This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-06-2012 07:48:57 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

New Sailor Moon anime

Looks like it's getting a new series!

http://www.moon-chase.com/2012/07/break … ws+Blog%29

Last edited by HonorableShadow (07-06-2012 07:49:14 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#2 | Back to Top07-06-2012 08:34:57 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: New Sailor Moon anime

What the . . . then, I demand Utena sequel: the Post School Kakumei!  Or at least a Kakuemi Rebuild!  Damn it!  Why is the BEST of the top 3 90s series not getting resurrected in this day and age crap plot anime!?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top07-06-2012 09:19:44 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

A lot of people on this forum really adore Sailor Moon.  It's nostalgic and was so poorly dubbed and censored it was an injustice for both the show and the LGBT community. :C  It gets re-hashed because it's easy to re-hash due to it being more magical adventure based.  There was very little left unsaid  in SKU, by comparison, that would warrant it a reboot.  The only major flaw with the show was the animation and that didn't keep it from being a classic or from being visually appealing -so instead of a reboot it got a remaster, which made more sense.

#4 | Back to Top07-06-2012 09:46:30 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm fucking excited, y'all.

The SM forum I'm on has basically lost their shit over this, and we're hoping that it's going to be the FMA: Brotherhood to the SM franchise. Kotono Mitsuishi is already on-board, too.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#5 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:20:46 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I loved SM too from long ago: don't think I'm not excited at this new anime news (Sailor Starlights, yay!).  But from what I understand, it's story finished definitely at the end of the series with little mysteries left - SKU, however, left us with more mysteries to ponder upon post ending, thus is more in need of a sequel (or at least reboot).

OnlyInthislight wrote:

There was very little left unsaid  in SKU, by comparison, that would warrant it a reboot.

According to the SKU Privacy files (thread here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=2944), a LOT was left out of the show due to various reasons (censorship, timing):
1) Touga's rape, which gave him the alienated self that made him "stronger than TV Saionji"
2) Mrs. Ohtori's poisoning her husband for Akio, along with Akio/Mr. Ohtori interactions that had been planned out, but got cut

(The below issues are not from the Privacy files, but still need addressing)
3) "present" Tokiko's appearance at the Planetarium (to bed Akio, or fight him?) just one ep before Mikage got graduated - relevance?
4) Ruka post Juri duel - dead or alive?
5) Shadow Girls saying "not like it matters" 1-2 months after Utena's disappearance, what did the post revolution duelists think about Utena's disappearance, being that Wakaba remembers Utena even AFTER the swords rushed her?
6) Why was Kanae NOT shown post revolution in ep 39 when even the likes of Yukio and Aiko were?
7) What were the Swords of Hate's effects on post-revolution Utena?
8) And MORE.

I firmly believe that there are a TON of reasons to do an SKU sequel to tie up those loose ends (most of which the movie DID NOT ADDRESS) - or, at the very least, a reboot to address 1- 8 above!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:42:57 AM

Stephen
Rose Bride

I dunno, I've developed so many theories and interpretations for those loose ends, and get a sense that some of those ends were intentionally left loose, that I'd probably not find myself all that satisfied if some of them were wrapped up in a canon manner. It would in a way perhaps, rob me of my self-created interpretation of what I think the story was trying to tell.

Mainly 5 and 7, actually. The sense of unknown there very much ticks my boxes, as a way of highlighting the point that adult life / moving on / change is unfamiliar, is unknown. In a way I suppose, what I like about SKU is that I don't have all the answers by any means, but I definitely have enough to speculate, and feel the series was directed in a way that was supposed to encourage my speculation and my own conclusions.

Kind of like OITL, I do feel very little was left unsaid (that was intended to be said, anyway). Point 1 and 2 are probably the few things, and offer some extra insight into the characters and add to their sense of character, but possibly won't answer much, series-wise.

