This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#201 | Back to Top08-12-2011 03:17:29 AM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

o.o

I think the word "revolution" by itself just reminds me of Utena. I saw a Papa Murphy's ad on the counter today, and it said "JOIN THE TAKE N BAKE REVOLUTION!" ...My little sister and I looked at each other and I said "The pizza you must bake has been prepared for you." We added it to our story emot-tongue

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#202 | Back to Top08-14-2011 06:32:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgO-u83Os_I&NR=1

This reminds me of someone.

Who?

etc-saiowank

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#203 | Back to Top08-14-2011 06:58:29 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Bishounen Ronald McDonald... hot.  o_o;

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#204 | Back to Top08-14-2011 07:10:07 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Dognog wrote:

"The pizza you must bake has been prepared for you."

It's.... It's perfect....

#205 | Back to Top08-15-2011 06:32:13 PM

The Revolutionist
New Student

School started recently, and for some reason several things remind me of Utena.

In Latin today, we were translating paragraphs into English with partners. Occasionally words we hadn't learned would come up so we would have to look in the dictionary. It's kinda silly, but one of the words was I think 'pharus' or something like that, and the 'pha' root made me think of the all the times I hear of the 'phallic' imagery in Utena, and Akio's 'phallic' tower. My partner was going to look it up in the dictionary, but I told her that it meant tower. It was actually a lighthouse but still! I thought it was interesting.

And in my US History class I heard the word 'Revolution' about 20 times in 5 minutes, and that reminds me of Utena. emot-dance

#206 | Back to Top08-17-2011 10:05:10 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

Definitely this.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9509/littlethings.jpg

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#207 | Back to Top08-18-2011 10:55:56 PM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Dognog, that line is hilarious.

Anyway, I just moved to Portland, Oregon. This climate is apparently very good for roses, so the city has the nickname "City of Roses." Every other thing outside has a rose on it! Some of the buildings have giant 10-story roses painted on them. The stadium in town is the "Rose Garden." Even the manhole covers and cop cars have roses on them. It's like I'm in some big Ohtori-flavored city . . . well, except for all the homeless. I'm sure Akio wouldn't let them in. Unless they were sexy that is.

I'll have to visit the rose test gardens here too and keep an eye out for Anthy. emot-biggrin

That reminds me, there's someone I sort of work with (same team but in a different city) named Xanthi, pronounced "zanthy." Anthy with a Z! I know, the Japanese pronounce it more like "anshy" but it still sorta works.

Last edited by PrettyPeopleWithSwords (08-18-2011 10:57:08 PM)

#208 | Back to Top08-19-2011 05:59:08 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

PrettyPeopleWithSwords wrote:

Dognog, that line is hilarious.

Anyway, I just moved to Portland, Oregon. This climate is apparently very good for roses, so the city has the nickname "City of Roses." Every other thing outside has a rose on it! Some of the buildings have giant 10-story roses painted on them. The stadium in town is the "Rose Garden." Even the manhole covers and cop cars have roses on them. It's like I'm in some big Ohtori-flavored city . . . well, except for all the homeless. I'm sure Akio wouldn't let them in. Unless they were sexy that is.

I'll have to visit the rose test gardens here too and keep an eye out for Anthy. emot-biggrin

That reminds me, there's someone I sort of work with (same team but in a different city) named Xanthi, pronounced "zanthy." Anthy with a Z! I know, the Japanese pronounce it more like "anshy" but it still sorta works.

I've lived in Springfield my whole life and I never knew that emot-aaa

...Well, it's settled. Now I have to live there!

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#209 | Back to Top08-20-2011 12:23:38 AM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Chrome Homura wrote:

Speaking of Springfield, Matt Groening (creator of the Simpsons) is from Portland and named several characters after some of the streets. There's also little doubt that Springfield, Oregon at least unconsciously influenced the name in the show. Dunno if you are a fan but I thought it was pretty cool!

Now that I've been looking I've been seeing quite a few live rose bushes growing in random gardens too. Of course when I see one I immediately try to figure out which Utena character's color it is. Too bad Miki's and Saionji's rose colors don't actually exist. etc-saiowank

Last edited by PrettyPeopleWithSwords (08-20-2011 12:24:35 AM)

#210 | Back to Top08-20-2011 05:37:18 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

PrettyPeopleWithSwords wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

Speaking of Springfield, Matt Groening (creator of the Simpsons) is from Portland and named several characters after some of the streets. There's also little doubt that Springfield, Oregon at least unconsciously influenced the name in the show. Dunno if you are a fan but I thought it was pretty cool!

Now that I've been looking I've been seeing quite a few live rose bushes growing in random gardens too. Of course when I see one I immediately try to figure out which Utena character's color it is. Too bad Miki's and Saionji's rose colors don't actually exist. etc-saiowank

I'm not really a huge fan, but I followed it for a while when I was younger and I've got a good memory for useless info, so I'm fairly familiar with the setting...

