This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-31-2008 01:16:08 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Summarizing Utena

I was having dinner with someone who likes comics but knew nothing about Utena, so I tried to explain the show. Near the end of the meal I noticed his plate was empty, mine was full, my mouth hadn't closed, his hadn't opened, and I still didn't feel like I had gotten to describe the "essence" of the show properly! emot-rofl

My pathetic attempt went something like, so there's this girl, she wants to be a prince. Well, because her parents died and she crawled into the coffin with them but wait, there was this guy, he was a prince, maybe, I mean, at the end, you aren't really sure, well you don't know at the  beginning either, was it a ghost or a guy? That's a whole other story! In anycase, he gives her a ring and she ends up going to a school where there's this other girl who seems trapped, but she likes it, because people duel, but they are really important. Each duelist has an issue they're dealing with, very troubled, lots of backstory there.... and on and on, very poor attempt. =/

SO, how would any of you briefly describe SKU to someone in a hurried social setting? Is there any way to gather all the key points and put them into a brief synopsis, conversationally speaking?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#2 | Back to Top01-31-2008 01:47:17 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Re: Summarizing Utena

First off, if I were explaining the show to a guy, it'd be much different than explaining it to a girl. It has been harder in my case to get guys to become interested in this anime. For girls, it's been MUCH easier. No duh, huh?

Explaining to a guy: "The anime is extremely complex with lots of twists and turns that will keep you guessing. Everyone in the show is bisexual and most of characters tend to have extremely loose sexual morals. Incest is impled and expressed also, so you may wanna watch for that. It's not all serious, of course. It has a good amount of funny and very very random moments that will make you laugh your ass off your back. So, it's up to you, but it's an anime worth experiencing." emot-biggrin

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#3 | Back to Top01-31-2008 02:14:07 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

You didn't even get to the surfing elephants! school-devil

I bet you could do a pretty good job of it by using tvtropes, but the person on the recieving end would need to know what the terms meant.

Something like: Utena is a shojo series with a Rose Motif about an Extraordinarily Empowered Girl named Utena. She meets Anthy who is a sort of Magical Girl who has Scary Shiny Glasses and a Non-human Sidekick. Anthy is treated as a prize by an Absurdly Powerful Student Council (which act as a warped Five Man Band) in their duelling game which Utena gets stuck in the middle of.

On a deeper level, the series is actually a subtle Parody of shojo anime and twists many of the standard cliches, especially that of Princes. Major themes are Brother/Sister Incest and Parental Abandonment. Utena gets Frills of Justice during the Stock Footage before each duel. It also comes across as having Schoolgirl Lesbians because Everyone is Bi. Aside from the duelling episodes (which emphasize members of the Student Council and others in turn) presented in a loose, three arc Tournament style, there are also Filler episodes such as when Anthy is revealed to be a Lethal Chef who makes a meal causing a Freaky Friday.

... and so forth. cool

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#4 | Back to Top01-31-2008 03:07:59 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

USED TVTROPES TO DISCRIBE SKU

Thats pretty cool but you cannot completely explain SKU without mentioning Nanami who is afterall The Libby who is a bit of a Princess who becomes a Clingy Jealous Girl when it comes to her Big Brother.

(I wish I had the time to find more links that discribe all the Namami episodes including the Cowbell of happiness and Nanami's Egg as well as the Surfing Elephants, but I have to get to work soon.)

#5 | Back to Top01-31-2008 03:17:06 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Ragnarok wrote:

I bet you could do a pretty good job of it by using tvtropes, but the person on the recieving end would need to
know what the terms meant.

Bravo ! I love the TV tropes site, especially the anime tropes.  I even added a few Utena ones myself. Damned if I can remember which ones.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#6 | Back to Top01-31-2008 04:04:54 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

In traditional faerie tales, girls are princesses, wooed and rescued by princes. Girls in faerie tales that cannot be princes, however, are witches. They have no choice but to be witches. Utena is the story of a girl who threw this dynamic out the window and decided instead to be a prince. This story is told amongst a series of duels at an exclusive private academy. By winning a duel, the victorious swordsman or swordswoman becomes the One Engaged to a girl known as The Bride of the Rose. When all the duels are fought and over, the one who is One Engaged will gain the Power to Revolutionize the world.

