This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-25-2008 07:38:33 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Re: Creepiest Moments in SKU

All of the above.

Creepiest of all to me, that scene with Kanae and the apple. It affects me more than others in part because I haven't figured it out yet. A creepy scene becomes less creepy if I understand, or think I understand, the symbolism.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: the scene where Touga says he knows the truth about him and Nanami but isn't going to tell her.

#27 | Back to Top10-25-2008 11:17:54 PM

Birgy23
Miki Molester
Website

I think it's creepy during the Black Rose arc where the duelists are losing it in the elevator. And if you watch it in the english dub it's sorta creepier to hear Yugi-Oh say "Deeper..." simply because you expect that magician card to jump out and attack the duelists.

#28 | Back to Top10-25-2008 11:19:58 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

My creepy moment was when Anthy stared at Utena with those half-lidded eyes... looked demonic, but that could be because of the music at the time.

Another creepy moment was when Anthy responded to Nanami's comment about her. It felt so... out of place O_O For that moment there, she sounded angry and surprised.

#29 | Back to Top10-26-2008 02:37:13 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Maarika wrote:

Clarice wrote:

Anthy asking Utena completely out of the blue: "Who are you?" And then the screech of the swords. OH MY GOD. I was disturbed for days afterwards. emot-gonk

Seconding this

Thirded!

One of my other favorites: Ep. 26, Miki's new step-mom.

emot-aaa

I think I did a double-take (triple?) and rewinded several times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

#30 | Back to Top10-26-2008 05:26:58 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Clarice wrote:

Anthy asking Utena completely out of the blue: "Who are you?" And then the screech of the swords. OH MY GOD. I was disturbed for days afterwards. emot-gonk

Seconding this

Thirded!

One of my other favorites: Ep. 26, Miki's new step-mom.

emot-aaa

I think I did a double-take (triple?) and rewinded several times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

Oh wow, somehow I'd forgotten that until now. Thanks. D:

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#31 | Back to Top10-26-2008 06:57:26 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

What freaked me out more then anything was the look on Kozue's face when she pulled the sword from Miki. *jibblie, jibblie*

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#32 | Back to Top10-26-2008 08:30:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

The Prince Who Runs Through the Night.

I actually stopped watching the show after I saw that episode. I was so disgusted with it that I decided I was done. It represents to me one of the boldest choices made in the entire show, but the first time through I could NOT handle it.

...That's the episode that made me know for sure I had to publically worship the show in some way. Am I bad? emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#33 | Back to Top10-26-2008 08:41:33 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

I actually stopped watching the show after I saw that episode. I was so disgusted with it that I decided I was done. It represents to me one of the boldest choices made in the entire show, but the first time through I could NOT handle it.

...That's the episode that made me know for sure I had to publically worship the show in some way. Am I bad? emot-frown

No. I had told myself that evening that I wouldn't watch anymore that night and go to sleep, but that actually made me stay up even later. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#34 | Back to Top10-27-2008 07:38:52 AM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Clarice wrote:

...Anthy's Japanese voice actor is legend, dude. emot-biggrin

If this was the moment I'm thinking of, right after she says, "I was watching you while you slept," or something like that, I absolutely agree.  Considering how creepy Anthy can bie by this point in the series, it's pretty terrifying to see Anthy herself wide-eyed and shocked like that.

One other moment comes to mind that I don't believe anyone's mentioned.  It's the moment where Shiori and Ruka are kissing at the fountain, and Juri's watching, and as the camera follows her gaze and zooms in, Ruka opens his eyes and looks right back at her, without breaking the kiss.  It both tells you that he knows Juri's there, and by extension it means he's like, not really romantically into the kiss as much as this is all JUST AS PLANNED.  He wants Juri to see this.  Ruka's hot, but he's a pretty scary dude, I think.

Last edited by Duelist Megu (10-27-2008 07:56:35 AM)

#35 | Back to Top10-27-2008 05:57:49 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

Because I'm too lazy to get out my DVDs and my memory fails me, what scene is in that episode that's so objectionable again?

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#36 | Back to Top10-27-2008 06:15:09 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/14628-1/Series_ep35_059.jpg

That little short clip when Akio's tongue comes out and "grabs" the flower petal....... *shiver* i hate tongues.

Last edited by KissingT.Kiryuu (10-27-2008 06:15:37 PM)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#37 | Back to Top10-27-2008 06:31:57 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I get chills during The Barefoot Girl when you see the frame of Touga riding in Akio's car, clutching Utena's shoe in his hands. Everything about that shot rubs me in the worst way. The fact that we can't see Touga's face, the positioning of his fingers, the lighting, everything.

Also, in The Love that Blossomed in Wintertime, my skin crawls when the flower atop the cactus held by a bare-chested Touga blooms. The sound of the Student Council elevator in the backgroud does not improve matters.

No real explanation for either. I guess Touga just creeps me out frequently.

