This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-14-2010 06:04:10 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

Re: Sex in SKU

I think it's also entirely possible that Anthy slept with Juri, if Juri ever won her in the pre-Utena duels.

#27 | Back to Top02-14-2010 07:30:12 PM

oldboy
Miki Molester

minervana wrote:

The characters who don't have sex with anyone are emotionally fucked with like woah. Granted, everybody is in this series. But compare Kozue to her brother. Or Ruka to Juri. Or Tokiko to Mikage. Or Saionji to Touga. Who suffers more, the virgin or the...? I mean, disregarding the cheesy rhyme I just invented.

The series points out that different people mature at different rates. Miki is 13 or 14 but he's just hit puberty; his sister, in contrast, is already sexually active. Utena is 14 but she seems almost unaware that her sexuality exists, which is why Touga can play her like a sousaphone in the first arc, and why she so forcefully rejects him in the second and third arcs.

In contrast, Akio, who is a psychopath, uses sex to get whatever he wants. I always liked the scene between Mrs. Ohtori and Akio, because it gives you some insight into the true nature of power and privilege at Ohtori. One word from Mrs. Ohtori and Akio would be out on his ass (Anthy's magic notwithstanding), but she doesn't do it, and he rubs this in her face, driving her deeper into shame and guilt. This is all discussed on Gio's website, including the point that Mrs. Ohtori and Akio are sort of the adult, "fallen" version of the princess-prince relationship. Kind of like Mrs. Robinson in the Graduate ("I guess you kind of gave up on art over the years, then, huh?" "...Kind of.")

On a related note:

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/9402-1/Series_ep23_057.jpg

This shot is based on a famous painting by Manet, which itself might be based on Venus of Urbino by Titian. Manet's painting is called "Olympia" but it really shows a prostitute in repose; the flowers are presumably from some client or other. However, the symbols of prostitution are absent, and Nemuro is clothed. (The background is similar to the original though) We never get any explicit, or even implicit, idea that Mikage and "Mamiya" are sleeping together, or that Mikage has ever slept with anyone. Is he then a prostitute for Akio's goals?

#28 | Back to Top02-15-2010 08:47:17 AM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

The characters who don't have sex with anyone are emotionally fucked with like woah. Granted, everybody is in this series. But compare Kozue to her brother. Or Ruka to Juri. Or Tokiko to Mikage. Or Saionji to Touga. Who suffers more, the virgin or the...? I mean, disregarding the cheesy rhyme I just invented.

I never got the sense that Ruka or Kozue were any less fucked-up than Juri or Miki.  I just think Juri and Miki were highlighted more in the series, and thus, we got to see their nuttiness more frequently.  I'm not sure the series is implying a positive correlation between sex and emotional maturity (or a negative one between abstinence and sanity).

I agree with everything else, though.  I think it would be pretty easy for Anthy to make sure she wouldn't have to have sex with (almost) anyone she didn't want to.

#29 | Back to Top02-15-2010 06:13:51 PM

Carrie Asagiri
Saionji Slapper
Website

Nights1stStar wrote:

Apparently, RGU during its original airing was marketed as a kid's show and had to follow the regulations of its time slot. Thus, I find it hilarious that a series which doesn't use the word "sex" once (or "making love", or even "sleeping together", or any of the other common euphemisms) happens to be the most sexily intelligent show I've ever seen. Implication runs rampant in nearly every episode, yet few of the scenes feel like pandering fanservice. Hat's off to you, Ikuhara. If I could write as well as you...

