This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-21-2009 08:21:26 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Utena and...The Truman Show?

Months ago (probably six months ago?), after the exams were over, my psychology/sociology class watched The Truman Show. I'm not sure why, but there we go. At the end of the film, when (spoiler if you haven't seen the film), when Truman leaves for the real world in which he won't be filmed 24/7, I was reminded of Utena-particularly the movie, with the main characters leaving the illusionary world of Ohtori and going into the real world. The similarities ended there, I'm sure, but it kind of took me by surprise. I know this is something that isn't necessary of being posted, but I just wanted to share that with you guys. Yeah, I'm lame.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

#2 | Back to Top07-21-2009 08:45:57 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Utena and...The Truman Show?

[One should assume this thread in itself will be a spoiler]

It's not an absurd connection by any means and in a lot of ways, I can see the connection.  The world of Ohtori is largely a product of illusion like Truman's world.  Akio is resemblant to the director and both are akin to evil god figures.  Utena, like Truman, is unaware of the fact that she is being strung along by pre-planned delusions.  Both evils stand in the way between them and the one they love.  And when both realize what is going on, they seek escape from such an existence.

#3 | Back to Top07-22-2009 11:34:22 AM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

And they succeed at the escape too, so all in all, a happy ending? I think the thread itself may be a spoiler. Aw. Didn't realize.

#4 | Back to Top07-22-2009 11:55:03 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

With the spoiler, I meant to say that anyone should know it would contain spoilers and should have enough common sense to not read if they had a problem with that.  I think that would be true for any thread comparing Utena to something.  But the thread itself is not a problem but with or without spoiler tags, I'd have a problem with someone having a problem.  See?

#5 | Back to Top07-22-2009 09:51:03 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Um...I think so, yeah. emot-tongue

Board footer