This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-28-2007 01:43:34 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Name Name what's in a name your own or one in SKU explained

My name's kind of funny, because Blake, which is derived from Old English, can mean either "dark" or "pale," depending on which word you think it was derived from. My middle name Richard is pretty basic, meaning "brave power," and my last name translates roughly as "priest." So am I a dark brave powerful priest or a light brave powerful priest?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#52 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:00:26 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yasha wrote:

It's not the accent that does that, and I know that. Forgive any aspersions cast, but it's the hick thing. The less educated and more rural a person is, the more likely they are to say 'Elner'. It goes for Americans too.

The Canada accent isn't as strong as you think either. Most of the people I hear every day are only a couple of dipthongs away from talking exactly like Americans. And me, well... an American friend of mine told me I was a bargain bin Canadian because I didn't say 'aboot' and I didn't say 'eh'. Not to mention I pick up accents fast. Like creepy fast. I talk to Americans on the phone all day, that's my job, so the moment I hear an American accent I'm speaking in an American accent. I shudder to think what will happen if I ever spend any time in Europe.

Perhaps the accent is stonger in eastern Canada, the only areas of Cananda I've been.  Or maybe that's just Ontario.  *shrugs* 

I totally understand that whole picking up accents thing.  The longer I spend around a person, the more I end up talking like them.  I can't do an accent on command, other than a terribly back Irish/Scotish accent and an Appalacian accent, but I'll pick up the more subtle muances of an area.  Except Pittsburgh.  I never picked up the Pittsburgh accent.  It drives me nuts.  No one should be using the word "y'ins" or "warsh" their clothes or root for the "Picksburgh Stillers".  *shudders*

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#53 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:04:12 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

...I must confess, I've been asked repeatedly if I'm from Canada, because I do have that bad "oo" for "ou" habit.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

has a smexy name

What a surprise! A smexy boy with a smexy name!

emot-wink

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#54 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:10:01 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

And you make me blush. You like that don't you? etc-love

#55 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:14:58 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

angelicreation wrote:

Perhaps the accent is stonger in eastern Canada, the only areas of Cananda I've been.  Or maybe that's just Ontario.  *shrugs* 

I totally understand that whole picking up accents thing.  The longer I spend around a person, the more I end up talking like them.  I can't do an accent on command, other than a terribly back Irish/Scotish accent and an Appalacian accent, but I'll pick up the more subtle muances of an area.  Except Pittsburgh.  I never picked up the Pittsburgh accent.  It drives me nuts.  No one should be using the word "y'ins" or "warsh" their clothes or root for the "Picksburgh Stillers".  *shudders*

It is stronger in the east, by a lot. Come out to Alberta, and you'll hear basically what you'd hear in Montana. Basically.

The only accent that bothers me is actually... Maine, I think. Where people say 'ayup' instead of 'yeah'. That irritates the hell out of me.

Edit: Actually, I've decided to include my analysis of Canadian accents here. British Columbia is mostly like Alberta, only slower and a bit more... Californian. That's the only way I can describe it. Alberta has a pretty rapid speech pattern, but in parts of the province, we tend to do the hick thing a lot more, pronouncing 'e' as 'ay' and running consonants together. That carries over into Saskatchewan, but they have different slang, like calling hoodies 'bunnyhugs'. Manitoba starts to run into the the Ontarian accent, it's the middle ground between saying 'eh' and 'aboot' and whatever the hell it is Albertans do. Ontarians are the classic Canadian accent. Strangely, even though they have arguably the most British influence, their accent doesn't sound much more British than mine. Quebec is where the frenchies are, and although I've never been there, I would imagine that the Quebecois accent reflects that. I can't separate out the Atlantic provinces, so anyone from there will have to forgive me. All I have to say about Newfoundland is 'Wow, it sounds like a drunken Scotsman imitating a hick'.

