This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-18-2007 02:27:03 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: The SKU Cast: Biggest Jerks in All of Anime

Shelleh wrote:

Look Razara! I'm posting in the forums all by myself! You must be so proud of me!! X3

For those wondering who the other "jerks" that made the list were,

10: Mugen - Samurai Champloo
9: Ilpalazzo - Excel Saga
8: Genjo Sanzo - Saiyuki
7: Katsuhiko Jinnai - El Hazard
6: Sae Kashiwagi - Peach Girl
5: Byakuya Kuchiki - Bleach
4: Char Aznable - Moble Suit Gundam
3: Gendo Ikari - Evangelion
2: Vegeta - DBZ

Personally this is what I would call each of these people:
9: Ilpalazzo - Excel Saga (Self asorbed prick)
6: Sae Kashiwagi - Peach Girl (False friend and back-stabbing bitch)
3: Gendo Ikari - Evangelion (Inhuman Bastard)
2: Vegeta - DBZ (Pompus ass)

#27 | Back to Top08-18-2007 03:53:16 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Tamago[u wrote:

Personally this is what I would call each of these people:[/u]
9: Ilpalazzo - Excel Saga (Self asorbed prick)
6: Sae Kashiwagi - Peach Girl (False friend and back-stabbing bitch)
3: Gendo Ikari - Evangelion (Inhuman Bastard)
2: Vegeta - DBZ (Pompus ass)

I agree. Wholeheartedly. Though, I think that Sae is the greatest bitch ever. Has anyone else that's read Peach Girl been more interested to see what she was plotting rather than how Momo was dealing with her troubles? I find it fascinating that though Momo is the main character, Sae is the one the reader is usually looking out for. Well, to me at least. Or perhaps, Nanami has really grown on me a bit.

#28 | Back to Top08-18-2007 11:26:19 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

No, it's not just you, Rae. Apparently, Sae was popular enough to merit a sequel to Peach Girl.

Also, if you look at the list, some of the characters are kind of similar to some of the SKU characters anyway.

Hell, the Gendo/Akio parallel alone is obvious. And with a little fuzzy math, Ilpalazzo is basically Akio with Touga's voice.

As for Jinnai....he's just 12 shades of crazy.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#29 | Back to Top08-18-2007 02:16:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

[Yasha & Gio]

emot-dance emot-dance WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!!! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!!! emot-dance emot-dance

emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top08-18-2007 04:51:41 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

When I hear the word jerk, it implies a certain amount of brainlessness behind someone's malicious acts.  Jerks are two-dimensional characters, cardboard cutouts to give real characters something to play off of.  I agree, Gendo from Eva is a jerk.  His motivations are somewhat explored giving him a little depth, but really, most of what he does holds little purpose except to show the audience what a rotten person he is.  When I think 'jerk', I see the random foe for some Mary Sue character, out kicking puppies or bullying underclassmen until our hero/ine steps on the scene and beats him down for his petty cruelty (almost invariably it's a him, but I digress).

Utena characters are not jerks.  Not that Nanami isn't shallow.  Her universe consists of herself, her brother, and anyone stupid enough to come between them, but she isn't really mindless, and shows remarkable growth by the end of the series.  Not that Saionji isn't violent, bearing a remarkable resemblance to our stereotypical jerk, but by the end of the series, you can see underneath it all to understand what's really going on.  Not that all sorts of characters don't behave badly.  Their actions are cruel and heartless at times, but you get an explanation of what's pushed them to it, and by the end, you see that many of them are capable of being something better.  That's not a bunch of jerks, it's a cast of carefully crafted, beautiful but very realistically flawed characters.

I think that our dear hack... errr, I mean "esteemed reviewer of anime", watched the series once, very quickly, saw roses, swords and Saionji smacking Anthy around, understood little or none of it, and quickly moved on to something with bigger explosions, better fanservice, or both.

His loss, but hey, at least Utena gets some free publicity.

As an aside, personally, I have trouble putting Ilpalazzo on the list, mostly because I had trouble forming enough empathy with anyone in that incoherent mess to care who was mistreating who.

