This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-09-2007 09:03:14 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Favorite quotes

We have a guess the quote game on here somewhere that died, but I couldn't find a favorite quotes one. So here it is! Post song lyrics, movie quotes, anything that somebody else said or wrote that you really like.

I'll start with one of my favorites from Alexander Pope:

Pride still is aiming at the bless'd abode: Men would be angels, angels would be gods. Aspiring to be gods, if angels fell; aspiring to be angels men rebel.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#2 | Back to Top06-09-2007 12:23:38 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Favorite quotes

Aaah, my kind of thread.  I've got a million of these, so I'll try to be selective.  I swear, I could forget what I'm doing while seated on the toilet, but when it comes to words, my memory is nearly eidetic.

"After everything, I will love you
as if it were always before,
as if after so much waiting,
not seeing you and you not coming,
you were breathing
close to me forever."
               -Pablo Neruda

(En Espanol:
"Después de todo te amaré
Como si fuera siempre antes
Como si de tanto esperar
Sin que te viera ni llegaras
Estuvieras eternamente
Respirando cerca de mí.")

I guess I'm just in a romantic mood today.etc-love

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top06-09-2007 12:33:20 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Aww. I'm going to interupt all this intelligence, and I'm probably going to regret it later. But for now, eh.

Jade Puget wrote:

I was sitting here without a shirt on, absentmindedly scratching my back with a pen for about five minutes and I just looked in the mirror and saw that I had drawn a nice mural on my back. It looks kind of like a map of Wyoming, with all the rivers and mountain ranges, or maybe a portrait of Bob Marley. Yes. Tablature.

...Alright, I'll say something worth hearing as well.

Davey Havok wrote:

Hate humanity? Yep, sure do. There's such a lack of responsibility for one's actions in the world, selfishness, and a great destruction in the way people live their lives. It's all instant gratification, and who cares how my instant gratification affects those around me, or on a small personal level or a global level. The way people treat each other is truly disgusting, and we've created an environment through advances in science and technology that allows for a very septic society to thrive. And we breed and breed, and all the wrong people breed while all the right people don't want to have children because they don't want to place them in this world.

And, yes, I'm going to take Stormcrow's place for a moment. emot-tongue

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:

Christianity was from the beginning, essentially and fundamentally, life's nausea and disgust with life, merely concealed behind, masked by, dressed up as, faith in "another" or "better" life.

Last edited by dollface (06-09-2007 12:34:56 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#4 | Back to Top06-09-2007 12:38:21 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Thanks, dollface, I'm having to hold myself back from the Nietzsche, because there are too many for me to choose from.  That one is one of them.  And the Jade Puget thing was awesome.emot-biggrin

-Truck North

#5 | Back to Top06-09-2007 12:45:34 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

My favourite excerpt from Ne me quitte pas, by Jacques Brel. I keep it in French, I will try to find a proper translation later, ok?

Moi, je t'offrirai
des perles de pluie
venues de pays
où il ne pleut pas.
Je creuserai la terre
jusqu'après ma mort
pour couvrir ton corps
d'or, et de lumière.
Je ferai un domaine
où l'amour sera roi
où l'amour sera loi
où tu seras reine.
Ne me quitte pas.
Ne me quitte pas.

Translation:
I’ll bring back to you
the clear pearls of rain
from a distant domain
where rain never fell.
And though I grow old
I’ll keep mining the ground
to deck you around
in sunlight and gold.
I’ll build you a desmene
where love will be king
where love will be law
where you will be queen.
Don’t leave me now.
Don’t leave me now.

Anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEAGoLHMMoA

And Bertolt Brecht, excerpt from Questions from A Worker Who Reads:

"Who built Thebes of the seven gates?
In the books you will find the name of kings.
Did the kings haul up the lumps of rock?"

Stormcrow, does your quote come from El corazón amarillo? emot-tongue
Maybe you have also read Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada? Poem n. 20 is just... etc-love etc-love etc-love

Last edited by Asfalolh (06-09-2007 01:11:33 PM)

#6 | Back to Top06-09-2007 01:09:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PaleBlueDot.jpg

Carl Sagan wrote:

That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, ever king and peasant, every young couple in love, every moth and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar,” every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there—on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
     The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
     Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
     The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
     It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

He was a frequent smoker of marijuana. school-eng101

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top06-09-2007 01:12:07 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

Maybe you have also read Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada? Poem n. 20 is just... etc-love etc-love etc-love

I'm afraid I don't know where it was originally published, by familiarity with it comes from the soundtrack to Il Postino.emot-redface  I have read Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada, but you'll have to refresh my memory regarding which poem you refer to, as it's been some time and I don't have a copy handy.  I'm sure I loved it though, since Neruda never wrote a bad poem.etc-love

Another quote, I can't help myself:

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:

It might even be possible that what constitutes the value of those good and honored things resides precisely in their being artfully related, knotted and crocheted to these wicked, apparently antithetical things, perhaps even in their being essentially identical with them.  Perhaps! - But who is willing to concern himself with such dangerous perhapses!

