This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-23-2010 02:17:37 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Who really IS the main character? (Open Discussion)

After reading a few of the analysis essays on the net i've slowly started to form a sense of how i feel about each of the characters involved in SKU. While partaking in the many discussions (and sometimes hilarious re-creations) whilst posting here at IRG i have seen many sides of each character from the viewpoints of many. I've heard massive touga bashing to intensive juri supporting; anything from utena's sexual orientation to anthy's desire (or lack there of) to be with her brother. So far, as every one of us here has come to understand, i've learned that Utena is a show designed for speculation, discussion, and open-minded interpretations of the events that occur.

This show has always stuck on me because i could sit for hours and debate over what it all means and how each thing symbolizes something else.  In all honesty, SKU is a playground for those who have super deep personalities.... So lets play:

I posed a question in my title, who really is the main character of SKU? While we all know that Utena's name is in the freakin' title; i'm not so sure that this story is so much "about" her as it is "through" her. It's almost like saying the Revolutionary War (no pun intended) was called George Washington's war, yes... he was there... and yes he was a major player & character, but was he the only one?

Utena has always been my favorite; but i could always understand each of the other characters through their own backgrounds.

The story has been going on long before Utena arrived and *could potentially* be carried on after she leaves. Yes, she is the "main character" for which we view the show and see what happens... but how many other people are affected and are just as important players in the show.

Anthy, for one, seems to be in the midst of everything... Her actions cause each of the characters pain, happiness, sadness, confusion, and many other things. Saionji seeks her for his *love*, Touga seeks her for the *power*, Juri seeks her for the *proof*, Miki seeks her for his own genius and *talent*, and Nanami seeks her to eliminate the threat anthy holds on *touga*, while Utena seeks her only to fulfil her idea of a *prince* and being different.  Anthy presents herself to be the sacrificing, unopinionated person; yet when Touga has regained control of her and fights utena for a second time Anthy removes her "special-magical-blood-forcefield-power-increasing-sword-attack-thingie" and allows utena to win. Or how about when she tries to throw herself from atop the building? did she do it knowing what her brother would do, or because of the torment she felt inside, or maybe it was part of her plot to draw Utena in even further...

My point is, Anthy seems to be a very intricate and delicate part of this whole process... and in the end it is HER we see leaving from Ohtori, not Utena on a stretche nor the student council throwing their rings away. We se Anthy make the revolution in essence... granted, Utena was the "catalyst" (yeah i said it), but Anthy finalized the deal, she saw it to the end... One whom cries out for revolution may not live to see it fulfiled. Martin Luther King Jr. is a perfect example of this same feat... he called to his fellow country men asking for freedom and equal rights, yet he was unable to see it through... MLK was a major player in the civil rights movement, yet he did not complete it. It took his inspiration and determination to cause others to carry out *his dream* (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr. )

Therefore who is the main character in your eyes? Or is it a multi-headed beast? Maybe its all about Chu-Chu... Let me hear your thoughts.

NOTE::: This is just one aspect i see, one posibility... not THE answer. i would just like to discuss the depth of the show  more deeply  emot-wink :::

#2 | Back to Top02-23-2010 03:04:22 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Who really IS the main character? (Open Discussion)

Well, there is the idea that Anthy and Utena are of equal importance - 'they are two halves of the same woman.' Utena is all the nobility of innocence and ideal associated with childhood, while Anthy is the regret and stagnation of an adult bitter over the loss of that innocence and passion.  [Their beds are two halves of a complete circle.]

And while Anthy may seem like she went through the most dramatic change, it could not have happened if it were not for Utena's own self-actualization to inspire her with hope.   So, while Anthy does play a huge hand in the series and affects/manipulates everyone, Utena does so as well [Utena protecting Anthy in Saionji's Akio Arc Duel did have an effect on him].  Utena and Anthy help each other, they both change for the better at the end of a long road as the result of knowing the other, though sometimes that was unintentional or painful.  And while Anthy did help mature Utena, so did other characters and experiences, while it can be argued that Utena was the sole person to truly help or affect her [for the better].  Remember that even though the last scene involves Anthy, she's wearing a pink dress, symbolizing wholeness, a reconciliation of childhood dreams and the reality of adulthood; the acceptance of lost childhood dreams while still being able to hope for and look towards a happy future.

Plus, a lot of Anthy's personality and motives are hidden for a greater part of the show, while the viewer knows exactly what is going on in Utena's head.  Thus, we view the show and it's events through her eyes, making her the main character.

