This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-03-2007 11:33:25 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

The TRUE lessons of SKU

I thought I'd post a topic where we could come up with generally anal lessons someone could pick up from the show.

For example when watching it, looking at Miki's story, one could pick up that-WOMEN ARE BAD NEWS BROTHER!!! THEY *BEEP* YOU UP SOME SERIOUS *BEEP*

Hell yeah to sexism!!

In fact, Miki's final battle is a great example of this, he's manipulated into fighting the duels by Anthy, loses to Utena and all because of both Kozue in the car and about the only advice Juri can offer him is- "playing the piano suits you better"- like dude, if he didn't play that stupid thing in the first place- he wouldn't be there, she might as well hold he's arm in battle and move it herself. I'm telling you, women, bad news.

DON'T TRUST DARK PEOPLE

Anyone with so much as a tan in this series isn't worth trusting, not even Mamiya, not even Dios not even Anth-well we've established she's bad new already, she IS a woman afterall.

What anal lessons did others pick up?

#2 | Back to Top12-03-2007 11:50:56 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The TRUE lessons of SKU

Dueling with real swords and no safety equipment is safe and fun!

Last edited by satyreyes (12-03-2007 11:51:11 AM)

#3 | Back to Top12-03-2007 12:02:09 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

None of the Ohtori students are likely to learn enough to make it to college.

#4 | Back to Top12-03-2007 12:11:41 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

satyreyes wrote:

Dueling with real swords and no safety equipment is safe and fun!

Oh that reminds me of another message.

With no hard work or skill at all, you can win at everything you do as long as you know enough dark people, and wear frills.

Adrasteia wrote:

School isn't for learning, it's for twisting and churning out as much angst out as possible.

#5 | Back to Top12-03-2007 12:59:20 PM

st0dad
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

There is indeed a massive curling iron somewhere out there.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1797/utenasiglf5.jpg

ChuChu: "Around the world I've traveled, strolling trough dozens of countries and thousands of lands, taking my time to feed my knowledge with the wisdom that folklore and history brings along."

#6 | Back to Top12-03-2007 01:05:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Adrasteia wrote:

If your family is wealthy and you are attractive, you can spend your entire school career wandering the halls and banging girls and you'll still get to college.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top12-03-2007 01:12:14 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Coco Melancholy wrote:

With no hard work or skill at all, you can win at everything you do as long as you know enough dark people

This is what we call 'connections', children.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#8 | Back to Top12-03-2007 01:17:05 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

The only way to win a blonde's heart is to battle animals in front of her.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#9 | Back to Top12-03-2007 01:50:37 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Having ridiculously long hair is not a disadvantage in fights.

When dark-skinned men are put in charge, they automatically seduce all the white women.

There are no such thing as men in Utena. Only very bitchy women with penises.

The only consequences of protection free, indiscriminate sex is some emotional angst.

Thirteen is the ideal age for sexual exploration. (Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common...)

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#10 | Back to Top12-03-2007 02:41:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Once again, Jelli, your sig is oddly appropriate to the thread.  That is definitely a lesson of Utena.  emot-biggrin

People's hair is a window to their soul.

#11 | Back to Top12-03-2007 02:48:18 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Parental involvement/ supervision is non existent besides giving your children money I guess.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#12 | Back to Top12-03-2007 02:50:36 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

School chairmen aren't expected to do any constructive work; plotting and seducing students, on the other hand...
Straight sex and female homosexuality only lead to tragedy, but male homosexuality is just plain recreational fun.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#13 | Back to Top12-03-2007 03:01:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

A man that can cook you dinner is likely to eat you for breakfast. school-eng101

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top12-03-2007 03:18:43 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Thirteen is the ideal age for sexual exploration. (Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common...)

On serious sidenote, I hear this is more than just a cultural thing - the average age of puberty has been falling drastically in the recent decades, although the reason remains unknown, which also means earlier sexual activeness on average.

Apart from two or three exceptions, teachers are invisible outside classes - and not exactly visible in them, either.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top12-03-2007 03:36:51 PM

Jellineck

Yep. The main theory - which I agree with - is that the growth hormones produced in mass marketed meat (i.e. fast food) is causing many girls to get their periods and hit puberty earlier. More of this is happening down in the South where reliance upon fast food meals is more common, and many girls are showing signs of precocious puberty (around age eight). I watch Utena and think, "Wow, Kozue is unrealistic" and then remember there were many of my 8th grade peers as sexually promiscuous. Good article: http://www.alternet.org/environment/46213

This really worries me. We live in a culture that preys more and more upon children in an attempt to create lifelong customers. But it goes beyond that as well. Our standard of beauty becomes increasingly childlike. It's something I've been doing a lot of research on. Maybe I'll post a thread about it one day.

ANYWAY....back to the topic.

Men with white hair are evil.

People don't wear glasses because they need to. Rather, they're a symbol of bondage and enslavement. Or at least I hope. Might somewhat ruin the bittersweet ending if Anthy steps beyond the gate and promptly gets hit by a speeding truck.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#16 | Back to Top12-03-2007 03:43:45 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Sexual attraction to siblings is commonplace. You would probably be a minority at Ohtori if you didn't want to screw your brother.

Lightice, we were actually discussing that exact topic in my psychology class last week.emot-keke Apparently, because people generally eat healthier nowadays, and are more aware of what nutrients your body needs, children's bodies are developing more quickly and reaching puberty at an earlier rate.

#17 | Back to Top12-03-2007 04:42:32 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

"Adults don't care what kids do, as long as they wear special clothes."

I actually started puberty at age nine, became somewhat sexually aware at 10, and started to read very sexually explicit fanfiction at age 11.

#18 | Back to Top12-03-2007 05:26:53 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Getting counseling for things that bother you will lead to being manipulated, used, and having your memory wiped.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#19 | Back to Top12-03-2007 05:34:54 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

It is, in fact, entirely possible to sleep your way to the top.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#20 | Back to Top12-03-2007 07:20:36 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

There is nothing dangerous about driving down an empty road in a convertible and then proceeding to jump over the windshield to pose confidently on the hood of the car.

With passengers.

Who don't take the wheel from you when you jump.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#21 | Back to Top12-03-2007 07:35:18 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

On a related note, cars do not need depressed gas pedals to keep going. All they need is keys.

(Woohoo! Hit the series and the movie on that one.)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#22 | Back to Top12-03-2007 07:43:51 PM

Jellineck

Touga wouldn't take the wheel because he is a wimp. Interestingly enough, did anyone catch that there was a major psychological hint when Touga warned Saionji not to stand up in the sidecar when it was dangerous? He didn't seem to give a crap if Akio slid off and got crushed under the car wheels. HMMMMM...

#23 | Back to Top12-03-2007 08:50:00 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

You'd be surprised of the things women can hide in their cleavage.

#24 | Back to Top12-03-2007 08:54:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Men too. emot-aaa

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#25 | Back to Top12-03-2007 08:58:44 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

That's the part that really frightens me.

Board footer