EDIT: Nice one Gio, I love Carl "billions and billions" Sagan!

Last edited by Stormcrow (06-09-2007 01:14:14 PM)

-Truck North

#8 | Back to Top06-09-2007 01:15:19 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Another Carl Sagan quote that just come to my mind:

Carl Sagan wrote:

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, first you must create the univers."

#9 | Back to Top06-09-2007 01:20:47 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

Asfalolh wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know where it was originally published, by familiarity with it comes from the soundtrack to Il Postino.emot-redface  I have read Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada, but you'll have to refresh my memory regarding which poem you refer to, as it's been some time and I don't have a copy handy.  I'm sure I loved it though, since Neruda never wrote a bad poem.etc-love

Oh, I should have thought! I haven't seen El cartero de Neruda, but I've been told it's a great film. I think I will try to find that old VHS emot-tongue

Poema 20
Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.

Escribir, por ejemplo: "La noche esta estrellada,
y tiritan, azules, los astros, a lo lejos".

El viento de la noche gira en el cielo y canta.

Yo la quise, y a veces ella también me quiso.

En las noches como ésta la tuve entre mis brazos.
La besé tantas veces bajo el cielo infinito.

Ella me quiso, a veces yo también la quería.
Cómo no haber amado sus grandes ojos fijos.

Pensar que no la tengo. Sentir que la he perdido.
[...]

#10 | Back to Top06-09-2007 02:31:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that picture Gio posted was the Total Perspective Vortexfrom the Hitchhiker's series.

Anyway, my absolute favorite quote is my sig. I have no clue about the original context Baudrillard wrote it in, but it makes me think of Akio and Anthy.  I actually have a couple of MS Word files of nothing but quotes that I've collected from things I've read or come across. I'll post some of the more worksafe ones here.

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
   --Yassir Arafat (On going to war over religion)

"And God said: Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan."
   --George Burns

"There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane: Either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do."
   --Henry Kissinger

"My cousin just died. He was only 19. He got stung by a bee - the natural enemy of a tightrope walker."
   --Dan Rather

"I am a marvelous housekeeper.  Every time I leave a man, I keep his house."
    --Zsa Zsa Gabor

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."
    --Oscar Wilde

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#11 | Back to Top06-09-2007 02:39:19 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

But there are so many wonderful quotes!  emot-gonk  This little blue dot has been home to a lot of people with big brains, big souls, and big vocabularies.  For now I'll limit myself to two.

The first one saw use (at my advice) on a paper written by one of my tutees, about whether the Founding Fathers were afraid of democracy.  A wonderful topic, and a wonderful quote.

Winston Churchill wrote:

Democracy is the worst form of government, except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

God, that man could speak.  This sums up my own feelings about democracy perfectly.  "I wish I had said that..."

The second is one-thirteenth of my favorite poem.

Wallace Stevens wrote:

The river is moving.
The blackbird must be flying.

Brings tears to my eyes.  When I forget that I'm surrounded by beauty, these lines bring me back to it.

#12 | Back to Top06-09-2007 02:40:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that picture Gio posted was the Total Perspective Vortexfrom the Hitchhiker's series.

My thoughts exactly. emot-smile

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#13 | Back to Top06-09-2007 02:44:34 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

I suppose I have to quote all the Oscar Wilde's aforism emot-tongue

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#14 | Back to Top06-09-2007 02:56:02 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

I love all of them, specially...

Raven Nightshade wrote:

"I am a marvelous housekeeper.  Every time I leave a man, I keep his house."
    --Zsa Zsa Gabor

Definitely my role model from now on emot-biggrin

Some more:
"The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his own works "
Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

"I imagine hell like this: Italian punctuality, German humour and English wine."
"If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done."
Peter Ustinov

"What is life? A madness. What is life? An illusion, a shadow, a story. And the greatest good is little enough: for all life is a dream, and dreams themselves are only dreams."
Calderón de la Barca, La vida es sueño / Life is but a dream

#15 | Back to Top06-09-2007 03:09:36 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I've got one... it's part of a song lyric.  And, appropriate for an SKU forum, it's a metaphor.

It's a Genesis song from 1980 called Heathaze, and it's one of my alltime favorites.  I've put my favorite lines in italics.

Tony Banks wrote:

No cloud, a sleepy calm,
Sunbaked earth that's cooled by gentle breeze,
And trees with rustling leaves,
Only endless days without a care,
Nothing must be done.

Silent as a day can be,
Far-off sounds of others on their chosen run
As they do all those things they feel give life some meaning,
Even if they're dull.

Time to stop this dreaming, must rejoin the real world
As revealed by orange lights and a smokey atmosphere.
The trees and I are shaken by the same winds but whereas
The trees will lose their withered leaves,
I just can't seem to let them loose.
And they can't refresh me those hot winds of the south.
I feel like an alien, a stranger in an alien place.

