This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:30:29 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Re: NEW FORUM moshiku shikumo

Is there anything to stop someone who has posted a topic with no replies (or with replies, for that matter) who wants the thread gone from going back and deleting the text of the message and changing the topic to "Deleted - Please remove"? 

The message is gone, and any evidence it ever existed will go away as soon as the local mod notices (which is pretty quick around here).

#52 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:39:34 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

I don't want to get on anyone's bad side, but I will say that so far I haven't seen any problems with the current system. I know I haven't been here very long, but so far I haven't know an IRG member to be rude enough to delete threads to piss people off. I certainly hope none would do so.

Edit: Echoing spoon, I'm no ass kisser, but on many other sites there are power hungry mods who are just jerks that definitely go beyond 'following the rules', and another thing I love about IRG is how loose it is, yet the forums makeup is of mainly intelligent posts. Satyr is a great mod, I've never had any problems here.

Last edited by Setsuna (09-05-2009 05:42:02 PM)

#53 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:50:08 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Honestly, I'd like the ability to delete certain posts or topics just in case I mistakenly start a thread that already exists.  Satyr says there hasn't been much abuse of it, so I see no reason to take it away.  That's just my opinion.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#54 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:58:54 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Paradox wrote:

Is there anything to stop someone who has posted a topic with no replies (or with replies, for that matter) who wants the thread gone from going back and deleting the text of the message and changing the topic to "Deleted - Please remove"? 

The message is gone, and any evidence it ever existed will go away as soon as the local mod notices (which is pretty quick around here).

That would be my suggestion too, except that I don't think posters can change the title of the thread itself, which could potentially be an issue. I'm probably not the right person to talk about this, because 1. I can't really empathize with the idea of hiding all traces of a thread, I just don't have the mindset where it's relevant to me and 2. I ... don't make threads at all these days.

But I'm going to anyway. It seems as if the deletion feature was simply turned off without anyone being told, this wouldn't be an issue. Or if it remained on but wasn't mentioned, it wouldn't be an issue. Since it has come up it's become an issue, but it shouldn't be an issue of trust. This wasn't a change spurred by a lack of trust or a need for control, it came about because a seemingly ignored and presumed at best useless and at worst harmful feature should be removed. In exchange, the downside is that someone who wants a thread they made deleted will have to ask someone else to do it for them. That's all this dialogue should be about in my opinion.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#55 | Back to Top09-05-2009 10:09:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Alexandra wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

There's no need for sarcasm.

I can't hear you!  You're so high up!

You're being rude and immature, which I assure you does not help your case here. Shut up.

If this post stomps on anyone's toes, I'm not apologizing. I wrote a whole long post here and then realized I don't need to apologize for a reasonable policy. The bottom line is this: every poster on this forum is responsible for the content they post. Many forums have a fifteen minute lockout on editing posts, but IRG does not. Why? Each of you has the power to renege on material you wrote. What you do not have is the power to retract content other people wrote. Personal accountability falls apart if someone else can be accountable for your posts, which is the case if thread/post deletion is allowed, even if it's virtually never used. (It has been used as a threat before, though.) Anyone who has been here for a while also knows that deleting threads is not something we mods do, either. I have ONLY ever deleted spam sign-up threads made by accounts created entirely to spam the forum. Every other thread, whether a repeat, flame war, or close request, has simply been that: closed.

If the general accounts are able to delete threads, I did not mean for that to be so at any point, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so at launch. My guess is a random forum upgrade dicked with the settings on me and I didn't notice. That's my mistake, but just because a power was available doesn't mean it was wisely placed or reasonable to have. I think we can all fairly agree that each of us should have power over what we say--and that it's stupidly unfair for the power to be in anyone else's hands to delete what you've written. Like I said--even us mods don't do that. You can delete the content you write. If you make a thread and want to delete it, delete the content and we'll delete the post if there's no replies. I'm not going to drive myself nuts coding a feature you basically already have.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#56 | Back to Top09-05-2009 10:20:40 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Giovanna wrote:

You're being rude and immature, which I assure you does not help your case here. Shut up.

