This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-14-2017 10:03:36 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

The Utena anime is one of my favorite works ever

Sometimes I just think about Utena and how seriously in love I am with the show and have been for years now. I think it's honestly one of my favorite works of art ever, if not my favorite -- up there with any book, movie, TV series, etc. I've enjoyed. I think that the TV series is near perfection -- I literally think the only thing I might change about it is to make Utena and Anthy's relationship more overt and physical -- but even then, I'm not sure, because sometimes I think some of the impact of their relationship comes from its subtlety.

I love how it can be interpreted and viewed on so many levels. It makes for an unforgettable and moving coming of age/growing up/loss of innocence story, but also for a story about abuse, feminism, sexual orientation, etc etc etc. Definitely a work of art.

Last edited by anthy_himemiya (08-14-2017 10:05:44 PM)

#2 | Back to Top09-24-2017 06:07:20 PM

MissKosmic
Juri Jeerer
Website

Re: The Utena anime is one of my favorite works ever

I couldn't agree more, I find myself returning to the show, manga, movie, and these discussion pages over and over through the years. It's been 17 years now for me, and I'm always finding new ways to enjoy the show. I recently watched the whole series with my partner, and it was quite the bonding experience. I never had a partner I could share Utena with before. So great.

I have always wanted to create a real fanfic or a serious art series inspired by Utena, but its tough to live up to.

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#3 | Back to Top09-26-2017 05:31:52 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

MissKosmic wrote:

I couldn't agree more, I find myself returning to the show, manga, movie, and these discussion pages over and over through the years. It's been 17 years now for me, and I'm always finding new ways to enjoy the show. I recently watched the whole series with my partner, and it was quite the bonding experience. I never had a partner I could share Utena with before. So great.

I have always wanted to create a real fanfic or a serious art series inspired by Utena, but its tough to live up to.

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

*HUGS* etc-love

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#4 | Back to Top10-10-2017 11:19:48 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

Another reason I love Utena...

I first watched the series when I was 12, in 2001, nearly 20 years ago... Back then, I related to it on so many levels.

I rewatched it recently for the first time in years, now at the age of 28. I still relate to it on so many levels.

There's not many series that you can go back and re-watch nearly 20 years later and still find it as relevant, affecting and resonant as you did when you first saw it. Truly a sign of a timeless classic.

Board footer