#7 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:47:18 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

My long comatose Moonie just woke up. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#8 | Back to Top07-06-2012 11:23:24 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Sailor Moon is iconic. So much so that you can find things in mainstream culture. Utena is not, and has never been, mainstream. It is a cult classic anime, if you get my drift. To expect a continuation of something that most people have never heard of is rather ... ludicrous. Let the Sailor Moon fans have their time without being bitter that Utena fans can't.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#9 | Back to Top07-06-2012 11:58:33 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Utena is not, and has never been, mainstream.

Yes . . . that's certainly the main reason why it had never been continued post movie.  You nailed it, Aine Silveria.

There seems to be some misconception going around that I'm somehow bitterly against Sailor Moon having an anime reboot when I am not: like I said upthread, I did love Sailor Moon when I was young; I'm happy for their fans for finally getting their fix even 2 decades later - no bitterness on this point whatsoever.

It's simply that my personal desire for an SKU continuation now flared at the news that even SM has been resurrected, despite it being a much earlier series than SKU.  That, and with Ai No Kusabi (talk about non maninstream) also getting a reboot/expansion in recent years, it just made the SKU franchise seem all the more under-appreciated in spite of its non-commercial artistry . . . or is the non-commercial artistry that got it under-appreciated in the first place (do I even need to ask)?

#10 | Back to Top07-06-2012 12:36:15 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Thoughts and feelings on Ikuhara coming back to direct the Sailor Moon reboot?

Also, I now realize that's what all of this has been about: the 2003 reprinted manga being released, the sudden influx of SM merchandise at Hot Topic, the worldwide licensing (except the US) of the original anime. They were getting us ready for THIS.

#11 | Back to Top07-06-2012 12:45:39 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Ikuhara coming back to direct the Sailor Moon reboot?

Wait . . .  has it been confirmed that Ikuhara will be involved this time around?

#12 | Back to Top07-06-2012 01:37:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Ikuhara coming back to direct the Sailor Moon reboot?

Wait . . .  has it been confirmed that Ikuhara will be involved this time around?

We don't know yet, but I kind of want to know what everyone's thoughts are before we find out who exactly is going to direct.

For all we know, they may asked Junichi Sato to come back, or whoever the hell did Stars. OR they may get someone new altogether.

#13 | Back to Top07-06-2012 01:42:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Ikuhara would bring the surrealistic visual clues to the series ala Penguindruim; that, and he would make the yuri angst flourish beautifully.

#14 | Back to Top07-06-2012 02:25:25 PM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

Woohoo! etc-love

I remember last year I was working at Barnes & Noble, and remember them releasing the manga with better translating and packaging. I figured they'd probably touch up on the anime too.
I'm hoping for Ikuhara too, because the best season for me hands down is S. I did love the Stars season too, but that's mainly because it wasn't edited. Also, the ending was left pretty open for Sailor Moon as opposed to Utena.
As said, Sailor Moon is much more famous and accessible than Utena. Also, Sailor Moon is by far more marketable. I noticed the merchandise influx too, as Raven Nightshade pointed out.

I wish they did something for anime like they do for film with the Criterion Collection.

Last edited by Varla (07-06-2012 02:29:25 PM)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/mekei_004/anime%20and%20cartoons%20and%20whatever%20004/saiLor%20moon%20004/penuranus.gif
The World's a Mess, it's in my Kiss

#15 | Back to Top07-06-2012 04:06:15 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Sailor Moon is by far more marketable

Oh, the show is designed to be marketable: the school girl sailor suits turned short and sexy (going further than Ohtori's girl uniforms, and definitely "hotter" than the unrevealing student council female uniform . . . Anthy looking like a bespectacled old maid through 3 quarters of the show did not help rein in the average male fans), the cutesy attack phases and poses that male otakus can easily sexualize (as opposed to the sexually charged yet subtle, thought-requiring pre-duel stock footages), Tuxedo Mask serving as the idealized Prince that all girl otakus want to believe exists (as opposed to SKU's disillusioning Akio too often found in real life (in less hot packagings)) . . . etc, etc.

