This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-12-2007 02:53:33 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Giovanna and Yasha's Uber-Pretentious Wine & Cheese Tasting Thread

I haven't tried Vampire, but I know people who actually drink the stuff often enough that it can't taste that bad.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top11-12-2007 03:21:29 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED.

The first bottle I had was awful. A few years later I try it again, looking for the awful, and... not there. WHAT THE FUCK. I actually enjoyed that.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top11-12-2007 03:29:26 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That made me crack up. Probably because I've been up for so long.

#29 | Back to Top11-12-2007 03:43:04 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

So go to bed, sweetie. emot-smile

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#30 | Back to Top11-12-2007 04:09:10 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

There are things that must be done. Such as making a list of wines to buy as soon as I can buy them.

#31 | Back to Top11-12-2007 04:19:44 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Then add this to your list for a dessert wine. It is the only dessert wine I like, and it tastes of roses and oranges and just a little of raisins. Words cannot express how fantastic I find it.

#32 | Back to Top11-12-2007 12:47:23 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Yasha wrote:

The first bottle I had was awful. A few years later I try it again, looking for the awful, and... not there. WHAT THE FUCK. I actually enjoyed that.

At least I've had that reaction to a fair deal of alcoholic beverages. They're definately an aquired taste. With wines, I just tend to look at the etiquette and see what it says it's good with. Usually I've taken fairly good choices. 

When I was in Paris and bought some red wine for souvenir, I ofcourse had no idea what the tag was saying, so I just picked an above-middle priced bottle at random and if I hadn't tested it first, I would have tried it with steak dinner - it was incredibly sweet dessert wine meant to be drunk with tarts and mousses, or possibly strawberries with cream. My expression must have been worth a photograph...emot-gonk

As for cheeses, I really don't dig them. Aside from the mildest of varieties, their composition and fragrance tend to remind me of their origins as fermented milk (again, emot-gonk).

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#33 | Back to Top11-12-2007 09:17:19 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yasha wrote:

Then add this to your list for a dessert wine. It is the only dessert wine I like, and it tastes of roses and oranges and just a little of raisins. Words cannot express how fantastic I find it.

Ooh ooh ooh I love muscat! etc-wankdude

#34 | Back to Top11-12-2007 09:52:01 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

11/12/2007

Tsantali Nemea 1997 (Greek varietal called Agiorgitiko) - Translucent with an unusual rusty brown tinge. Stings the nose a little, sweet vinegary, almost a little like chlorine, actually. Sounds unpleasant but it's actually not, it's refreshing in the same way retsina is. The taste is distinctly herbal, with a slight taste of fresh woods, pine or cedar. A bit of tartness. It's surprisingly light given how fragrant it is.

Jackson Triggs Shiraz (ROFLCOPTER CANADIAN WINE) - Dirty scent for a shiraz, with a heavy whiff of bell peppers that intensifies over time and exposure to air. The taste is also peppery, woody, and there's a hint of smoke or wood.

Gio will be posting new wine reviews in the first post, and she should be posting a notification in the thread BUT SHE IS BEING LAZY. emot-mad

#35 | Back to Top11-12-2007 09:53:40 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Descriptions of how wine taste really make little sense to me. I suppose they will make more sense after I have tasted said wines.

#36 | Back to Top11-20-2007 11:59:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Updated first post! emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#37 | Back to Top11-29-2007 01:54:35 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm only seeing this now? Shame on me. It's wonderful.

#38 | Back to Top12-09-2007 02:33:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Updated bitches. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#39 | Back to Top12-09-2007 03:54:03 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Moscato di Asti.

etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

That is all.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#40 | Back to Top01-08-2008 09:21:52 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I must've been thinking of this thread when I went to Whole Foods yesterday.  I picked up a bottle of INO red, a wedge of brie which I plan to bake, and a wedge of something called Irish porter cheddar, which has a pretty dark brown marbled appearance due to the addition of the porter.  The wine is a Greek semi-sweet blend, and only put me back $6.