I'm totally agree with you. I took my hat off to Ikuhara when I finished episode 33. He managed to show us the moment in which a 14 year old teenage girl is loosing her virginity to an adult and if someone innocent like a child or someone whom doesn't know what's going on, watch that very scene wont see anything strange mainly because Utena is talking about food (with some double take of course) and because that scene doesn't show anything but at the same is the most explicit one in the whole series.
My best friend is watching Utena now and her 4 years old son watch it with her. He doesn't understand the dialogues since they are in japanese with subs in english, but he can recognize the characters. When I was seeing some screenshots from the series, the little guy saw Saionji and he told "the green boy is a bad boy because he slap the girl" and when he saw Touga, he said "the red boy is good and the yellow girl love him so much". So for the kids the visual factor would be the important thing and all the subtles and double takes would be missed. I've see this kind of thing from another director, Koichi Mashimo who made Noir, Madlax and Phantom. Even when the last two ones were more explicit with certain scenes there was other things that play with the inuendo factor. And in Noir it was almost all the time.

Now returning to the main thread (I can be like chuchu and ran away on the trees emot-gonk) I'm agree with most part of the chart but I don't think that Miki and Kozue share THAT kind of relationship. I can bet  they were  jelaousy with eath other and very possesive. Kozue in the manga version doesn't allow any girl to approach to her brother but I don't think they were in the same league than Anthy and Akio. And about Juri and the nameless guy, I don't know. It's possible, maybe Juri isn't just plain lesbian and she tends to be more bi. Maybe the only girl who really shake her world was Shiori. We didn't see Juri being behind other girls, she didn't intend to approach to Utena in that way.

Last edited by Carrie Asagiri (02-15-2010 06:15:33 PM)

#30 | Back to Top02-15-2010 07:14:17 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Carrie Asagiri wrote:

Now returning to the main thread (I can be like chuchu and ran away on the trees emot-gonk) I'm agree with most part of the chart but I don't think that Miki and Kozue share THAT kind of relationship. I can bet  they were  jelaousy with eath other and very possesive. Kozue in the manga version doesn't allow any girl to approach to her brother but I don't think they were in the same league than Anthy and Akio. And about Juri and the nameless guy, I don't know. It's possible, maybe Juri isn't just plain lesbian and she tends to be more bi. Maybe the only girl who really shake her world was Shiori. We didn't see Juri being behind other girls, she didn't intend to approach to Utena in that way.

Let me say for a sec, that I agree wholeheartedly with what was said earlier about how Ikuhara is a genius and can do so much without getting very explicit at all. WHY HAS THIS MAN NOT MADE ANYTHING ELSE?!

And I think so few people consider that Juri could be bi. Juri is so firmly THE LESBIAN in so many people's minds that I kind of wonder what show they're watching; assuming a very fixed sexual identity just doesn't work very well with this show. Shiori is just THE ONE she's obsessed over, and its just that it's our first real big shock of the show messing with our expectations. If we found out much later, it would be more like, "Oh, Juri sometimes likes her own gender too, whatev." If we found out later, after we've seen Touga and Akio macking on anything that moves, I think less people would assume she only likes girls. Sure, she doesn't like Ruka, but she could just, you know, not like <i>him</i>. Sure, she flirts with Utena near the end, but she also does the same with Miki. There's not a lot you can say either way. Bi is a purely agnostic position, and this is one of the few series where is just seems damn likely.

I have a personal bias that EVERYONE in the series is basically bi, for lack of a better term(mostly because there's a moment when I throw up my hands and realize Ikuhara is totally not going by typical sexual constructs). It just sort of makes everything much easier to think that Ikuhara was going for everyone being able to love anyone, if only their neuroses didn't get in the way.

The only thing that really makes me think that the full-on lesbian thing might be a possibility is the relatively laid-back relationship she and Touga have pre-revolution. Sure, they're not going out buying shoes together, but WTF, <i> TOUGA</i> knows about your secret that no one must know?! And you're fine with that?! And Touga's more or less being relatively honest around her(as honest as he can be at this point), when in the presence of literally any other woman he would immediately put on the casanova act? It seems like he knows that it would be wasted effort, so they have a pretty good working relationship. Of course, that could technically be true if he knew she had eyes for Shiori and only Shiori forever and ever, but I have a harder time believing with Touga's ego that not once he wouldn't have thought that he could break that spell with his magic cock.