#31 | Back to Top08-18-2007 05:16:04 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

The series was nowhere near tame. Sure, threre're nudity in the movie, but once you realize what the chairman's tower REALLY stands for in the Utena Mythos... emot-aaa

Yeah, that's it! That's the face! emot-keke

#32 | Back to Top08-18-2007 10:48:22 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Paradox wrote:

Jerks are two-dimensional characters, cardboard cutouts to give real characters something to play off of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/maarika/images/cardboard.png

...The fandub made me do it! I swear!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#33 | Back to Top08-18-2007 10:57:17 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

So now we're pointing fingers at the "norms" of the Utena Mythos, eh? We're going back to blaming the convention and "normalcy" of society again, aren't we? emot-rolleyes

#34 | Back to Top08-19-2007 12:00:53 AM

hyaene
Miki Molester

hm... maybe i like SKU, because i'm a big jerk, too ?
i think that the person who made up this list is the only jerk here. <<"

#35 | Back to Top08-19-2007 12:30:52 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maybe the jerk list was misunderstood, it might have meant to be the list of whom people 'jerk-off' to, the most. etc-wankdudeetc-wankdudeetc-wankdude

#36 | Back to Top08-19-2007 04:45:17 AM

hyaene
Miki Molester

emot-rofl

#37 | Back to Top08-19-2007 08:54:38 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Patently ridiculous. The cast of Eva is an order of magnitude beyond that of SKU, both in jerkiness AND sheer fucked-upedness. The difference is, the characters in SKU are sympathetic and approachable, except maybe Akio, whereas even the main character of Eva is just too fucked-up to be very likable.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#38 | Back to Top08-19-2007 01:19:30 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Oh, I think it's quite an honor that Utena topped a list - even if a rather shallow one. It just means more publicity for a <gay voice> FABULOUS </gay voice> yet underrated series. Essentially, though, I do believe the general population are Utena are indeed jerks. And by that - they are typically crueler and more manipulative than your average everyday person. This is not due to their personalities so far as it is due to the circumstance they have been placed in. After all, they are all in a competition, a game within in a game controlled by a master manipulator. You have to remember that the majority of these characters are children. Even Touga still constitutes as a youth. All of them are driven by self-centered desires, which is completely natural at their age. They are looking for self-affirmation, prestige, and meaning. Akio manipulates this to his purpose and antagonizes what is already there.

On a more superficial level, though, here is my appraisal.

Akio. Ironic that the supposedly 'mature' chairman is, quite frankly, the least mature of them all. For all of his brilliant schemes and Machiavellian plots, he tries again and again to obtain an impossible end, like a hamster smashing itself against a glass cage. He berates the others for their belief in a false romantic ideal, yet his reward for all of his careful plotting is only a philosophical tangent - nothing material or reliable. I am of the firm opinion that he believes that accessing the Rose Gate will somehow allow him to restore that lost part of himself; the prince. Hence his desire to possess pure good (Utena) and ultimately corrupt it. And for this end, he basically drags everybody along into a big circular game.

The big indicant for me, though, was his blindness (or perhaps satisfaction) towards Anthy's suffering. He sees her sacrifice as a natural result of his superiority and domination, and goes out of his way to magnify her torture through the duelist games, mocking her thoroughly by parading her around as a sort of trophy princess. Anthy by no means is an innocent character, but then again, few would be innocent under the kind of torture she endures. Hers is natural response to a harsh environment. Akio's, on the other hand, is more an utterly selfish toddler who expects the world to fall into line for him. Sexiness aside, he is the series' biggest jerk.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#39 | Back to Top08-19-2007 08:43:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Akio. Ironic that the supposedly 'mature' chairman is, quite frankly, the least mature of them all.

etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Edit: I feel like I need to say more than what I did.

I actually rather like that the series gets persecuted here as being an army of jerks. It's pretty hard to deny there is some truth to the accusation, but it's interesting to see how the series gets looked at from the outside, given how intimately we take it. Anime fan community: SKU IS FULL OF JERKS. Us: SKU IS FULL OF PEOPLE WE RELATE TO.

So what does that say about who? Are we jerks? Are the characters jerks? Do the characters and their viewers have in common being misunderstood by most people, or are others realizing in a quick glance something about the characters that by relation says something rather bad about us? This is an especially obvious question for me, being that my favorite characters (the ones I relate to) are Akio and Saionji. If someone (I'd say justly in this case emot-redface) says they're jerks, and I relate to them, well that probably makes me a jerk. And if that doesn't make me a jerk, the shiteating grin I get whenever Akio does something bad probably makes me a jerk. But for other characters. Touga, Shiori, even Juri. I'm not saying it's true of all of us. One can relate to Shiori's feeling inferior to Juri without relating to the half-satisfaction she gets out of attacking Juri in retaliation. A lot of us don't split it up that much, though.

Actually it's kinda like I feel that in some way the article indirectly calls a large portion of us jerks. If any argument can be made for me, at least, being a jerk, it's that I feel smugly satisfied about that. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Giovanna (08-19-2007 09:18:08 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#40 | Back to Top08-19-2007 10:58:38 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm surprised that Hiro Yuy didn't make it on to the list. He's one of the reasons that I can't stand the original Gundam.