Train of thought, where did you go?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-10-2010 01:32:52 PM)

#3 | Back to Top02-23-2010 05:50:35 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

I'd say Anthy and Utena are fairly equal players, because I always thought they were kind of intended to be an example of duality.  There are a number in the show: prince/princess, princess/witch, boy/girl (many of which are subverted by the end).  Initially, they seem to be designed and intended as opposites: Utena is fair with pink hair, Anthy has dark skin and purple hair.  Utena is more tomboyish, Anthy is very feminine.  Utena is outgoing, Anthy shy and introverted.  Etc.

I agree with the idea of them being "two halves of the same woman."  Either one has what the other lacks, and they complete each other.*  By the end, Anthy has learned enough from Utena that she can break free of Ohtori.  And Utena learned what it actually meant to be a prince: she couldn't be doing it for herself.  She had to become a prince for someone she loved.

* Dawww. etc-love

#4 | Back to Top02-23-2010 06:03:59 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Just wanted to add the interesting point that the only two characters appearing in every episode are Utena and Anthy. emot-biggrin

Aside from that I think Utena is the main character. She's the impetuous - SKU is about her desire to find vs be a prince. Yes, Anthy (and Akio!) are massively caught up in that (manipulating that), and yes other duelists are affected. But Utena is the one who the audience ever asks the underlying question of:

Will she be the one to revolutionize the world?
(And will she do it by finding her prince or being a prince?)

Since we don't know Anthy's motives (like OITL pointed out) and it's from Utena's pov and she's the impetuous...I reckon she's the main character.

Having said that, this is a fascinating discussion with some great points. etc-love

Kiss: My point is, Anthy seems to be a very intricate and delicate part of this whole process... and in the end it is HER we see leaving from Ohtori

But we end on the photo of the two of them and Anthy's promise to go to Utena (which granted is a reflection of the hidden memory of child Utena/Anthy and Utena's promise to become a prince...ie "go" to Anthy).

The sequel to SKU (if there ever was such a wondrous thing) would have to be Anthy as the main character. She would be the impetuous - SKU-sequel would be about her desire to find her prince vs save the prince (by destroying herself like she did with Dios). The world has been revolutionized and SKU-sequel would be about how that affects Anthy (who was so long dormant to any kind of change).

And it would end (if it mirrored SKU) with Anthy somehow saving Utena. By teaching Utena to find herself.

Last edited by sharnii (02-23-2010 06:10:05 PM)

#5 | Back to Top02-23-2010 08:41:43 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

'they are two halves of the same woman.' Utena is all the nobility of innocence and ideal associated with childhood, while Anthy is the regret and stagnation of an adult bitter over the loss of that innocence and passion.

I can see this and feel they do affect eachother greatly. I do see Utena as a little more childish vs. Anthy's "maturity" but i think (am pretty damn sure) that Ikuhara has such an aversion (if you could call it that) to adults that he expressed that in the sense of maturity. I mean for Anthy being "mature" she's pretty out there... She has relations with her brother and everyone else, she's manipulative, she's a back stabber (heheheh...school-devil) etcetra. Yes, she has a different outlook on life and her actions show that she isn't as naieve as a 7th grader could/should be. And she herself says she played on utena's Naievete so this is a big emphasis on that.... That being said, I can see that they are the yin and yang of eachother and for that reason compliment eachother perfectly.

Alexa wrote:

I always thought they were kind of intended to be an example of duality...Initially, they seem to be designed and intended as opposites: Utena is fair with pink hair, Anthy has dark skin and purple hair

I hadn't ever thought of that and this is a fabulous point! I feel so dumb to see it so late.  Maybe that is why they were created as "indian" people. I like this idea and i'm gonna stick with it.

I feel that Utena did pass on a piece of her with every duelist and thats why she's the main character. She defied EVERYTHING that each of the duelists believed.. (See: Juri's Special Dueling Miracle) However, on the same token... there's Anthy attributing just as much to the duelist to fuel their will to fight (See: Anthy giving Juri rose). Anthy and Utena one in the same? yes. and i do believe that people watched the show to see if she'd free anthy and get her own prince and so on and so forth.

Watch "truth" the ending theme (i'm sure you have 23094873298012983 times already but) you'll notice that it begins with just utena and dios/prince and then seperates into anthy and dios/prince. Speaking of all the duality and everything. Maybe thats a clue to Ikuhara's ... inner... mind... ish sort of.

Just wanted to add the interesting point that the only two characters appearing in every episode are Utena and Anthy.

