This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-31-2006 07:51:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

I actually suck at trivia. emot-frown Let's go with some movie trivia, most of which I've gathered listening to my mother's film nerd boyfriend. school-eng101

Night at the Museum
is a movie about the American Museum of Natural History, and The Thomas Crown Affair has the Metropolitan Museum of Art as a major setting and plot device. Neither of these movies got to use the actual museums as sets; they were refused and had to make sets of their own, although some scenes of the 'MET' in the latter actually were filmed in the New York Public Library.

In The Devil's Advocate, a scene takes place on the roof of a building in downtown Manhattan. One would naturally assume this is bluescreened all to hell, but it is actually filmed on location. No one tried to push Keanu Reeves off the ledge, regrettably.

Also in The Devil's Advocate, a NYC real estate tycoon is accused of killing his wife. Donald Trump found this highly amusing, and the scenes of the tycoon's gaudy, opulent apartment are shot in Donald Trump's gaudy, opulent apartment.

In Jaws, the actors had a difficult time with many of their lines because they burst out laughing at the mechanical shark whenever they saw it. The mechanical sharks, for their part, repeatedly broke down, and Spielberg called them 'the great white turd'. There was much surprise when audiences turned out to be scared shitless of the ridiculous thing.

For Jurassic Park, Spielberg originally wanted the velociraptors to be 10 feet tall, but no one would let him do this since they're not actually that size. During filming, a breed of raptor was found that is, in fact, 10 feet tall.

Whee Godfather trivia!
-When it was decided Al Pacino would be playing the part of Michael, he was already contracted to be in another film. Certain disreputable 'connections' were rumored to have played a part in his being released from the contract.
-The horse's head is real.
-The scene where Sonny beats up Carlo on the street has a grossly fake looking punch in it, but actually resulted in two broken ribs.
-In the Godfather II, when the mother dies, she originally refused to be shot in the coffin because she believed it would put a hex on her. (Real greaseball stuff.) The woman in the coffin is Francis Ford Coppola's own mother.
-Al Pacino wanted much more money than he was offered to come on for part 3, but agreed to the original offer when Coppola threatened to start the movie with Michael's funeral.
-The scenes of Sicily are shot in a town called Savoca. My father grew up there and frequently went to the bar that's shown in the movie. (Okay not trivia but pretty damn cool, I say.)

Okay, Godfather not your flavor? Lord of the Rings!
-David Bowie wanted the part of Elrond.
-All the languages used in Lord of the Rings are actually the languages Tolkien wrote.
-All the actors who played roles as the nine that left Rivendell together have tattoos of a 9 somewhere on their bodies. Even McKellen.
-The actor that played Gimli, a dwarf, was the tallest of the actors in the fellowship.
-Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn. emot-gonk You've seen The Vampire Lestat right? Then you understand my emot-gonk.
-The song Pippin sings to Denethor was written by Billy Boyd, the actor that played him. Viggo Mortensen also wrote for himself the song Aragorn sings when he's crowned.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:38:04 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Giovanna wrote:

The scenes of Sicily are shot in a town called Savoca. My father grew up there and frequently went to the bar that's shown in the movie. (Okay not trivia but pretty damn cool, I say.)

Coolest. Thing. Ever.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#28 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:53:10 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

That Jesus Christ's middle name was not H?

His last name wasn't Christ, for that matter and "Jesus" is the Greek version of his name - none of his disciples, much less his relatives called him that way.

People actually drive better after having one drink than they do when they have no drinks.

I wonder where this comes from - I imagine the idea is that it relaxes the nerves, or something. I doubt that safety-officals would agree, though. I also wonder what kind of drink it means - lets have a drink of absinth and go to drive! emot-rolleyes

-All the actors who played roles as the nine that left Rivendell together have tattoos of a 9 somewhere on their bodies. Even McKellen.

Except John Rhys-Davies, the actor of Gimli, if I remember correctly - I believe that his short-stunt got the honour, instead.

Well, if I can't spout trivia off the bat, at least I can correct other people's trivia. cool

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#29 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:41:28 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Lightice wrote:

People actually drive better after having one drink than they do when they have no drinks.

