This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-18-2011 04:12:29 PM

Louchan
Rose Bride

The "what if?" thread

Utena is one of those shows that often has me thinking "what if that would have happened instead?" or "what if that hadn't happened?". So I decided to make a thread about where people can discuss their thoughts about what might have happened had certain characters made other decisions than they did, or had certain situations been different from how they were.

For example, one thing I've wondered about for some time, what would have happened if Utena had chosen Akio over Anthy?

Akio:  Beautiful. Bearing your noble heart all the way here... you are my true princess. Swords no longer suit you. I shall keep this sword. And from this day forward, I will protect you.
Utena:  And what happens then?
Akio:  You'll be happy. You'll receive eternity and we will love each other forever. And the princess will live forever and ever with the prince in the castle.

Akio is obviously just bullshitting Utena here, but what would have been her fate if she had agreed with him? I really have no idea.

Share your thoughts and your own "what if"s! emot-dance

Last edited by Louchan (08-18-2011 04:13:58 PM)

#2 | Back to Top08-18-2011 08:56:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The "what if?" thread

Huh.  That's an interesting question.  I think it's probably safe to guess, though, that Akio knew that Utena wasn't going to back down now.  She wanted to become a prince in the first place in order to protect Anthy; she's not going to abandon her after coming all this way.  Akio's just trying to play on Utena's conflicting emotions to get a psychological edge.  (His offer makes Utena remember the sex, and Anthy's "betrayal," and how guilty and used she herself feels.)  If Utena actually said "okay," I think Akio would be as surprised as anyone.  I expect he'd just run her through with the sword, but that is wild speculation.  Maybe she would become the new Rose Bride.

Who else has thoughts on the bullshit "happily ever after" line?  And while we're at it, what if Utena hadn't shown up to the duel called Revolution at all?

Last edited by satyreyes (08-18-2011 08:57:45 PM)

#3 | Back to Top09-19-2011 06:50:56 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Another one I've been thinking about.

We all know Kozue values Miki's purity very highly, but at the same time she has expressed a desire to "pull him down with her" so to speak. What if she succeeded? What if one day Miki gave in, threw away his purity, and... well, got it on with Kozue. Would she be happy that both of them have fallen? Or would she develop an even more obsessive longing for their past purity?

#4 | Back to Top09-19-2011 11:25:30 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Louchan wrote:

We all know Anthy values Dios's purity very highly, but at the same time she has expressed a desire to "pull him down with her" so to speak. What if she succeeded? What if one day Dios gave in, threw away his purity, and... well, got it on with Anthy. Would she be happy that both of them have fallen? Or would she develop an even more obsessive longing for their past purity?

Fixed.  emot-wink

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2011 01:00:21 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Akio is obviously just bullshitting Utena here, but what would have been her fate if she had agreed with him?

Part of me thinks that she'd get the Swords of Hatred. She is all trussed up as a Rose Bride in that scene.

Edit: I just now realized I forgot to add my own What-If to this thread! emot-aaa

Here's what I wonder, and I have two of 'em, "What if Mikage hadn't given Saionji the get out of jail free card?" (How would things resolve themselves, both between him and Wakaba and in his quest to return to Ohtori, if they hadn't gotten the opportunity to end suddenly the way that they did?) and "What if the Kaoru twins' concert had gone off without a hitch?" (Would Miki even be at Ohtori later? And do you think he would have found out about the boy next door?)

Last edited by Rotten Mooring (10-28-2011 12:49:38 PM)

Board footer