This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top01-29-2007 07:19:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Re: Name Name what's in a name your own or one in SKU explained

Tamago wrote:

Maybe you sound different due to being exposed to people who did come from elsewhere when you were younger and you picked up some of their speech patterns?  I know that's why I sound somewhat unusual, because of all the different homes of people I stayed over with while mum was at work, I had been exposed to Indian-Jewish accents, Scottish accents, Hungrian accents and even German accents when I was between the ages of 3-8 years of age and its 'currupted' my Aussie accent majorly.

The thing is that I thought I sounded normal. I talk like my mom and my siblings, so I thought that's how I'm supposed to talk. The explanation I eventually gave myself was that we don't have any discernible accent in my family despite being Black and Southern, and for that matter, country as hell.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#77 | Back to Top01-29-2007 08:22:34 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I guess that the mystery remains then, my dear Raven. emot-smile

Last edited by Tamago (01-29-2007 08:22:47 PM)

#78 | Back to Top05-15-2007 08:41:39 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Ragnarok wrote:

Oh yes, congratulations satyreyes!

Your name is hard to spell from memory.

Just think of it as a compound word: satyr + eyes.  It's supposed to be sort of a quirky pun; to satirize something, you look at it through satyr eyes.  It's a pity the most common pronunciation of "satyr" rhymes with "later" and not with "latter."

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#79 | Back to Top05-15-2007 11:30:46 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Thanks, Sexing! Now we'll all know where it is.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#80 | Back to Top05-15-2007 12:17:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

hyacinth_black wrote:

My own name is Kristeva Daniel Revey-Atkins.  Impressive, heh?  My friends call me either Yuki, Hyacinth, Hamster, or Daniel.  My first name means 'the eve of Christ's death' in Hungarian or maybe German have to ask my mom on that one.  Daniel was my father's mother's maiden name.  Actually, my middle name being Daniel is a most odd coincidence as it was also the name of my dead husband's lover. (who is also dead)

"The eve of Christ's death?"  That seems a little uncharitable, since Kristeva is clearly Christ + eve; it could just as well mean "Christmas Eve," at least to my ears.

Anyway, my IRL name is Brian Nathaniel Auriti.  It has this great dactyllic rhythm to it.  "Brian" comes from Celtic, but it's hard to pin down just where; I've seen it defined as "hill," "powerful," "essence," or "honor," or just linked to the Irish king Brian Boru who was its first notable bearer.  (Also its last notable bearer.  Have you ever heard of any celebrities named Brian?)  I've seen two totally distinct explanations of Nathaniel: "gift of God," from the Hebrew, and "the uncaring," from Scottish.  I don't much like either one, but it's a nice name.  "Auriti" is the hardest of all to define, except to say that it's Italian.  My best guess, based on my scanty knowledge of Romance language etymology, is that it means "golden," or possibly "dawn."

I won't even try to put that all together; it would make even less sense than it does now emot-smile

#81 | Back to Top05-15-2007 12:17:47 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

It's funny.

You know what?

How do i read your names and nicknames in my head. Lol, they might sound completely different as they should sound like.

Satyreyes sounds like... Reyes with the huge spanish RRR... it might be something like "Sahtee RRReh-EE- 's' "

Hyacinth sound like "Yathint"

And ...

#82 | Back to Top05-16-2007 10:04:57 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

satyreyes wrote:

Anyway, my IRL name is Brian Nathaniel Auriti.  It has this great dactyllic rhythm to it.  "Brian" comes from Celtic, but it's hard to pin down just where; I've seen it defined as "hill," "powerful," "essence," or "honor," or just linked to the Irish king Brian Boru who was its first notable bearer.  (Also its last notable bearer.  Have you ever heard of any celebrities named Brian?)  I've seen two totally distinct explanations of Nathaniel: "gift of God," from the Hebrew, and "the uncaring," from Scottish.  I don't much like either one, but it's a nice name.  "Auriti" is the hardest of all to define, except to say that it's Italian.  My best guess, based on my scanty knowledge of Romance language etymology, is that it means "golden," or possibly "dawn."

I won't even try to put that all together; it would make even less sense than it does now emot-smile

Its fine and sadly the only famous Brian i know of is that dog from family guy emot-redface and your last name looks interesting and maybe you could ask the Italian guy on the forum more about your name.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (05-17-2007 07:17:53 AM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#83 | Back to Top05-16-2007 10:11:15 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Is this for real names, screenames, or SKU names? emot-keke Either way..

