This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-13-2006 06:01:35 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Re: [OOC] Ohtori RP: Does it work?

Yeah, I think that'd be the best way to do things no matter what. We should let people pick their characters and say what they'd be willing/not willing (I expect this group to be mature enough for that not to get hairy oemot-smile to have done to them and let things float as they go. I wouldn't choose gender/background/whatever for our characters mostly 'cos that's not our job to do. We should just outline who's going to be needed (i.e. Councle Members, Rose Bride, Revolutionary, Akio, Mikage-like character)

And I -really- think the people playing Akio/Mikage should be us since a lot of their job is manipulating the other characters and I think it'd be a more clever way for the GMs to be present in the story other than "okay this happens now"

Last edited by Hinotori (12-13-2006 06:02:26 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#52 | Back to Top12-13-2006 06:23:15 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Hinotori wrote:

And I -really- think the people playing Akio/Mikage should be us since a lot of their job is manipulating the other characters and I think it'd be a more clever way for the GMs to be present in the story other than "okay this happens now"

That probably is a good idea... although I really want to play a Student Council member (ok, I'll admit it - I was already brainstorming a character >_<;;; ), too - would that be controlling too many major characters, though? emot-frown Although, maybe it wouldn't since Mikage-type only shows up for one arc, and Akio wouldn't necessarily be around in the time between his choosing a new Rose Bride and the end of the Black 'Tulip' stuff (I say Black Tulip here, as I think the earlier recommendation that we use tulips instead of roses is a good one). I think Akio should probably go back into the background for a while once he's chosen the new Rose Bride, at least until near the end of Mikage-type's fun and games.

If getting a separate section of the forum goes through, I'm going to post what positions need to be filled and then let people volunteer for positions and come up with their characters.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#53 | Back to Top12-13-2006 06:45:29 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Assuming Akio uses a similar MO as in the series, he wouldn't be present in the first arc (after selecting a Rose Bride) aside from the letters he sends.

Incidentally, Touga is almost entirely absent for the Black Rose arc which is the only time Mikage is active. So it shouldn't be hard for a GM to have a regular character in addition to a Manipulator type role if they want to.

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-13-2006 09:52:18 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#54 | Back to Top12-13-2006 08:27:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Anyway, I'm going to request that perhaps a separate section of the forum be created, specifically for the RP and things related to it; additionally, if it is alright that a separate section be made, I would request that this thread be moved to it.

I'll have to consult with Gio on that, but I'm not opposed to it at first thought. The only thing is that I'm not sure if Roleplaying would take up enough space to warrant another forum... I dunno. Like I said, I'll have to talk to her about it. Also, if one gets made, for sure this is going there.

Edit: say what I mean, not what I think emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#55 | Back to Top12-14-2006 09:16:33 AM

A Day Without Me

Yasha wrote:

A Day Without Me wrote:

Anyway, I'm going to request that perhaps a separate section of the forum be created, specifically for the RP and things related to it; additionally, if it is alright that a separate section be made, I would request that this thread be moved to it.

I'll have to consult with Gio on that, but I'm not opposed to it at first thought. The only thing is that I'm not sure if Roleplaying would take up enough space to warrant another forum... I dunno.

Yeah, I just figure it'd be easier to navigate that way, as opposed to having a few different threads about the RP farting around in this portion of the forum with all the other Utena-related stuff that isn't IFD material.

And, Hinotori, drop me a PM - I'd like to discuss directly with you stuff like storyline and whatnot (haha, woulda PM'd that, except I don't check mine often so I kind of assume other people don't either ^^;;;)

#56 | Back to Top12-15-2006 12:18:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I've talked to Gio, and we'll be creating a roleplaying forum sometime this weekend. This will not be a strictly SKU roleplaying forum, as I know some of you also play other games, and I'll work up a specific ruleset for the roleplaying forum.