I apologize.  I ran out of eggshells for a moment, but I just got a refill.  Thank you!

#57 | Back to Top09-06-2009 10:03:50 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Alexandra wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I apologize.  I ran out of eggshells for a moment, but I just got a refill.  Thank you!

First of all, there's no reason to act like that. They're making points, you are offering sarcastic, unhelpful commentary. If you have valid feedback to add to the conversation, then add it. You are undermining Chani's point and her stands and your support of her does not further her cause.

Chani, I understand where you're coming from. I truly do. But in a community, I place the needs and the good of others as highly as my own -I am the originator of the Non-suited Pics thread and the I Just Gotta Say thread, both of which are usually very high up. What if I had a disastrously bad experience with someone on the forum, and decided to leave in a huff, removing as many traces of myself as I possibly could? I could delete both of those threads -and non suited goes all the way back to the beginnings of the forums. That's years and years of posts, and lots of work on the part of others. What if I had started a thread like the Complaints or Angst thread -places people still go back to and read and feel supported by (I know I do)? What if I left in a vindictive huff and decided to delete those on my way out? Those are threads where people have worked hard on what they say. I don't think anyone should have the right to delete something once another person's writing has become involved. It's not fair, it's not right to take away that history -or to be able to, even- no matter what.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#58 | Back to Top09-06-2009 01:21:34 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Just throwing in a word of support for Giovanna: the idea of allowing ordinary forumgoers to delete posts of others by deleting a thread, even one of their own making is just absurd. Frankly, I think that even allowing edits after a few days isn't very good practice - it's easy to make your opponent look  bad in a debate by changing what you said.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#59 | Back to Top09-06-2009 03:51:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Personally, I wouldn't be troubled or offended by removing the ability to delete threads.  If I really do have an issue with a thread I have created, I can still do this:

I. If the thread has no replies, then I can send a pm to a mod asking for it to be deleted.

II.  If the thread has replies, then I can

A)  PM a mod and ask for the thread to be locked.
        B)  Edit the first post to explain any changes and/or to state why said thread is locked.
        C)  Create a new thread, if all I wanted to do was edit the content of future conversation, with changed rules and link back to the locked thread.
        D)  If not, then post a comment in a thread such as "random thoughts thread" or something more appropriate with an explanation and link to the locked     
                        thread.
        E)  Some combination of the above.

All of these options are easy enough to do and do not delete anyone but said individual's single post. 

Though I do agree with Chani and others that said issue does bring up the issue of trust, I also agree with Sat and Mocha that....well.  It couldn't hurt, right?  And I don't feel, yet again, on a strictly personal level, that this means that the mods do not think that I am responsible.  Just human.  Fallible and impossible to predict. Things happen and better safe than sorry and all that.

#60 | Back to Top09-06-2009 05:44:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

For the issue of editing and deleting posts, I usually edit posts cos of spelling mistakes of some grammar thingy, I often find myself deleting double posts when wither the site of my computer being a bitch.

Hell a few months ago, A_Man and I had to delete multiple posts on satyreyes' request because we derailed a thread.

The last thing you would want to see is this forum beseiged with Orwellian Editors.

#61 | Back to Top09-06-2009 05:51:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Tamago wrote:

Hell a few months ago, A_Man and I had to delete multiple posts on satyreyes' request because we derailed a thread.

That's actually not quite how it happened.  You derailed the thread; I got upset and chewed you out; and you guys voluntarily, without the slightest bit of prompting from me, went back and deleted each and every one of the hundreds of offending posts.  I could have done it much more easily with my mod tools, but I didn't even have a chance to.  It's moments like that that make IRG worth loving.

#62 | Back to Top09-06-2009 06:10:41 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Tamago wrote:

That's actually not quite how it happened.  You derailed the thread; I got upset and chewed you out; and you guys voluntarily, without the slightest bit of prompting from me, went back and deleted each and every one of the hundreds of offending posts.  I could have done it much more easily with my mod tools, but I didn't even have a chance to.  It's moments like that that make IRG worth loving.