Oh, and this shot is the epitome of SKU creepiness.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#38 | Back to Top10-27-2008 07:29:41 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

I'm just starting on the Akio Arc now so I haven't seen all the creepy bits, but some I remember:

-- all the flashback scenes where the characters' skins are blacked out. It just really freaks me out for some reason.
-- pretty much every scene with Anthy and her freaky shiny glasses
-- the Black Rose Saga. Nemuro Hall, the dead boys, the elevator, the swords coming out of chests... enough to give anyone nightmares.

That's about it for now.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#39 | Back to Top10-27-2008 08:21:19 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Yeah, I think Anthy's Gendo glasses would freak my shit out something fierce, too.

And I haven't gotten to that point in the series yet.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#40 | Back to Top10-27-2008 08:21:58 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Like_Autumn wrote:

-- pretty much every scene with Anthy and her freaky shiny glasses

Ah yes... we can't forget Anthy Ikari, truly a chilling sight.  She's in charge of NERV when Gendo's away, you know. emot-wink

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#41 | Back to Top10-27-2008 08:26:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Ah yes... we can't forget Anthy Ikari, truly a chilling sight.  She's in charge of NERV when Gendo's away, you know. emot-wink

Oh, I believe it all right... school-devil

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#42 | Back to Top10-28-2008 07:04:04 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

"The rabbits dance, rabbits dance, rabbits dance...all around..."
Gotta love puppetmaster!Anthy. emot-dance Even if she is as creepy as hell.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#43 | Back to Top10-28-2008 10:40:15 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

* Anthy with the candelabra.

*Anthy and Utena talking about posioning each other. Gives me the chills everytime. Esp. in the original Japanese. They're so calm.

*Anthy with that HUGE knife/saw cutting the ice. And then when she goes to hide it behind her back.

* In the first arc, Saionji's episode, where the scene keeps cutting from blue skies to the flashback dark scene of the storm over the church. Something element of the architecture carries over to the flashback shot and the juxtaposition is creepy. 

*When you find out that Mitsuru is actaully planning all those attacks on Nanami so he can save her.

20 threads dead so far.

#44 | Back to Top10-28-2008 11:17:17 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

*When you find out that Mitsuru is actaully planning all those attacks on Nanami so he can save her.

I actually found that funny and cute. I guess that makes me sick emot-tongue

#45 | Back to Top10-29-2008 05:28:29 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Hiraku wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

I actually found that funny and cute. I guess that makes me sick emot-tongue

Sick is when you enjoy the episode where they're reading his diary and the sheet falls off emot-biggrin

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#46 | Back to Top10-29-2008 05:37:21 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Touga hitting on Nanami. Incest is puke-worthy. Period.

*commends Nanami for appearing like she was puking--if not actually puking* Lol.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#47 | Back to Top10-29-2008 12:14:14 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

hollow_rose wrote:

* In the first arc, Saionji's episode, where the scene keeps cutting from blue skies to the flashback dark scene of the storm over the church. Something element of the architecture carries over to the flashback shot and the juxtaposition is creepy.

Quoted for truth.  The part where they enter the church, and see the coffins...and there is the large shadow of a cross laying across them.  To me, the cross' shadow image looks like a great darkness cutting through and dividing up the scene, representing the division between Touga and Saionji that is instigated by what they find inside one of the coffins, a little girl whose situation and attitude link back into the themes of death and *religion commonly associated with crosses.  Add to that Saionji's adorable little-boy voice protesting and Touga's indifference to it...and....*shivers*.  I find it both creepy and horribly depressing.

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 9.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 9.jpg.html

*Religion itself presented as an example of or being symbolic of the theme of dreams vs. reality, fairytales and pre-determined paths, and more specifically for Saionji, the promise of life after death, eternity.  (Blah blah blahI'mrepetitiveblah blah blah blah).

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-29-2008 04:16:52 PM)

#48 | Back to Top10-29-2008 12:20:33 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

The scene where the fact that the Boys of the Black Rose are dead is first mentioned by Miki, and the boys pop up on the screen and turn and look at you.... *shudders* I jerk away from the TV screen reflexively every time I see that scene. Creepy.

As well as the scene where the dead boys start moving and bumping around in their coffins and shit... emot-gonk

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#49 | Back to Top10-29-2008 01:08:37 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

Incest is puke-worthy. Period.

I guess I'm in the same boat as Hiraku (albiet for different reasons). If this is the case, I'm a sick individual. emot-tongue

Last edited by dollface (10-29-2008 01:09:14 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#50 | Back to Top10-29-2008 02:58:09 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Am I the only one that found Touga about to eat a Nanami-stake creepy?  It's in that episode where Nanami starts to think that she's weird and alien, and suddenly she imagines herself as a baryard cow-of-sorts.  Very next scene: her big brother with a piece of meat in front of him, saying, "Let's eat!"

emot-gonk

Also, I thought the end of Shiori's Clack Rose duel with Utena was creepy.  The end of the song was...epic.  Then birds fly as Shiori screams.  It was like Psycho sans the shower, blood, and nakedness.

There was also one Nanami-episode when Utena tries to check up on Kanae and Akio, and Anthy stops her. The thing is, she has a huge knife in her hands.  Then Nanami tells Anthy, "You're the scariest person I've ever met," and Anthy, still holding the knife, says, "Thank you!"

Anthy is creepy and I love her for it.

Board footer