Or actually... I can do a phonetic transcript of a song I can sing in a Newfie accent. Here you are:

Eyesda byedat buildsda bote
an eyesda byedat sailzit
Eyesda byedat ketchizda fish
and bringzerome ta Laiza

Actual song, best rendering of the language I can guess at. Some is due to rhythm, and some is just Newfiespeak.

Last edited by Yasha (01-28-2007 02:31:44 AM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#56 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:18:44 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

ShatteredMirror wrote:

And you make me blush. You like that don't you? etc-love

...Maybe. emot-smile

Yasha and angelicreation wrote:

annoying accents

I have a deep and abiding hatred for Haitian. emot-mad As well as Portugese. emot-mad Mostly from work. Midwestern accents drive me crazy, 'cause they take so damned long to say anything.

#57 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:20:45 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Midwesterners are very attached to their accents. Like one I know who kept her accent (even though she normally picks them up very quickly) despite living for years in California. It's a point of pride for them to take forever to say anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

#58 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:27:09 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

No, unfortunatly, you're not. Gaaaah...they're all like "Don't........................talk.............so..............fast."

And meanwhile, I've aged about five years. emot-mad

It's like a point of pride to sound like they're talking around a mouthful of...

Corn. emot-wink

#59 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:38:38 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yasha wrote:

The only accent that bothers me is actually... Maine, I think. Where people say 'ayup' instead of 'yeah'. That irritates the hell out of me.

Every now and then you'll get an "ayup" out of me.  tell you what, no Aboots from you and no ayups from me and we'll be golden. 

*chuckles*  Thinking about your Canadian accent analysis made me think back to my trip to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan years ago.  I made the 11 hour trip by car to meet a guy, but that's a story for another day.  I swear crossing that damn suspension bridge was like driving into Canada.  They've got the accents and the lingo.  And these things called pasties, which we kept seeing advertised on billboards (without pictures) and me and my friends kept wondering what they really were, because they couldn't have been the same as the pasties for nipples.  As far as I'm concerned, Canada can have the UP of Michigan.  I don't want to ever hear another "yupper" again.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#60 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:45:38 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

...isn't a pastie a type of meat pie? emot-confused

Not much better then a nipple covering, I'll grant you, but I thought that's what they were in ref to food. Hmmmm...

#61 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:53:06 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yeah it is a type of meat pie.  This was discovered hours after the first sign advertising it and we asked our gracious host what they were.

Imagine two 22 year old women and one 18 year old boy on an 11 hour roadtrip to the UP where the last 3 hours of this trip (in early March during rather snowy weather) had pastie advertisments everywhere.  We were mighty bored by then.

#62 | Back to Top01-28-2007 05:58:57 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

morosemocha wrote:

...isn't a pastie a type of meat pie? emot-confused

Not much better then a nipple covering, I'll grant you, but I thought that's what they were in ref to food. Hmmmm...

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Cornish+pasty

#63 | Back to Top01-28-2007 01:06:35 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

I don't think Canadian has much of an accent.......well, not people in Ontario anyway.  But then Canada is so multicultural, so almost everyone has some kind of accent from where they were born.  Who says "about" as in "boot"??  It is supposed to be American or Canadian?  Everyone here says it as in "out".
Watch this if you haven't seen it before

My name is in Chinese.  I don't know what exactly it is supposed to mean.  It doesn't always have to have meaning.  I suppose my name might mean something like "gentle/proper" and "happy".

Last edited by Rushita (01-28-2007 01:10:28 PM)

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#64 | Back to Top01-28-2007 01:14:51 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Slow midwestern accents

It depends, though. Everyone in Chicago talks too fast. (This includes me.) But we're not "true" midwest, I suppose...

I got into a rather long argument about Chicago accents with a friend over the summer, actually. Another friend was looking on in amusement and went into total hysterics when the first friend was like "I don't get it! I've never heard a Chicago AAAAccent!" (Totally impossible to explain in typing, but basically imagine everything coming out through the nasal passages--especially the As. 'n they're all like the a in "back." AAAAAA.)

