This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-26-2007 10:45:56 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

The 52 Book challenge.

Hi.  This is my first topic so stay with me. (Don't shoot me!)

I've decided to start the 52 Book Challenge and I need a little help filling out my list.  For those of you who don't know, the challenge is to read one or more books a week for a year.  My stack of unread books is starting to pile up and I think this is just what I need to start whittling it down.

Reading List (The order is random.  I just typed the titles that came into my head.)

1.    Cell - Stephen King
2.    Lisey’s Story - Stephen King
3.    Ancestor - Scott Sigler
4.    Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword - Tee Morris
5.    Guide to Getting It On! - Paul Joannides
6.    The Dark Half - Stephen King
7.    Climbing Mount Improbable - Richard Dawkins
8.    The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
9.    The Devil’s Chaplain - Richard Dawkins
10.    Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan
11.    The Ethical Slut - Dossie Easton & Catherine A. Liszt
12.    The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
13.    god is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens
14.    Breaking the Spell - Daniel Dennett
15.    The End of Faith - Sam Harris
16.    Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
17.    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.  There's sure to be more I've forgotten. emot-frown

Any suggestions you could give me will be greatly appreciated.  Post some of your favorites or even books you never read, but heard good things about.

Feel free to use this thread to start your own list. emot-smile
(Don't shoot me!)

#2 | Back to Top07-26-2007 11:54:23 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: The 52 Book challenge.

I could never read so many books. emot-gonk
I have a few recommendations though, so if you haven't read these yet you can put them into your list.

1. "Steppenwolf" - Hermann Hesse
2. "Demian" - Hermann Hesse
3. "Siddhartha" - Hermann Hesse

Um, I could go on forever with the existentialistic literature, but for now I'll only post Hesse's work. emot-redface

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top07-27-2007 11:24:31 AM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

I read all sixty Animorphs books when I was in sixth grade. >_>; They were only like, a hundred and fifty pages each, but still.

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#4 | Back to Top07-27-2007 11:28:27 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Oh yeah, here we go: I dare you to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra in a week!school-devil

Seriously though, James Clavell's Shogun is excellent and highly readable. I finished it in three days myself, but that was without sleeping.

PS: has anybody seen the books thread? I can't seem to find it.emot-confused

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top07-27-2007 11:59:17 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Stormcrow wrote:

Oh yeah, here we go: I dare you to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra in a week!school-devil

Seriously though, James Clavell's Shogun is excellent and highly readable. I finished it in three days myself, but that was without sleeping.

PS: has anybody seen the books thread? I can't seem to find it.emot-confused

You mean this one?

#6 | Back to Top07-27-2007 01:10:53 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Added a couple more.

18.    The Science of Good & Evil - Michael Shermer
19.    Why People Believe Weird Things - Michael Shermer
20.    House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
21.    The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
22.    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
23.    1984 - George Orwell
24.    Shogun - James Clavell

Damn.  This is hard!  I thought I could rattle off a lot more than this.

Anyone have a few non-fiction books to recommend?

#7 | Back to Top07-27-2007 08:46:29 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Ooh! Another Stephen King fan? Then you'll certainly want to add the Dark Tower Series onto your list. That will fill a good seven spots! emot-smile

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#8 | Back to Top07-28-2007 05:17:19 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Do you like Agatha Christie? My personal favorite is 'The Mysterious Mr. Quin'.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#9 | Back to Top07-28-2007 05:33:27 AM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Frosty wrote:

Ooh! Another Stephen King fan? Then you'll certainly want to add the Dark Tower Series onto your list. That will fill a good seven spots! emot-smile

I've read the whole series last year.  Loved it. emot-keke

Added some more.  Seems as though I'm in a non-fiction mood lately.