Hat Mafia Member

#31 | Back to Top02-17-2010 07:05:38 AM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

I have a personal bias that EVERYONE in the series is basically bi

Ditto.

Then again it's my default viewing of everyone in every show emot-biggrin

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#32 | Back to Top02-17-2010 12:31:32 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Frau Eva wrote:

Funny you should say that, because TV Tropes uses the trope "Everyone Is Bi" to describe the sexuality of the SKU cast.

It also uses Love Dodecahedron to describe everybody's relationships, but let's not go there right now. emot-gonk

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#33 | Back to Top02-17-2010 05:57:18 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I actually find it very likely that something happened between Miki and Kozue.  For me, her obsession with him just isn't normal (but we're talking SKU here so wtf does "normal" even mean).  It seems to me that the garden they used to play in has a special significance to the both of them, perhaps even in a positive light for one and a negative light for the other, but it's hard to tell who's for which.  Kozue seems to me to be the one to have wanted and to have enjoyed whatever experimentation they might have had and Miki, the moral one, once he realized what they were doing was wrong, cut it off completely and Kozue got mad.  That's my interpretation.

And about the whole bi thing, yeah, I definitely agree, everyone's basically bi, even if they lean more towards one way or another.  But that kind of assumption's hard to make for people like Miki who has only been with maybe Anthy and maybe his sister.

#34 | Back to Top02-17-2010 06:25:15 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

winksniper wrote:

I actually find it very likely that something happened between Miki and Kozue.  For me, her obsession with him just isn't normal (but we're talking SKU here so wtf does "normal" even mean).  It seems to me that the garden they used to play in has a special significance to the both of them, perhaps even in a positive light for one and a negative light for the other, but it's hard to tell who's for which.  Kozue seems to me to be the one to have wanted and to have enjoyed whatever experimentation they might have had and Miki, the moral one, once he realized what they were doing was wrong, cut it off completely and Kozue got mad.  That's my interpretation.

I agree.  I don't think it's entirely unheard-of for siblings to talk with each other or experiment in regards to their sexuality, especially if they're close.  (Though for most, it probably never goes beyond a peck on the lips or peeking at each other in the bath.)  Being twins, Miki and Kozue likely developed at a similar rate and were together so often that such a situation doesn't seem unlikely.  Also, even though Miki is obsessed with "regaining" a relationship with his sister that he's idealized in his mind over time, he also seems to have intentionally distanced himself from Kozue during the series.  I think it's very possible that Kozue initiated something that Miki remains very ashamed of.  It may have been just a one-time thing, or maybe it went on for awhile until Miki matured a little and began to realize it was inappropriate.  He still cares about Kozue, but being around her reminds him of what happened and makes him feel "dirty," so he avoids her.

#35 | Back to Top02-17-2010 06:45:26 PM

Cannella
New Student
Website

oldboy wrote:

On a related note:

This shot is based on a famous painting by Manet, which itself might be based on Venus of Urbino by Titian. Manet's painting is called "Olympia" but it really shows a prostitute in repose; the flowers are presumably from some client or other. However, the symbols of prostitution are absent, and Nemuro is clothed. (The background is similar to the original though) We never get any explicit, or even implicit, idea that Mikage and "Mamiya" are sleeping together, or that Mikage has ever slept with anyone. Is he then a prostitute for Akio's goals?

omg, this is such an revealing and awsome information o:
I love this kind of references ~ (L

#36 | Back to Top02-17-2010 07:34:47 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

crystalwren wrote:

I don't think "outing" Juri would have any real effect. It's not exactly a secret that she's not into guys. Juri has fangirls––not really fanboys. Plus, isn't everybody in Ohtori bi?

No one is openly bi or even openly gay. Observe Touga whoring it up with Akio, yet having the barefaced nerve to upbraid Nanami during their unfortunate conversation in the egg episode. Also, a large part of Juri agonising over Shori comes from the fact that both shes are she. And while my understanding of Japanese culture is very poor, the high school fanclub thing seems to be a fairly common depiction in anime that doesn't necessarily have anything to with homosexuality.