As bad and convoluted as this sounds, I've gotten more people to watch the series based off that description than any other I've come up with.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#7 | Back to Top02-02-2008 09:17:01 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Thanks, thanks, good ideas! Funny too!

And BRV, interesting point. I'd feel like I wanted to describe the show differently to guys vs. girls. I've always found it easier to get guys interested in watching, the girls I know who like anime are into the tame Fruits Basket/Boys Over Flowers schoolgirl romances so it's hard to describe the Lain-ish, strangeness qualities and make them seem appealing.

Ashnod, it's true! Your paragraph makes ME want to rewatch Utena right now! emot-biggrin

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#8 | Back to Top02-02-2008 11:30:51 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

All the wierdness in the show is one of it's neatest parts (imo, at least). Trying to explain how that works is exceedingly difficult though, because it's all so completely subjective to the viewer. I'd probably not go into it /too/ much when trying to give a broad description to get someone interested. I'd just go on the basic plot/ideas behind the show, and mention that it uses some of those strangeness techniques as well.

Seeing all those scenes for the first time was a real treat anyways, I wouldn't want someone to have spoiled them for me beforehand. emot-tongue

#9 | Back to Top02-05-2008 08:01:09 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

It is a fairy tale about a Princess in distress and the callow Prince who is trying to rescue her. However there are a number of complications – for one thing the Prince is a girl. She is Utena Tenjou who became orphaned when she was seven. Her aunt told her that her parents had gone on a long journey but one day Utena realized that they were dead. Shattered, she ran off and came to a lake. Not really knowing what she was doing she jumped in and nearly drowned; but a Prince rescued her. He comforted her and admonished her to do her best to live a noble life. He kissed her and gave her a ring and vanished, but he promised that the ring would bring them back together some day.

However Utena was so smitten with him that she decided to become a Prince herself! She starts dressing like a boy and does everything she can to be a Prince. At age 14 she follows a trail of clues to Ohtori Academy where she enrolls. Utena is strong, good-natured and even a bit charismatic and her tomboyish ways make her a big hit with the other girls on campus. All is well until she sees a member of the Student Council abusing his girlfriend. No one else cares but Utena seethes. One thing leads to another until one day she tries to intervene. He challenges her to duel him secretly in an arena that is invisible from outside. Against great odds she defeats him and suddenly discovers that the girl will now become her servant. The girl, Anthy Himemiya, is being passed around by the members of the Student Council to be the “Rose Bride” of the winner and now she belongs to Utena! Anthy is beautiful but easily dominated; the other duelists continue the game because Anthy possesses a magic sword that emerges from her heart whenever a duel begins. The sword seems to be of no use to Anthy but they believe that the one who can keep Anthy and her sword against all comers will eventually win fabulous magical powers.

Utena is horrified and outraged but is warned that if she tries to stop the duels she will “disappear” from the campus and won’t find the Prince she seeks. Anthy won’t stand up for herself and the other duelists won’t stop trying to take her. Utena now is truly playing the role of a Prince trying to rescue a Princess. But the duels become increasingly dangerous, complicated plots are set in motion, secret agendas swirl around her, secret identities are revealed, her Prince remains elusive and, worst of all, evidence begins to accumulate that the Rose Bride may actually be a Witch.

In this upside-down fairy tale (even the castle is upside-down) many questions are asked and occasionally answered. What does it mean to be a Prince or a Princess or a Witch? What is Adulthood and how does one keep the ideals of childhood as one grows up or must adulthood inevitably mean cynicism? What is Love? What is Nobility? What is Friendship? What is Crime and what is Justice? What is Victory? What is Immortality and at what cost does one pursue it? At what cost does one pursue love and how does one tell the difference between love and egotism.

