This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top03-13-2007 04:35:19 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Re: "Utena Girl Squad" -- This entertained me.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Thanks for the transcript, Razara! It was hard to tell what they were saying some of the time...

But stickler (and fan) that I am, I must point out that it was Hayao Miyazaki that Utena was referring to in the duelling arena. You know, the guy who became all famous in the US after Spirited Away was released?

ummm... i really hate to be a stickler... but i do believe that Miyazaki became popular earlier than that. "Warriors of the Wind" was pretty popular (aka Naussica of the Valley of the Wind). that came out in the us via beuna vista in the early 90s. then of course, there was Princess Mononoke. That film had a fairly high profile of voice actors and got lots of attention years before spirited away. "My Neighbor Totoro" was another popular Miyazaki film before "Mononoke".

but then again... i consider myself to be an anime geek with nearly no life. coolcoolcool

funny stuff though.

We all have our own little addictions.

#127 | Back to Top03-13-2007 05:30:39 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

ummm... i really hate to be a stickler... but i do believe that Miyazaki became popular earlier than that. "Warriors of the Wind" was pretty popular (aka Naussica of the Valley of the Wind). that came out in the us via beuna vista in the early 90s.

While we're stickling... emot-biggrin

The abomination known as 'Warriors of the Wind' (which thankfully I've never seen) was released by New World Pictures, not BV, in the 80s.

Source.

Nausicaa.net wrote:

Q: What is wrong with "Warriors of the Wind"?

New World Pictures felt it could only be marketed as a kid's action movie, so they cut out about a quarter of the movie (the parts they felt were "slow moving") and garbled the storyline in the process. Nausicaä was changed to "Princess Zandra". The voice actors and actresses (see next paragraph for a note about June Foray) said later that they were never told what the story was about and so the acting was substandard. Miyazaki was horrified when he found out what they had done to his film, and Ghibli asks everyone to forget that this version ever existed. Fortunately, New World Video's rights to Nausicaä expired in 1995.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#128 | Back to Top03-13-2007 05:41:19 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

guardian_rose wrote:

ummm... i really hate to be a stickler... but i do believe that Miyazaki became popular earlier than that. "Warriors of the Wind" was pretty popular (aka Naussica of the Valley of the Wind). that came out in the us via beuna vista in the early 90s.

While we're stickling... emot-biggrin

The abomination known as 'Warriors of the Wind' (which thankfully I've never seen) was released by New World Pictures, not BV, in the 80s.

Source.

Nausicaa.net wrote:

Q: What is wrong with "Warriors of the Wind"?

New World Pictures felt it could only be marketed as a kid's action movie, so they cut out about a quarter of the movie (the parts they felt were "slow moving") and garbled the storyline in the process. Nausicaä was changed to "Princess Zandra". The voice actors and actresses (see next paragraph for a note about June Foray) said later that they were never told what the story was about and so the acting was substandard. Miyazaki was horrified when he found out what they had done to his film, and Ghibli asks everyone to forget that this version ever existed. Fortunately, New World Video's rights to Nausicaä expired in 1995.

ya got me!emot-biggrin

but still... to me warriors of the wind was very profound. of course, i was very young, and also thought that Voltron was american made emot-keke

now we know school-eng101

#129 | Back to Top03-13-2007 05:50:30 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

And knowing is half the battle!

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#130 | Back to Top03-14-2007 11:26:17 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

Hina the Prince wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

This whole thing makes me want to do a fandub. emot-redface

THEN MAKE ONE!!!1

I severely lack male voices that would be willing to read the scripts I would provide. emot-frown

A long long time ago, in an internets far far away, I considered doing a fandub or fansub that was basically like 'SKU for Dummies' where I wrote what everyone was thinking. Utena's script probably wouldn't have changed much, but Anthy's? Whoooo...

So make a fansub. Imagine reading the thoughts as you listen to what they are saying. emot-winkemot-wink

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#131 | Back to Top03-14-2007 12:17:58 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

If you need a male voice... I can attempt to record for a male voice then send the file to ya, Giovanna.

im sure i have something that will let me record in reasonable quality.

#132 | Back to Top03-14-2007 02:55:54 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

dollface wrote:

guardian_rose wrote:

And knowing is half the battle!

GI JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE!

<_<

>_>

*dance*

Hat Mafia Member

#133 | Back to Top03-14-2007 02:57:38 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

>_>
<_<
COOOBRRAAAAAAA

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#134 | Back to Top03-14-2007 03:09:46 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

SKU meets GI Joe... hmm...

Akio is too sexy for cobra commander, but is it just me... or is the idea of Utena in camo and a special forces beret really sexy? emot-danceetc-loveschool-deviletc-wankdude

#135 | Back to Top03-14-2007 03:28:09 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

.....does this make Anthy the Baroness?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#136 | Back to Top03-14-2007 04:00:23 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Yasha wrote:

yep emot-biggrin

and touga leads the austraillian biker gang and saionji is a ninja emot-biggrin (not snake eyes... the other one whose name i cant think of right now... the white one.)

#137 | Back to Top03-14-2007 04:42:12 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

Akio is too sexy for cobra commander,

Akio fits Destro a lot better, personalitywise. Well, from the tv show at least. Destro's the smart one who always gets away at the end. Cobra Commander gets captured or goes insane every other episode.  Plus if Anthy is Baroness it's a given Akio would be Destro.

I'm not even a GI Joe fan, really, why do I have strong opinions on this?

guardian_rose wrote:

... saionji is a ninja emot-biggrin (not snake eyes... the other one whose name i cant think of right now... the white one.)

Stormshadow, I think. That fits him pretty well, too.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#138 | Back to Top03-14-2007 05:39:48 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

ooooo! i know wakaba is a girl and all... but she would make a pretty good Sgt Slaughter!!!! emot-dance

#139 | Back to Top03-15-2007 12:56:54 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

guardian_rose wrote:

Yasha wrote:

yep emot-biggrin

and touga leads the austraillian biker gang and saionji is a ninja emot-biggrin (not snake eyes... the other one whose name i cant think of right now... the white one.)

You mean Storm Shadow?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer