This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:00:07 PM

Dross
Mikage Mistruster

Nerdy question about names

Ok, I could be completely off on this, and I know about 3 words in Japanese, so I have a question.

Akio's name is derived from the Japanese word for Venus (whatever that is), which is a play on words because Venus = the morning star = Lucifer.

And Akio's name literally translates to Bright Boy.

Right?

And Minako is also derived from Venus. But not the planet, the goddess. More like Aphrodite.

And her name literally translates into Bright Girl.

Right?

I'm so confused about all this! I know it's dorky, but what is right here? X3 Or am I completely off on everything? School me! school-eng101

#2 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:07:05 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Nerdy question about names

It's a matter of either direct translation (okay), meaningful translation (best) or shoddy translation (Engrish). I prefer meaningful translations. I'll even give a SKU example!

Saionji is almost never referred to in the series by his first name, Kyouichi. This is a Kendo tradition that surnames are more honourable...or something like that. Anyways, a direct or idiot basic translation of "Kyouichi" is "Pod One," which isn't all that appealing.

But if you ask someone who's skilled at translating Japanese properly (and ask them nicely, too), they'll say that "Kyouichi" translates more accurately to "the outer shell protecting the seed from harm." So basically it's a matter of semantics, in my book.

Both "Bringer of Light/Son of the Morning" and "Bright Boy" are valid translations for Akio's name. It just depends on which one YOU want to use when explaining it to somebody.

(If I got any of this wrong, somebody hit me with a face hugger.)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#3 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:12:59 PM

Dross
Mikage Mistruster

Ooooh love the symbolic name knowledge! Thank you!

So... Akio's name mean's bringer of light/son of morning, because the name is based off light connotations and not planetary connotations? And has nothing to do with Venus the planet?

Or am I missing the point? emot-frown

What about Minako?

Last edited by Dross (10-27-2007 08:15:38 PM)

#4 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:20:44 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Dross wrote:

Ooooh love the symbolic name knowledge! Thank you!

So... Akio's name mean's bringer of light/son of morning, because the name is based off light connotations and not planetary connotations? And has nothing to do with Venus the planet?

Or am I missing the point? emot-frown

What about Minako?

Minako is definitely about Venus. I'm not sure how exactly the whole name works out, but the first syllable of her first name means beauty, which corresponds with the first syllable of her surname, Ai, Love. Love and Beauty. I think that's what Takeuchi-sensei wanted to convey.

Ikuni-sensei definitely wants to convey the idea of "Lucifer" or "Bringer of Light" for Akio, on the surface anyways. But, he can be about love, too. Of course, in a very... "impure" direction.
Might wanna ask someone who has taken proper Japanese lessons.

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:35:33 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Aki means dawn. Venus is the "Dawn Star" because it's the only planet still visible at sunrise.

Minako is supposedly a different phonetic reading of Venus. Mi, which means beauty(among other things), can also be read as Bi. Na has no real meaning, and Ko can also be read as Su.

Therefore Mi-na-ko = Bi-na-su. Venus.

But keep in mind that the overall connotation is still different in both cases. Akio's as Venus the planet/star, and Minako as Venus the goddess.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#6 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:38:48 PM

Dross
Mikage Mistruster

Oooooh, ok, I get it now!

Thanks so much for the school-eng101 ing X3

#7 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:47:53 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

OK, I am veering slightly off-topic by referring to Sailor Moon, but one thing I have noticed with my extremely limited grasp of the Japanese language is that most of the girls' names seem to make phrases that correspond to their characters when spoken.

Extremely roughly, based on speaking and not writing:
Tsukino Usagi = Tsuki no Usagi = Rabbit of the Moon
Mizuno Ami = Mizu no Ami = [Ami - don't know this one] of Water
Kino Makoto = Ki no Makoto = Wisdom of Trees
Hino Rei = Hi no Rei = Fire of the Soul [or something to that effect]
Aino Minako = Ai no Minako = Love of Everyone

...and so on.  I always thought that was kind of cool.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-27-2007 09:05:12 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#8 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:50:37 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

OK, I am veering slightly off-topic by referring to Sailor Moon, but one thing I have noticed with my extremely limited grasp of the Japanese language is that most of the girls' names seem to make phrases that correspond to their characters.

Tsukino Usagi = Tsuki no Usagi = Rabbit of the Moon
Mizuno Ami = Mizu no Ami = [Ami - don't know this one] of Water
Kino Makoto = Ki no Makoto = Wisdom of Trees

...and so on.  I always thought that was kind of cool.

Not quite right. The "no" kanji in their last names is actually the kanji for field.  For it to be "of" it would need to be hiragana "no."

#9 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:53:26 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Cerise wrote:

Not quite right. The "no" kanji in their last names is actually the kanji for field.  For it to be "of" it would need to be hiragana "no."

True as far as writing it would be concerned... I was thinking mainly in terms of speaking them.  They'd sound the same even if a different character was used, wouldn't they?

I could always toss the names written in Japanese into a translator and see what that came up with, too. emot-wink

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-27-2007 08:56:57 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#10 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:56:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah.  Takeuchi, or Ikuhara, or both, had a lot of fun with the names of the senshi.  Sometimes it's Japanese puns, like Minako = Binasu = Venus.  Sometimes it's more literal readings; most of the senshi have surnames denoting ideas related to their element.  (Mizuno is "of the water," Kino is "of wood," and Tsukino Usagi is "rabbit in the moon" -- more or less.)

My favorite, though -- just because I figured it out myself, but still -- is Princess Serenity's name.  There's no distinction in Japanese between R and L sounds, so Serenity = Selenity.  Selene was the Greek goddess of the moon.

EDIT: Bad Bug beat me to "Mizuno," "Kino," and so on emot-smile  The "no" kanji isn't right, hence "more or less," but say "tsukino usagi" to a Japanese person and they'll hear "rabbit in the moon."

Last edited by satyreyes (10-27-2007 08:57:36 PM)

#11 | Back to Top10-27-2007 08:59:21 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Cerise wrote:

True as far as writing it would be concerned... I was thinking mainly in terms of speaking them.  They'd sound the same even if a different character was used, wouldn't they?

I could always toss the names written in Japanese into a translator and see what that came up with, too. emot-wink

As an audible play on words, yes, it's right, but the actual reading it is still literally translated as Moon Field Rabbit, Love Field Beautiful Child, etc.  I thought you were thinking that the "no" was actually the possessive "no," my apologies.

#12 | Back to Top10-27-2007 09:03:44 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Cerise wrote:

As an audible play on words, yes, it's right, but the actual reading it is still literally translated as Moon Field Rabbit, Love Field Beautiful Child, etc.  I thought you were thinking that the "no" was actually the possessive "no," my apologies.

No worries. emot-smile  Since I was thinking in terms of speaking but forgot to mention that when I first wrote that post, it's easy to see how you may have thought that I thought that the "no" was written as the possessive character.  I knew they were written differently, but the audible pun is what I was going after. emot-smile

#13 | Back to Top10-27-2007 09:04:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Now how many of you noticed that "nana" in Nanami's name is the kanji for the number 7?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer