This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-06-2012 04:32:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Election 2012: Four More Years?

Oddly enough, some precincts in Indiana and Kentucky have already reported their vote totals, even though the official poll closing time isn't for another half hour in either state.  I'm not sure what's going on there.  Less than one percent of the vote has been counted in either state, but what has been counted gives us no reason to doubt what we already suspected: both states will probably vote for Romney.

Another state has also already counted a few votes, but I know what's going on there.  A few tiny hamlets in New Hampshire, most famously Dixville Notch, traditionally cast their votes at midnight on Election Day.  Their ballots are the first in the nation to be counted.  Dixville Notch has done a pretty good job predicting the outcome of past elections; they got Bill Clinton wrong both times, but have otherwise gotten every election right since 1980.  This year the vote in Dixville Notch was tied, 5-5, amid record low turnout.

#52 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:06:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

7:00 struck, and immediately the TV networks started calling some of the uncontroversial races.  Vermont for Obama; Kentucky for Romney; et cetera.  But the gold standard in calling elections is not any TV network, but the Associated Press, or possibly the New York Times.  It's not true till the AP says so.  And that's because the AP takes its time to call races; they do not issue calls until they're sure.

The AP has already called Vermont for Obama.  None of Vermont's vote is counted yet, so the AP is acting on exit polls, which must have been very strong for Obama in the state, as expected.  The electoral vote stands at Obama 3 - Romney 0.  270 are needed to win.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 05:06:56 PM)

#53 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:10:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And now the AP has called Kentucky for Romney: Romney 8 - Obama 3.  I expect it won't be long until South Carolina, Georgia, and possibly Indiana join Romney's column.  It will take much longer to know which way Virginia voted.

The next round of poll closings is at 7:30, when North Carolina and Ohio close up shop -- assuming voting hours are not extended, which sometimes happens when lines are long.

#54 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:19:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

*NAIL BITING*

Jesus I have such a bad feeling, especially after hearing about some of the digital voting fuckery.

#55 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:23:12 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

If anyone is bored as we wait for more polls to close and for results to start coming in, you could browse the first couple waves of battleground state exit polls.  Keep in mind that most of these states haven't even closed their voting places yet, and real-time exit polls are usually pretty bad anyway, so don't attach too much significance to these numbers.

Digital voting fuckery is a real worry.  I worry about sabotage and vote-stealing when it comes to these machines that have no paper trails.  Nothing stops the software from showing you a vote for Obama but recording a vote for Romney or vice versa.  In Ohio, they changed the software at the last minute without running it by the state's examiners first.  A judge ruled that voting should go forward on the new software anyway.  It's probably nothing.  But I worry.

#56 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:25:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Meanwhile, an illustration of why you shouldn't put too much weight on early vote returns: with less than 1% of the vote counted, Obama currently leads in South Carolina 86-14.  emot-rofl

#57 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:36:29 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

7:30 and the polls are closed in NC, OH, and WV.  The Associated Press promptly called West Virginia for Romney, putting the electoral vote score at Romney 13 - Obama 3.  The AP still has not called Indiana, which all the TV networks have called for Romney, nor South Carolina or Georgia, where Obama is also not thought to have a realistic chance.   We are unlikely to see results in the swing states of North Carolina or Ohio for some time.

At 8:00 the polls will close in a whole slew of places, but especially Florida, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania -- which are electorally important -- and Maryland and Maine -- where same-sex marriage in on the ballot.  If I were a team of five individuals, I would track Senate races for you too, but the best I'm going to be able to do is check in on them occasionally.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 05:38:37 PM)

#58 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:46:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Here's a funny phenomenon.  No one ever doubted that Romney would win South Carolina, but about five minutes ago NBC finally called it for him.  Within sixty seconds, ABC and Fox had done the same, and sixty seconds after that, so had CBS and CNN.  Now, maybe the networks just independently concluded at the same time that South Carolina would not surprise us, but it's much more likely that their producers are all watching each other's channels.  When one network calls a state there's enormous pressure for the others to call it right away, lest they lose viewership.  This is one important cause of the fiasco in 2000, when the networks all rushed to call Florida for Gore, then for Bush, then for no one.  The AP and New York Times, which don't have television channels, still have not called South Carolina.  (1% of the vote is counted there, and Obama remains ahead 75-24, which amuses me to no end.)

