This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-16-2007 12:31:49 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Re: The SKU Symbolism Game

General Discussions is probably Wakaba. She's not in on anything and is completely random.

The SKU section would have to be.... hm. Perhaps the projector? I'm not sure on that one.

Roleplaying is probably Anthy. Because she's good with masks and the like. emot-keke

IFD........ well. That's not necessarily Akio, because not all of what's in there is sexing.... some of it is more violent or angry, so .... maybe Kozue?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#27 | Back to Top07-16-2007 12:38:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

IFD is both of them, since with their scenes, the viewer literally catches them in flagrante. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top07-16-2007 01:30:21 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

General Discussions - I think about Miki. There are lots of "serious" and "mature" topics there, and Miki of all the Student Council would be interested in it.

SKU - Wakaba. She's an official Utena stalker, and otaku at Ohtori, so... why not?

Roleplaying must be Akio. RPG's are little worlds made by people for their own amusement, just like Akio manipulates the life at Ohtori (a true Dungeon Master!).. however Mikage in some way also would fit in.. as an imaginary living body emot-tongue

And finally IFD - Juri. Why? Because her affection of Shiori wouldn't be easily accepted outside the Academy, just like our discussions from that forum wouldn't be considered "normal" by some people emot-biggrin

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#29 | Back to Top07-16-2007 05:08:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Matching forums to characters seems a little off, somehow, so instead I'll match forums to locations.

The key feature of IFD is that it welcomes you when none of the other forums will.  Sex, anger, vulnerability -- you can feel comfortable in IFD.  There is virtually nowhere like that in Utena.  People rarely let down their guard.  The only three systematic exceptions are Mikage's elevator, Akio's planetarium, and Akio's car.  The elevator is too negative an image for our mostly lighthearted IFD, and the planetarium connotes taboos and secrecies that IFD rejects, so I'd have to say that IFD is the Akio car.

The roleplaying forum is for make-believe; you can wear anyone's face but your own.  It's also unpopular.  It has to be the Kashira Theater.*

The SKU forum is for talking shop.  It's a place of arcane mystery, fraught with symbolism and jargon incomprehensible to the uninitiated.  It seems appropriate to assign it a similarly mysterious location from Utena: the Student Council loft.

General Discussion is like a cocktail lounge for mostly-innocent chit-chat.  There are no cocktail lounges in Utena (well, not for that kind of cocktail), but the quad serves a similar purpose.  Friends get together there, or bump into each other, and have lunch while shooting the breeze.  GD is the Ohtori quad.

* Fittingly, I stole this name from the Faceless Masses thread on the RP forum.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-16-2007 05:15:45 PM)

#30 | Back to Top07-16-2007 10:28:02 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I know it's a little late (that wasn't very long you know, Raz!) but my computer is definitely like Juri. Why?

Because she's a QUITTER.emot-mad

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#31 | Back to Top07-16-2007 10:51:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Also chiming in with late computer analogies.

My old computer was Nemuro Memorial Hall, because it caught fire and broke down. emot-redface

But it made way for a newer, better, shinier computer, which I unofficially dubbed 'The Computer Where Eternity Dwells' upon purchase.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#32 | Back to Top07-16-2007 11:35:24 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

*sigh* Now I just miss eating my toast with a nice spread of Utena... sweet and fresh when it's still unopened and untouched, but once you take off the lid and break her in, you just have to finish her off ASAP. Kind of a pity to have to finish her off, but it was really sweet when you're at it.

Last edited by Hiraku (07-16-2007 11:36:56 PM)

#33 | Back to Top07-17-2007 10:28:58 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Computer... humdidumdidum...

I think that it symbolises both Mikage's intellegence and the fact that he has forgotten about the TRUE past and mechanically marches forward to his goal.

Wow.  That was pretty insightful for me.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#34 | Back to Top07-17-2007 10:42:19 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Stormcrow wrote:

(that wasn't very long you know, Raz!)

I wanted to post a new one every day, but maybe that is a bit too soon.

#35 | Back to Top07-18-2007 06:15:22 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Matching forums to characters seems a little off, somehow, so instead I'll match forums to locations.

The key feature of IFD is that it welcomes you when none of the other forums will.  Sex, anger, vulnerability -- you can feel comfortable in IFD.  There is virtually nowhere like that in Utena.  People rarely let down their guard.  The only three systematic exceptions are Mikage's elevator, Akio's planetarium, and Akio's car.  The elevator is too negative an image for our mostly lighthearted IFD, and the planetarium connotes taboos and secrecies that IFD rejects, so I'd have to say that IFD is the Akio car.

The roleplaying forum is for make-believe; you can wear anyone's face but your own.  It's also unpopular.  It has to be the Kashira Theater.*

The SKU forum is for talking shop.  It's a place of arcane mystery, fraught with symbolism and jargon incomprehensible to the uninitiated.  It seems appropriate to assign it a similarly mysterious location from Utena: the Student Council loft.

General Discussion is like a cocktail lounge for mostly-innocent chit-chat.  There are no cocktail lounges in Utena (well, not for that kind of cocktail), but the quad serves a similar purpose.  Friends get together there, or bump into each other, and have lunch while shooting the breeze.  GD is the Ohtori quad.

* Fittingly, I stole this name from the Faceless Masses thread on the RP forum.

