This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-12-2013 02:38:50 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

How old is Utena?

I only just finished watching the Utena anime and Movie quite recently, so I don't know if this is a really stupid question or not, but I'm really confused as to Utena (and Anthy's) age? I heard somewhere that they were fourteen, or in the second year of middle school... But Utena looks at least sixteen in the anime, and she certainly doesn't behave like a fourteen year old. emot-confused

#2 | Back to Top10-12-2013 02:57:41 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: How old is Utena?

Both Utena and Anthy are fourteen. Miki, Kozue and Nanami are, if you can believe it, thirteen! The art style makes everyone look so slender and long-legged that I was shocked too (I was under the assumption as yourself on my first watch through, that Utena was about 16).

When you know the cast's real ages, it definitely makes Akio's seduction of Utena much, much creepier.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! emot-smile I see this is your first post.

#3 | Back to Top10-12-2013 05:49:53 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Gosh, I can't imagine Nanami as that young! But Shojo art styles do make everyone look older than they are...
It does puts parts of the series in a completely different light.

Aw, thankyou! emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top10-12-2013 11:49:26 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Like almost all anime and manga characters, the cast of Utena are victims of what I like to call the Five Year Rule: for any anime/manga character whose age is officially stated, add five years to that number to arrive at a more realistic age that more closely matches what they actually look and behave like.

As you point out, Utena - and pretty much the entire rest of the cast - neither look nor behave like their official ages, but now add five years. Both mentally and physically, Utena makes far more sense as a nineteen year old, as does this age adjustment on the rest of the cast in turn.

Again, this is nothing unusual; anime and manga characters are routinely given ages much younger than they look and act. This has to do with, ah...let's be charitable and call it Japan's "fascination" with the time of youth and the state of being young. There are much less flattering ways that it could accurately be described, however.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-12-2013 12:00:55 PM)

#5 | Back to Top10-12-2013 12:24:01 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Maybe they age the characters physically to make viewers feel less uncomfortable with some more adult themes and scenes in the show. Ep 33 would be much more weird than it already is if Utena actually looked her age.

#6 | Back to Top10-12-2013 01:23:53 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

The five year thing makes so much sense!! But yes, Utena definitely isn't even the worst in that respect.

If Utena had looked her age in ep. 33, I don't know if I would have continued watching the series...

#7 | Back to Top10-12-2013 01:46:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I would posit that, while the five-year rule is a good yardstick for appearances, (unless they look like moe blobs, ugh *cough*Madoka*cough*) our interpretations of how the Utena cast act is shaped by how old they look, and while looking at them through the lens of their stated ages makes the show creep-fucking-tastic, it is by no means implausible.  It's definitely worth a re-watch while telling yourself "she's fourteen, she's thirteen, they're seventeen," and so on, and see what you think of it.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (10-12-2013 01:47:22 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#8 | Back to Top10-12-2013 03:29:23 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Aelanie wrote:

Both mentally and physically, Utena makes far more sense as a nineteen year old, as does this age adjustment on the rest of the cast in turn.

I can get physical appearance, but the ages of the characters are so tied into their personality and the themes of the show that the "five year rule" just doesn't work for me.

I'd prefer an inverse "3-5 year rule," where characters are always 3-5 years younger than they look.

#9 | Back to Top10-12-2013 11:26:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Actually, to be more accurate, Utena, Wakaba, and Anthy are 13 for the entire series. Nanami, Miki, and Kozue turn 13 during the course of the show. As a matter of fact, Wakaba (3/14) is only two months older than Miki and Kozue (5/28).  They were just born on opposite sides of the April 1st cutoff.

To clarify, Utena, Anthy, Wakaba, Miki, Kozue, and Nanami would all be in the same grade if they lived in the US. In Japan, they're not. They're all born in the same calendar year (Okay, Utena's born in the last three days of the previous year, but close enough), but because school starts in April there instead of August/September like it does here, they get split up.

Also, Touga turns 17 during his birthday episode.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#10 | Back to Top10-13-2013 05:17:30 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Nah, Utena's in her last year of middle school, so she would be 14 in Japan. Kanae's in her last year of high school, so she is 18—kind of makes me wonder why there are no upperclassmen on the student council.

#11 | Back to Top10-13-2013 07:13:45 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

That is odd actually. You would have thought that characters like Touga, Saionji and Juri would be a bit older.

#12 | Back to Top10-13-2013 08:10:47 PM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Atropos wrote:

kind of makes me wonder why there are no upperclassmen on the student council.

Senioritis, perhaps? By senior year, a lot of people start to mentally drift away from high school and focus on their futures, particularly in Japan, where every senior is obsessed with passing the entrance exam for their favorite university. The SC members are totally caught up in school drama without heed to the world outside, which is just the way Akio wants it.

Come to think of it, Kanae isn't ever seen in a school uniform and after her introduction in "Boys of the Black Rose," her status as an Ohtori student is never really brought up. I don't think there are any other 12th-year characters, which has to mean something. I wonder if Ohtori students mysteriously disappear after their junior year. It makes sense if Ohtori is a school that no one can really graduate from. Seniors have reached the end of childhood; they represent a concrete end to the high school experience, and the End of the World has to be more distant and mysterious than that in order to fuel Akio's fantasy.

