This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-20-2014 05:17:18 PM

kodae
New Student

Utena Blu-ray set from Nozomi not likely

Shawne Keckner (CEO of Right Stuf/Nozomi) did an AMA today on reddit. I took this opportunity to ask about Nozomi doing Blu-ray releases in the future and specifically asked about the possibility of the Utena Blu-ray set coming to the states. Here was his response:

As I am sure you have noticed with other publishers, Blu-Ray releases have been a struggle due to Japanese concern, based on the shared region code, of reverse importation. They have thrown up holdbacks and "we have to release first" clauses, which often push releases back for years. I have talked about this extensively with other industry people, it's incredibly frustrating.
We have been closely looking at sales for Blu-Ray to try to decide what would be our best point of entrance based on the costs to be incurred by authoring and replication. Costs for Blu-ray are higher for both, although these costs have decreased substantially from when Blu-Ray was originally introduced. There are several potential titles we're considering. But with some of the niche and classic titles we have licensed, there likely isn't enough demand for us to release on this format profitably.
Another issue, honestly, comes down to materials availability. I'm not a super fan of the upscaling process used for some Blu-Rays, and it has been difficult to get to materials for titles that would be suitable for a quality release. Many 90s shows, for example, were produced on video rather than film and thus upscaling really would likely be the only option.

You can see the whole AMA here: http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ … _of_anime/

"Andy is indistinguishable from the village boys; he hangs around street corners and longs vaguely for a life he will never have."

#2 | Back to Top01-20-2014 05:37:09 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Utena Blu-ray set from Nozomi not likely

Well, this is annoying. I'd planned to wait for the Utena blu-ray set to be released in Australia before buying it.

#3 | Back to Top01-20-2014 07:25:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Annoying, but I can definitely see their reasons for not wanting to do a blu-ray release. Let's be honest, how many of us were going to buy it again on blu-ray when I'm guessing most of us own the dvds?

I mean, I know I would because Gio and I run the site, but.........

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top01-20-2014 09:08:36 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

For me, it's practicality; I have the American releases, which are coded to a different region than Aus. Practicality suggests that DVDs coded locally would be a better choice in the event that I no longer have access to an all region DVD player. On the other hand, the American releases cost me a fortune to buy and import, and to spend another fortune on sets that are identical in every way except coding is illogical, to say the least. With a Blu-ray edition I can justify the extra purchase, support Australian distributers, cover my capacious backside etc and so forth.

#5 | Back to Top01-20-2014 09:11:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

While I didn't know all of the particulars, I do understand the gist-- I'm just looking at it from Nozomi's point of view, and I understand that too. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top01-20-2014 10:10:52 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I do understand Nozomi's POV and reasoning, it's just that it's kind of a downer for me (and probably others). Oh well, we did get one hell of a sexy DVD set from them, this must be stated. etc-love

Board footer