Also, being outed while still struggling with one's sexuality is a pretty awful experience regardless of environment.

I'm not sure if that came from Touga-as-Ohtori student so much as Touga-as-a-kid-from-a-politically-correct-family.
Ohtori seems fairly liberal, but I imagine their family is not.

#37 | Back to Top02-17-2010 08:49:39 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Frau Eva wrote:

It is a bit sad when the straightest character in the show appears to be Miki. The poor effeminate bastard. emot-gonk

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#38 | Back to Top02-17-2010 09:05:07 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I made a similar chart like this, except it was a "relationship chart" and I find it horribly amusing that Utena's in the center of the relationship chart yet at the very fringes of the sex chart.

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

Frau Eva wrote:

It is a bit sad when the straightest character in the show appears to be Miki. The poor effeminate bastard. emot-gonk

I thought Tatsuya was the straightest. Heck, I thought Tatsuya was straight.

#39 | Back to Top02-18-2010 07:12:57 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Oh, Tatsuya...I always manage to forget he exists. Every time I watch the Onion Prince episode, I have to face-palm and, "What in the...oh. That's right. It's Tatsuya."

But I always laugh at him when Mikage kicks him out of Nemuro Hall. Always...

Last edited by KillerxXxQueen (02-18-2010 07:18:36 AM)

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#40 | Back to Top02-18-2010 08:25:40 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

But I always laugh at him when Mikage kicks him out of Nemuro Hall. Always...

Same.  He's like "You're an actual nice guy and a good person...GTFO.  No one wants you." me thinking: These things are true.

If there is anyone who is plain hetero, I agree it would be Mr. Onion Prince.

#41 | Back to Top02-18-2010 09:39:24 AM

Carrie Asagiri
Saionji Slapper
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Let me say for a sec, that I agree wholeheartedly with what was said earlier about how Ikuhara is a genius and can do so much without getting very explicit at all. WHY HAS THIS MAN NOT MADE ANYTHING ELSE?!

Yeah I wonder the same thing about this guy XD. But a possible reply beyond the fact that he moved to the U.S., would be that he wouldn't find a right place in the current anime industry. I mean things changed a lot since the 90's and now not only the industry is aiming to other things but the people whom watch anime too. And with this I'm not saying that this is a possitive thing. Now is very hard to find jewels like the ones made in the 90's.

Frau Eva wrote:

And I think so few people consider that Juri could be bi. Juri is so firmly THE LESBIAN in so many people's minds that I kind of wonder what show they're watching; assuming a very fixed sexual identity just doesn't work very well with this show. Shiori is just THE ONE she's obsessed over, and its just that it's our first real big shock of the show messing with our expectations. If we found out much later, it would be more like, "Oh, Juri sometimes likes her own gender too, whatev." If we found out later, after we've seen Touga and Akio macking on anything that moves, I think less people would assume she only likes girls. Sure, she doesn't like Ruka, but she could just, you know, not like <i>him</i>. Sure, she flirts with Utena near the end, but she also does the same with Miki. There's not a lot you can say either way. Bi is a purely agnostic position, and this is one of the few series where is just seems damn likely.

Totally agree with you. Juri is one of the few characters from the show that I really respect and in some point admire (besides Utena of course). She reminds me to myself and I know how much she have been suffering from Shiori. Sometimes I don't get the meaning of putting labels con characters about the sexuality when being obsessed or maybe in love with someone of the same gender doesn't imply to be just lesbian or gay. Love and obsessions (most of the time could be together and be confused with each other) tends to go beyond the mere labels. Obviously isn't something easy to confess. I think that Juri was safe in her place with some people seeing her as a lesbian or other ones seeing her like someone creepy, because that assure her to be alone with her obsession.