My real name is Bonnie Maye May. Yeah. My mom and dad weren't married when they had my sister and I, so I was Bonnie Maye West and my dad took his last name and added an e to the end, because he didn't think he and my mom were getting married. People always find my name hilarious, but it's kind of embarrassing. But I've learned to find it more amusing lately.

SleepDebtFairy was a nickname given to me by a friend that I've kind of adopted as my main online SN. My friends and I were gathering around to walk from our regular school to our art school a block away, and I was very hyper and bouncy and my friend was sleepy, and I was bouncing around her and going "Wake up!" Then she started to call me a "Sleep Dept Fairy" because I was trying to keep her awake.

But I was kind of ditzy and naive and I wasn't sure what she meant, but I was too stupid to ask. emot-biggrin So when I used the SN online (I naturally liked it because it involved faeries) I spelled it SleepDebtFairy. I later found out what it really meant and how it was misspelled, but I've kept the misspelling ever since. (It's supposed to stand for "Sleep Deprivation Fairy")

Wow, the analysis for the SKU names are interesting and fitting. It's very fitting that most of their names involve plants of some sort..

The angry princesses = swords, "Princess Shrine" thing for Anthy's name is both creepy and fitting.. emot-gonk So the fathers were wielding around their daughters?

#84 | Back to Top05-16-2007 10:39:09 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

So the fathers were wielding around their daughters?

I can interpret that as a serious case of innuendo/incest/pedophilia... OH. MY. GOD. emot-aaa

Personally, I'd like to interpret my name the SKU way, but I don't know how the idea really works emot-confused
My name is only one syllable, and my parents were, well, not as artistic as some of yours are...

Last edited by Hiraku (05-16-2007 10:41:13 PM)

#85 | Back to Top05-16-2007 10:47:03 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Oh my.. emot-aaa

Yeah, I'm wondering how you interpret your name the SKU way too.. that could be interesting. emot-keke

And whoever said their name meant "bitterness", I can sympathize. My sister's name is Molly, which is apparently derived from Mary, which means bitterness. She is also a Maye May, so her whole name basically means.. "Bitter bitter bitter", while mine means "Pretty bitter bitter." Fun!

#86 | Back to Top05-16-2007 11:41:38 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

So, My name is (highlight folks) Angela Darien Savage

So my first name, Angel=greek for messenger. Not Hard.
Middle name is male. Darien=Persian for 'He who upholds the good' or 'wealthy'. I've always hear it being interpreted as being 'noble, princely, etc.'
My last  name-the most commonly accepted one in my fam.:English and Scottish: nickname for a wild or uncouth person, from Middle English, Old French salvage, sauvage ‘untamed’ (Late Latin salvaticus literally ‘man of the woods’, a derivative of Latin silva ‘wood’, influenced by Latin salvus ‘whole’, i.e. natural)

I am the Natural Angel of Nobility?
Or perhaps the Wild and Noble Angel?

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#87 | Back to Top05-17-2007 06:27:58 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Well, that's kind of close to me. My first name is Sylwester (Silvester in English), which means a wild man, or a man from the wilderness, and my last name, Karol (Charles in English) is derived from old Scandinavian word for a warrior. In many Slavonic languages, like Polish, Czech, word Karol was used to make the world "krol", which means the ruler/king. So I guess, I must be "The Ruler of The Forests" emot-dance

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#88 | Back to Top05-17-2007 12:56:34 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I met someone with the same name as me the other day. My new goal in life is to find someone with the same name and the same spelling.

Apparently she went to a Catholic school, and her mother got really upset because they wouldn't call her "Mary Ann," but instead they just called her, "Mary." To get them to stop, she spelt her name, "Maryann" from then on. My name is "Marianne," so I've never had that problem, and I'm surprised she had that issue at all.

#89 | Back to Top05-17-2007 01:02:39 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Once i met an "Envidia Jimenez" (envidia = envy)

#90 | Back to Top05-17-2007 01:14:53 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Once i met an "Envidia Jimenez" (envidia = envy)

AHAHAHAHAHA

And my video card is an nVidia, christ that's an awesome reference joke. Everyone should envy those who have nVidia video cards according to the company, I guess.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#91 | Back to Top05-18-2007 07:16:28 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Well let's see my forum name is rather simple. Mai Kanzaki is my first SKU (and as far as I recall anime in general) Mary Sue. I some how thought that Mai ment brightness but it really means dance and Kanzaki I grabbed from The Vision of Escaflowne. It means paramount of the gods or highest place of the gods if I remember correctly.