I'm also always on the look out for Witches Brew, made by Leelanau Wine Cellars.  They're in northern Michigan, so to me they're kinda local, I guess.  As you can tell from the name, it's only offered in the fall, but I was able to find two bottles a couple weeks ago, hiding in the shelves at my favorite wine-and-liquor store.  Another cheap semi-sweet red ($5); I think I see a pattern forming here.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#41 | Back to Top01-08-2008 09:30:48 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I know I'd love to hear how those ones you picked up were, mercurynin. I'd be interested in trying Witches Brew but I doubt I'd be able to get my hands on it here, so I'll have to settle for reading a description online. emot-wink

#42 | Back to Top01-10-2008 12:34:02 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Vampire, anyone?

I've never had Vampire, but I had a bottle of Werewolf that was fabulous.

#43 | Back to Top04-14-2008 12:38:45 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

2/2/08
The 7 Deadly Zins, 2005, Cali
Holy fucking smoke. Seriously, smells like mesquite beef jerky, absolutely incredible. Slight scent of deep deep plum, but really the BBQ smoke reigns here, even in the taste. This is a serious meat wine. I should get more while it's on sale. A+++ would masturbate to again

Believe her. This is good.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#44 | Back to Top04-14-2008 07:59:53 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Lightice wrote:

When I was in Paris and bought some red wine for souvenir, I ofcourse had no idea what the tag was saying, so I just picked an above-middle priced bottle at random and if I hadn't tested it first, I would have tried it with steak dinner - it was incredibly sweet dessert wine meant to be drunk with tarts and mousses, or possibly strawberries with cream. My expression must have been worth a photograph...emot-gonk

this is where being fluent in two languages would be an advantage for me... If I drank wine. I don't think I have the patience or the will to acquire a taste for it. I'll just stick to soft drinks and juice, if it's all the same to you.

But cheese? Mmmmmm cheese. I like danish blue.

#45 | Back to Top04-14-2008 03:50:38 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

MOAR CHEESE AND WINE PLZ OM NOM NOM

Back to Trader Joe's today.  Picked up a hunk of domestic (that is, American) double cream brie and decided to give syrah a shot.  Specifically, a 2005 Mommessin Syrah Vin de Pays d'oc.  At $5, it's another cheapo, but TJ's is good for that.  This is the home of Charles "Three-Buck Chuck" Shaw, remember.  (Speaking of which, I've got a bottle of 2005?6? Cab Sauv hangin' out.)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#46 | Back to Top04-14-2008 11:17:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl Brie! etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

Frankly I SUCK at the wine and cheese thing, if I get a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, and a block of cheese, I don't remotely consider what works with what. I'll eat a brie with a shiraz. OOPS. Unfortunately the cheeses that 'go' with the intense wines I drink are usually a bit stinky for me. Then again I really need to try a nice cheddar with my wine of choice...

BTW there are a few rather nice wine bars in NYC....

#47 | Back to Top04-15-2008 03:35:41 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Oh, people, you need to come see me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/dollwithnoheart/DSC08374.jpg

My brother's house.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/dollwithnoheart/DSC08375.jpg

THERE IS WINE FOR ALL.

...best of all, he didn't pay for it. He works for a company that deals with most of the vineyards in the Central Otago area, which means MMM PEREGRINE (beautiful wine from the Queenstown Lakes District). Funny thing, he doesn't drink wine. I don't usually either, but when you've got that much and it's FREE well what do you do?

...also, he sold me a bottle of a Merlot that retails at eighty bucks for ten, so yeah. We get on all right. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#48 | Back to Top04-15-2008 03:47:43 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Mmm. My great-grandmother [grandpa's mum] makes her own wine. So did my great-grandfather [grandma's dad] before he died. I had [snuck, really] a bottle of G-Grandpa's apricot wine from 1974 [IT'S WAS OLDER THAN MY AUNT HOLY COW] and it was absolutely amazing in taste. It burned on the way down like whiskey but danced on your tongue like tropical fruit. It was very strong, though, and I had my first and only [thus far] blackout and hangover. But with the way it tasted, it was so very very worth it. etc-wankgirl

#49 | Back to Top04-15-2008 04:26:07 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Clarice, baby, you know I'm totally there. I just need $$$$. emot-frown

#50 | Back to Top04-15-2008 10:53:14 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Yasha wrote:

Clarice, baby, you know I'm totally there. I just need $$$$. emot-frown

next sku gathering is at Clarice's!...when we get the $$$$....

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Board footer