Frau Eva wrote:

I have a personal bias that EVERYONE in the series is basically bi, for lack of a better term(mostly because there's a moment when I throw up my hands and realize Ikuhara is totally not going by typical sexual constructs). It just sort of makes everything much easier to think that Ikuhara was going for everyone being able to love anyone, if only their neuroses didn't get in the way.

Well, Ikuhara was showing the sexuality in a moment of our lives that is adolescence. That moment is just to experience and to construct the sexual identity we'll have as adults. We are dealing here with guys whom are between 13 and 17 years old. They were living at a schools were the adults were mere shadows and the parents seems to be nonexistant, so they have the freedom to choose to love whoever they want, except like you say their neuroses were more big than their love XD.

winksniper wrote:

I like your point and is very possible. Coming from Kozue, there isn't anything to be surprised. I just didn't buy the idea of the twins being lovers like any other couple in the show. But what you say makes more sense.

#42 | Back to Top04-11-2010 02:09:31 AM

oldboy
Miki Molester

Hey,

I also made a chart, about who had sex with whom.

This is based only on what we see onscreen. That's why Akio and Mrs. Ohtori are in the "heavily implied" category: we don't see them rolling around on a bed, but it's pretty obvious what they were going to do.

The "tension/hints/subtext" category is/was a bit amorphous, I'm not sure if I did the best job with it. I meant it to indicate that there was some symbolic innuendo going on, without any implications that they've done it. Which makes sense when I say it in my head.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/3248222/img/3248222.png

Any additions, revisions, questions, comments are welcome.

#43 | Back to Top04-11-2010 02:23:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Akio's definitely the brightest star in the galaxy.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#44 | Back to Top04-11-2010 11:06:27 AM

Carrie Asagiri
Saionji Slapper
Website

Akio is like Rome, all the roads lead to him XD

Last edited by Carrie Asagiri (04-11-2010 11:11:40 AM)

#45 | Back to Top04-12-2010 11:15:24 PM

minervana
High Tripper

You need to add some "tension" lines between a few characters, namely Saionji and Wakaba (they were sleeping in the same room, for goodness' sakes!), and maybe Mikage and the original Mamiya. And maybe an "it's possible" line between Nanami and Touga.

What are the tension/hints/subtext between Anthy (as Mamiya) and Mikage? I have to rewatch that part of the series, I'm just curious.

I reiterate my point that Akio is involved in every explicit or heavily implicit sex scene, save the one between Touga and Kozue. All roads really do lead to him, or at least to a part of his anatomy.

#46 | Back to Top04-12-2010 11:20:04 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Your chart is awesome. I love it emot-biggrin haha...

I bet we could all make our own adaptations to it though.

Although, i don't think you're allowed into Ohtori without effing Akio. I'm just saying.. its like pre-req material.

#47 | Back to Top04-13-2010 12:51:04 AM

minervana
High Tripper

KissFromARose wrote:

Although, i don't think you're allowed into Ohtori without effing Akio. I'm just saying.. its like pre-req material.

More like a graduation requirement.

#48 | Back to Top04-13-2010 05:39:51 AM

Carrie Asagiri
Saionji Slapper
Website

minervana wrote:

What are the tension/hints/subtext between Anthy (as Mamiya) and Mikage? I have to rewatch that part of the series, I'm just curious.

Well, as long as we don't know Mamiya is actually Anthy, was pretty obvious Mikage and "him" were involve in some kind of relationship. The most yaoi one in my opinion, if we keep in mind that Anthy was transformed into Mamiya or something like that xD.

#49 | Back to Top04-21-2010 12:34:01 PM

ShiroiBara
New Student

I love the idea with Utena and The Graduate!etc-love

I hereby apologize for all the mistakes I made in my post.

#50 | Back to Top04-28-2010 08:29:23 AM

minervana
High Tripper

oldboy wrote:

On a related note:

In "Olympia," one of the symbols of prostitution is a black cat.

Kind of like this one:

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/8994-1/Series_ep22_071.jpg

Board footer