But we end on the photo of the two of them and Anthy's promise to go to Utena (which granted is a reflection of the hidden memory of child Utena/Anthy and Utena's promise to become a prince...ie "go" to Anthy).

The sequel to SKU (if there ever was such a wondrous thing) would have to be Anthy as the main character. She would be the impetuous - SKU-sequel would be about her desire to find her prince vs save the prince (by destroying herself like she did with Dios). The world has been revolutionized and SKU-sequel would be about how that affects Anthy (who was so long dormant to any kind of change).

And it would end (if it mirrored SKU) with Anthy somehow saving Utena. By teaching Utena to find herself.

I agree...  If there were a sequel, Anthy would be more of the focus and i agree... but you could also argue there could be a second set of duelists and brides to pick from yes? (though i'd be less inclined to watch...)

So what is Ikuhara's goal here? Is he getting across Utena's story or is he getting across Anthy's? or maybe he's getting across each person that hes met has their own special character and attitude towards everything.

So if Utena/Anthy are the main characters... whats the message?

#6 | Back to Top02-24-2010 12:48:24 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Call me simple, but I think Utena's undeniably the main character.

The main character is usually someone who the audience can relate to and sympathize with. Anthy's important, but she's not like most people. Neither is Utena, but the difference is that she wants to be different in a "cool" and rebellious way while Anthy just seems weird and creepy when we first see her.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top02-24-2010 01:54:30 PM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

The main character is usually someone who the audience can relate to and sympathize with. Anthy's important, but she's not like most people. Neither is Utena, but the difference is that she wants to be different in a "cool" and rebellious way while Anthy just seems weird and creepy when we first see her.

HAHAHAHA

call me weird and creepy, I can relate with Anthy a thousand times more easily than I can relate with Utena.

In fact, I think most people are more like Anthy than they are like Utena.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#8 | Back to Top02-24-2010 02:37:17 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Yeah, I'd say Anthy is more easy to relate to because the world's beat her down more.  For most of the series, Utena seems genuinely shocked whenever someone does something cruel or hurtful.  Anthy's been used to that reality for quite some time.

I mean, if I had to choose just one "main character," I would probably choose Utena.  Just for the sake of simplicity.  She's the most obvious main character, and I'd definitely say Utena is the series' main protagonist

Thematically, though, I think Utena and Anthy are on pretty equal ground.

Last edited by Alexa (02-24-2010 02:38:32 PM)

#9 | Back to Top02-24-2010 10:15:30 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Riri-kins wrote:

When i first watched the show i related to the both of them... as strange as that may seem... I was tomboyish in nature... ie loved sports, being the tough kid, doing things on my own.. but at the same time i was this mangled person on the inside. I was a shell with all of my emotions on the inside; tucked deep away from everyone else to see... I let people walk all over me and i did whatever i could to help someone.

And i think that supports the idea of "duality" here... I'm pretty resolved in saying they are equal parts of the same whole.

And in all technicalities we already know Utena is the "main character" in the *protagonist* sense and seeing as the story is focused *around her* but i just can't let it go on something that simple... It is SKU after all!

Alexa wrote:

Yeah, I'd say Anthy is more easy to relate to because the world's beat her down more.  For most of the series, Utena seems genuinely shocked whenever someone does something cruel or hurtful.  Anthy's been used to that reality for quite some time.

Utena being shocked at the real world kind-of bothered me... 

I guess the better question here is what is the story about?

Yes, Utena has her name in the title... but is the show about what she did or who she is... or a combination or everything? I see it more as what she did and how it affected so many other people.... Yet i feel that her and Anthy had to go side by side, hand in hand in order to do so... Utena was merely seeking out some childhood dream... but when the two got together; there was chemistry and things changed.

I see an AMV with the song i'm a fire starter branching off of this discussion... feel free to steal that emot-rofl

#10 | Back to Top02-25-2010 10:06:29 AM

Leeg
Juri Jeerer
Website

Everybody knows its Chu-chu.

#11 | Back to Top02-25-2010 11:20:47 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Maybe it is Chuchu >_>

I don't know... Utena and Anthy both seem part of the whole. It's as if each character is a symbol of parts of life. Puzzle pieces drifting in a life stream. We see more of some characters than others, but their contributions can be pretty large. One character who stands out in a simple way is Wakaba. To me she also has this larger story, watching as things happen without fully realizing the motivations behind certain actions, but continuing on despite what could be general confusion. To me she would be the character most easy to identify with.