#59 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:46:53 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

If I were a team of five individuals, I would track Senate races for you too, but the best I'm going to be able to do is check in on them occasionally.

Heh. You're already doing the work of five people. It's fun keeping tabs on this along with the TV and various other stuff, thanks for doing it.

#60 | Back to Top11-06-2012 05:59:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Still no new calls from the AP, but 8:00 hits soon, and things will heat up.  Meanwhile, a quick checkup on the swing states, mostly for fun.

Ohio: <1% counted, Obama ahead 57-41.
Virginia: 9% counted, Romney ahead 59-40.  (Don't panic, Obama fans.  Not a single vote counted in Northern Virginia yet.)
North Carolina: <1% counted, Obama ahead 53-46.  (Don't panic, Romney fans, if there are any of you.  Charlotte has started counting, and that's where Obama gets his margins.)
Florida: 9% counted, Obama ahead 51-48.

#61 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:04:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

After much cautious interpreting of the incoming vote, the AP has finally called South Carolina (where Obama still leads 55-44) for Romney, along with Indiana.  The electoral vote score so far is thus Romney 33, Obama 3.  But Illinois and most of New England has just closed its polls; expect Obama's number to rise soon.  (Many TV networks already have Obama ahead.)

#62 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:09:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The AP's 8:00 round of calls is in.  Oklahoma has predictably voted for Romney; Connecticut, Delaware, Washington DC, and Illinois have predictably voted for Obama.  The gap narrows: Romney 40, Obama 36.

Florida and Virginia are counting their votes quickly so far.  It's too soon to start making guesses about either state, but if this pace keeps up we might know how each state voted before midnight. emot-biggrin

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 06:10:24 PM)

#63 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:10:46 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I've been hearing from a lot of TV stations (based on exit polls, i think?) that the number of african americans voting in this election is higher than the last go round. In PA, VA, and some other places that are being focused on on the east coast at least. Any thoughts why that would be the case, assuming the info is accurate? It doesn't bother me or anything of course, but it does surprise me somewhat. The last election was definitely historic and, in my opinion at least, featured a very strong contrast between the two candidates (which, imo, has faded slightly since Obama took office). But anyways, I get why turn out would have been high for the last year not just with african americans, but with everyone in general.

I can't really figure out why it would be higher this time.

#64 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:14:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

More African-Americans voting than in 2008?  That is surprising!  The first explanation that leaps to mind is that -- while African-Americans may be less excited in 2012 than they were in 2012 -- white voters might be less excited by even more than that.  As a fraction of the electorate, then, African-Americans will vote in larger number.  But I'm pulling that out of my butt.

The AP has called Massachusetts and Rhode Island for Obama.  Obama 51, Romney 40.

I'm not sure about the AP, but some TV networks are calling the Maine Senate race for independent candidate Angus King.  King is an interesting guy, parlaying his experience as a popular former governor into what looks like a successful Senate run.  He's expected to caucus with the Democrats.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 06:19:20 PM)

#65 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:17:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oops, backtrack: while the New York Times has called Massachusetts for Obama, the AP still has not.  I should have said 40-40.

#66 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:24:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

D:

#67 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:26:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The only state that closes its polls at 8:30 is Arkansas, which should be called for Romney pretty quickly, so now we settle in to watch the states that are already closed as more results stream in.  The AP has not made any new calls, even as the TV networks rush to call Alabama, Mississippi, New Jersey, and Tennessee, among others.  The TV networks are actually exercising some moderation this year.  There's quite a bit of variation so far as to who has called what, and they're waiting a bit after polls close to make most of their calls -- though maybe that's just good TV.

Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight reports that in a fast-counting Virginian county, where more than three-quarters of the vote is in, Romney's margin of victory is almost exactly the same as McCain's in 2008.  If this holds up, it is a promising result for Obama.

#68 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:29:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Of course no sooner do I post that than the AP calls Maryland and Maine for Obama, along finally with Massachusetts; further, Tennessee is called for Romney.  This puts the count at either 65-51 Obama or 64-51 Obama, depending on whether the AP intended to call Maine's 2nd Electoral District for him along with the rest of the state.  They probably did not, so the best score right now is Obama 64, Romney 51.