That said, I want some suggestions for a format we can agree on for threads. I was thinking that we should use tags to indicate what kind of game we're playing, such as

[SKU, BESM] In which Akio finds a new Rose Bride

or a format where each game is given a specific name, and the threads are locations, like

[Akio's New Rose Bride] The Seitokai Balcony

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, questions, comments? I want to agree on organization first, so that I can write it into the rules. It'll be easier to navigate if everyone follows one setup.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#57 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:20:22 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yasha wrote:

To be honest, I would say that picking the Rose Bride before we even make characters is premature. If I was running this, which I am not so feel free to do whatever you choose with my words, I would leave the Rose Bride almost completely open. See how well the played characters respond to Akio's manipulations, how well they respond to Akio himself, and choose one of them BUT if none of the characters present themselves as good candidates, secretly have one or two of the NPC's ready to take the spot instead. Someone's emotional tie to one of the NPC's/minor characters would provide good fodder for the next storyline if that NPC is the Rose Bride.

I think it'd be really cool not to know who would get the spot, however, it does present plotting problems for the GMs.

I really like this idea.  yasha, you rock!  I might just have to play now when it all gets started.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#58 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:29:04 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

angelicreation wrote:

I really like this idea.  yasha, you rock!  I might just have to play now when it all gets started.

*grins* Baby, you know you want to play with me. school-devil

#59 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:29:05 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I love it when people in charge agree with me. D: (BTW: A Day Without Me, Sent PM a while ago)

I'm only half the team so I can't speak entirely, but I think as soon as we decide whether or not to use a gaming system, what gaming system that is if I have my way we'll be able to take character outlines/ideas. I'd like to do that before we have anything set in stone largely so we know what group we have to work with.

EDIT: OHANDONEMORETHING. In the meantime we're still open for ideas. I think I've been quiet on my end a lot because I'm currently trying to parse this together in a way that'll be fun and allow a lot of wiggle room, and still be comfortable for all involved.

Last edited by Hinotori (12-15-2006 01:32:08 PM)

#60 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:36:11 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yasha wrote:

*grins* Baby, you know you want to play with me. school-devil

Only if you like it rough. emot-biggrin  I don't play nice.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#61 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:51:10 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Not that I'm trying to cash in on the cool-Yasha-ideas™ market; would it also work to leave the student council members open as well as the Rose Bride position? The council is pretty malleable in the series anyway, so nothing would have to be set in stone, but would it be better for the council to exist before the game or instead to come into being early on? If someone had a character they wanted on the council they could play themselves there, rather than put it as part of their character description before things start.

Though it could make things too complicated or confusing at the get-go.

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-15-2006 02:00:41 PM)

#62 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:58:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Not to say that it can or can't be done, but a potential downside is that it slows the game down in the beginning. We would have to have another storyline going from the beginning to be able to play out the choosing of the Seitokai as well as the Rose Bride.

A potential upside is that it gives players incentive to work toward, a goal to fulfill that doesn't just get handed to them.

#63 | Back to Top12-15-2006 02:39:57 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

A Day Without Me wrote:

Ok, Yasha made a suggestion to me. To quote her:

Why not have the focus _be_ Akio's search for a new Rose Bride?

Seriously, Akio's going to be pissed after Anthy leaves-- he's going to get a Rose Bride by any means he can, and there's more ways to skin a cat (or stab a Rose Bride with a million swords) than just catching them young. Akio could get the chance to manipulate events and people-- including side characters and players-- in a lot more direct fashion than he does for the first and second arc. Could be a lot more freeform, and no one would have the same expectations they'd have from something that follows the series closely.

Dammit, I love this idea. But then, it's just a suggestion-- take it only if you like it.

Now, I like the idea of having Akio going to the sister school in search of a new Rose Bride, although I think that shouldn't be the end-all to be-all - just the first arc in the storyline. I think its a really interesting idea, personally - like he assembles the student council partially to get a new Rose Bride, and then to find a person to revolutionize the world.

However, a problem does arise from this - how do we decide which student council member becomes to Rose Bride? Surely if someone has invested energy in creating a character to be a student council member they won't want to have them become to Rose Bride, and then, therefore, give up control of their character to Akio and whomever is the Engaged at any given time. Unless we decide who it'll be to begin with who ends up being transformed into the Rose Bride, and the person playing them perhaps controls another character so the losing of the control of their character (i.e. the Rose Bride) isn't a problem.

