This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-31-2012 02:35:54 AM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

"Sail!"--Of ships and possibilities

Hey guys.  I'm not an Utena expert (I've only watched anime and movie thrice), though I do love it.

I was wondering--and I'm sorry how open-ended this is--how you guys think a ship on water theme would fit into Utena?  I'm asking because I intend to write a fic/run a roleplaying game in which ships replace cars as a major thematic element in an AU of the Utena anime and movie (where specific people will eventually turn into ships).

As far as what already exists, the buildings of Ohtori in the movie move sort of like ships and Touga presumably drowns after Juri falls off her rowboat.  Is there anything else?

As to thematic ideas; Akio unerringly manning a sexy ship through night waters with a guest seems like an appropriate image (going suggestively down a canal, until he hits the open ocean and kicks it up a few notches).  A lake that acts as a moat surrounding a castle high on a rock might end up being a pertinent location.  Wind might be important, but that would depend on the types of ships utilized.  I would assume.

I know nothing of boats or sailing or whatnot, to be honest.  I appeal to you guys for help brainstorming! emot-dance

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#2 | Back to Top05-31-2012 12:05:01 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Re: "Sail!"--Of ships and possibilities

Suddenly, I have this image of SKU crossing over with One Piece.

Or Gokaiger. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. *_* etc-wankdude etc-wankdude etc-wankdude

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#3 | Back to Top05-31-2012 12:08:29 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I'm pretty sure all vehicles that can get people from one place to the next can in fact fit in to the theme. 
Can't wait to read you fic emot-dance

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#4 | Back to Top05-31-2012 12:41:35 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

...Is it one big ship? Or several little ships? Or are we all on rowboats?

Or is this Waterworld and we're dueling for dirt?

#5 | Back to Top06-01-2012 05:32:16 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm suddenly seeing that scene with Juri, Miki and Shori in the movie, with all the duelist cars all on storage racks. The cargo ship KICH Utena, her hull full of goods, cars, coffins, roses and angst, plowing through the high seas, to bring profit to its many hopeful shareholders...

#6 | Back to Top06-01-2012 11:06:56 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hi again Scorluron
To me, the vehicle theme means that a character (car) can help another character (driver), go from from one situation/place in life (A location) to the next situation/place (B location).  Utena help Anthy going from being a victim/passive-agressive in restrictive Ohtori to a free-spirit in the Outside World, thus why Ikuhara made Utena a car and Anthy the driver in the movie.   I think the vehicle char. can be cars, ships, planes, even horses and bicycles and whatnot and a story still could work.

Hope this explanation helps!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#7 | Back to Top06-01-2012 01:23:56 PM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

Can you guys think of other ways the sea or storms or shipcraft might be nice and symbolic in Utena?  'Cuz I can't really, and I want to; it's possible I'm just not a deep person. emot-confused

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#8 | Back to Top06-01-2012 02:24:39 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Maybe they're a ship of fools, on the classical journey that a ship of fools goes on.

Board footer