This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-19-2008 06:58:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: The reason Saionji is a dick.

Yasha wrote:

one would expect to see a more traditional, less... err, exuberant.... position for anal sex

Perhaps you could say it's...irrational exuberance? emot-tongue

That Touga's canon bisexual, and enjoys the sex he has with Akio, IMO makes it somehow worse. He can't write Akio off entirely as a miserable thing he absolutely has to force himself to give into and/or communicate with. No matter how much he hates Akio, no matter how aware he is that Akio's not going to give him what he wants, he's gotta at least admit the sex is good.

Which sounds like a lot of relationships, except in this case neither of them of deluded about it.

As for Saionji, I would definitely say any sexual interest he has in Touga is a mixed bag. On one hand, how could he not want to literally stick it to Touga after all these years? On the other, Saionji's so starved for intimacy and closeness, that I could see him wanting to sleep with Touga because he'd assume (perhaps more rightly than Touga realizes), that that's the only medium for intimacy that Touga will understand and feel. Saionji would be flexible that way, strange to say of an abusive character like him, but I think he'd be very open to just about any form of intimacy, if only he'd have a consenting partner. emot-frown

As it stands, the poor guy is trying to beat it out of people and failing.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top11-22-2008 10:00:50 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Uh... no, I don't think Saionji and Touga necessarily had any kind of sexual relations, but they were very good friends, and I might be simplifying this too much, but Saionji's character is practically the dictionary definition of "jaded." For a while, I think that Saionji had a lot of trust in Touga in his friend, enough that Touga's repeated poor treatment of Saionji in the series is hardly the first time Saionji's been hurt. Certainly, I think that the Shadow Girls' play about real friendship being a myth typifies what made Saonji the way he is-- he feels he can only trust himself, and I think because of how he's been made to feel, he puts up a facade of being exceptional that he tries to make himself buy.

The sense of entitlement to the Rose Bride? Eh, I dunno if that can be tied to this or not, but all my blabbering is usually only speculation.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#28 | Back to Top11-22-2008 05:29:24 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

We just don't have a lot of canon info on why Sainji is a dick imnsho. Let's review. school-eng101
We know he was best childhood friends with Touga and that they shared a "traumatic coffin experience". We also know that Touga isn't really someone you want as a best friend, what with his manipulation and sexulization (look Ma! new word!) of every situation.
We know that Saionji is, shall we say, bitter and twisted about friendship existing at all. *scratches head and wonders whose fault that could be*
We know that Saionji likes to hit the rose bride. He likes to hit her a lot.
He also seems to be besotted with her.
He also turns into a crazy stalker.
He also has crazy pinpoint eyes-of-crack.
He also has a violent temper.
He also does stupid things, like trying to stab Utena over Anthy, and stabbing Touga instead in a fit of violent temper.
He also likes to flash looks of deep pain/loathing at Touga in key moments, that could be taken as key "why won't you fuck me? bastard!" looks, or "but we were meant to be best friends forever, bastard!" looks.

In the movie (not that it matters so much) he's presented as a raving lunatic (with very hot flowy hair. I love his movie hair). And that's without the justifying childhood-of-pain that movie Touga is suddenly graced with.

So I would say that it's no wonder that fans of Saionji have been working overtime on what exactly could have happened to him in the past to screw him up so roundly. It's interesting that often fans don't feel so bad for slapped-Anthy for instance, instead projecting blame onto her (as is common to do to victims *gasp*. Oh look, she made him slap her. The bitch) and searching for justifications for poor Saionji. Not that I don't agree he really is poor Saionji, I just sometimes wonder what happened to equality of pain and all that. There's no justification for hitting someone, although there may be contributing factors. And of course it brings up the possibility that Saionji himself was physically abused.

But back to canon. Since the anime only gives the information of the betrayal of friendship, the question becomes: is that really enough? Was that all that it took to send Saionji over the edge and make him a physically abusive victor/boyfriend?
Is it more that he had this potential in him (because of his pain), and lashed out when at last he was in a situation of power (victor), and with someone passive aggressive like Anthy who is used to playing the victim role (because of the sexual/physical/emotional abuse she has undergone), so was able to be the "bad" love object that should be punished, that Saionji needed? emot-confused Has anyone followed that extra-long sentence with me? emot-rolleyes

Summary: Saionji is a dick because he used to believe in friendship and his best friend turned out to be his worst enemy. Saionji is an out of control dick who beats on women and loses his temper easily because he had ideals and they crumbled on top of him (like a castle falling out of the sky, imagine that). Saionji is a dick because he wants love of some kind (any kind) that is eternal, and all he gets is tastes of love that are cruelly snatched away. emot-gonk His dick-like behavior is about trying to force that eternal kind of love to be his own.