#16 | Back to Top07-06-2012 05:08:51 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Sailor Moon is by far more marketable

Oh, the show is designed to be marketable: the school girl sailor suits turned short and sexy (going further than Ohtori's girl uniforms, and definitely "hotter" than the unrevealing student council female uniform . . . Anthy looking like a bespectacled old maid through 3 quarters of the show did not help rein in the average male fans), the cutesy attack phases and poses that male otakus can easily sexualize (as opposed to the sexually charged yet subtle, thought-requiring pre-duel stock footages), Tuxedo Mask serving as the idealized Prince that all girl otakus want to believe exists (as opposed to SKU's disillusioning Akio too often found in real life (in less hot packagings)) . . . etc, etc.

That's... kind of a cynical view of Sailor Moon's marketability. The senshi wear those uniforms so that the young girls in the target audience can relate to them (since they wear the same kind of thing), and so they can feel empowered through them and want to buy cosplay items and whatnot. The creators were gearing far more towards that than the creepy fanboys drawing even creepier doujinshi.

Anyway, I like the news that this new series is set to have a worldwide simulcast. I'm guessing they'll do that through Crunchyroll or a similar streaming site? However they do it, I appreciate them making it accessible for as many fans as they can.

As for wanting a new SKU in light of this... as much as I'd personally like a "Rebuild of SKU" or something like that, I frankly can't see it ever happening - especially since Utena's seiyuu passed away last year. emot-frown

#17 | Back to Top07-06-2012 05:28:16 PM

Calamity
High Tripper

I found out the news earlier from Tumblr and pretty much squealed with joy. emot-biggrin

In honor of this I'm really going to have to sit down and get the whole Japanese version of the original series (I've been saying that for far too many years, haha)!

#18 | Back to Top07-06-2012 05:42:54 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

MikoGalatea wrotie:

creepy fanboys drawing even creepier doujinshi

Oh, I'm not being cynical in my first statement.  Trust me when I tell you that creepy fanboys are the overwhelming majority in almost every top-money-making anime known to the west - especially the one that got a Rebuilt; too little sexpot fanservice to fanboys (or worse, having gaypot that scares away fanboys ala Akio/Touga) will hurt any anime's popularity, no matter how intelligent its plot.

young girls in the target audience can relate to them (since they wear the same kind of thing

It takes a brave real life anime watching young girl to wear anything remotely similar to the senshi skirt away from an anime convention, especially in a country where many nasty middle aged men will outright gawk at any skirt that's cut over  2 inches higher than the kneecap.

Of course there's also lot of female-directed-marketing to draw female fans in SM, like idealized romance, dreamy men with little dark sides, loyal girlhood friendships with little backstabbing and/or pettiness,  and so much more.  The show is a big success since its marketing appeals to both boys and girls.

as I'd personally like a "Rebuild of SKU" or something like that, I frankly can't see it ever happening - especially since Utena's seiyuu passed away last year. emot-frown

I love that seiyuu so much . . . but if the powers that be really want to do it, they'd still be able to find a capable replacement seiyuu.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (07-06-2012 06:26:23 PM)

#19 | Back to Top07-06-2012 07:13:27 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

gorgeousshutin wrote:

I loved SM too from long ago: don't think I'm not excited at this new anime news (Sailor Starlights, yay!).  But from what I understand, it's story finished definitely at the end of the series with little mysteries left - SKU, however, left us with more mysteries to ponder upon post ending, thus is more in need of a sequel (or at least reboot).

I hope that's just for the hopefulness that their manga versions will be intact, because I know for a fact they were in the original anime to begin with.

@ MikoGalatea: I've heard that they're hoping for a worldwide release; I'd figure that they'd go for broadcasting on TV rather than internet streaming so it'd make the reboot more accessible to viewers.

gorgeousshutin wrote:

.... the school girl sailor suits turned short and sexy (going further than Ohtori's girl uniforms, and definitely "hotter" than the unrevealing student council female uniform . . . Anthy looking like a bespectacled old maid through 3 quarters of the show did not help rein in the average male fans)....

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking, but I'm up for a small debate.

I wouldn't consider their uniforms to be made sexy for any reason, seeing as how it's more practical than the actual seifuku they were designed after; to be fairly honest, I'd rather the short skirt than an ankle-length-or-longer skirt to whoop ass in. In the case of the Ohtori uniforms, those weren't designed for anything other than to be a school uniform instead of a reason to draw in viewers.