#69 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:36:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

My little brother tells me that a weatherman on CBS's Hawaii affiliate just called today "Chooseday," since it's the day we choose our elected representatives.  I think it's important to take time out of this stressful election night to acknowledge exceptionally bad wordplay.  But then again, it's also important to take time out to acknowledge what a miracle we're witnessing.  For most of history -- and for that matter still in most of the world -- there has never been a reliable, orderly, peaceful mechanism in place to remove one ruling group and replace them with another.  Democracy that works is amazing.

Less than three percent of the vote has been counted in either Maine or Maryland, but same-sex marriage is currently ahead in both states.

#70 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:47:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

True to form, the most important state in this election -- Ohio -- is counting very slowly, with only 1% of the vote in so far.  But Virginia and Florida are both a third done. 

In Florida, it's already a nail-biter, with Romney just 0.2% ahead of Obama.  My own county seems to be leaning Obama, which is a good sign; Tampa is an important swing region of the state.  Further, Miami has only begun to count votes.

In Virginia, Romney is well ahead, 57-42.  But while the state as a whole may be 33% done counting, the crucial Northern Virginia county of Fairfax is only 1% done.  Fairfax, a DC suburb, is heavily liberal, and Obama's victory will depend on his margin of victory there.  You may very well want to learn more about Virginia's vote, but you will have to wait -- many polling places in Virginia are actually still open, with enormous lines, because too many people are still waiting to vote.  The state has decided to stop reporting the vote count until the last polling station has closed.

No new AP calls.  At 9:00, polls close in Colorado and Wisconsin, along with a bunch of non-swing states -- including Minnesota, which could be the first state in the country to reject an amendment banning same-sex marriage.

#71 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:58:00 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Like an fool, I accidentally spent election day in New Mexico on a wacky sudden impulse. Unfortunately I reside in Missouri.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#72 | Back to Top11-06-2012 06:58:03 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The AP has called Georgia for Romney, the last of the 7:00 round of poll closings to be called, apart from the swing state of Virginia.  It has also called Alabama for Romney.  Romney retakes the lead: Romney 76, Obama 64.

The 76-64 score means basically nothing, since no swing state has been called yet by any media outlet.  The AP has been evenhandedly taking its time on both sides; they aren't calling Romney states quickly but hesitating on Obama states, for example, which could have meant that they think Romney overperformed his polls.  So the information they're seeing must be broadly in line with expectations -- a good sign for Obama, since he was the favorite.

#73 | Back to Top11-06-2012 07:10:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

With the passing of 9:00, we have a big set of AP calls.  The big prizes are New York (Obama) and Texas (Romney).  Romney also takes Louisiana, Nebraska, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming.  Obama gets Michigan -- which had sometimes been called a swing state, though without much good reason.  The score is now Romney 142, Obama 109, still with no swing states in.  270 to win.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 07:10:55 PM)

#74 | Back to Top11-06-2012 07:17:58 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I am always surprised when MI blues, because everyone I know is Republican.

...I need better friends.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#75 | Back to Top11-06-2012 07:18:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Some of the TV networks are finally calling the first swing state, Pennsylvania, for Obama.  The AP and Times have not said anything about it.  If this holds up, it is not exactly surprising, but it is certainly a disappointment for the Romney campaign, which put a lot of resources there over the past couple weeks on an outside bet that they could win it.  The AP has, however, called Arkansas for Romney, increasing his edge: Romney 148, Obama 109.

Long lines persist in Virginia and Florida -- I wonder how long those voters will stand around waiting in the dark.  Florida remains ass-tight, within a few thousand votes out of over six million counted, recount territory with 62% of precincts reporting.  Virginia is up to 47% reporting, and Romney is ahead 54-45.  Fairfax is still lagging behind the state.

Ohio is counting much more slowly, still with only 3% of precincts reporting.  I swear to God this happens every election cycle.  For whatever it's worth, Obama is well ahead there.

Maine and Maryland are counting infuriatingly slowly.  I have no reliable news for you about marriage equality.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 07:19:58 PM)

Board footer