This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:41:10 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Weird stuff you thought as a kid

What are some of the stranger things you thought when you were younger?
(or...until you found out otherwise)

I thought that since I spoke English, I was English, so I would get kinda mad when people said I was American.

For some reason, I thought "bastard" was just another word for "monster." I was pretending to fight a dragon in my grandmother's living room once, called it a bastard, got in trouble emot-frown

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#2 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:42:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Weird stuff you thought as a kid

When I was in kindergarten, I refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance, because I wasn't an American. I was Floridian.

Duh.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top11-18-2011 01:22:07 AM

Makubi
Touga Topper

When I was younger, my father, who is from South Asia, always used to pronounce America as ''Em-oor-ree-kah'' as opposed to Am-eh-ree-ka

thusly, I was convinced there was a special country of Emoorica, filled with happy and smiling Emooricans.

#4 | Back to Top11-18-2011 04:12:14 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

This is definitely a weird one, and I don't know how I picked it up. When I was six or seven, I was convinced, don't ask me the hell how, that 'Russell' or 'rustle' was another word for sex.

Yep. Weird.

And whenever I heard it I'd get this weird little tingle in my groin that I didn't understand and I wondered how people could keep saying this and not get in trouble.

(You asked.)

#5 | Back to Top11-18-2011 11:47:57 AM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Made me lol for real emot-rofl

Around 7 years old I had some vague idea of what sex was...but not really, since where the f did I get that information. When my cousin told me that's how babies were made, I was like...no, I don't think that's right. I think you just have to marry someone, then you might get pregnant.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#6 | Back to Top11-18-2011 12:56:18 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

I used to think that airplanes chased birds. I also thought that there were people living in my pillow, because I could always hear noises underneath my head whenever I went to bed (I later realized that this was because my family was watching tv in the room below my bed). I believed that there were green skinned mutants living underneath the rug in my room, which makes no sense now for a number of reasons.

I also thought that rape was just when you took somebody's clothes off. I couldn't understand why people got so bent up about it. Heh.

Last edited by hayama (11-18-2011 07:38:50 PM)

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#7 | Back to Top11-18-2011 01:04:55 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I thought that when vampires bit people, it was rape. I didn't know what sex was at that point in time and I'm not even sure how I even got that idea in the first place. xD There was once a Halloween ad on Nickelodeon with a vampire biting a woman and I was like "Oh my god I can't believe they're showing that!"

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-18-2011 01:06:06 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#8 | Back to Top11-19-2011 08:01:50 AM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

When I was younger, at a theater they had the Rocky Horror Show, and my mom explained it to me in a few words.  It sounded intense, upsetting, and tragic.  I kept thinking it was this dark, complex show about a perfect man whose creator turned on him, dealing with the issues raised in Frankenstein, cloning, etc.

#9 | Back to Top11-20-2011 11:18:31 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I thought people started out as babies, became old, and became babies again.  Actually, I'm starting to reconsider those views as I consider the possibility of rebirth being a life after death scenario...at least in the way that the Buddhist Dharma teaches.  Heh.

#10 | Back to Top11-20-2011 05:31:04 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

When I was a kid I used to think that D.C. was in VA... In fact I believed that for a VERY long time... In third grade I told my teacher she was pronouncing Powhatan wrong (Pow-wuh-tin) and that it was actually (Pow-Hat-N) Needless to say I was embarrassed in front of like 15 other kids...then a few days ago I learned I was actually correct. Wish I knew her number or something so I could say 'In yo faceeeee!!!'

I also used to think that the little whispy parts of dead dandilions were creatures... like some kind if bug. I even secretly thought they might be fairies.

I used to think that the Cookie Monster would pop out of the toilet when it flushed. So I would run screaming out of the bathroom every time I flushed a toilet. I was sure that if someone heard me they could save me from his clutches >__>)

I used to think that only rich people could afford to shop at Wal Mart... don't ask... I don't even know where that one came from. Maybe because I was always asking for stuff, and my parents were always like no.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#11 | Back to Top11-20-2011 07:38:06 PM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

Up until I was about 13 I thought the song patio lanterns by Kim Mitchell was about some Irish person named Patty O’Lantern, my friends still make fun of me to this day. emot-redface

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

Board footer