I really like these. They're so fitting. And now I'll forever think of the IRG forums as those parts of Ohtori. emot-biggrin

I still don't know what my laptop is. emot-frown

#36 | Back to Top07-23-2007 07:33:14 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I completely, 100% forgot about this thread. o_o

Next up on the symbolism will be... The ocean.

One person's views on the ocean may be different from another's. To some people, the ocean is a fun place where you go with your family. It can be a happy place to be. On the other hand, the ocean can be very wild, unpredictable, and dangerous. The ocean can be linked to corruption, due to pirates, and because the ocean is an ungoverned an lawless place. Some people make a living off of the ocean, others meet their death.

#37 | Back to Top07-23-2007 07:53:25 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I believe the ocean is Kozue.
It's blue, it's deep, everyone plays in it, but you never know what nasty little creatures you'll find deep inside. Perhaps some crabs? emot-keke

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#38 | Back to Top07-23-2007 08:07:11 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I also believed it was Kozue, but because I get wet when I'm in it. school-devil

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#39 | Back to Top07-23-2007 08:23:04 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Kozue is who I had in mind for the ocean, as well. My views on the ocean is something that I've asked myself before, especially the stuff about corruption. Originally, I was wondering about that because of something it said in Miki and Kozue's duel song.

dollface wrote:

I also believed it was Kozue, but because I get wet when I'm in it. school-devil

I think that I mentioned that for my friend and I, regular water symbolizes Shiori. All summer, whenever we're swimming together in a pool or a lake, we always joke around about it by saying , "I'm in Shiori!" or, "Shiori makes me wet!" Jokes like that are what the Symbolism Game is really all about. emot-keke

#40 | Back to Top07-23-2007 09:09:15 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Anthy is the ocean. Calm and placid on the surface, it's as old as the earth, inconceivably deep and filled with deadly pointy things. It also keeps octopuses around and likes animals in general. Even though the surface is often peaceful and unassuming, it can unexpectedly sweep you under and crush the life out of you. It grows a ton of multi-coloured plantlife and its tides are controlled by the Moon.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#41 | Back to Top07-23-2007 09:44:35 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The Ocean is Touga.

Because he smells like fish.

-Truck North

#42 | Back to Top07-23-2007 09:46:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

The Ocean is Touga.

Because he smells like fish.

Don't be silly, he's a shark that swims in the ocean that smells like fish, and if he stays in one place too long, he'll drown, choking to death on the very scent he loves most.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#43 | Back to Top07-23-2007 10:22:52 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

The ocean represents Akio's sex life, why else do you think its so damn salty? etc-wankdudeschool-eng101

#44 | Back to Top07-23-2007 11:07:36 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Tamago wrote:

The ocean represents Akio's sex life, why else do you think its so damn salty? etc-wankdudeschool-eng101

I would've thought the ocean represents Mikage and Mamiya as they exist yet they don't... They are, after all, existence without existence...
Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai...

(Reference to J.A. Seazer's "Death by Oceanic Moon Indigo")

But hey, your interpretation explains the taste...
But hm... if it's to represent Mikage, it can represent the tear that he shed in the confession room...

Last edited by Hiraku (07-23-2007 11:08:21 PM)

#45 | Back to Top07-23-2007 11:18:10 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Hiraku wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I would've thought the ocean represents Mikage and Mamiya as they exist yet they don't... They are, after all, existence without existence...
Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai, Shinai sonzai...

I was thinking of that song while I was thinking of the ocean, too. The mention of the moon also makes me think of Kozue, because she is symbolized by the moon during the series, and the moon is what creates the waves in the ocean.

#46 | Back to Top07-23-2007 11:21:50 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Razara wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I was thinking of that song while I was thinking of the ocean, too. The mention of the moon also makes me think of Kozue, because she is symbolized by the moon during the series, and the moon is what creates the waves in the ocean.

Your interpretation would very well link to Tamago's... the salty goodness of Akio and the rest of Kozue's male-harem

#47 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:42:43 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Your interpretation would very well link to Tamago's... the salty goodness of Akio and the rest of Kozue's male-harem

If I was to pick the ocean to represent this, I would not choose an ocean but the Dead Sea, now that salt content is HIGH!

#48 | Back to Top07-24-2007 04:14:12 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Razara wrote:

The mention of the moon also makes me think of Kozue, because she is symbolized by the moon during the series,

wat

#49 | Back to Top07-24-2007 09:04:17 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Archambeau wrote:

Razara wrote:

The mention of the moon also makes me think of Kozue, because she is symbolized by the moon during the series,

wat

"It's not something you normally think about, and it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but from time to time, you look up at it, and it makes you feel better." Actually, it might be more accurate to say that it describes sibling relationships. Either way, I think she can be related to the moon in more than one way. It's hard to ignore the similarities between Miki and Apollo, and Kozue and Artemis. Artemis is the Goddess of the moon.

#50 | Back to Top07-24-2007 09:16:25 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Razara wrote:

Archambeau wrote:

Razara wrote:

wat

"It's not something you normally think about, and it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but from time to time, you look up at it, and it makes you feel better." Actually, it might be more accurate to say that it describes sibling relationships. Either way, I think she can be related to the moon in more than one way. It's hard to ignore the similarities between Miki and Apollo, and Kozue and Artemis. Artemis is the Goddess of the moon.

Except that Artemis is a virgin goddess, whereas Kozue is...something else.school-devil

-Truck North

Board footer