#65 | Back to Top01-28-2007 01:26:47 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

OMFG Alithea, marry me now. etc-love No one ever knows that! *calms down* Here's your prize of cookies, shaped in sexy Utena-character shapes.
If I had to pronounce your name, it would either be rather phonetically, or like 'aleetheah'. Which, I guess, properly spelled would be more like Alethia. Which also rings bells of books I've read and loved.....

I second the motion from angelicreation that you get to live a long and happy prosperous life.

Much like Yasha people seem to forget a letter whenever thry try to pronouce my name so I end up as Althea instead of Alithea. The traditional greek spelling is Alethea, but Alithea is also acceptable. I know an Alethea but her name is spelled Alitheia. It's funny because our parents pretty much got our names from the same place.

Unfortunately I'm taken so I can't marry you. I am surprised more people don't know where your name comes from, but I grew up watching the original movie. And most of the women in those stories get totally jacked. I think it's highly unfair.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#66 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:40:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Stuff about accents!

Actually I'm horribly deaf when it comes to accents, so I'm not much help here. But since I'm from out East I thought I'd at least share my pronunciation of about.

I tend to say it as 'a-boat' as in a sea going vessel.

I would like to say it as 'a-bout' as in a boxing match. But I only do this if I'm consciously trying.

I haven't noticed anyone around here (Halifax, NS) say 'a-boot' as in foot wear. Then again, I tend not to notice things.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#67 | Back to Top01-28-2007 03:27:33 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

When talking to people my age, Alithea, I get blank stares. 'Huh? What's that from?' Of course, I also had one online dick ask me if he could be my Paul. emot-aaa He was none too pleased with my response. Shame about you being taken, though.... emot-biggrin

I'm glad I can pronounce your name right, though. Makes me happy. etc-love

And, hey, stop bashing us midwesterners. I'm a Michiganian and I trip over my words sometimes, I talk that speedy. Texans, they're the ones who make a killing at slow-speech drawls.

I'm also terrible at picking up accents. A guy I know is from Scotland (born and raised there) and I always pick up his accent when I talk to him. I always feel like he'll think I'm mocking him.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#68 | Back to Top01-28-2007 04:28:29 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

My first name is Latin, means "light" or "bright." My middle name means "industrious," and my surname is kind of debatable. Basically, though, it implies my family is from Buckinghamshire. Although the family has a current theory that my great-great grandmother took it as a joke as she boarded the ship to New Zealand in London. Funny woman, apparently. emot-biggrin

And I just have to giggle at the accent thread, as I was just complaining about accents in the travel thread. I'm a natural mimic, so after several days in a foreign country, even if I don't speak the language I'll start talking like the natives. Although I am living in England right now I am desperately fighting to keep my Southern New Zealand accent (which, incidentally, Anthony Hopkins does a fair version of; it's a weird accent mind you, I don't blame him for screwing it up a little), but I still say things in the fashion of a Northerner from Yorkshire, which makes me want to spork myself. Argh.

Still, I have been asked (both while living here AND at home; that's how screwy my natural accent is) if I am: Scottish, Irish (mainly Northern, but occasionally I get the Republic as well), British, Canadian, American, Australian, South African and Rhodesian. The last one really amused me. emot-tongue And people always try to justify the Irish thing by saying that I LOOK Irish, which I also find hilarious. Accents are good fun. Especially as mine is really going to pot now I am working with two Poles and a Lithuanian. emot-dance

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#69 | Back to Top01-28-2007 04:49:03 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

This is an excerpt of most conversations I've had when I first meet people, older people especially, back before I left Louisiana to move out to Texas.

THEM: "Oh, you sound so nice when you talk, you can't be from here."

ME: "I was born and raised here."

THEM: "And you never lived anywhere else?"

ME: "No."

THEM: "Then, where are your parents from?"

ME: "Here, just like I am."

THEM: "Are you sure?"

ME: "Yes, I'm sure. Where do you think I might be from?"