Major characters verses minor... Ruka has a large piece of connectivity as well as Mikage/Nemuro... there are things we wouldn't know without them, and these things are important to the central plot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#12 | Back to Top02-25-2010 11:54:41 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Main character is Utena. However, I tend to put Utena and Anthy as being necessary for the other to function.  So Utena is like the leader and Anthy the right-hand man/woman.  We see what happens to Utena without Anthy...not much of a main character.  And without Utena, the show has nowhere to go (except in the viewer's mind).

#13 | Back to Top02-25-2010 02:06:20 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Melancholic Soul: I see what you mean about Wakaba. I've always felt like she was the tie between the *ordinary* and the *extraordinary* She somehow got her plain-colored-haired self involved with a bunch of crazy haired colored people... And that kept that bit of realism there... She-to me-represents more of the typical girl at that age... (ish)? She writes the love letters, swings back and forth between people, knows the scoop on everyone... something most that age probably would do...

She is essential in *SLAPPING* utena back into reality... and being that constant that Utena needs.

Its so very interesting ot me how each character in the show is just as important and complex as the rest...

I agree also with you on the Ruka/Mikage/Nemuro thing. Can you imagine Juri without her Ruka??emot-gonk i mean hell, this brings me back to the sentence above this paragraph. Can you imagine Shiori without Shiori and Ruka? it wouldn't be much of a depthy juri anymore... I mean you could eliminate kozue, shiori, wakaba, and the other secondary characters and the story wouldn't make much sense...

Each character has their counterpart.. I mean we can think of different pairings :

Utena :: Anthy
Utena :: Prince/Dios/Akio
Utena :: Wakaba

Anthy :: Utena
Anthy :: Akio/Prince/Dios
Anthy :: Chu Chu ??

Touga :: Nanami
Touga :: Saionji
Touga :: Utena

Saionji :: Anthy
Saionji :: Wakaba
Saionji :: Touga

Juri :: Miki
Juri :: Shiori
Juri :: Ruka

Miki :: Kozue
Miki :: Anthy
Miki :: Juri

Wakaba :: Utena
Wakaba :: Saionji

I could go on for hours. But i think this is an imporant link... each character wouldn't make sense without the others. These weren't put in any specific order... just as they came ot mind..s orry if i offended any Juri-fans by puting shiori 2nd haha.

Spoon san:
Specifically though, Utena is a great key role in examining each of these people and viewing their stories... But without Anthy,  Utena is just a rebelious tomboy hell-bent on breaking the girl code emot-tongue  I agree with you. They are parts of an important same whole.

#14 | Back to Top02-26-2010 05:04:23 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Sometimes, I will swear up and down that Touga is the main character.
I can't really explain it.
But sometimes, I have no doubt that it is indeed Touga.

Fucking Touga.

#15 | Back to Top02-26-2010 07:48:59 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Sometimes I like think Utena's the main character, but without Anthy, Utena's nothing. Her past, her very character, all stems from that one moment when they first meet. To me, that seems like more of the workings of a minor character. In SKU, however, there are no minor characters. Just characters without much screen time.

#16 | Back to Top02-26-2010 08:10:56 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Malacoda wrote:

Just characters without much screen time.

AAAAAAAAAAMEN.

allegoriest wrote:

Sometimes, I will swear up and down that Touga is the main character.
I can't really explain it.
But sometimes, I have no doubt that it is indeed Touga.

Fucking Touga.

He is the head pimp of the students, is he not? i think its viable!

#17 | Back to Top02-26-2010 08:14:47 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Here's how I see it...

Even though Utena's name is in the title, I don't think she's the main character. When I say main character, I mean "person that the show is about". At the end of the day, SKU wasn't about Utena at all. It was about Anthy. The primary resolution of the story came when Anthy decided to GTFO. Also, it can be argued that despite everything happening to and around her, Utena winds up being one of the least developed/evolved characters in the series.

Utena is like the prince in the major fairy tales: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or Little Mermaid. She's a plot device for the main character to get her "Happily Ever After" while receiving as little development as possible.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#18 | Back to Top03-01-2010 03:39:40 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Thats agreat point! Utena isn't developed really well in the series... you never really find out much about her except her prince from the past... you don't even find out where she really is from, what she's done, who she is, or anything... You discover so much about juri, miki, anthy, and so on but never too much about Utena. We see how she feels; what she does... but never really whats going on in her past. I can say i know more about Juri comparatively.

