This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-01-2009 04:06:36 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Where do you study?

I'm having a bit of deja vu right now. My senior year in college, I had to finish my honors thesis in two weeks or so, which was a problem, since I hadn't really started it. That's when I found Utena and, getting all panicy, watched episode after episode in an epic moment of hysteria/procastination. (Somehow I managed to get the thesis done and graduate. Was a great surprise.)

Right now my problem is a bit more mathy: I've got to take a placement test for a calculus course this summer. The test probably isn't as hard as I'm making it out to be, but it's managing to work me up because taking that class this summer is really important in my current "plan" of life. My apartment was an ok place of study at first, but as I've moved off the easy review bits into the harder stuff that's all mathy and scares me, I've gotten more worried. The more worried I get, the more I find stuff to do like watching Utena and the less I study. The less I study, the more worried I get... etc.

In college I had this conferance room in the student govt wing of the main building. It was out of the way, quiet, and worked great. I don't really have a room like that here, or a college (although maybe it'd be worth taking my stuff on some day long excursions to the place I plan to take courses at this summer...).

So this post is me wondering where you all study. Maybe there's a clever idea that'll work well for me out there. This post is also be procrastinating because I'm worried emot-frown

#2 | Back to Top05-02-2009 03:15:41 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Re: Where do you study?

I am a MA student reading history in New York City. I should be preparing for my upcoming thesis class in the fall. I still have two long ass research papers and one book review to spit out, and I haven't even read the required books yet. But pretty much like you, I just spend the majority of my time rewatching SKU and other animes. It's weird, isn't it? The more important stuff we have to do, the more we'll push them off.
Luckily I have a small study to shut myself in to finish my work (like days before the dreaded due date). However, even then I will spend half of the time surfing on the net like what I am doing right now. emot-rofl
Really, don't worry about it, things will turn out fine at the end~~~

Last edited by Itsuke (05-02-2009 03:16:13 AM)

#3 | Back to Top05-02-2009 06:58:28 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Public libraries often have private rooms you can check out with your library card, it's worth looking into.

Also, if you have any specific math questions, or if you want to understand any concepts better, please feel free to e-mail me and let me know at jewish_wry@yahoo.com. We're not exactly strangers after all. emot-smile

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#4 | Back to Top05-02-2009 07:02:58 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Itsuke wrote:

However, even then I will spend half of the time surfing on the net like what I am doing right now. emot-rofl
Really, don't worry about it, things will turn out fine at the end~~~

Oh, hello, that's me too. In the end, the only thing that makes me stop procrastinating is the imminent due date and the belief that even in spite of all the net surfing and any other non-academic activity I did purely out of anxiety, I am able to finish papers in time and write pretty good finals. Once I get to this point of wanting to prove myself, I look for the quietest room I can find, with as little distractions as possible. Public libraries, certain cafés, cafe-bookshops, all of them work for me if they are well-lit and silent. If I have more time, working in the living room at my parents' when there's no one else in the house does wonders.

#5 | Back to Top05-02-2009 11:16:25 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I commute so I have the focus problem that I get from studying at home.  On campus I usually study outside the classrooms or the library.  If I'm in the lounge area, I usually get distracted by my anime-loving friends but since I don't see them enough, I usually choose being with them. 

Hmm..Oh, and if it's math, do you have tutoring programs at your college?  Mine does and I used the free tutoring services which helped me pass some classes.  Just a thought.

#6 | Back to Top05-02-2009 11:28:06 AM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

I don't. That's tha. As a senior in a Georgia High School, studying just isn't necessary. But I'm going to college next year, in which case I'll end up studying in my girlfriend's room or something.

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#7 | Back to Top05-02-2009 11:28:36 AM

lazypirates
Anthy Assailer

THE BATHROOM.

Sounds stupid, I know. But you'd be amazed how few distractions there are in the average bathroom. emot-keke

#8 | Back to Top05-02-2009 11:38:12 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

lazypirates wrote:

THE BATHROOM.

Sounds stupid, I know. But you'd be amazed how few distractions there are in the average bathroom. emot-keke

You make a good point.

#9 | Back to Top05-02-2009 11:44:35 AM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

spoon-san wrote:

lazypirates wrote:

THE BATHROOM.

You make a good point.

An unbelievaly good point unless you live in my house. lol. I'm the oldest "kid" in the house. I have two younger step brothers, on a year younger, the other three years younger, and a little sister. There's a 2 to 2 girl-boy ratio. Even though the boys have a 5% chance of walking in on a girl in the bathroom, they choose to just walk in anyway. For some reason the door doesn't lock right and if you shoulder it with enough force, which isn't much, then it comes open.

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#10 | Back to Top05-02-2009 12:25:59 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Also, if you have any specific math questions, or if you want to understand any concepts better, please feel free to e-mail me and let me know

Thanks, I might take you up on that later if the placement test works out and I get in my course. For now, most of the stuff I get (or, rather, get if I can leaf through my book as needed.) Stuff will get harder before it gets easier though.

#11 | Back to Top05-02-2009 02:26:40 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I usually end up working in my room. Lots of distractions there (that I indulge in), but eh.

#12 | Back to Top05-02-2009 04:57:58 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Working alone is the problem here, there's nobody to breathe down your neck when you got distracted.

#13 | Back to Top05-02-2009 10:10:23 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

I read somewhere someone saying that she could not work in a place that was too familiar, and so was continually on the lookout for good new places. I thought that was quite striking, because it fits quite well on me too, and yet I had never noticed the pattern: when I relocate to a new place I tend to get a few weeks of good work done, and then I'm back to random webbrowsing again.

So in the last few months I've made some effort to try out new and different places every so often. emot-smile I'm at a college now, so there are lots of study spaces for students everywhere, but before that I've also had some luck with Starbucks, libraries, etc. I think it helps to have people nearby, it somehow gives me some psychological incentive to at least _look_ busy...

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#14 | Back to Top05-03-2009 07:19:54 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Valeli wrote:

Thanks, I might take you up on that later if the placement test works out and I get in my course. For now, most of the stuff I get (or, rather, get if I can leaf through my book as needed.) Stuff will get harder before it gets easier though.

Oh yeah, that too. As it happens, I'm teaching calc I this summer anyway. school-eng101

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top05-03-2009 05:42:24 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

In bed. I like to prop myself up with pillows and spread out all the books and materials so I can reach them better.

20 threads dead so far.

#16 | Back to Top05-03-2009 09:13:33 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I now find that the Computer Lab is a more desirable place to work in. Given that a lot of the things I do involve computers.

That and my mac has been fairly busted lately

#17 | Back to Top05-04-2009 09:43:32 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I don't study in my room, because I always fall asleep. I generally get the majority of my work done while in transit, while I'm commuting ...which is so strange! o.O
Other times, and I know this is not good, but during a particular lecture that I have, I can always get other work done.

Usually, I study in the library, it's tried and true.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#18 | Back to Top05-04-2009 09:57:12 AM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

In bed. I like to prop myself up with pillows and spread out all the books and materials so I can reach them better.

I do this, too.

I also got a lot of my studying last semester done in my car. I drilled French while driving, but mostly I looked over notes and wrote out html in my car in the parking lot at school. Sitting in the quiet made it easy to concentrate. Also I could study with no shoes on, so... emot-smile

One afternoon before my first French test (I was really worried about it) I walked by the courtyard outside the theater and ceramics room. There's a very pretty courtyard there, sunny with lots of plants and an inobtrusive fountain. I studied there and felt much better, but as it got warmer over the semester it wasn't prudent to try and work there. emot-frown

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

Board footer