Now the light is fading fast,
Chances slip away, a time will come to pass
When there'll be none,
Then addicted to a perfumed poison,
Betrayed by its aftertaste,
We shall lose the wonder and find nothing in return.
Many are the substitutes but they're powerless on their own.

Beware the fisherman who's casting out his line
Into a dried up river bed,
But don't try to tell him 'cos he won't believe you.
Throw some bread to the ducks instead, it's easier that way.

I feel like an alien, a stranger in an alien place.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-09-2007 03:10:21 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#16 | Back to Top06-09-2007 03:46:32 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

Oh, I should have thought! I haven't seen El cartero de Neruda, but I've been told it's a great film. I think I will try to find that old VHS emot-tongue

Poema 20

Yes yes yes!  That one is my favorite, I'd have quoted it, but I wasn't in that mood right then!  Try to find a copy of the movie soundtrack, it features this poem being read by Andy Garcia.  Granted it's in English, but Garcia truly has a sexy man-voice, and the translation is alright.  And the movie is beautiful, well worth the effort of tracking down.

And a quote:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

How's that for being a Christian nation?

-Truck North

#17 | Back to Top06-09-2007 04:13:13 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

Asfalolh wrote:

Poema 20

Yes yes yes!  That one is my favorite, I'd have quoted it, but I wasn't in that mood right then!  Try to find a copy of the movie soundtrack, it features this poem being read by Andy Garcia.  Granted it's in English, but Garcia truly has a sexy man-voice, and the translation is alright.  And the movie is beautiful, well worth the effort of tracking down.

I will try! I know you would love that poem emot-keke

Stormcrow wrote:

And a quote:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

How's that for being a Christian nation?

How about:
"The neer to the church, the further from God"
John Heywood

or: "It's the church we have lit upon, Sancho." (Don Quixote, again)

#18 | Back to Top06-10-2007 01:29:56 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

random assortment:

"Don't be a KFC. A Kentucky Fried Cunt it's just bad for your image." - Audio Suicide (my friend)
"And remember life is just a series of disappointments" - Toni Halliday of Curve
"Theres just no place for us in this world."- Amy Blue "The Doom Generation"
"You're so fucking money and you don't even know it"- Swingers
"True Story. I was there." - Newsroom

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#19 | Back to Top06-10-2007 01:30:26 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Time for some Babylon 5! I don't care if you don't like it, and I don't care if you don't even like science fiction, J Michael Straczynski is one of the best writers and architechts of long term plotting. Five years of a television show and things that are said in the first episode come back to haunt you in the last one. etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

The universe began with a word. But which came first: the word or the thought behind the word? You can't create language without thought, and you can't conceive a thought without language, so which created the other, and thus created the universe?

If I take a lamp and shine it toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth... for understanding. Too often, we assume that the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search - who does not bring a lantern - sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light... pure and unblemished... not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume that we are the center of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do - or we turn to look at our shadow and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and in all its flaws; and in so doing, better understand the world around us.

We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. But, as we have learned, sometimes the universe requires a change in perspective.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#20 | Back to Top06-11-2007 03:11:15 PM

mefisto767
New Student

Calvin and Hobbes has good quotes!. Here is one of them:

The problem with people is that they don’t look at the big picture. Eventually, we’re each going to die, our species will go extinct, the sun will explode, and the universe will collapse. Existence isn’t only temporary, it’s pointless! We’re all doomed, and worse, nothing matters!

I feel specially gloomy today emot-frown

Last edited by mefisto767 (06-11-2007 03:11:50 PM)

The problem with people is that they don’t look at the big picture. Eventually, we’re each going to die, our species will go extinct, the sun will explode, and the universe will collapse. Existence isn’t only temporary, it’s pointless! We’re all doomed, and worse, nothing matters!

Calvin

#21 | Back to Top06-11-2007 03:27:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

mefisto767 wrote:

Calvin and Hobbes has good quotes!. Here is one of them:

And therefore, Calvin shouldn't have to learn subtraction, or shouldn't be punished for throwing pinecones at Susie, or what have you.  Calvin and Hobbes remains my favorite comic strip of all time.  emot-smile

#22 | Back to Top06-11-2007 03:59:36 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

"Even scientists say, everything is just light, not created or destroyed, but eternally bright."  -Ed Kowalczyk emot-keke

-Truck North

#23 | Back to Top06-12-2007 07:30:08 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

"Forged in the fire, and the fire burns in me." -- You Are The Judas Of The Cheerleading Squad by House of Heroes

"Darkness spends it lonely wings/On the high horizons of our hopes and dreams. / As long shadows grow, now they're fading,
in the twilight of our hopeful waiting. / The tide is rising.
" -- Metaphor in Parentheses by House of Heroes

#24 | Back to Top06-12-2007 10:41:19 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/monomana/EP-9481.jpg

This is the best magnet ever....EVER!

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.