This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-01-2006 08:54:10 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Favorite Anime Directors

Chances are, most of us here are already Kunihiko Ikuhara fans, and rate him very highly. Who else besides Ikuni-sensei makes creations that never fail to impress you?  Here's some of mine...

Akitaroh Daichi - My comedy hero!  I have yet to see a Daichi series that I did not enjoy immensely.  Jubei-chan (1 and 2) and Animation Runner Kuromi (1 and 2) I have seen.  I own Elf Princess Rane but haven't watched it yet, and my collection is sorely devoid of Fruits Basket and Kodocha. emot-gonk  He's also got a more serious series, Now and Then, Here and There, that I probably ought to see as well.  I can pretty safely say that Daichi is the yin to my Ikuni yang. emot-wink

Makoto Shinkai - I've only seen Voices of a Distant Star so far, which was an amazing short film.  I need to get my hands on The Place Promised in Our Early Days as soon as possible!

from Studio Ghibli:
Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata - I think they pretty much speak for themselves.

...special mention to the production company of Triangle Staff:
(which I now see also did Boogiepop Phantom, a series which I will be seeing for the first time soon, and am much looking forward to.)
Tomokazu Tokoro - I had to look his name up! emot-frown  He's responsible for the quirky NieA_7 and the beautiful Haibane Renmei.
Ryutaro Nakamura - Had to look him up too... for Serial Experiments Lain.

(yes, more love for my Yoshitoshi ABe fandom. emot-tongue )

I've also got to make special mention of the director of my second favorite series of all time, Figure 17: Naohito Takahashi.  I haven't seen any more of his work yet, but it takes something special to create a series that threatens to rival Utena as my all-time favorite.

I predict that Satoshi Kon will make my list once I've watched Paranoia Agent in its entirety.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#2 | Back to Top11-01-2006 10:18:09 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Re: Favorite Anime Directors

I predict that Satoshi Kon will make my list once I've watched Paranoia Agent in its entirety.

Yep, you will love Paranoia Agent.

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#3 | Back to Top11-02-2006 06:52:54 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Kawamori Shoji - he worked on Gundam, was the creator of the Macross franchise, and also created Escaflowne. What's not to etc-love ?? XD

#4 | Back to Top10-04-2015 12:41:40 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ancient thread bump!

Confession: I never really got Satoshi Kon and I find Mamoru Oshii fairly tedious after awhile.

On the other hand, I love Koichi Mashimo's work, Chiaki Kon seems to me to be one of the best director's working in anime right now, and Rintaro owns a piece of my soul. All composition-strong, very paced directors.

Katsuhiko Nishijima fascinates me, especially since he hit his panty-overdrive phase, because the underwear is rarely exciting, but it's a great eyepull that makes his action scenes seem faster, and he has a genius for arranging and staging his scenes.

Whoddoooyaluv, IRG, who do you love?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top10-04-2015 10:26:00 AM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

Maasaki Yuasa - for those of you haven't seen him - has an absolutely fantastic art style; he did Ping Pong the Animation and Tatami Galaxy, and I love how daring he is, just artistically.

#6 | Back to Top10-04-2015 12:15:57 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Satoshi Kon is probably my fave. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress were masterpieces. Strangely, I've not bothered to seek out anything else by him though.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top10-04-2015 05:48:00 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Shinichirō Watanabe, of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo fame!

#8 | Back to Top10-17-2015 12:27:44 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Satoshi Kon really was great, yeah. Wish he was still around to save anime at the times when Ikuhara isn't. Ryutaro Nakamura certanily produced some great stuff as well, like Lain and Ghost Hound. I usually see ABe and Konaka credited for Lain more than the director, though.

Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Masaaki Yuasa and Mamoru Oshii all occupy this void of "i really respect these creators and want to see their stuff, but haven't actually done much of that seeing." (Except for Tsurumaki's FLCL, of course. and Yuasa's Adventure Time episode.)

Miyazaki and Takahata are pretty neato, but I sometimes get saddened at how much Ghibli overshadows other anime. Still great, of course.

Last edited by Arale (10-17-2015 12:28:23 AM)

im a shadow play girl irl

#9 | Back to Top01-21-2016 10:14:20 AM

Llarian
Miki Molester
Website

Crystalline_Dream wrote:

Shinichirō Watanabe, of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo fame!

As a raging Champloo fan, I'm forced to agree.  His approach creates the stuff we know and love - he says 'make all the little pieces and we'll make it work!'  A very unusual approach to animation, anyway.

Mamoru Oshii is one of my favorites.  He directed Ghost in the Shell and Innocence, as well as having a hand in the Blood: The Last Vampire film and the Blood+ anime series.

What's the point? Art is so useless. It's such a waste of time!
And it's not like anyone else ever wastes time. It's not like you spend hours in front of the television or the computer accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Oh wait.

Board footer