And yeah, Anthy deserves a mention. So do Juri, Kozue, Ruka and even Mrs. Ohtori (cheating on her husband with her daughter's fiance and possibly poisoning her husband? Hell yes). But I guess there just wasn't enough room in the space for the article.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#41 | Back to Top08-19-2007 11:52:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

You forgot Wakaba for attempting murder of the main character, Shattered! She should've been tried a loong time ago emot-rofl

#42 | Back to Top08-20-2007 06:18:45 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Nearly every single character is cruel to someone else although it is often just thoughtlessness. There is little or no deliberate sadism; not even from Akio.

#43 | Back to Top08-21-2007 01:42:14 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Does "jerk" really imply deliberate sadism? I always thought of it as just meaning a sort of thoughtless selfishness and insensitivity. That is, me. Deliberate cruelty falls more under "asshole." Of course, you can't really compile a list of assholes in a magazine read by kids, even if kids are only part of the readership base. The parents would complain.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#44 | Back to Top08-21-2007 06:57:58 AM

Amiki-chan
Saionji Slapper

According to dictionary.com a jerk is....

4. Slang. a contemptibly naive, fatuous, foolish, or inconsequential person.

...Nanami?

jk emot-biggrin

No clue who made this (or any of my avatars really) so if it was you let me know...and I'll give you credit!

#45 | Back to Top08-21-2007 08:00:00 PM

Jellineck

There is, Giovanna, the overlying thing that we have to remember; jerk is a fun superficial way to write off someone as a simple label, so we don't have to peer underneath the surface. We become disturbed if we do find ourselves identifying, and often such labels are used as wholly protective measures.

The point is, the greater the need for that classification, the more complimentary it is to the series. It means that it resounds quite deeply with the viewers, disturbing them and taking them beyond the comfort zone of one-dimensional Anime characters. Some of the characters on that list are by far the most fascinating in the series (i.e. Vegeta, quite inarguably, stands out as rather complex comparatively in relation to the rest of SKU), but it's quite a bit easier to use a simple and amusing classification to both a) summarize the character neatly and b) distance ourself from what we initially find very disturbing.

I find it to be a great compliment to this show that it beat, oh, happy shows like Elfen Lied or (whatever the hell it's called) that is noted for its very disturbing and graphic content. Think about it - Utena is relatively tame. Even when Anthy stabs Utena (oh, spoiler, btw) there is little to no blood. In fact, you don't really see any blood through the whole series (which is a major metaphor, I think). I mean, there's some sexual content and incest, but compared to Angel Sanctuary, it's kid-friendly.

So why does it strike such a chord? I leave it as a testament to fantastic character development, unpredictability, and a story that doesn't give any straight answers. Like a Lynch movie, you often see what you want to see i.e. is the Chairman's tower really a building or a gigantic celestial penis? You decide! The fact that with so much subtlety, it can disturb so many people is...amazing, quite frankly.

I think there are identifiable characteristics to anyone who watches Utena, due to the fact the characters are exceedingly human. The casual viewer, however, decides not to relate and instead focuses on the lack of a cohesive plotline and the intense surrealism. A sort of denial complex, as you will. I, for one, just enjoy the irony that so many people get intensely unnerved by a show with no blood, nudity, or drugs.

"This is an especially obvious question for me, being that my favorite characters (the ones I relate to) are Akio and Saionji. If someone (I'd say justly in this case ) says they're jerks, and I relate to them, well that probably makes me a jerk. And if that doesn't make me a jerk, the shiteating grin I get whenever Akio does something bad probably makes me a jerk."

I relate to Kazutaka Muraki, but it doesn't mean I go around raping and killing people. I don't mean to be intensely personal here, but from what I've read of your essays (which I've thoroughly enjoyed, btw), you probably relate to/admire Akio's capabilities more than his deeds. Akio is excellent with reading body gestures, analyzing people down to their core motivations, and is skilled in the greatest trick of manipulation - letting others believe they have the power it is he who has the keys. He makes things fall into line with little to no direct interference. Unlike other villains who use power, force, or supernatural ability - Akio relies only upon his intelligence and his manipulation. And yet, that controls the entire series.

Not denying there's a good amount of fun in gleefully watching his evil antics, but despite notions of good or evil, he is an artist and that's something to be respected.

Wow. Quite an essay. Anyway. #1 jerk was Chu-Chu. I effing hated that thing.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#46 | Back to Top08-25-2007 12:36:03 AM

Jellineck

Nothin' like freezin' a discussion cold. Ooooooh yeah. *thrusts hips*

#47 | Back to Top08-25-2007 03:02:30 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Nothin' like freezin' a discussion cold. Ooooooh yeah. *thrusts hips*

It can't be that cold, my nipples aren't hard.