My IRL name is Patricia Jean Wadsworth, Patricia being the feminine of Patrick means noble woman. Jean well I don't recall at the moment but it's the source for Joan so I'm rather proud of the Arc connection. The origin of my last name is lost to me right now but online research years back said it was something like Wada's (what ever that means) homestead.
So a really loose interpretation of my name is Lady Jean of Wada's Homestead. HUZZAH! school-eng101

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#92 | Back to Top05-21-2007 11:13:41 AM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

well, forum name would be rather logical emot-keke; The beautiful panther is Juri's nickname in the manga.

Ok... My first name is... Barbara. In hebrew it means something like "the outstanding" "the stranger" or"the leprous" >>... in german declaration it's called "The unique". Doesn't change the point XD

there's also the latin "barbarus" you can translate with "wild, foreign, stranger"

but it also has a lot to do with St. Barbara of Nikodemia.

The legend of Saint Barbara says that she was born about 300 A.D. in Nicomedia, Bithynia in Asia Minor. Her father, Dioscurus, was the head of a wealthy aristocratic family. Her parents adored her for her beauty, intelligence and modesty. Dioscurus, who was cruel and a pagan, had her shut in a tower in order to preserve her from suitors.

Influenced by the deacon Valentinus, who later became a bishop and martyr, she nevertheless secretly converted to Christianity. Her father commanded that she be built a bath-house, so that she would not have to use the public baths. The design for the bath-house originally had two windows, but Barbara had a third installed to commemorate the Trinity. She also carved a cross into the marble floor.

Her father, seeing these changes, discovered that she was a Christian. Dioscurus went to his daughter, and when she tried to convert him to Christianity he became furious and wanted to kill her. However, her prayers created an opening in the tower wall and she escaped. Pursued by her father and guards, she hid in a gorge in the mountains. She stayed hidden here until a shepherd betrayed her. As legend has it, the shepherd was transformed into a marble statue and his herd into grasshoppers.

Despite being tortured, Barbara held true to her faith. During the night, the dark prison was bathed in light and new miracles occurred. Every morning her wounds were healed. Torches that were to be used to burn her went out as soon as they came near her. But she did not waver from her faith. Her father had her taken to a Roman imperial magistrate during a persecution of Christians, who ordered her to be beheaded, and directed that her father carry out the sentence himself. He dragged her up to a mountain and murdered her. However, after having done so, he became frightened and tried to run away but, according to the story, was struck dead by lightning in divine retribution. This was the fourth miraculous occurrence during Barbara’s long and painful martyrdom, and according to the legend and the Julian calendar, Barbara died a martyr’s death on 4 December 306 A.D. Juliana of Nicomedia suffered the death of a martyr along with Barbara and was likewise sainted.

An alternate ending to the legend concludes with Dioscorus beheading Barbara himself and being struck dead by lightning afterwards on his way home.

Her memory

St. Barbara was formerly one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. Her association with lightning caused her to be invoked against lightning and fire; by association, she also became the patron of artillery and mining. Her feast was formerly celebrated on December 4; in the 1969 reform of the Roman Catholic liturgy her public cultus was suppressed to a purely local celebration, and her name was dropped from the litany of saints.

In the 12th century, the relics of St. Barbara were brought from Constantinople to the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery in Kiev, where they were kept until the 1930s, when they were transferred to St. Vladimir's Cathedral in the same city. Her veneration in the Eastern Orthodox Church remains very popular and her feast day is celebrated on December 4.

In the Spanish language, the word santabárbara means the magazine of a ship or fortress. It was customary to have a statue of Saint Barbara at the magazine to protect the ship or fortress from suddenly exploding. She is the namesake of the U.S. city of Santa Barbara, California, located north of Los Angeles. The Franciscan mission there is named in her honor. There were many churches dedicated in her name in Russia, including the one in Moscow next to Saint Basil's Cathedral and in Yaroslavl.

