This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-19-2007 11:37:37 PM

SwordKing
Saionji Slapper

What's funniest to you?

For me, it's puppet-on-puppet violence. Nothing tickles my funnybone like watching two hand puppets repeatedly whack each other with slapsticks.

How about you?

#2 | Back to Top04-19-2007 11:39:54 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Re: What's funniest to you?

completely random, unexpected, almost so retarded that it shouldnt be funny cause i fel braincells slowly dieing kind of funny.

no need to explain really.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#3 | Back to Top04-19-2007 11:42:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My reply belongs in IFD. No wait, the funniest thing in the world is a well-placed zinger. Such moments cannot be replicated.

The second funniest is when my conversations end in things like 'OH GOD, I HAVE TO GET A BLOCK OF CHEDDAR OR MY SEX LIFE IS RUINED!' I like it when the streak of surreal in my life is really more like a sixteen lane highway. emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top04-20-2007 02:59:09 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Yasha wrote:

The second funniest is when my conversations end in things like 'OH GOD, I HAVE TO GET A BLOCK OF CHEDDAR OR MY SEX LIFE IS RUINED!' I like it when the streak of surreal in my life is really more like a sixteen lane highway. emot-dance

Agreed! The funniest moments in life are those unplanned, unexpected moments where the weirdness escalates into the most inane conversation imaginable.

I like satire and parody...much like the type of humor they address on South Park. A political issue the boys take note, run to Chef for the answers, who sends them on a wild goose chase where they finally come to terms with whatever hypocrisy they are exposing on that particular episode.

I do NOT like, however, jokes at other people's expense...the type that will hurt them, like picking on someone, I don't like bullying jokes at all. I collect stand up comedians though, and they all KICK ASS because they make fun of the world, not individual people. poptart

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#5 | Back to Top04-20-2007 03:52:09 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Bad word-play and poopoo jokes.

And the misfortune of my friends. I really wish I didn't spend so much of my life laughing over things like someone I'm close to getting sent to rehab.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#6 | Back to Top04-20-2007 10:23:32 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

It honestly depends on what mood I'm in and who I'm with. I can tell you, though, that I do NOT find really low brow boring farting and belching and tiolet humor funny. If it's sex related I'm totally fine, though. But yeah it depends. Random is good, I love black humor and dry comedy . . . camp is fun. So is satire and parody.

I gotta agree with SwordKing that if I see Ron and Harry puppets beating each other senselessly or bothering Snape I will fall out of my chair.

I especially love capslock humor. emot-dance

#7 | Back to Top04-20-2007 10:38:27 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Hmm... I am partial to British humor, and deadpan.  Often the two converge. cool

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#8 | Back to Top04-20-2007 11:47:13 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If it's British, dry or bleak I will likely love it. I also have a soft spot for bad puns and the surreal. (What is the status of your goat love?)

Sex, of course, is a given. My own sense of humor seems to center around deadpan.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#9 | Back to Top04-21-2007 08:31:06 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

British Comedy is one of my favorite forms entrainment... i love parodies of all kinds and if i could get a job that paid me well to participate in Schadenfreude ( that word is hot etc-wankdude ).....It would be the perfect job for me ....i really need to go to see Avenue Q ....and also much love for Comedy Central...i dont love every thing on the channel but it still rocks.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#10 | Back to Top04-21-2007 11:39:59 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Dirty jokes, wordplay, HAX0RZ, and generally clever remarks. I also laugh like crazy when people fall. Particularly down flights of stairs, on pavement, down a hill, or on the bleachers beside the football feild.

Last edited by dollface (04-21-2007 11:40:17 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#11 | Back to Top04-21-2007 11:55:56 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I like just about all kinds of humor. I'm not too fond of sports jokes, though. :[

#12 | Back to Top04-21-2007 03:28:35 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

It honestly depends on what mood I'm in and who I'm with. I can tell you, though, that I do NOT find really low brow boring farting and belching and tiolet humor funny. If it's sex related I'm totally fine, though. But yeah it depends. Random is good, I love black humor and dry comedy . . . camp is fun. So is satire and parody.

Quoted for truth.

Beyond that, anything that puts stiffs in a really awkward position. Watching those reactions is amazing (a'la Borat).

#13 | Back to Top04-23-2007 12:48:16 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

I also love British humor. =] And black comedy, if it's skilfully rendered, like in Twin Peaks or Heathers.

But really, I think one of the most fulfilling ways to entertain myself is to just be silly around other people when they least expect it. I mean, if other people aren't up to entertaining me, I may as well entertain them. Or at least confuse and surprise them.. er.. Dare I mention my transformation into the "Blanket Monster"? My mother seriously thought I was drunk when she noticed I was slinking around the house with a blanket over my head, and responding to people by growling and "roar!"ing. To make it better, I couldn't see where I was going. Um... yeah. I don't know if I'm playful or just plain attention-hungry, but seeing how other people react to my silliness is probably one of the most simple, yet satisfying ways to entertain and be entertained.

Or I can just make silly faces in the mirror. Actually, it's not that hard to make me laugh, so long as I'm in a good mood.

And before anyone asks: no, I'm not 6 years old. emot-mad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#14 | Back to Top04-24-2007 11:19:52 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Teapot wrote:

I also love British humor. =] And black comedy, if it's skilfully rendered, like in Twin Peaks or Heathers.

Twin Peaks?  Black Comedy?  I don't get it...

For me, it's a toss-up between complete farce (Cold Comfort Farm) and jokes that puncture pretensions...can't think of any examples off-hand.  Mind, I usually laugh hardest at stupid, dirty jokes.  Wondershowzen or the Family Guy come to mind.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top04-25-2007 04:29:13 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I love da British Humour, especially shows like Brittas Empire, Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder and Are You been Served?

#16 | Back to Top04-25-2007 03:43:53 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Teapot wrote:

Twin Peaks?  Black Comedy?  I don't get it...

Black comedy is often cruel, dark, or just plain weird humor, usually presented using satire, social commentary, or ironic events. Twin Peaks has a lot of it emot-aaa Heathers is pure black comedy, though. It pokes at teenage suicide, which, by itself, isn't funny at all-- but in the context of the story, it's hilarious.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#17 | Back to Top04-25-2007 04:09:15 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Yeah, black comedy is when something that should never be amusing is, when presented in the right context.

Though I haven't seen any of his work other than 2001  emot-redface , from what I know, much of Stanley Kubrick's work is black comedy.  A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, Dr Strangelove... all black comedies.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#18 | Back to Top04-27-2007 10:49:53 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Tamago wrote:

I love da British Humour, especially shows like Brittas Empire, Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder and Are You been Served?

huzza someone else who loves Are you being served? and i  need to see if Blackadder is up on youtube i wannna see more emot-dance

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#19 | Back to Top04-27-2007 11:52:28 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The movie of A Clockwork Orange is black comedy? Appropriate, really. The book wasn't written to be funny but I found it amusing.

Then again, I'm the guy who laughed at Hamlet.

#20 | Back to Top04-28-2007 01:09:44 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

The movie of A Clockwork Orange is black comedy? Appropriate, really. The book wasn't written to be funny but I found it amusing.

I wouldn't call ACO a black comedy as such but it does have some dark comic moments, its more a of speculative fiction.

#21 | Back to Top04-28-2007 02:11:39 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's sort of how I saw it, along with a level of social commentary. In a similar vein to Orwell's 1984.

#22 | Back to Top04-28-2007 06:15:34 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

But that's because Hamlet is hilarious!  I mean, how can you take that big pile of bodies at the end seriously?  But to me the funniest part is when Polonius buys it and actually says "Oh, I am slain!"  LOL

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#23 | Back to Top04-28-2007 01:18:47 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

I love British Humour too, which is weird cus I AM British. I also find memes very, very funny. The lolcats you see floating around for Caturday are hilarious. Oh, and random humour. Great, great stuff.

#24 | Back to Top04-28-2007 11:39:11 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Why is it weird for a Brit to like British humour?

#25 | Back to Top05-02-2007 12:07:36 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Absurdity always gets me the best. There is no greater humour than pure, almost dadaistic insanity. The original Pink Panther movies, Monty Python, Black Adder, as well as Japanese anime and manga like Excel Saga (the manga is better) or Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu and Western comics like Transmetropolitan are among my favourites in amusement.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Board footer