Either way, it took a long times, I hope it never needs to happen again especially with this laptop which has an annoying tendicy(?) to lose whatever page I am trying to go to next. emot-gonk

#63 | Back to Top09-06-2009 06:30:48 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Tamago wrote:

The last thing you would want to see is this forum beseiged with Orwellian Editors.

Oh, I think there's a big difference between the "citizens" of a community being able to change their individual histories a little and another "dictator's" being able erase everyone's pasts completely.

As far as not allowing editing posts after a few days goes, I'd say, to a huge degree, it's a matter of functionality to have it and not privilege. Yes, it's terrible for me to be able to unedit my calling Stormcrow a dirty slut from my post, so as to make his response of "go to hell, you filthy harlot" look completely unwarranted, but then what about satyr's magnificent master analysis thread? He'd have to just keep reposting and he wouldn't be able to keep anything in the neat little categories and it'd just be very inconvenient.

And I support being able to PM a mod to delete their own unanswered threads. As far as I'm aware, people don't feel the need too often for this to present a major inconvenience, so this seems like a pretty valid solution.

And for answered threads that need ending? Biokraze enacted this quite perfectly and OITL has explained it quite perfectly. I concur with his actions and her words.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#64 | Back to Top09-06-2009 08:33:33 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

MissMocha wrote:

First of all, there's no reason to act like that. They're making points, you are offering sarcastic, unhelpful commentary. If you have valid feedback to add to the conversation, then add it.

Deja vu, really.

#65 | Back to Top09-06-2009 09:13:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Alexandra wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

First of all, there's no reason to act like that. They're making points, you are offering sarcastic, unhelpful commentary. If you have valid feedback to add to the conversation, then add it.

Deja vu, really.

Okay.  When it's me, that's one thing; when it's Gio, that's one thing; but when it's a user that's a different thing.  Take a week off.  Spend it thinking about whether you actually want to belong to this community.

#66 | Back to Top09-06-2009 09:14:54 PM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

Alexandra wrote:

Deja vu, really.

Certainly that's the case in the way of your commentary. Please stop the meaningless retorts; it seems like you're just trying to get in the last word at any cost.

As for the Shaved Ice set up, I like what I've seen of the transferred threads.

I'd be satisfied with the option of asking one of the mods to delete a contentless thread I started. If something's stagnant long enough to merit deletion it's not as though it's sitting at the top of everyone's updated threads list, so it would be more a matter of reducing what's unnecessary. I'd like being able to edit the content of my posts (mostly like Tamago, to correct spelling errors) and every once in a while delete them (in the case of someone responding first to one of the one liner threads), but I don't want users to be able to delete whole threads that others have contributed to. You want to make an exit? Delete your posts, exit. It doesn't seem that tricky to me.

(See?! I had to add the extra n to unnecessary! emot-rolleyes)

Last edited by moroschino (09-06-2009 09:16:04 PM)

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

#67 | Back to Top09-07-2009 12:45:37 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I have to completely concur with OITL and Biokraze. There are options that don't involve risking a person foolishly deleting a topic. I think that if there were an issue to come up with someone wanting/needing to delete a topic, then we can deal with the controversy when it arises.

So after reading everyone's thoughts, I think we should just remove the damn thing. We don't need it, there are better methods.

#68 | Back to Top09-07-2009 01:59:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It sounds like there's a fairly clear consensus (and Gio is fairly firm), so I'm going to leave self-topic-deletion off.  I know the minority feels strongly about this, and I'm sorry I can't give everyone everything they want.  emot-frown  Everyone should feel free to shoot me or the other mods a PM if they need their topic deleted.  Thanks, everyone, for your input!

#69 | Back to Top09-07-2009 02:10:32 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

satyreyes wrote:

It sounds like there's a fairly clear consensus (and Gio is fairly firm), so I'm going to leave self-topic-deletion off.  I know the minority feels strongly about this, and I'm sorry I can't give everyone everything they want.  emot-frown  Everyone should feel free to shoot me or the other mods a PM if they need their topic deleted.  Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Cool.  I'm very much in favor with this, actually.  No complaints here.

#70 | Back to Top09-07-2009 03:00:25 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Late to the party, but I've brought booze! In the form of an opinion? Boo.