Interesting... I was told that he was actually from Eugene, and that the town in the show is actually based off of the real Springfield itself, which to me isn't all that far-fetched a comparison to make. But then, that's just what my dad and a friend of mine told me, so I could be misinformed...

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#211 | Back to Top08-20-2011 11:58:10 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Shaved ice stands remind me of Anthy and more are popping up here thanks to the record breaking heat wave. We must have passed half a dozen yesterday.

Oh my goodness, I must have that ruler! That's so cool.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#212 | Back to Top08-20-2011 12:08:03 PM

wblstudios
Banned

allegoriest wrote:

Dognog wrote:

"The pizza you must bake has been prepared for you."

It's.... It's perfect....

Go Deep(er) Dish.

#213 | Back to Top08-22-2011 10:02:42 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

wblstudios, I cracked up a little.

I can't watch episode 67 of Monster, "I'm Back," or episode 20 of Utena (with Wakaba and Saionji in the Black Rose Saga) without thinking of the other.  The effect is unsettling, to say the least.

#214 | Back to Top09-01-2011 07:21:58 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Akio and Kanae had twins on the sims o__o They were both girls, and I was trying to think of names to go with the Utena theme...it was taking long...so I ended up naming them Giovanna and Yasha poptart

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#215 | Back to Top09-03-2011 02:28:52 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My birthday cookie had yellow roses on it and I'm pretty sure my friends had no idea why I was giggling about someone named Nanami last night after three drinks.

Dognog wrote:

Akio and Kanae had twins on the sims o__o They were both girls, and I was trying to think of names to go with the Utena theme...it was taking long...so I ended up naming them Giovanna and Yasha poptart

(pretends to be shocked) But only Touga's children should be named after Yasha! Are you trying to break his widdle heart? emot-biggrin

#216 | Back to Top09-03-2011 05:13:43 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Riri-kins wrote:

My birthday cookie had yellow roses on it and I'm pretty sure my friends had no idea why I was giggling about someone named Nanami last night after three drinks.

Dognog wrote:

(pretends to be shocked) But only Touga's children should be named after Yasha! Are you trying to break his widdle heart? emot-biggrin

I thought about that lol.. But I haven't made Touga yet emot-gonk

#217 | Back to Top11-17-2011 06:30:25 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Toe just came home and told me the guy that our dad talked to at the music store was named Mickey...and she saw someone with a pink wig outside the store. I wish I went with them emot-tongue

#218 | Back to Top12-07-2011 05:49:58 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

On Jeopardy! tonight, there was a question about the twins of Gemini. Their names, Castor and Pollux, (for better or worse) I knew because of Akio. Then, another question in a Shakespeare category had to do with Othello. Desdemona was the answer, which I only knew because of reading the analysis of episode 33. Many thanks to SKU and its wonderful fans for making me more trivia savvy! emot-keke

Last edited by Crystalline_Dream (12-07-2011 05:57:59 PM)

#219 | Back to Top12-07-2011 07:29:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

cool

Akio should go on Jeopardy!

Except he'd also misread 'Therapists'....

school-freud

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#220 | Back to Top05-16-2012 08:33:37 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Was reading an analysis on Link's prolonged crises of growing up and mortality when I happened upon this choice paragraph:

"The story of Link’s Awakening is effectively summarized by the metaphor of the Wind Fish’s egg. Life on Koholint is like that of a creature whose life begins inside an egg. The egg incubates the newborn, keeping it safe and comfortable. But the egg is not supposed to last forever. Eventually, the newborn must break the eggshell to enter the world beyond it. Once the shell is broken, the small world inside the egg vanishes forever."

Article: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/i … childhood/

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#221 | Back to Top05-18-2012 11:30:39 AM

wblstudios
Banned

These days, I have to post "Juri Han" when I talk about SSFIV and my obsession with her, instead of just Juri, so I don't confuse her with SKU Juri.

Every time I enter an elevator, I whistle the Zettai Unmei... elevator song.  And when the doors open, I gotta be ready for a fight.

#222 | Back to Top05-18-2012 11:52:04 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Many of the young, rail-lean, androgynous high fashion models, boys and girls both, remind me of Utena and its characters.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#223 | Back to Top05-26-2012 10:59:18 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I was watching Shirokuma Cafe today when suddenly this came up while Panda was imagining his secret admirer...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4mw7jU6XL1r4mp8ko1_1280.jpg

If I had seen that picture without knowing what anime it had come from, I might have thought it was something from Utena!

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#224 | Back to Top05-28-2012 01:03:06 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

emot-aaa It's the lost Shadow Girl!

I was reminded of Juri yesterday when I saw some orange roses.

#225 | Back to Top05-28-2012 02:05:35 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Puffy sleeves.

Board footer