme throughout the series if it doesn't mean anything? Why are Touga and Akio lying on a bed undoing their pants? A lot of the series is implied, a lot of it is symbolism. A lot of it is interpretation. Hard evidence is a rare thing in a world run on the power of illusions and deceit.

Thus to summarize: It is a logically conclusion (not the ONLY logical conclusion by any means) that everything signifying sexuality between Utena and Anthy is forshadowing to a romantic relationship. One that they only achieve after the end of the series, because the point of the series is to get that far. To reach the moment of self-revolation Utena needs to pick Anthy over Akio, to choose a flawed and real woman over an idealized man who has been shown to be a lie. Metaphorically, if you will, for Utena to realize her romantic feelings towards Anthy as the truth, even if it is difficult for her, and reject the normal heterosexual relationship she could have with Akio which is the path of self-delusion. Breaking out of her shell, a place of safety but no growth, to enter into a dangerous world reborn as the person she was meant to be. To rise from a casket made from the ideals imposed upon her by society to live the life she wants.

That's all I'm saying. It's another way of looking at it. We can debate specifics of this scene or that for eternity, because this series was meant to be interpreted individually. Or, hey, maybe it wasn't meant to be interpretated at all, who can say for sure? But it has been, by everyone who's watched it. The things you can prove in SKU beyond a shadow of doubt aren't interesting anyway.

That's how I see the series, personally. emot-smile

(If you got through all that, congratulations! And I'm sorry for going on so long.)

#49 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:46:18 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm not saying that it's definitely true. The fact that you're saying you're straight and are telling the truth is every bit an anecdote as my experience with people saying they're straight and later realizing that they're gay. If your argument is to be true, it also relies on your anecdotal evidence being applicable to every situation.

#50 | Back to Top12-13-2006 02:14:13 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

No, I'm afraid not.

Your argument is that "Denying you're gay/bi means you're gay/bi." (i.e., all of set a is within set b)

My argument is that "You can't draw that implication at all from someone denying they're gay/bi."  (i.e., all of set a is not necessarily within set b)

Your argument requires everyone that denies being gay/bi to actually be gay/bi.

Mine requires that anyone at all that denies being gay/bi to be correct.

I am straight (a member of set a who is not within set b). Thus, your argument is wrong.

And once again, I will ask you not to say something that is very demeaning. Your argument is implying that I must be gay/bi. While that isn't a bad thing, I no more wish to be told by you that I am gay/bi than a gay/bi person would wish to be told they're really straight.

Board footer