I mean, er... I'm going to reply in a day or so, bit busy right now. emot-smile

#48 | Back to Top08-26-2007 04:00:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

brian wrote:

Nearly every single character is cruel to someone else although it is often just thoughtlessness. There is little or no deliberate sadism; not even from Akio.

I would agree with this, but the series, like life, tends to blur ruthlessness and deliberate sadism. They can resemble one another, and sometimes the only difference is a hidden smile.

We do see Akio's.

Jellineck wrote:

There is, Giovanna, the overlying thing that we have to remember; jerk is a fun superficial way to write off someone as a simple label, so we don't have to peer underneath the surface. We become disturbed if we do find ourselves identifying, and often such labels are used as wholly protective measures.

You're certainly right on that. I can't say how many times Yasha and I have discussed a character in depth, only to end the conversation with a silly grin and a comment that they're just a jerk. Like we think they're jerks simply because they're so hard to understand, even when they are frighteningly like us.

For the more casual viewer, it's not so much that they're jerks because they put us to the great trouble of figuring them out, but that they're jerks because they demand that, and a lot of people can't/won't put in the effort, and probably not as often out of laziness as you would think.

Jellineck wrote:

I think there are identifiable characteristics to anyone who watches Utena, due to the fact the characters are exceedingly human. The casual viewer, however, decides not to relate and instead focuses on the lack of a cohesive plotline and the intense surrealism.

That, at least, seems somewhat deliberate. It's a really colorful show, and it's also a bish-fest. One can easily make their way through most of the series by looking at the pretty boys/girls and being wowed by seizure-inducing brightness of the series. Granted at that point you've gotten no more out of SKU than you'd have gotten out og Weizz Kreuz, but if that's as far as you dug into SKU, WK was probably more your speed anyway.

Jellineck wrote:

A sort of denial complex, as you will. I, for one, just enjoy the irony that so many people get intensely unnerved by a show with no blood, nudity, or drugs.

A lot of the aforementioned people that got 'nothing' out of SKU do seem to be militantly so about it. I've met people like that in other arenas. Where I live, once in a while, I encounter the deliberate political ignoramus. They know just enough about current events to decide they don't want to know any more. Some SKU fans are like that, and that that happens as often as it does in either case is kinda disquieting. For most of history, ignorance has been forced on the majority of people living at any given moment. Now a lot of us choose it voluntarily.

Jellineck wrote:

I don't mean to be intensely personal here, but from what I've read of your essays (which I've thoroughly enjoyed, btw), you probably relate to/admire Akio's capabilities more than his deeds. Akio is excellent with reading body gestures, analyzing people down to their core motivations, and is skilled in the greatest trick of manipulation - letting others believe they have the power it is he who has the keys. He makes things fall into line with little to no direct interference. Unlike other villains who use power, force, or supernatural ability - Akio relies only upon his intelligence and his manipulation. And yet, that controls the entire series.

Not denying there's a good amount of fun in gleefully watching his evil antics, but despite notions of good or evil, he is an artist and that's something to be respected.

Oh poppycock! This is an intensely personal forum already, why should I wuss out now? emot-wink

You're right though, mostly. It's the skill set I admire, not necessarily what he does with it. The problem arises when I realize, given the same abilities...I'd probably do much the same thing with them. Power corrupts, and all. Obviously I wouldn't do exactly the same things he does since my circumstances would be different, but I don't really think I can say I'd be above some of the uglier tricks he pulls. I'd only need to take the step Akio doesn't bother with: justification of my actions. And since most of the people I'd run into in my pursuits are Touga rather than Utena, justification would not be hard.

As for the gleefully watching Akio's antics....the nicer I've been to people on a certain day, and the more I've wanted to make others happy...the more I admire his vicious lack of concern for everyone around him. He may be trapped in his coffin, but there's a certain freedom in not having to give a shit about others that makes me envy him.

I'm such a prince, huh? emot-redface

#49 | Back to Top08-27-2007 12:45:39 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

It's interesting to compare the Tatsuya-Wakaba-Saoinji triangle to the Shiori-Juri-Ruka triangle. There is lots of cruelty in both but in the first one it is mostly thoughlessness.

#50 | Back to Top07-15-2008 06:18:37 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

MissMocha wrote:

I never realized how weird the word "jerk" was until this thread.

It's a strange word.

I've just discovered word 'poppycock' in that thread, and it's just wonderful.
Poppycock. At first I thought it's cock with tatoos of poppies on it. emot-rofl

[...Tummy is second on my list.]

Board footer