Also, male viewers are not solely attracted on seeing girls in sexy skirts to enjoy an anime. There are some guys out there that actually enjoy the storyline of an anime before even thinking about how sexy a female character is.

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#20 | Back to Top07-06-2012 07:30:16 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Anthy looking like a bespectacled old maid through 3 quarters of the show did not help rein in the average male fans

Is it weird that I always thought Anthy was beautiful? emot-gonk

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#21 | Back to Top07-06-2012 07:42:51 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Saito Hoshikawa wrote:

There are some guys out there that actually enjoy the storyline of an anime before even thinking about how sexy a female character is.

But Saito-san, are those guys in the majority?

I know I'm in this aforementioned group; I'm annoyed by shows that use empty sex and/or unrealistic romance to draw audiences, and am willing to accept male/male scenes when it suits the story's plot.  Why else would I love SKU (which grosses out all my male acquaintances) to begin with?

But I know I'm in the minority as far as male anime fans go - that being in every public anime showing I go to, the guys all go whoo-hoo when the senshis transform, or ooohed the girls do those pop-idol gestures ala in the name of the name of the moon - and have since accepted it as how the majority of male fans react to the series.  Eventually, I ended up watching a lot of eps on my home computer.

The marketing people who put in the suits - while combining that with the cutesy idol gestures (that have little to do with combat effectivenesss) - knows that this will a) attract fanboys b) resonate with fangirls who wanna feel cute themselves, and uses these as part of SM's selling points.

Now of COURSE SM has a plot (I'm talking about the eng sub original japanese version here), especially by way of the later seasons.  But I wouldn't say plot alone is the reason behind its overwhelming success.

Honorable Shadow wrote:

Is it weird that I always thought Anthy was beautiful? emot-gonk

Don't despair, you simply got Saionji eyes, that's all emot-wink

But seriously, when I started watching SKU, everyone from my female friends to my guy friends to my mom all bitched endlessly about Anthy's appearance . . . up till the final arc, and they were like, well anything can happen in 2D.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (07-06-2012 07:55:50 PM)

#22 | Back to Top07-06-2012 08:43:55 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Saito Hoshikawa wrote:

There are some guys out there that actually enjoy the storyline of an anime before even thinking about how sexy a female character is.

But Saito-san, are those guys in the majority?

I know I'm in this aforementioned group; I'm annoyed by shows that use empty sex and/or unrealistic romance to draw audiences, and am willing to accept male/male scenes when it suits the story's plot.  Why else would I love SKU (which grosses out all my male acquaintances) to begin with?

But I know I'm in the minority as far as male anime fans go - that being in every public anime showing I go to, the guys all go whoo-hoo when the senshis transform, or ooohed the girls do those pop-idol gestures ala in the name of the name of the moon - and have since accepted it as how the majority of male fans react to the series.  Eventually, I ended up watching a lot of eps on my home computer.

The marketing people who put in the suits - while combining that with the cutesy idol gestures (that have little to do with combat effectivenesss) - knows that this will a) attract fanboys b) resonate with fangirls who wanna feel cute themselves, and uses these as part of SM's selling points.

Now of COURSE SM has a plot (I'm talking about the eng sub original japanese version here), especially by way of the later seasons.  But I wouldn't say plot alone is the reason behind its overwhelming success.

Regardless of being majority or not, the sexy factor of the outfit is not the main reason for popularity in male viewers. SM combines the concept of a magical girl series with that of the Super Sentai series; it combines a mostly feminine concept with a more masculine concept, so to speak, in order to appeal to both audiences with respective ideas seen in both concepts. And that it did; both boys and girls could sit down and enjoy watching SM without feeling left out because there wasn't enough fighting or romance or whatever. That's partially what made it so popular at the time. (The other part being the fact that the Internet came out around the time of the English dub's airing, so that there was a way to talk about the series and dub differences, increasing the amount of coverage overall that the series was getting.)

