This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#601 | Back to Top12-21-2009 08:34:55 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Favorite quotes

spoon's dad wrote:

So next time, just tell me when you are going to take a game out of my bag because sometimes I think I might have left it somewhere and then I'm like "Oh, shit.  What now? I lost the game."

Last edited by spoon-san (12-21-2009 08:35:23 AM)

#602 | Back to Top12-23-2009 09:57:19 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Nietzsche wrote:

I beseech you, my brothers, remain faithful to the earth, and do not believe those who speak to you of otherworldly hopes! Poison-mixers are they, whether they know it or not. Despisers of life are they, decaying and poisoned themselves, of whom the earth is weary: so let them go.

Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but that God died, and these sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful thing, and the esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth.

Sharnii's sadness reminded me of this quote. I'm often filled with wrath toward "Christians" who claim they "love" people, but then do terrible terrible things to them in the name of an unseen god. If you "love" us, how about you not make people I care about feel like a fucking mistake because of something so trivial as who they like to kiss. If people like Sharnii and all my other gay or bi friends end up in hell, then I better end up down there with them. In fact, I might even go suck a dick to make sure. school-devil

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#603 | Back to Top12-25-2009 02:14:59 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Unchecked evil grows, evil tolerated poisons the while system. -Jawaharlal Nehru

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#604 | Back to Top12-25-2009 02:29:48 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

My friend wrote:

"I'LL SLIT YOU!"

#605 | Back to Top12-30-2009 05:58:44 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

"I know that using Shinji Ikari and Badass in the same sentence would be like the ultimate oxymoron, but..."
TV Tropes and Idioms, "Took A Level In Badass" main trope page

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#606 | Back to Top12-30-2009 06:08:56 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Stormcrow wrote:

Nietzsche wrote:

I beseech you, my brothers, remain faithful to the earth, and do not believe those who speak to you of otherworldly hopes! Poison-mixers are they, whether they know it or not. Despisers of life are they, decaying and poisoned themselves, of whom the earth is weary: so let them go.

Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but that God died, and these sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful thing, and the esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth.

Sharnii's sadness reminded me of this quote. I'm often filled with wrath toward "Christians" who claim they "love" people, but then do terrible terrible things to them in the name of an unseen god. If you "love" us, how about you not make people I care about feel like a fucking mistake because of something so trivial as who they like to kiss. If people like Sharnii and all my other gay or bi friends end up in hell, then I better end up down there with them. In fact, I might even go suck a dick to make sure. school-devil

And your post reminded me of something I was told earlier this year:

RandomPersonofAwesimity wrote:

"Even Heaven is not worth anything without your friends to share it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#607 | Back to Top01-17-2010 03:27:41 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

From Joanna Newsom's Sawdust and Diamonds:

Joanna Newsom wrote:

I wanted to say: why the long face?
sparrow, perch and play songs of long face
burro, buck and bray songs of long face!
sing: I will swallow your sadness and eat your cold clay
just to lift your long face

and though it may be madness, I will take to the grave
your precious longface
and though our bones they may break, and our souls separate
- why the long face?
and though our bodies recoil from the grip of the soil
- why the long face?

This quote from model Daul Kim's blog right before her suicide has always struck me:

Daul Kim wrote:

say hi to forever

Last edited by hayama (01-17-2010 03:30:02 PM)

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#608 | Back to Top01-20-2010 06:13:06 PM

Schizophonica
Anthy Assailer

This is one that I use over and over and over again said by Joan Crawford, "If I can't be me, than I don't want to be anybody."

"Men have called me mad...but the question is not yet settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence." - Edgar Allen Poe

"Aspire to inspire before you expire." - Barb Ann. Most definately my favourite.

-Alyssa- IRG Student No. 721
I love the sound of sirens screaming in my ear. I love the sound of inmates crying out in fear.
I love the dear old doctor as he draws the needle near, I love my sweet Asylum, it feels like home here.

#609 | Back to Top01-22-2010 03:17:06 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

“He killed off his senses, he killed off his memory, he slipped from his Self to enter a thousand new shapes; was animal, was cadaver, was stone, was wood, was water; and each time he awakened, he found himself once more.”
-Siddhartha, Herman Hesse.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#610 | Back to Top01-22-2010 05:54:40 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Just reading these quotes reminded me...

You go to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Last edited by KillerxXxQueen (01-22-2010 05:55:08 PM)

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#611 | Back to Top02-21-2010 11:26:55 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
        As You Like It. Act V. Sc. 1. L. 34.

#612 | Back to Top02-21-2010 07:02:14 PM

dollface
Website

"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world; not even our troubles."
-Charles Chaplin.