I would also suggest that the student council forgets that the person who becomes the Rose Bride was ever a member of the council to begin with, and any contact they had with Akio. And the Utena-type should arrive on the scene of the dueling after the new Rose Bride is designated (Utena-type can be on campus and not involved in the dueling yet). The student council wouldn't be dueling until after the Rose Bride is designated.

EDIT: Would anyone be up for designing student uniforms? emot-biggrin? I'd love you for a million years?

Dear god. Plz nooooo.

Sorry. My GM self just stabbed me in the brain. The game I modded a while ago had a line like that and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to deal with. Of course, that could just be the incest added in on the side, but I'm not sure.

I see a lot of you love the idea though, so I think I might just go back to lurking and making my own game a reality.

>>;;;;;;;

Dammit, now I want to bring Kizu-chan back. She's the Rose Bride/Seitokaichou from my game. Someone, tell me no.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#64 | Back to Top12-15-2006 02:45:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

What made it a pain in the ass, if you don't mind my asking? If it's hard to run, it'd be nice to know before we get all excited about it.

#65 | Back to Top12-15-2006 02:57:43 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Oh god, this remember me the MMORPG via browser that I was making ;_;

EDIT: Screen here
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9232/untitled1gv9.th.jpg  http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/9377/immaginekx2.th.jpg

Last edited by Sey (12-15-2006 03:02:03 PM)

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#66 | Back to Top12-15-2006 03:21:50 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Yasha wrote:

What made it a pain in the ass, if you don't mind my asking? If it's hard to run, it'd be nice to know before we get all excited about it.

Really, I think it's the fact mine was set after the fact... the Rose Bride was already in existence, and through some unrememberable reason, the Bride reverted to her former state as the missing Seitokaichou (since then replaced). But I also had a few immature types on my game that made my life as a mod a continual hell, and protested every move I made as a moderator. I guess the duelist-changed-into-Bride situation brings bad memories, and also, this is a permanent opinion of mine, no duelist-type is really going to be suited to be a Bride. Can you imagine someone like Juri or Utena as a Bride? I've seen well-written fanfics that try to make Utena the Bride (or Nanami) and I just can't imagine those strong personalities being able to take being a Bride. They pull it off fairly well, but it breaks every bit of my suspension of disbelief.

Having a plain non-duelist character (ref: Wakaba?) become a Bride would be far easier for the mods, and the player, so I would believe, than a duelist-character.

Side suggestion for you: If Akio is moving to Amsterdam, he'd have to start the whole game over, yes? So start the game with NO duelists, NO crazily powerful Seitokai, NO Bride, absolutely NOTHING. Normal, everyday (or not so everyday) characters that through interactions and seductions gain the chance to become what Ohtori was. THAT would be a lovely game full of intrigue and complexities.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#67 | Back to Top12-15-2006 04:44:46 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

You actually hit on exactly what I was considering.

And as mentioned in the PM you guys didn't see (hahahaha. This is the problem with me and PMs. I end up spouting the ideas back out in public anyway) I think it might be a halfway interesting idea to create a different ritual for the Rose Bride to be chosen under the guise of something else other than the student council, possibly an in-school club or something. That way anyone who's interested in one thing but not another won't have to worry.

Last edited by Hinotori (12-15-2006 04:45:36 PM)

#68 | Back to Top12-15-2006 05:14:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hinotori wrote:

I think it might be a halfway interesting idea to create a different ritual for the Rose Bride to be chosen under the guise of something else other than the student council, possibly an in-school club or something.

An anime club.

Sorry, I totally had to say that.

#69 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:06:05 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

Side suggestion for you: If Akio is moving to Amsterdam, he'd have to start the whole game over, yes? So start the game with NO duelists, NO crazily powerful Seitokai, NO Bride, absolutely NOTHING. Normal, everyday (or not so everyday) characters that through interactions and seductions gain the chance to become what Ohtori was. THAT would be a lovely game full of intrigue and complexities.

Yeah, that's what I was kinda-sorta suggesting/thinking of. The problem I see with it simply being that it may be too confusing to coordinate everyone into forming the desired council and all that good stuff. And if things go on a long time without getting to the point where SKU started it could end up not feeling enough like the series to identify with it. (Not necessarily a bad thing either, but not the logical goal.)

If we can avoid the pitfalls I think it'd be a neatoriffic thing to do.