-----

My family-name is Plakolm. And I don'T really have informations of it, but the roots go back to skandinavia... maybe vikings... oo;

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#93 | Back to Top09-20-2007 12:00:38 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

thanks for explaining about the name beautifulpanther, beautifulpanther I did not know and your real name is neat too:)

#94 | Back to Top10-09-2007 09:53:03 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Ahh..... my name means Disbelieved Mountain Flame of the Moor taken as a whole.

Cassandra = Bright Flame (Greek)

Blair = Of the Moor (Saxon)

Montano = Mountain (Italian)

My username comes from Antheia so...

Anthiena = "Flower-like Goddess" or "Flowery Goddess"

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#95 | Back to Top04-04-2008 07:29:05 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Daria means rich or 'Maintain well; possess and good' either way it's all good.

This is happens when I am borad at work people emot-rolleyes

#96 | Back to Top04-04-2008 10:25:48 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

I kind of like my name, Lydia Megan.

Lydia meaning "from Lydia" in Greek...dammit I wanted an actual meaning not something lame. emot-frown
Megan, as a form of Margaret, meaning "pearl".

Also, people used to get confused all the time, as my mother always called me by my middle name, Megan. Everyone else was always called by their first name, and each time I was asked what my middle name is, and it ended up in an explanation I've had to use umpteenth MILLION times, saying "no, Megan is my MIDDLE name. Lydia is my first."

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#97 | Back to Top04-05-2008 06:13:58 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I officially love my name. A few weeks ago, my religion teacher got a list of saints from the bible with the names, "Mary," and "Anne." The first one I read was about a girl named Anne from the bible. She "reluctantly" married, and after she was widowed, she disguised herself as a man to join a monastery.

In other words, half of my name must be derived from a dyke from the bible! (My teacher looked as though she had made a mistake when I pointed that out.) I've always liked having the name of the Virgin Mother, and now I can like the second part of my name as well. emot-keke

#98 | Back to Top04-05-2008 06:43:49 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

A naming game!?! Count me in! My actual name is Melanie, which seems to be Greek in origin. I couldn't ask for a better link to my name, given my obvious interests.emot-tongue Apparently it means 'dark skinned', 'dark clothed', or 'dark flower'. I think 'dark haired' was also linked to one of the meanings... They all fit pretty well. I love flowers, and in the summer I tan quite dark. There's supposedly inuit blood in my family a few generations back, which would account for my dark complexion(or would, anyways, if I didn't spend so much time indoors.)

My screen name is from Greek mythology, and has several different myths behind it. Adrasteia was either a nympth serving under Rhea, or a synonym for other goddesses. Her name means 'the inescapable'.emot-smile I thought it was neat when I first read about it, but now that I think back, it makes me seem a little stalker-ish...

My family name, Stewart, is of Scottish origin, which is appropriate. Most people who live in newfoundland have ancestors who traveled over from Europe for fish. We're a big fishing community, really - it's pretty much how newfoundland defines itself...

I did read somewhere that one of my ancestors assassinated a member of the Scottish royal family, though, and had to flee the country.

Last edited by Adrasteia (04-05-2008 06:44:08 PM)

#99 | Back to Top04-08-2008 04:01:13 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I know that Katelyn is welch but that's pretty much it. ><

Katelyn is an alternate spelling of Caitlin, which is the traditional Gaelic(Irish) spelling for Kathleen, which is derived from Katherine, meaning "pure". 

Adrasteia wrote:

Melanie, which seems to be Greek in origin.   Apparently it means 'dark skinned', 'dark clothed', or 'dark flower'.

Melanie is the current version of the name Melaina, which is the Greek word for black/dark in general.

Adrasteia wrote:

My screen name is from Greek mythology, and has several different myths behind it. Adrasteia was either a nympth serving under Rhea, or a synonym for other goddesses.

There's a lot of stories about Adrasteia. My favorite is that she and Chronos were born from Chaos at the same time, Chronos as Time, and Adrasteia as Fate/Inevitability. They're often portrayed as two serpents intertwined with each other, unable to let go of each other, as Time and Fate are.

[/mythological geekery]

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#100 | Back to Top04-08-2008 06:50:07 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Raven Nightshade wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I know that Katelyn is welch but that's pretty much it. ><

Katelyn is an alternate spelling of Caitlin, which is the traditional Gaelic(Irish) spelling for Kathleen, which is derived from Katherine, meaning "pure".

Is there a name that means naughty bitch? 

If so I'm so up for a name change. school-devil

Board footer