Last edited by dollface (02-26-2010 06:07:30 AM)

#613 | Back to Top02-23-2010 11:57:31 PM

LectitoErgoSum
Juri Jeerer

And I myself upon a swiftly tilting planet
Stand before a glass and tie my tie.
  —Conrad Aiken, "Morning Song of Senlin"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
  —Jorge Luis Borges

Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.
  —Morpheus, The Sandman

This one always makes me smile. emot-smile
"I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one another when the best fruit is."
  —Terry Pratchett

Finally, because it keeps getting stuck in my head:
    The word and nought else
    in time endures.
    Not you long after,
    perished and mute
    will last, but the defter
    viol and lute.

Wish I could remember what it's from...

Who the gods would destroy, they first:
(a) make great (b) give television (c) hand the celestial equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side

#614 | Back to Top02-24-2010 12:07:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

LectitoErgoSum wrote:

The word and nought else
    in time endures.
    Not you long after,
    perished and mute
    viol and lute.

Wish I could remember what it's from...

Wow, I wonder where you ran across that!  Google Books suggests it's from an obscure poem called "Iliad" (not the famous one) by the equally obscure poet Humbert Wolfe.  It's also very good in full:

Humbert Wolfe wrote:

FALSE dreams, all false,
mad heart, were yours,
The word, and nought else,
in time endures.
Not you long after,
perished and mute,
viol and lute,
Sweetly they'll trouble
the listeners
with the cold dropped pebble
of painless verse.
Not you will be offered,
but the poet's false pain.
Mad heart, you have suffered,
and loved in vain.
What joy doth Helen
or Paris have
Where these lie still in
a nameless grave?
Her beauty's a wraith,
and the boy Paris
muffles in death
his mouth's cold cherries.
Aye! these are less,
that were love's summer,
than one gold phrase
of old blind Homer?
Not Helen's wonder
nor Paris stirs,
but the bright untender
hexameters.
And thus, all passion
is nothing made,
but a star to flash in
an Iliad.

It's like what would happen if you crossed Shakespeare's Sonnet 55 with Wakaba's duel song.

Last edited by satyreyes (02-24-2010 12:11:25 AM)

#615 | Back to Top02-25-2010 10:42:29 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Random unknown quotes

Anarchy is better than no government at all.

Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs.

Mediocrity thrives on standardization.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Never lick a gift horse in the mouth.

To a dog, you're one of the family. To a cat, you're one of the help.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#616 | Back to Top02-26-2010 12:12:17 AM

LectitoErgoSum
Juri Jeerer

Wow, satyreyes, thanks! I've got a good few old and/or obscure bits of poetry and quotes in my head, I guess, mostly second- or third-hand.

Where did I read this one...Oh oh oh I know. These are utterly and completely amazing. etc-love They're shadowplays, featuring, well, the shadow play girls, and they're confusing and twisty and chock-full of allusions and illusions to boot. Also, funny. Go forth and read them, I command you.

Who the gods would destroy, they first:
(a) make great (b) give television (c) hand the celestial equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side

#617 | Back to Top02-26-2010 07:02:53 PM

dollface
Website

I like Kinko's, because they're open 24 hours. If it's 5 am and I decide I need two of something, I'm covered! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, and then I think, "Oh, yeah; Kinko's. No problem. That will not remain singular."

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

I saw this commercial on late night TV, it was for this thing you attach to a garden hose, it was like "You can water your hard-to-reach plants with this product." Who the fuck would make their plants hard to reach? That seems so very mean. "I know you need water, but I'm gonna make you hard to reach! I will throw water at you. Hopefully they will invent a product before you shrivel and die! Think like a cactus!" So it said, "You can have this product for four easy payments of 19.95." I want a product for three easy payments, and one fuckin' complicated payment! We can't tell you which one, but one of those payments is gonna be a bitch. The mailman will get shot to death, the envelope will not seal, and the stamp will be in the wrong denomination; good luck, fucker!

I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

If I had a dollar for every time I said that, I'd be making money in a very weird way.

When you go to a restaurant on the weekends and it's busy they start a waiting list. They start calling out names, they say "Dufresne, party of two. Dufresne, party of two." And if no one answers they'll say their name again. "Dufresne, party of two, Dufresne, party of two." But then if no one answers they'll just go right on to the next name. "Bush, party of three." Yeah, what happened to the Dufresnes? No one seems to give a shit. Who can eat at a time like this? People are missing! You fuckers are selfish. The Dufresnes are in someone's trunk right now, with duct tape over their mouths. And they're hungry. That's a double whammy. Bush, search party of three, you can eat when you find the Dufresnes.