25.    How the Mind Works - Steven Pinker
26.    The Left Hand of the Electron - Isaac Asimov
27.    The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
28.    Men of Mathematics - E.T. Bell
29.    DNA: The Secret of Life - James Watson
30.    The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
31.    Why I am not a Christian: And other essays on religion and related subjects - Bertrand Russell
32.    In Search of Schrodinger’s Cat - John Gribbin
33.    Schrodinger’s Kittens and the Search for Reality - John Gribbin
34.    Quantum Reality - Nick Herbert
35.    Thirty Years that Shook Physics: The Story of Quantum Theory - George Gamov
36.    On Human Nature - E.O. Wilson
37.    The Art of Making Sense; A Guide to Logical Thinking - Lionel Ruby
38.    Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide - Tracy Bowell
39.    Reason and Argument - Richard Feldman
40.    Losing Faith in Faith, From Preacher to Atheist - Dan Barker
41.    Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior... and Feel Great Again - Jeffrey E. Young, Janet S. Klosko, Aaron T. Beck
42.    Get Out of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior - Mark Goulston, Philip Godberg
43.    Bag of Bones - Stephen King

Anybody else thinking of starting their own list?

#10 | Back to Top07-28-2007 09:09:44 AM

Mylene

nvt2125 wrote:

Yes, but first I need to get my lazy self into the home "library" to see what all I already own and still need to read.  That'll cover about 20 books or so.  And then see what's actually available in my local library system, and then see what I want to risk buying (okay, so that'll be anything by Murakami Haruki and Yoshimoto Banana...)

Since you seem to like Stephen King, have you read Rose Madder?  It's the only book of his that I've actually read, but I liked it (except for a weird part involving a mirror--felt really out of place in the overall story) when I read it about 6 or 7 years ago.

#11 | Back to Top07-28-2007 10:52:26 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

If you want a pile of books that are easy to read but are still relatively good I'd recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They're basically the most fun things I've ever read and boy are there ever a lot.

I kind of feel like anything I'd say here would be treading over well traveled territory. Have you looked in the literature thread yet? Everything in there is pretty terrific. If you're interested in more persona/philosophy type things you might be interested in Simone De Beauvoir's work, which is a little dated but still pretty relevant even if you aren't an existentialist. This is coming from the point of view of someone who isn't one, really.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#12 | Back to Top07-28-2007 11:59:59 AM

Mylene

Hinotori wrote:

If you want a pile of books that are easy to read but are still relatively good I'd recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They're basically the most fun things I've ever read and boy are there ever a lot.

Let me second that!  I'm not one for fantasy really (I have some I like, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the genre), but I adore Pratchett's comedic take on things.  Once I get around to making my own list, at least one of his will be on it, probably more.

#13 | Back to Top07-28-2007 03:00:50 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Cerise wrote:

nvt2125 wrote:

Since you seem to like Stephen King, have you read Rose Madder?  It's the only book of his that I've actually read, but I liked it (except for a weird part involving a mirror--felt really out of place in the overall story) when I read it about 6 or 7 years ago.

I haven't read Rose Madder yet, though I did hear it was O.K.  If you would let me suggest the novel that got me reading SK's other books, try Misery.  It was the first SK novel I ever read and still one of my favorites.  Fast-paced, short (Checks bookshelf: 310 pages hardback), funny, and creepy as hell.  You should be able to find the paperback at most bookstores for about $9.99 CAN.  Misery is a very good SK litmus test for most people.  (As always, the book is much better than the movie.)

While I have heard good things about Pratchett and Discworld, I don't want to commit to a series at the moment.  Right now, I won't start a series that has more than three books.

I'm slowly going through the lit thread.  For some reason, I keep putting it off...  I have no idea why... emot-confused

#14 | Back to Top07-28-2007 03:09:24 PM

Mylene

nvt2125 wrote:

While I have heard good things about Pratchett and Discworld, I don't want to commit to a series at the moment.  Right now, I won't start a series that has more than three books.

I'm slowly going through the lit thread.  For some reason, I keep putting it off...  I have no idea why... emot-confused

For the most part, the Discworld books aren't really connected at all.  The first three (Light Fantastic, Color of Magic, and...umm...the other one) kind of do best together, but really, you can read the books in any order, don't need to read them all, etc.  They're just all set in the same world, but that's it.  It's not really a series in the sense of each book following the next or anything like that.  You don't have to commit at all.  I've only read 5 of them thus far, the first being Small Gods.

Thanks for the recommendation on Misery.  I'll probably pick it up at the library.  I think I have The Stand at home (Paradox's) so I might try that as well.