The animation is good for its time and very imaginatively conceived and the music is memorable. The story whipsaws between comedy, tragedy, and melodrama and there is a lot of character development, or perhaps more accurately character revelation. Not all red herrings are resolved, not all questions are answered and the symbolism is very dense, both in quantity and kind. The complex symbolism and certain Sophoclean motifs occasionally become claustrophobic but there is emotional satisfaction and catharsis. The intellect is entangled and the heart gloriously set free.

#10 | Back to Top02-06-2008 03:26:51 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Imagine quickly summarizing as your poor Advanced Writing course teacher is about to delve into 20 pages of character analysis.  I think I just used "...is a symbol for..." way too much to prove this was an intellectual masterpiece and not just a cartoon. emot-smile

#11 | Back to Top02-06-2008 03:50:37 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

My friends don't care about symbolism or the subversion of dominant clichés. emot-rolleyes I usually say something along the lines of, "Everyone's incestuous, gay, or both." and allow them to be amazed at the fact that it's not total crap.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#12 | Back to Top02-06-2008 05:33:33 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Someone actually asked me that, and I said: "It's a story about illusions and trust; and the strings one will pull to get what they want."

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#13 | Back to Top02-08-2008 08:50:35 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

If they're not someone I expect to watch the series, I summarize thusly:  "It's about challenging gender roles, learning to escape abusive relationships, and how love between women can revolutionize the world."

#14 | Back to Top02-08-2008 10:02:31 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

for girl: It's a psychological story about maturity. It beginns as a fairytale, but don't judge this show too fast.

for boy: Lesbians and incest.

#15 | Back to Top02-08-2008 05:14:51 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

It starts out as a normal cute shojo show.

And then turns into Sweet Dreams in anime form, plus incest and bisexuality.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#16 | Back to Top02-08-2008 08:46:54 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I'm terrible at describing Utena. I just can't do it.

Every once in a while I practice it in my mind, but I keep adding things to it, and before long I've been thinking to myself for at least fifteen minutes. But I usually keep the phrase "Postmodern fairy tale" ready, and then slap my hands over my mouth before I get too mired in details.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#17 | Back to Top02-10-2008 02:48:41 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Double post update:

Well, it seems I best get people interested in Utena on accident. I was joking around with a friend of mine and, another friend overheard me saying, "So what? She has animals in her room, keeps a sword in her chest and has sex with her brother every week."

The immediate response: "Do you... have this series on DVD?"

#18 | Back to Top02-10-2008 10:44:51 PM

VerboseWordsmith
Wakaba Wrangler

I've spent a lot of time trying to summarize Utena the past couple of months. Last October I decided that Utena was going to be one of the shows I was looking for for a final paper, then I would up writing the entire paper about SKU. At some point I had to pitch it to my professor and then in my paper I had to give an overview before I started talking about gender roles and trio dynamics and god knows what else (I wrote 15 pages about sex, gender, and Utena in about 10 hours after a full day of classes and random last minute research, I've been afraid to read it again).

SKU has been described as an allegorical post modern fairy tale full of symbolism and metaphor. The basic plotline is Tenjō Utena comes to Ohtori Academy and seemingly though happenstance becomes involved in the school’s elite secret society who duel to posses the Rose Bride and through the Power of Dios, revolutionize the world. Things are much more complicated than that, many things are illusions, and the ending is ambiguous at best. SKU is, to use the TV Tropes Wiki terminology, a serious mindscrew. It is also very pretty and full of references, allegories, and symbolism. A quick glance at one of the more active message boards reveals fans analyzing the Jungian and Freudian symbols, bringing up Joseph Campbell’s myth theories, Buddhist and Hindu concepts, Biblical allusions, and at least one mention of Nietzsche.  Shoujo Kakumei Utena is not for the faint of heart, or at least it is not for the people who do not like thinking deeply about things and coming to their own conclusions