-Mitch Hedberg

RIP. Funny guy. emot-frown

#618 | Back to Top03-07-2010 09:00:48 PM

dollface
Website

Ahaha, I post here too much. There are just so many good quotes floating about in the world, waiting for me to find them.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I, or the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one who inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."
-Mark Twain

(And, similarly:) "Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself."
-James Anthony Froud

"All secrets are deep; all secrets become dark. That is the nature of secrets."
-Cory Doctorow

"Happy families are all alike. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
-Leo Tolstoy

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Nothing is easier than to denounce the evil doer; Nothing more difficult than understanding him."
-Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed."
-G.K. Chesterton

"Now what else is the whole life of mortals, but a sort of comedy in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each ones part until the manager walks them off the stage?"
-Erasmus

"Superman is, after all, an alien life form. He's simply the acceptable face of invading realities."
-Clive Barker

"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armor. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time.”

-Frank Miller

"For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won."
-Lucy Maud Montgomery

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."

-Tom Stoppard

"To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly."
-Benjamin Franklin

"I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay."
-Bob Dylan

"I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn."
-Albert Einstein

"I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love."
-Francoise Sagan

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
-Terry Pratchett

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us; and sometimes, they win."
-Stephen King

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it."
-Helen Keller

#619 | Back to Top03-07-2010 11:04:29 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I feel compelled to stand up for humanity a bit here. It is now pretty well documented that dolphins and chimpanzees both kill for sport, and it's been known for a long time that cats torture their prey. But I'd like to see any of them solve a quadratic equation. emot-wink

-Truck North

#620 | Back to Top03-07-2010 11:37:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

dollface wrote:

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln

This quote is true, wise, and popularly misattributed emot-smile  It's actually from Adlai Stevenson -- also a great statesman, if not quite as great as Abraham Lincoln!!

Though Lincoln did say some things I've heard attributed to others!  You know the line about how you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time?  That wasn't P.T. Barnum -- it was Lincoln!  The thing about not changing horses in the middle of a stream?  Abe again!  He also said some great lines you don't hear, like "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."  Hee hee.  Good old Abe.  etc-love

#621 | Back to Top03-08-2010 09:14:49 AM

dollface
Website

Ah, sorry Satyr; I don't typically research a quote to make sure that it is properly accredited, though maybe I should start! You're our resident expert on everything, haha. emot-biggrin

Stormcrow wrote:

I feel compelled to stand up for humanity a bit here. It is now pretty well documented that dolphins and chimpanzees both kill for sport, and it's been known for a long time that cats torture their prey. But I'd like to see any of them solve a quadratic equation. emot-wink

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if any of those animals were to solve quadratic equations! All are evolved and intelligent, especially dolphins. And I suppose I can't speak for the first two, but in my opinion, a cat torturing prey that it intends to eat or use is not the same as man killing animals (or other humans) simply for fun. When there is purpose, I can understand and respect that; but for sport? To destroy something unarmed with our advanced weaponry simply because we can? That's just not an element of humanity that I'm particularly proud of.

#622 | Back to Top03-10-2010 06:54:48 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

A quote dump for a few ones I like from the Gautama Buddha. :nerd:

-Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

-Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

-Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.

-Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

-He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.

-However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?

-In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

-In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

There are many more which I personally find interesting and good to think about, assuming they are really what was said, but I believe I pulled them from this page.

#623 | Back to Top03-16-2010 01:59:31 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Simon&Garfunkel wrote:

I'm such a dubious soul, and a walk in the garden wears me down.

-Truck North

#624 | Back to Top03-17-2010 08:58:30 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves."
- Bill Hicks, "Positive Drug Story

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#625 | Back to Top04-25-2010 01:50:31 PM

dollface
Website

Haha, most of my time is spent studying my script; this isn't so hard, because I love it. etc-love Our director completely re-wrote the entire story of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, making Gudule (who doesn't even exist in the movies and is pretty minor in the book) a lead character. This is one of my favorite parts.

Gudule: Please, you must hear me, you must! She is my daughter, don't you see?! My daughter, who I had lost! Wait, no, look! This is her shoe; her shoe from 17 years ago! I kept it for 17 years! It was the gypsies who stole her from me! I could not believe it to be true, but my friends, my family, all were certain she was dead! If you can show no sign of pity to her, then please, have pity on me! You must, I have cried so much in these years that God himself has heard me and returned her! This night, he gave me a miracle! I will not see God's miracles or my sorrow wasted on death! You could take me, and I would say nothing. But look at her! She is so young, she's barely had a chance to see the sun! Can you not see? I am old, and she is a blessing, a blessing the Holy Virgin has bestowed upon me! Oh, please, you are kind men; you must know that I love her! I would rather myself be gutted than see a single drop of blood fall from her! I cannot see her die!

Frollo: Well then, Sister Gudule... you do not have to watch.

Haha, this is one of Gudule's many passionate monologues that consists of a ton of kicking and thrashing and crying... then Frollo, that heartless bastard, replies so coldly. Haha, I love it!

Board footer