I wonder where this comes from - I imagine the idea is that it relaxes the nerves, or something. I doubt that safety-officals would agree, though. I also wonder what kind of drink it means - lets have a drink of absinth and go to drive! emot-rolleyes

Actually, this was discovered in a psychological study conducted by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The reason one drives better after consuming one drink is that they over-compensate for themselves safety-wise - so, it has nothing to do with calming one's nerves, as the people actually force themselves to be more alert to make up for any drop in perception due to the alcohol.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#30 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:16:38 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Uh. Let's see.

...damn. I usually have tons of nonsense up my sleeves. I'll come back.

I did enjoy reading the tidbits, though.

#31 | Back to Top01-01-2007 07:59:55 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Actually, this was discovered in a psychological study conducted by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The reason one drives better after consuming one drink is that they over-compensate for themselves safety-wise - so, it has nothing to do with calming one's nerves, as the people actually force themselves to be more alert to make up for any drop in perception due to the alcohol.

So it works as a strange kind of placebo thought it might be better if they could have a drink that only feels like you are drunk like that  Synthehol stuff they have in Start Trek.

#32 | Back to Top01-02-2007 12:27:00 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oh, here's one that I can't give evidence for, but I am an eyewitness to it:

Some people actually think that the movie "National Treasure" was based on the truth.

I kid you not. Or at least they did.

#33 | Back to Top01-02-2007 08:10:32 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

I'm not sure exactly what compensates for "trivia" but I do know a lot of random facts.

-In The Alphabet of Ben Sira, an apocryphal medieval Jewish work, Adam had three wives- Lilith, an unamed second wife, and Eve.

-Satan's "angelic" name was "Satanail", though it is sometimes thought to be "Samael" as well.

-In The Joy of Lesbian Sex it is reported 95% of lesbians regularily orgasm during sex versus 30% of straight women in a study of 3,000.

-The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is thought by some to be a fig tree, others Tamarind.

-The state of California declared itself a Republic for about a month during the Mexican-American war before the US navy showed up and declared it to be US territory. Apparently no one disputed the claim.

#34 | Back to Top01-02-2007 08:34:13 PM

Toulouse
Saionji Slapper

Here's a fun little movie fact.  In the movie Princess Bride the actor (can't remember his name for the life of me) who played Inigo Montoya was too drunk to do the scene where Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini kidnap Buttercup in the guise of lost circus performers.  If you look closey you can see that Inigo is actually a cardboard cutout. I kid you not!

EDIT
link for the picture...not that high quality though
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/ … ride02.jpg

Last edited by Toulouse (01-02-2007 08:40:11 PM)

#35 | Back to Top01-02-2007 08:40:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Toulouse wrote:

Here's a fun little movie fact.  In the movie Princess Bride the actor (can't remember his name for the life of me) who played Inigo Montoya was too drunk to do the scene where Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini kidnap Buttercup in the guise of lost circus performers.  If you look closey you can see that Inigo is actually a cardboard cutout. I kid you not!

I knew there was a reason I loved Mandy Patinkin.  etc-love

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#36 | Back to Top01-02-2007 11:02:43 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Toulouse wrote:

EDIT
link for the picture...not that high quality though
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/ … ride02.jpg

I lol'ed my pants. That's hollywood ingenuity.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#37 | Back to Top01-02-2007 11:52:27 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That is too awesome.

#38 | Back to Top01-03-2007 02:20:39 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

For the Sex Pistols first concert in Manchester, every member in the audience became famous except for the mailman. 
He stayed a mailman
(Yay for 24 Hour Party People, it's a good movie)

All of these little tidbits are amazing, expecialy the Princess Bride one.  I always thought that sceene seemed kinda off...

Last edited by Iris (01-03-2007 02:22:25 AM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#39 | Back to Top01-03-2007 08:35:15 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

skewed_tartan wrote:

-The state of California declared itself a Republic for about a month during the Mexican-American war before the US navy showed up and declared it to be US territory. Apparently no one disputed the claim.