#13 | Back to Top10-13-2013 09:40:20 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Davine Lu Linvega wrote:

Seniors have reached the end of childhood; they represent a concrete end to the high school experience, and the End of the World has to be more distant and mysterious than that in order to fuel Akio's fantasy.

Nailed it.

#14 | Back to Top10-15-2013 06:42:46 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

I still stand by my stance that she's 19.

#15 | Back to Top10-15-2013 09:38:55 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Isn't Mikage mentioned to be in his last year of high school?

Kanae I always took to be....well if you're name is on the school, you probably don't have to sweat your marks much, huh? She strikes me as someone in the school basically on a formality. Her purpose in the family isn't to be an educated woman. At one point she might have been important to the students, popular, or considered a standard of excellence other students had to look up to, but...now she's just a title to pass around. She didn't distinguish herself among her peers. Maybe she never had to? Raised directly into the socialite circles?

The five year rule is a little much to me with SKU. I feel like 2-3 is about right. I just can't see Utena as a 19 year old. Maybe I didn't spend enough time around people at that age, though. I can't see a 19 year old being quite as naive as she is.

Also based on that, Akio's what, 27? In my head he's like 35-40. They called him an older man. Doesn't work in my head unless he's double their age.

Thought about this a bit too much, maybe...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#16 | Back to Top10-16-2013 08:47:51 AM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Ikuhara does it on purpose, to question our sexual preferences.

#17 | Back to Top10-16-2013 07:54:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

Ikuhara does it on purpose, to question our sexual preferences.

This is truth.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#18 | Back to Top10-17-2013 12:00:40 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I always thought that Akio was meant to be 22, 23?

#19 | Back to Top10-17-2013 12:18:07 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

He is, that's why I said 27; I was basing it on the five year rule. Seriously, how many 2 year olds have you met that act like that?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#20 | Back to Top10-17-2013 12:40:19 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

He is, that's why I said 27; I was basing it on the five year rule. Seriously, how many 2 year olds have you met that act like that?

And with this typo, the thread has officially gotten weird.  emot-rofl  Gio: "Akio obviously isn't 2.  Maybe 7."

I like how much discussion this thread has generated.  The question we're examining is important to how we understand SKU.  For instance, if we take the show at its word about the characters' ages, then we have a pretty solid case for Touga's sexual abuse by his foster father.  If we implicitly add five years to everyone's age, though, then that case thins quite a bit: Touga may be seventeen on paper, but we should examine him as a twenty-two-year-old, and those five years make a lot of difference.  Something similar happens to Kozue, Akio, and Utena herself if you add five years.  They all start looking less precocious and/or damaged.

But if you add five years to Saionji's age, or Nanami's, or Juri's, then these characters start looking worse.  Each of them seems to be more reasonably analyzed at their stated ages than at age-plus-five.  Saionji at 17 is contemptible in an ordinary teenage way; Saionji at 22 is genuinely frightening.  Juri at 16 is an angsty teen; Juri at 21 is emotionally stunted.

What do we do?  Do we say, "Some of the characters are portrayed at their stated age and others aren't?"  If so, is that on purpose or is it bad writing?  Do we say, "All of the characters should have their age adjusted" -- and deal with what that says about the characters who seem to behave age-appropriately?  Or do we say, "We shouldn't adjust anyone's age" -- and deal with what that says about the characters who don't behave age-appropriately?

My preference, I guess, is for the latter unless proven otherwise -- with the one footnote that Akio and Anthy, of course, are canonically a lot older than their apparent ages.

Last edited by satyreyes (10-17-2013 12:54:12 AM)

#21 | Back to Top10-17-2013 11:24:51 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Sorry to pop in out of the blue but if Nemuro was a high-school senior, then Tokiko is at least a few years older than him, being a working woman. Is her age (at the time before the fire ) mentioned anywhere?

#22 | Back to Top10-17-2013 11:28:19 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I would be interested to know Tokiko's age, too.  Because of Mamiya, she sure has taken on a lot of responsibility for someone apparently in her early twenties.

Is it actually the case that Nemuro was a high-school senior?  Mikage was supposed to be a high-school senior, but Nemuro was a professor, albeit a young one; he must have at least had a high school diploma to be hired as a professor, no?

#23 | Back to Top10-17-2013 11:36:07 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

sorry, didn't think about that emot-frown but the idea of Tokiko being 'the older woman' to him is appealing to me, for some reason...

#24 | Back to Top10-17-2013 01:20:57 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

satyreyes wrote:

Is it actually the case that Nemuro was a high-school senior?  Mikage was supposed to be a high-school senior, but Nemuro was a professor, albeit a young one; he must have at least had a high school diploma to be hired as a professor, no?

There are cases of 13-year-olds getting college diplomas. I don't think it's impossible for an eighteen-year-old in Japan to get his high school diploma early, considering his exceptional talent.

Last edited by Atropos (10-17-2013 01:21:06 PM)

#25 | Back to Top10-17-2013 01:34:55 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Atropos wrote:

There are cases of 13-year-olds getting college diplomas. I don't think it's impossible for an eighteen-year-old in Japan to get his high school diploma early, considering his exceptional talent.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I always thought was the case- that he might have been even younger than 18.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer