This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-18-2009 01:47:38 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Here it is, my final Utena report...

I wasn't planning on posting a thread, but Itsuke suggested I should. It begins here:

http://www.shoujoai.com/forum/topic_sho … #pid843536

and comprises the subsequent four posts as well.

If you're not a fan of Utena/Anthy, you may want to stay away...far, far away. >_>

Last edited by Aelanie (06-18-2009 01:51:41 AM)

#2 | Back to Top06-18-2009 04:23:40 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Re: Here it is, my final Utena report...

In the section titled IIe. Utena and Anthy - To Bud (or, The Choices of Mistress Anthy), you discuss the famous Cantarella scene in episode 37. I agree with your analysis. I also want to supplement it with a few pictures.

When Anthy replies Utena's promise with Yes, definitely, notice how her hand moves:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/484/1911.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9576/1914m.jpg

It's a slight movement. The shot lasts only a few seconds. However, it is a close up of their intertwined hands. Anthy being a person who seldom reveals her inner thoughts, this shot's main purpose is to show how Anthy is impacted by Utena' words. Aside from understanding each others' feelings, this may be the only time Anthy is presented with the idea of life outside Ohtori. Utena may be the only duelist to ever suggest about a possible future.

#3 | Back to Top06-18-2009 05:43:22 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Wow Aelanie, I really liked this! etc-love poptart etc-love
The thing that spoke to me the most (which is unusual in an analytical piece) is the passion with which you wrote it. You must really love U/A...in the kind of way I very much do myself. emot-redface

I think I recognized it because I've never felt as strongly about a fandom in my life...as driven by it to thought, imagination and creativity.
You did a great job of arguing canon Utena/Anthy, and of summing up what makes the anime a masterpiece.

Also I'm about to rewatch it with the girl I'm dating and I'm scared for similar reasons you mention to preceding your own re-watching experience...scared it won't be as mindblowing...and actually scared of the intense emotions I feel when watching it. Watching it in order...omfg. Plus what if she doesn't fall for this series...and how could anybody not fall for it...

Thanks again for this analysis - it reminds me of a lot of the moments I drooled over in that so-subtle U/A relationship, and has got me thinking deeply about some of your interpretations. etc-love

#4 | Back to Top06-19-2009 12:06:25 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Thanks for your kind words, sharnii. emot-keke

#5 | Back to Top06-23-2009 07:35:52 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Are you Cuddly? If so thank you for making that thread, it was what prompted me to take another look at Utena after ignorantly dismissing it out of hand as... I really can't remember what I thought then. emot-rofl

There were a lot of points in your new report that I felt taken aback by, Utena's pacing was transcendent? Really? But anyway still great, and I definitely agree with the general gist of what you said hehe.

#6 | Back to Top06-24-2009 08:49:32 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Yes I am. It's wonderful to hear that it helped you that way. emot-keke

Yes, I truly do believe that Utena's pacing is amazingly done. I explain some of that in what I wrote. There is a style and timing to the way things unfold that is just magnificent.

Thanks for your kind words. <smile>

Board footer