Now while more "open-minded" male fans are indeed in the minority, I'd think that initially, that wasn't the case. SM became such a pop-culture icon that you could pretty much talk to anyone that followed most TV trends in the 90s and find out that they knew something about the series. (Again, internet was a part in this, more than likely.) Her "In the name of the Moon" phrase and pose? Little girls loved to quote and mimic that shit for years. This eventually led to, in later years, the sexualization/fetishizing of the short-skirted sailor uniform that now attracts more than enough male fans than there are female fans.

The plot's also a drawing factor. Just as I said that the show's a combination of magical girl/Super Sentai concepts, the plot itself makes use of those concepts and blends them together into a balanced storyline. The Sailor Soldiers have to defend Earth from whatever comes their way, while managing a social and school life plus any romance that comes their way when they're not in battle. Granted, the dub does pull some logic drops and some things may not make sense (how two female cousins can be so damn close and not be romantically linked is beyond me), but at the same time, it manages to do just as the original did in terms of plot as a whole.

#23 | Back to Top07-06-2012 09:14:19 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Now while more "open-minded" male fans are indeed in the minority, I'd think that initially, that wasn't the case. SM became such a pop-culture icon that you could pretty much talk to anyone that followed most TV trends in the 90s and find out that they knew something about the series. (Again, internet was a part in this, more than likely.) Her "In the name of the Moon" phrase and pose? Little girls loved to quote and mimic that shit for years. This eventually led to, in later years, the sexualization/fetishizing of the short-skirted sailor uniform that now attracts more than enough male fans than there are female fans.

If you say so, Saito-san; I have the misfortune to be meet with leers whenever I tried talking to other males (online and in person) about SM, so I guess I just got sacked with the worst of the Asian male anime viewers back in the day; the way how short-skirted school uniform hostess bars (where bar girls dress as schoolgirls to frolic with patrons) were all the rage in Japan back in the mid-nineties did not help either.

#24 | Back to Top07-06-2012 09:45:43 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

gorgeousshutin wrote:

If you say so, Saito-san; I have the misfortune to be meet with leers whenever I tried talking to other males (online and in person) about SM, so I guess I just got sacked with the worst of the Asian male anime viewers back in the day; the way how short-skirted school uniform hostess bars (where bar girls dress as schoolgirls to frolic with patrons) were all the rage in Japan back in the mid-nineties did not help either.

Well, what do you expect? SM was mostly a shojo property, as was intended in the manga's case, so the idea of being met with leers from most other men for liking SM is not too farfetched.

At the same time, in terms of when the short-skirt uniform was essentially made sexual, there are somewhat differences between the West and East, as it seems you've pointed out. It wasn't until recently that such a uniform like a schoolgirl uniform reached that level of sexualization/attractiveness to men here in the States, yet as you've said, that kind of uniform was popular and already at something of an equal level in Japan, if I'm understanding correctly.

Either way, the view seems to be different depending on your location, as some countries have different outlooks on what is considered "sexy" or "attractive", in terms of what's in an anime.

#25 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:06:14 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Well, what do you expect? SM was mostly a shojo property, as was intended in the manga's case, so the idea of being met with leers from most other men for liking SM is not too farfetched.

But they all have VCR tapes (oh, the nostalgia) of SM, along with the toys/models, only for fetish purposes; that, and they talk endlessly about girlfriend types the different senshis represent; like, where I'm from, it's considered a fetish anime right off the start, and the other guys all thought I was perving over the series like they were.
Most of the girls I knew back then actually disliked Usagi, since they saw her generic clumsy exclamation leading to rescue by Tuxedo Mask battles throughout the earlier seasons as being pathetic, saying that real life girls should face their own problems/battles instead of relying on men/stronger friends.

It wasn't until recently that such a uniform like a schoolgirl uniform reached that level of sexualization/attractiveness to men here in the States

But wasn't Britney Spears already using the mini-skirt schoolgirl look in her MV back when she was young (was it the late nineties)?

And for your info, mine's an asian area closely following Jap culture.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (07-06-2012 10:18:32 PM)

Board footer