I thought only texas did that O.o

skewed_tartan wrote:

-In The Alphabet of Ben Sira, an apocryphal medieval Jewish work, Adam had three wives- Lilith, an unamed second wife, and Eve.

I knew that one but never new where it came, now I know thank you emot-smile

-Satan's "angelic" name was "Satanail", though it is sometimes thought to be "Samael" as well.

I heard that Satan wasn't the same as Lucifer and Lucifer wasn't the same as Samael @.@

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#40 | Back to Top01-03-2007 08:46:07 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

You heard right? emot-smile

A flying fish can leap out of water to a height of twenty times its own length and travel a distance equal to three football fields before landing. (Or maybe it should be called watering?)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#41 | Back to Top01-04-2007 03:06:04 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Romanticide wrote:

I heard that Satan wasn't the same as Lucifer and Lucifer wasn't the same as Samael @.@

And also, Satan's angelic name was, well, Satan, which means Accuser since his function in God's service, according to the Hebrews is to seek out disloyalty towards God and punish it. In his original function in early Judaism Satan was God's servant, his son, even. Remember the book of Job where the "sons of God" gather around him, Satan among them?

The thing is that Satan has had plenty of roles in his time, as well as lots of current and "original" names. Sometimes Lucifer, Satan and Samael have been the same entity, other times not. In some times Lucifer has actually been Jesus - I believe that at least some translations of the Bible still have that quirk. If you stick your head in theology, especially the side of demonology, don't expect consistency or logic, there.

Last edited by Lightice (01-04-2007 03:09:34 AM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#42 | Back to Top01-04-2007 04:29:19 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

This is turning out pretty well I think, I was hoping that when someone sprouts out some odd trivia, that it will stir up discussion and arguement. emot-keke

#43 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:06:35 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Barbie was based off a german sex doll named Lilli. ( I always knew she was a "career girl.")

In the recent movie A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints in one of the scenes, when the boys are at a convience store there is a pack of Listerine Breath Strips in the background. Funny, Listerine Breath Strips were not around in the 70s.

It is possible to literally "drop dead" a pulmonary embolism, is when a blood clot is carried through the blood stream and to the heart, killing the person. And it's second to sudden cause death which is cardiac arrest.

Madonna is able to work with a lot of producers -except Moby- he's repeatedly turned down her requests.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#44 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:35:02 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

I remembered some.

If you cut some species of starfish in pieces , each piece will become a starfish... well actually that is the way they reproduce emot-tongue

A starfish has two stomachs and takes out one to eat it's prey then takes it in again

Atila died while having sex, as a friend say he didn't come... he was gone

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Barbie was based off a german sex doll named Lilli. ( I always knew she was a "career girl.')

Really? O.o

#45 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:40:13 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

yes my friend, a sex doll. Miss Barbie?I've misjudged you! I'm so shocked! ( well not really...)

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1997/11/26harlot.html

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#46 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:46:24 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Barbie was based off a german sex doll named Lilli. ( I always knew she was a "career girl.")

Crikey! That tidbit of information tainted my childhood somewhat but it makes you wonder if the Bratz dolls are based on something equally as suspect. school-freud

#47 | Back to Top01-05-2007 05:34:02 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Tamago wrote:

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Crikey! That tidbit of information tainted my childhood somewhat but it makes you wonder if the Bratz dolls are based on something equally as suspect. school-freud

At least barbie looked like a top class prostitute!!! Bratz look like the cheapest of the cheap and has the most awful colagen operation I have ever seen except for maybe this(http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/)

#48 | Back to Top01-05-2007 06:03:51 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/scaryface.jpg

Now thats a face that only a mummy lioness could love. emot-gonk

#49 | Back to Top01-05-2007 08:37:37 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

--The Autobahn was constructed during the Third Reich and used as Nazi propaganda, and the Volkswagon was specifically engineered so that the average Joe Blow German could afford a car and drive on the Autobahn.

#50 | Back to Top01-05-2007 08:41:31 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Volkswagon Bug = The only good thing to come out of Nazi germany, that and shows like Hogan's Heroes and maybe the SS uniforms which makes for great suited fetish wear *hehe* school-devil

Board footer