#15 | Back to Top07-28-2007 03:31:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

nvt2125 wrote:

Then you might want to wait on the Hitchhiker's Guide series, unless you're willing to make an exception. OR you could buy the big hardback version with everything in it and pretend it's just one big book. emot-biggrin

EDIT: On the subject of Stephen King, have you also read Gerald's Game, Firestarter, Carrie, and Thinner?

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-28-2007 03:33:22 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#16 | Back to Top07-28-2007 04:55:04 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Cerise wrote:

For the most part, the Discworld books aren't really connected at all.  The first three (Light Fantastic, Color of Magic, and...umm...the other one) kind of do best together, but really, you can read the books in any order, don't need to read them all, etc.  They're just all set in the same world, but that's it.  It's not really a series in the sense of each book following the next or anything like that.  You don't have to commit at all.  I've only read 5 of them thus far, the first being Small Gods.

This is generally true, in as much as any Discworld book can be read independant of the rest. There are 'arcs,' however, where having read previous books will give the reader a better appreciation for some reference. The arcs are generally based on which characters are dealt with, for example there are several books in which Death (anthropomorphised) is the connecting figure. [Although Death also shows up as a minor character in nearly every book.]

Even though The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are the first two Discworld books, I highly suggest starting with something else. The general concepts were still unformed, making them read more like standred fantasy with some interesting bits thrown in. They're my least favourites (aside from Sourcery, I guess.) Small Gods is probably the most stand alone and a very good book to boot. Going Postal is also very self-contained (it looks to be starting an arc of its own) but being one of the latest books it does make a fair bit of reference to earlier works.

So to sum up, if you do decide to read any Discworld, I'd suggest starting with Small Gods. (Or The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents!)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#17 | Back to Top07-28-2007 06:47:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

44. Utopia by Sir Thomas More

#18 | Back to Top07-28-2007 09:50:52 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Raven Nightshade wrote:

nvt2125 wrote:

Then you might want to wait on the Hitchhiker's Guide series, unless you're willing to make an exception. OR you could buy the big hardback version with everything in it and pretend it's just one big book. emot-biggrin

EDIT: On the subject of Stephen King, have you also read Gerald's Game, Firestarter, Carrie, and Thinner?

Whoops!  How did I miss that? *Takes Hitchhiker out*

Thinner is the only one of those four that I read.  It wasn't my favorite Bachman book (The Long Walk holds that title), but I still liked it.  And yes, it is strange that a SK like me has read a lot of his works, but not his first.  Now that I think about it, I seem to be doing the same thing with Richard Dawkins and his first book, The Selfish Gene. emot-confused

Cerise, if you are serious about starting The Stand, you should read Misery first, just to be sure you like his style.  The Stand is one long mother (checks shelf... the uncut paperback edition: 1141 pages.)

Tamago wrote:

44. Utopia by Sir Thomas More

Added. emot-smile

#19 | Back to Top07-28-2007 09:59:53 PM

Mylene

nvt2125 wrote:

Cerise, if you are serious about starting The Stand, you should read Misery first, just to be sure you like his style.  The Stand is one long mother (checks shelf... the uncut paperback edition: 1141 pages.)

I've also got Les Miserables on my to-read shelf.  This is why I could never do 52 books in a year in most cases, I tend to get thick stuff.

#20 | Back to Top07-28-2007 10:11:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

nvt2125 wrote:

Thinner is the only one of those four that I read.  It wasn't my favorite Bachman book (The Long Walk holds that title), but I still liked it.  And yes, it is strange that a SK like me has read a lot of his works, but not his first.  Now that I think about it, I seem to be doing the same thing with Richard Dawkins and his first book, The Selfish Gene. emot-confused

So have you missed a lot of his earlier stuff, then, particularly the ones that were made into his more popular movies?

Gerald's Game is a good read. It's more in the vein of Misery than Carrie or Firestarter in that it's psychological instead of supernaturally oriented.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#21 | Back to Top07-28-2007 11:04:48 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

While Discworld books do refer each other fairly often, it's not to the point that you'll be lost if you haven't read the other books. I'd also recommend Small Gods and another very good one that's also quite self-contained is Monstrous Regiment. Crossdressing abound!