Love the changes. I think four subforums is a nice number for a community of our size and interests. But the only way I would know about this is by seeing how well it's worked so far. Considering the whole RP situation and the high amount of one-liners, the reorganization seems like something which will work even better than the previous system. This method of working along as you go is awesome, especially because communities, people who visit and topics discussed change, so a certain flexibility is necessary.

As for the new/old inability of users to delete whole topics, I personally don't feel any less trusted by the mods. If I'm posting content on the Internet, I accept there's a chance I won't be able to undo or control the way this content spreads or gets modified. So, in a sense, I no longer assume I have control over it. But this is an awesome community, so I don't even think about it that much when I post here. I just hope there won't be any hard feelings over this.

#71 | Back to Top09-07-2009 11:52:24 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

There is one other use for the EDIT feature that has not been mentioned.  It allows you to go to a past post and copypasta everything including the pictures and BBCodes and use it in a new post instead of having to rewrite and link everything again.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#72 | Back to Top09-08-2009 04:24:00 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I don't think I understand.

Is the main problem with "losing" the ability to delete threads that (some) people think it indicates a lack of trust in us? I guess it's just me, but I don't get it at all. Rather, I understand why it shows a lack of absolute trust in everyone here. What I don't understand is why that matters. Is there any overwhelmingly good reason that everyone here should be absolutely trusted? If we should be, why not demand the ability to edit the whole site or whatever....

It's not /our/ site - we just participate in/with/on it. We're a big part of the site, I'd like to think. And an even bigger part of the forum subsection (heck, we're almost all of that section), but it's still not some 100% communal property that /belongs/ to us (despite the common talk about community - which does exist, and is something rather different).

It's a dynamic forum - people come and people go. Even if everyone here /right now/ could be absolutely trusted, there's no way to know that that guy joining in five minutes can be. :: Stares at Prospective Newcomer :: I trust most people here. Maybe not with my credit card numbers, but on a broad level, at least. I don't really think anyone here has any desire to delete my posts out of spite and malice. I think it's probably safe to say the mods have at least this much trust in people too. That's no reason to not do things cautiously though: plan for the worst and the worst won't happen.

If no one's posted you can, at the very least, effectively kill your thread. If you get drunk or angry and post something really stupid that's been replied too, you can probably get someone's help killing the thread if you ask nicely. You should be responsibile for what you say anyways and, as has been said, shouldn't be able to get rid of other people's IP.

Anyways, like Arki, I'm late to the party here. As far as the other reformats to the forums go, I think they're a good change.

Edit: On an aside, I think I've edited this post at least 5 times since the original version, and before anyone responded to it or posted after it. Yay for the edit button.

Last edited by Valeli (09-08-2009 04:35:25 AM)

#73 | Back to Top09-13-2009 05:17:06 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

satyreyes wrote:

Alexandra wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Deja vu, really.

Okay.  When it's me, that's one thing; when it's Gio, that's one thing; but when it's a user that's a different thing.  Take a week off.  Spend it thinking about whether you actually want to belong to this community.

If you're running the show, no, I don't. emot-smile

#74 | Back to Top09-13-2009 05:20:17 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Fair enough!  Then please go your own way.  If you change your mind, you're welcome to come back as long as you can keep from being disruptive.

#75 | Back to Top09-14-2009 09:52:02 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I like how the outlook of the forum changed and there was a fair amount of drama and I didn't notice for a week and some change. Shows how far my head's up my ass.

(then again I haven't exactly been posting like a madman)

I kind of want to say my part on this issue even though it's already been resolved. I think it's a pretty good idea to leave thread-deletion off. I've considered deleting the gripes thread before for purely selfish reasons. I regret making it. I think it makes me look whiny and I regret how much I've posted in it, but then again it isn't exactly my writing anymore, is it? I've made maybe 5% of the posts in that thread and in the meantime I've seen a lot of good discussion go down and some profound emotional outpourings in a thread I pretty much made so I could bitch about my day. It seems like it's less about whether or not the mods trust us and more about the fact that it would be a crying shame on the rare chance that it happens.

Oh look did I just regurgitate what everyone else has been saying? Oops.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

Board footer