That's from my paper. Obviously not a good summary of the series. And yeah, I was talking about IRG there, I believe I have a footnote about the forums and a link. That came 6 pages in, after an overview of anime/mange history and a bunch of stuff about shoujo anime and how Utena fit into that. While I was researching for this paper and watching the series for the first time, I knew I had to convince my friends to watch it. I've gotten three of them to watch it, so I'm making progress. I have the (dis)advantage of being at one of those small alternative liberal arts colleges. From about day one, we're talking about postmodernism and hegemony, all the -isms and a lot of us are at least passingly familiar with major works by Freud, Jung, myth theory, cultural studies, and media studies theory. So I can talk about how it's a postmodern fairy tale that subverts everything ever and how it's an incredibly queer text that really messes with the binary and everyone knows what I'm talking about. I can talk about symbolism and I can talk about some of the history of anime/manga and how it's a parody of magical girl anime and connections with American culture, and everyone's on the same page. Most of my friends think that's pretty awesome, so it's largely been a matter of sitting them down and watching Utena.

I'm trying to figure out how I'd summarize the show to someone who isn't so firmly grounded in academia/geekery. It's really hard. In general I guess I'd say that SKU is a very surreal series about a girl who wants to be a prince and the strange things that happen on her quest and nothing can ever really be taken quite at face value. I'd want to tailor that to specific individuals, though. I know some people who would be all about the lesbians, some who would see it because of how well the duels are done (or not) and the music, and so on.

Last edited by VerboseWordsmith (02-10-2008 10:52:33 PM)

#19 | Back to Top02-10-2008 11:09:04 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

It sounds good, but I'm just usually bothered by people who say that people "who don't like to think about deep things" wouldn't appreciate a show, because usually they apply it to shows that you need the awareness of a moldy cantaloupe to comprehend, like Death Note, and when I say I don't like said shows. "You don't like it? Well, that's okay. Not everyone likes deep, intelligent stories." emot-rolleyes

However, I'd say that this applies in a much more accurate sense to Utena. You can watch it without thinking much about the symbolism and the inner workings of the story and still enjoy it, but you'll get a much different experience.

#20 | Back to Top02-11-2008 05:54:58 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

... I'm really, really awful at summarizing things, and I've never once explained Utena coherently(I usually give up trying to and just show people AMVs). Last week I tried to describe it to my prof as preparation for my class project, and I ended up telling her it was about a fallen angel figure who tries to corrupt the innocent while accompanied by a 'succubus' character with a twist. It was pretty awful.

But the summaries in this thread are really great, and concise - would it be ok if I took some phrases from her for my SKU school project I'm working on? I want to be able to point out most of the important symbolism and themes while making sure people understand the basic story.

#21 | Back to Top02-11-2008 09:27:08 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

As long as you follow your teacher's guidelines for bulletin board citations you are probably free to quote anyone you want.

#22 | Back to Top06-15-2008 07:58:13 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I've been thinking how to summarize Utena to get more people into it. And it's so hard because there are so many things in it!

And then I realised the Utena game OP makes a perfect trailer. Seriously. It has everything from Miki's piano to Touga/Saionji/Akio and curry explosions. emot-biggrin

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#23 | Back to Top06-15-2008 11:38:25 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

I managed to get my friend interested in the movie by saying that Akio flips over cars and Utena turns into one. But she has a quirky sense of humor, so I don't think that will work twice.

#24 | Back to Top09-18-2008 09:27:57 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

How I'd summarize it to get someone watching:

Hot people with brightly colored hair have sex, and talk shit at each other.
Their world is shown to be a tragically f'ed up place, where everyone is empty inside. Remind you of ours?
The hero is an idiot and the villains are love-interests, and if you watch for long enough it will 'F' up your world.
You won't expect what it can do to your head.
Watch it only if you have the guts.

#25 | Back to Top09-19-2008 02:24:20 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I think I posted this once.
I dunno if this counts.
It's a bit long.

http://allegoriest.livejournal.com/53774.html

My utena bedtime story. (I'm Leeneface, yes.)

For the record, the girl I told it to saw since its my hobby thing to bond with me it but isn't NEARLY as into it.
The first poster also has no idea what it is WHOO.

Board footer