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#22 | Back to Top07-28-2007 11:09:27 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Raven Nightshade wrote:

nvt2125 wrote:

So have you missed a lot of his earlier stuff, then, particularly the ones that were made into his more popular movies?

Gerald's Game is a good read. It's more in the vein of Misery than Carrie or Firestarter in that it's psychological instead of supernaturally oriented.

Yeah, I do tend to drift away from King's supernatural works.  There are exceptions to this (Dark Tower and others), but I seem to get drawn into stories where the protagonist doesn't need to rely on a charm/magic spell/other deus ex machina in order to get out of a jam.  Another one of my favorite authors, Scott Sigler, is very good at creating white knuckle tension and using solutions that don't seem like escape hatches.

If you want to read one of his best books, Ancestor, for free, go here: http://scottsigler.podshow.com/2007/03/19/ancestor-pdf/  He put the entire PDF of Ancestor on his site before the book went on sale at amazon.

Here's Ancestor's summary, taken from the book: Scientists struggle to solve the problem of xenotransplantation -- using animal tissue to replace failing human organs. Funded by the biotech firm Genada, Dr. Claus Rhumkorrf seeks to recreate the ancestor of all mammals. By getting back to the root of our creation, Rhumkorrf hopes to create an animal with human internal organs. Rhumkorrf discovers the ancestor, but it is not the small, harmless creature he envisions. His genius gives birth to a fast-growing evil that nature eradicated 250 million years ago -- an evil now on the loose, and very, very hungry.

His other works, Earthcore, Ancestor, Infection (The best one),and The Rookie are available for free at: http://scottsigler.podshow.com/ and http://www.podiobooks.com/

#23 | Back to Top07-29-2007 03:06:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You and I have very similar taste in non-fiction. cool

Warped Passages, by Lisa Randall, has been on my reading list for a while, as has Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, which is a bit dated but still considered a classic of nerdery. emot-keke You've got Brian Greene there, so another author to look at in that same arena is Michio Kaku. I read Parallel Worlds and enjoyed it a ton; Hyperspace is also supposed to be great, but it's a bit older and things change so quickly in that avenue of science.

On Bullshit, by Harry G. Frankfurt is a nice short one that's exactly what it says and god damn I get irritated whenever I remember I haven't read it.

You've got a lot of science volumes there, might you be interested in biographies and history and such, or would you prefer to read the original works one by one?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#24 | Back to Top07-29-2007 04:05:08 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

One day, I would like to do something like this. But I am a slow reader, so it would probably be fewer books. emot-frown

My favourites:

The Tithe - Holly Black
Ironside - Holly Black
American Gods - Neil Gaiman

#25 | Back to Top07-29-2007 08:21:40 PM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

Giovanna wrote:

You and I have very similar taste in non-fiction. cool

Warped Passages, by Lisa Randall, has been on my reading list for a while, as has Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, which is a bit dated but still considered a classic of nerdery. emot-keke You've got Brian Greene there, so another author to look at in that same arena is Michio Kaku. I read Parallel Worlds and enjoyed it a ton; Hyperspace is also supposed to be great, but it's a bit older and things change so quickly in that avenue of science.

On Bullshit, by Harry G. Frankfurt is a nice short one that's exactly what it says and god damn I get irritated whenever I remember I haven't read it.

You've got a lot of science volumes there, might you be interested in biographies and history and such, or would you prefer to read the original works one by one?

emot-aaa

I love your taste!  Please help me finish off the rest of this:

44.    Utopia - Thomas More
45.    Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe’s Hidden Dimensions - Lisa Randall
46.    Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos - Michio Kaku
47.    On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt

Biographies are ok, but it's been a while since I read one.  Do you have any recommendations? 

Lately my tastes have drifted towards science and philosophy.  I think it was reading The Blind Watchmaker and Unweaving the Rainbow, both by Richard Dawkins, that sparked the changes in genre.

Now that his name showed up, I should probably tell all of you something.
*Does a couple Utena-style leg stretches.*

I'm not really into Neil Gaiman.  American Gods and Stardust were good stories, I'm not saying I didn't like them, but I never had any desire to read his other works.
*Runs like mother****ing hell.*

Board footer