Just another thing I want to mention is there could be a student council but not the Student Council. Something to stand as the basis for what is to come, but something far more like a normal school, which would be consumed in the fires of Akio's manipulations and reborn as the sort of council we see in the series. (Had to do with the Phoenix metaphor!)

Just my two cents, of course.

#70 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:21:02 PM

A Day Without Me

Yasha wrote:

I've talked to Gio, and we'll be creating a roleplaying forum sometime this weekend. This will not be a strictly SKU roleplaying forum, as I know some of you also play other games, and I'll work up a specific ruleset for the roleplaying forum.

That said, I want some suggestions for a format we can agree on for threads. I was thinking that we should use tags to indicate what kind of game we're playing, such as

[SKU, BESM] In which Akio finds a new Rose Bride

or a format where each game is given a specific name, and the threads are locations, like

[Akio's New Rose Bride] The Seitokai Balcony

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, questions, comments? I want to agree on organization first, so that I can write it into the rules. It'll be easier to navigate if everyone follows one setup.

Thank you - I love you. I think it'll be less confusing this way.

And, Hinotori, I jsut PM'd you back - I had to be MIA for a wee bit, but I'm back in business now.

Anyway, I do think the student council should be set in place beforehand - I think it'd be very eays for us to get quite bogged down in the getting a student council process and not get to the actual dueling for a long while. And I think the Rose Bride selection process is gonna be enough (I think it'll be quite interesting, too). And I was thinking of a student council as opposed to the student council. Actually, Hinotori had the idea that there be some ritual of some sort for the selection of the Rose Bride, and I suggested dueling, but dueling where the kids aren't sure what the exact reason for the dueling is (Akio can think of some lie to tell them as an incentive, I'm sure).

Hope that made sense... maybe I should just paste the message in here... -_-;

#71 | Back to Top12-16-2006 12:45:35 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

*grins* I'm glad you love us, but how would you all prefer it to be organized? Locations, or games restricted to one thread?

#72 | Back to Top12-16-2006 02:16:08 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yasha, in a PM to A Day Without Me, wrote:

Why not have the focus _be_ Akio's search for a new Rose Bride?

Seriously, Akio's going to be pissed after Anthy leaves-- he's going to get a Rose Bride by any means he can, and there's more ways to skin a cat (or stab a Rose Bride with a million swords) than just catching them young. Akio could get the chance to manipulate events and people-- including side characters and players-- in a lot more direct fashion than he does for the first and second arc.

Why does Akio want a new Rose Bride? 

There's a wonderful thread floating around right now in which Gio and others argue convincingly that Akio doesn't want his princeliness back and has no interest in actually revolutionizing the world; the whole game is a charade designed to allow Anthy to pretend her onii-sama is redeemable, which in turn allows Akio to go on abusing her.  Well, the game is over.  Akio doesn't get to abuse Anthy anymore.  By the same token, he no longer has to pretend to care about world revolution.  So in the RP, why is he seeking a Rose Bride, and why is he running duels?  Old habits dying hard?  Or did he change through his experience?  Or is this a subtly different game, leading toward a subtly different endpoint?

Just questions for our GMs to think about emot-smile  Not necessarily something the player base has to know up front.

Last edited by satyreyes (12-16-2006 02:16:18 AM)

#73 | Back to Top12-16-2006 05:59:43 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

I think that the Akio's searching of new duellist and/or Rose  Bride is better for the RP. Maybe some people(=me) are interest to interpret a Rose Bride character emot-tongue

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#74 | Back to Top12-16-2006 11:06:04 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I like the idea of locations being in different threads.  Some of the biggest headaches with online text-based rpgs is keeping track of WHERE everyone is and WHEN.  Otherwise you get threads all tangled and stuff.

EDIT: Besides, there should be places on campus where only certain characters can go.  Like wherever the seitokai meets and the dueling arena (of course).

Last edited by angelicreation (12-16-2006 11:06:54 AM)

#75 | Back to Top12-16-2006 04:28:44 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

angelicreation wrote:

EDIT: Besides, there should be places on campus where only certain characters can go.  Like wherever the seitokai meets and the dueling arena (of course).

But anyone can go to Akio's bedroom. school-devil

Board footer