THEM: "I don't know, but not here."

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#70 | Back to Top01-28-2007 05:28:17 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I pick up accents way too easily.

I've been told that I speak with a New York accent, which is strange, since I've never been to New York. For some reason, I always pronounce the word, "water," as, "woter."

#71 | Back to Top01-28-2007 05:35:32 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

PEOPLE ASK HER WHY SHE SOUNDS BETTER THAN HER CONTEMPARIES

Maybe you sound different due to being exposed to people who did come from elsewhere when you were younger and you picked up some of their speech patterns?  I know that's why I sound somewhat unusual, because of all the different homes of people I stayed over with while mum was at work, I had been exposed to Indian-Jewish accents, Scottish accents, Hungrian accents and even German accents when I was between the ages of 3-8 years of age and its 'currupted' my Aussie accent majorly.

#72 | Back to Top01-28-2007 07:58:24 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Razara wrote:

I pick up accents way too easily.

I know that feeling - I went to England for three weeks and came back with a London edge to my accent. I normally speak with a midwestern-ish accent despite NEVER having been to the midwest - I grew up in the northeast. I picked up my accent from my teachers in pre-school and kindergarten, all of whom had been imported from Witchita. People from my hometown will ask me where I'm originally from emot-mad However, my midwestern accent has been diluted by where I'm truly from, but I still don't sound like I'm from New England.

I'm currently picking up a bit of a southern accent despite having been in the American south for about four months. I find many southern accents to be pleasantly melodic (not the foothills ones), but I do not wish to possess one myself - I like my messed up accent the way it is! emot-mad

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#73 | Back to Top01-29-2007 01:21:27 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I've had people ask if I'm from Virginia and at other times if I'm from Wisconsin. Keep in mind, I've never been to Wisconsin and I've only been to Virginia once for a couple of days.

#74 | Back to Top01-29-2007 10:32:01 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

The Canada accent isn't as strong as you think either. Most of the people I hear every day are only a couple of dipthongs away from talking exactly like Americans. And me, well... an American friend of mine told me I was a bargain bin Canadian because I didn't say 'aboot' and I didn't say 'eh'. Not to mention I pick up accents fast. Like creepy fast. I talk to Americans on the phone all day, that's my job, so the moment I hear an American accent I'm speaking in an American accent. I shudder to think what will happen if I ever spend any time in Europe.

I have the same thing happen to me all the time and it is creepy becuase if i am in the other area long enough i sound like a different person....and over the phone my friend did not recall my voice and hung up on me... 2 times  emot-mad

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#75 | Back to Top01-29-2007 10:52:01 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

PREPARE!

THE GREAT MYSTERY SURROUNDING THE NAME HYACINTH BLACK WILL BE DISPELLED!!! OOHOOO!!

My own name is Kristeva Daniel Revey-Atkins.  Impressive, heh?  My friends call me either Yuki, Hyacinth, Hamster, or Daniel.  My first name means 'the eve of Christ's death' in Hungarian or maybe German have to ask my mom on that one.  Daniel was my father's mother's maiden name.  Actually, my middle name being Daniel is a most odd coincidence as it was also the name of my dead husband's lover. (who is also dead)

As far as nicknames and explanations go... eh.  I have too many.  They change so often.  My closest friends (& my on-again off-again girlfriend) call me Yuki.  That comes from the anime Gravitation.  Most people say that I look like that Yuki.  Only I don't smoke.  Hyacinth Black, being also my forum name, is a pen name that I chose for myself out of the blue.  I don't know how I thought of it, but now that I have it, I love it.  Then again, there was this nanny I had when I was two & her name was Hyacinth.  She was black.  Hmm... who knows.  Hamster comes from... well... hamsters.  I like hamsters so much & people say I act a lot like one.  My parents call me Hamster as well as some friends.  Daniel... well you already know where that came from.

SO!

THE MYSTERY IS DISPELLED!

... fun...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

Board footer