#19 | Back to Top03-01-2010 03:44:31 PM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

I disagree, Utena does get a lot of character development, especially in her encounters with Touga, Mikage, and Akio in each arc finale, and we do discover things about her past (what really happened the night after her parents died and when she met her Prince). It's pretty key to the series.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#20 | Back to Top03-01-2010 07:32:15 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I personally think Utena shows the most character development of anyone with MAYBE Anthy as exception.  The other characters, at least the first time through, I thought were rather...flat.  Utena struck me as having the most believability of any character as a first impression, anyway.

#21 | Back to Top03-01-2010 08:02:07 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

^ I think what we see is a kind of transformation of Utena. There is a journey there, and we are able to experience the bridge from one place to another. As far as development goes... I'm not sure... we're not told of Utena's origins, but we do understand her inner machinations and her sense of presence. Utena's personal character is well developed, but her bio isn't explained in depth... In that sense, it's difficult for me to base an opinion of development, as there are contrasting elements. We don't know where she comes from, or how she identifies with the 'outside' world, or even what kind of childhood she had. Then again we do know her parents died and how that event added direction to her life...oi

That being said, Miki and Akio are probably more developed in the areas I listed above... Akio has a chance at being the main character as well... but the downside is that there is a mountain of obscurity hanging over him and Dios... I can't say Dios is well developed at all... but I like Dios...well Manga Dios anyway... anime Dios seemed like a prick in Utena's flashback... no lie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#22 | Back to Top03-01-2010 10:12:07 PM

oldboy
Miki Molester

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Here's how I see it...

Even though Utena's name is in the title, I don't think she's the main character. When I say main character, I mean "person that the show is about". At the end of the day, SKU wasn't about Utena at all. It was about Anthy. The primary resolution of the story came when Anthy decided to GTFO.

Yep. I basically agree with this.

Utena is like the prince in the major fairy tales: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or Little Mermaid. She's a plot device for the main character to get her "Happily Ever After" while receiving as little development as possible.

Interesting point. I always thought one of the lessons of the series was how unlike those princes Utena is. She shares a lot of the superficial characteristics (attractive, naïve, brave, etc) but she also has faults which Disney characters aren't allowed, as a rule. The series goes out of its way, over and over again, to point out how her black-and-white moral code ("How about forgiving Shiori, Juri-sempai?") is unrealistic and "cruelly innocent." She's like Alyosha Karamazov: at first she might seem like a Mary Sue, but she really does have strengths, weaknesses and blind spots, not to mention hidden depths.

I think at the end, she's back at the place where we see her when she's six years old. She's lost hope and in despair. Whatever the swords did or didn't do to her, she was in some ways the sacrifice that Anthy's miracle had to stand on top of.

Also, character development doesn't necessarily mean you turn into a different person. It also doesn't mean all your problems vanish. Saionji doesn't suddenly become a genius even if he's taking more classes in his major.

As for who's the main character? I think it's a toss-up between Utena, Anthy and Touga. Not Akio, though. Fuck Akio.

Last edited by oldboy (03-01-2010 10:18:24 PM)

#23 | Back to Top03-03-2010 12:47:46 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

How many times are there multiple main characters?

I guess that's possible too!

#24 | Back to Top03-03-2010 04:06:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I disagree with Raven's statement.  SKU is primarily about self-actualization - most, if not all other themes in SKU stem from this- and Utena herself is the character who best or most dynamically travels the road to it: gender stereotypes, sexual confusion and the conflict of dreams and desire versus reality are all obstacles that hinder her from achieving the final goal of self-actualization, in which she creates her own identity and true feelings of altruism.  Anthy makes one decision at the end, but Utena is consistently challenged and changed throughout the series.  The series ends at the beginning of Anthy's journey, literally and figuratively.

#25 | Back to Top03-10-2010 02:23:24 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

OITL: Utena herself is the character who best or most dynamically travels the road to it: gender stereotypes, sexual confusion and the conflict of dreams and desire versus reality are all obstacles that hinder her from achieving the final goal of self-actualization, in which she creates her own identity and true feelings of altruism.  Anthy makes one decision at the end, but Utena is consistently challenged and changed throughout the series.

Main characters aside that's such a big part of why I LOVE this series. etc-love We all search for our identities and want and struggle and fail and succeed...watching Utena do it and succeed (after a fashion) at being what she wanted to be (the core of it), that was just amazing. It was even quite shaking to watch other characters search for their self-actualization and fail in it or come up with a corrupt version (say Touga) or succeed in their own way.

Board footer