#29 | Back to Top11-27-2008 04:09:01 AM

Frangipangie
Ohtori Paramouri

What we've missed in the "Why Saionji is a dick" discussion is his behavior towards Wakaba. During the black rose arc, he must know that she likes him, and to be fair he tries to be sweet to her. He makes her the leaf hairpin after all. However, when he is given the opportunity to return to Ohtori, he leaps at it without a second thought. (I hope that's right, I haven't seen the episode in a while.) Sure, he doesn't know the effect giving Mikage the hairpin will have, but it was still a pretty selfish move on his part. If you make someone something as a special gift, its likely that seeing someone else having that same exact gift is going to make that person feel a little crummy, to say the least.
So in short, Saionji is also a inconsiderate dick.emot-mad

"I hope you get reincarnated as an animal everyone likes. Like a lamb...
But not an eating lamb."

#30 | Back to Top11-27-2008 06:43:26 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, regarding the hairpin, I suspect that he actually thought it was lame. It was a hell of a gesture on his part, but my guess is that he considered it a poor substitute for a real gift, something that a child might give. It's just hard for me to imagine that he went from thoughtful guy to big asshole THAT fast...granted, once he was away from Wakaba, he forgot all about her, which is quite dickish, but I think he might have been sincere when he said he would get her something better. Which makes him a context-based dick.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#31 | Back to Top11-28-2008 06:35:03 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Am I the only person herw who really can't stand him? :S or Touga, for that matter....

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#32 | Back to Top11-28-2008 08:21:52 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well, I can join you in the Touga hate, but I'm afraid I have a soft spot for McWiggers. emot-rolleyes

-Truck North

#33 | Back to Top11-28-2008 09:55:18 AM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Miss Bluesky wrote:

Am I the only person herw who really can't stand him? :S or Touga, for that matter....

Actually I think Siaonji is a misogynist and he is not on my list of favorite characters. But I still try to understand his relationships with the others, because relationships are so important to the show.

And yes, poor Wakaba. Those episodes break my heart everytime. It may be true that Saionji feels the clip really is trivial and she would like something better, but even so that just shows how much he doesn't understand her. I think the clip is important to her because its something unique that he made for her with his own hands, and he doesn't bother to get to know her well enough to see how its important to her.

20 threads dead so far.

#34 | Back to Top11-28-2008 05:04:05 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Quite right, Wakaba would probably rather have THAT pin than one made of gold. But Saionjis is not exactly good at understanding people's feelings...

EDIT: whoops

Last edited by Stormcrow (11-28-2008 05:04:25 PM)

-Truck North

#35 | Back to Top12-02-2008 09:57:06 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I think that Saionji's broken friendship with Touga is enough to explain the bulk of his behavior -- toward Anthy, at least.

As several have mentioned, Saionji thought his friendship with Touga would be eternal.  But though they are still outwardly "friends", the friendship itself has warped.  The loyalty and affection have died.  This pulls the rug out from under Saionji in several ways.

Deep down, Saionji thinks the friendship has changed because Touga is better than Saionji is.  That Touga has left Saionji behind and Saionji himself is a witless, immature dupe.  And he's desperately trying to "catch up" to Touga.  Not because he idolizes Touga, but because Saionji had invested himself in his friendship with Touga.  When you're close with someone for a long time, seeing yourself as you look in your friend's eyes becomes a part of the way you perceive yourself.  So although Saionji does see and part of him does despise Touga's faults, Saionji can't shake that fear of looking stupid...    Saionji feels that he looked childish because he panicked in the church, that he looks stupid for believing in "true friends" when no such thing exists, that he looks naive for not being a "cosmopolitan" man-whore like Touga.

Saionji places his hopes and feelings, both negative and positive, on Anthy (whose job is be the receptacle for exactly that behavior).  Saionji does believe in love and friendship and he makes Anthy the target of his affections.  Anthy is also a prize to win to prove that Saionji is better than Touga--and a key to get "something eternal"--which is something Saionji wants because he longs for eternity and because if Saionji gets eternity he (a) proves Touga wrong and (b) one-ups Touga (remember that Saionji thinks Touga showed Utena something eternal).  And at the core of all of these feelings are both Saionji's fear of further rejection and Saionji's fear of looking foolish.

I also think Saionji has a bad temper, but I imagine that at least some of his strikes at Anthy, have panic underneath his anger.  Saionji has put Anthy in Touga's place to some extent, has replaced some of his reliance on Touga and their "eternal friendship" with reliance on Anthy and their "love" and search for eternity.  Every time Saionji begins to grasp the idea that Anthy has fooled him and that there won't be any eternity with her, either... *smack*

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#36 | Back to Top06-11-2009 08:30:36 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Great analysis rhyaniwyn, I love it. emot-wink

Can't agree more!

Board footer