This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-29-2006 05:47:28 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

Why am I starting this thread?

It is because I know that everyone in this forum is bound to have lots of interesting, fun and sometimes pointless trivia/factiods/information crapped in their little heads and they rarely if ever get much of a chance to use these facts in day to day life so now you have a joint to post all sorts of trivia you are dying to show off to boost your ego or whatever motive you might have.

I start things off.

'Did you know that bananas are actually classified as both a herb and fruit?'

A banana is classed as a fruit because it contains the seeds of the plant, though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to mere specks. However, the banana plant, though it is called a 'banana-tree' in popular usage, is technically a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain any actual woody tissue.

#2 | Back to Top12-29-2006 06:20:44 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Re: Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

Donald duck was once banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

There is a statistical increase of crimes when there is a full moon.

The oscar statues given out during WWII were made of wood because metal was too scarce.

Bats always fly left when exiting caves.

Alfred Hitchcock used chocolate sauce as the blood in Psycho's shower scene. (Yum!)

A woman in California once legally married a 200-pound rock.

I love trivia so much.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#3 | Back to Top12-29-2006 06:46:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

hyacinth_black wrote:

LOTS OF TRIVIA EXCEPT FOR ONE THAT I DID NOT KNOW BEFORE

Thats pretty impressive emot-keke

The only one I knew before was the Alfred Hitchcock one.

Now for more fun facts:

Male scorpions fertilised the female ones by coming on the ground and dragging the female over it?

That in Sardinia, the local delicacy is maggots on pecorino cheese?

If you were placed on top of Mt. Everest without the weeks of acclimatising, you would suffocate within a few minutes from the lack of oxygen?

More people die from eating sharks than from being eaten BY sharks?

That scientists have been trying to genetically engineer actual Blue Roses without any true success?

Last edited by Tamago (12-29-2006 09:36:40 PM)

#4 | Back to Top12-29-2006 09:34:43 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Black and White films usually used milk in rain scenes since it showed up better

Cary Grant's real name was Archibald Leach, and in the movie Arsenic and Old Lace, there was a tombstone with that name on it, in his honor.

Cinderella Castle in Walt Disney World is fabricated completly of fiberglass (despite this, a woman tried to sue Disney, saying that a brick fell from the castle and hit her on the head emot-rolleyes)

Walt Disney was a virulant smoker, but was careful not to be pictured with a cigarette (there are pics, but he tried hard to discourage them) as he thought it was a digusting habit.

Shel Silverstein, beloved children's author was a favored cartoonist for Playboy.

A Spanish farthingale is conical. An Elizabethan is drum shaped.

Leeroy Jenkins was a Jeopardy clue.

Alan Alda was the son of vaudeville artists, and his mother was schizophrenic.

I'll post more when i think of things.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#5 | Back to Top12-29-2006 09:56:50 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

This thread has the potential to make me sad.

Anyway I heard a peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. It's a legume so in the same family as beans.

(The bit about Donald Duck is false, by the way. emot-smile )

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#6 | Back to Top12-29-2006 10:00:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

morosemocha wrote:

PLENTY OF INTERESTING FACTS

I vaguely recall something about raining milk but all those others, I had no idea at all. emot-keke

That India has more 'Guiness Book of Records' holders than anywhere else in the world.

That it is possible to order a non-alcoholic version of the ‘Screaming Orgasm’ called the ‘Fake Orgasm’.

That 'Pop-Tarts' were once called 'Country Squares'.

#7 | Back to Top12-29-2006 10:28:38 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Haha, Yeah, Tamago, this board would clean up on a trivia game. Want some more Disney stuff? Sure ya do:

Lilo and Stitch was the first animated film since Bambi to use watercolor backgrounds (Disney film at least)

In Beauty and the Beast, Gaston was originally supposed to be the hunter that killed Bambi's mother (this was scrapped, because  they thought it might be too traumatizing)

Susan Egan is the first actress to have played a Disney heroine on stage and in film -as the voice of Megara in Hercules, and as Belle on Broadway.

Beauty and the Beast is the first time that a movie and a stageshow based on the movie have opened on the same day (Beauty and The Beast LIVE! at Disney MGM Studios (one of the places I used to work emot-keke, hence why so much BatB trivia)

Beauty and The Beast was the first animated feature to ever be nominated for Best Film Oscar

Walt Disney was given a special Achievement Oscar for his work on Snow White -it consisted of one regular sized statue, and seven "dwarf" Oscars (presented by Shirley Temple).

Chris Sanders, the creator, producer and lead animator for Lilo And Stitch was the lead designer for Mulan, as well as a chief story artist for -duh dun duh- Beauty and the Beast! (When I was very serious about working in animation, he was my hero -he still is emot-keke)

The Little Mermaid was the last hand animated feature produced by Disney. Starting with Beauty and the Beast, the switch was made to the original animation program, CAPS. Still, The Little Mermaid has the distinction of having the first attempt by Disney of computer animation -a very brief scene where Ariel is running down the staircase jsut in time to hear Eric's announcement of his wedding to "Vanessa."

The sidewalks at EPCOT are a pink concrete specifically mixed to make grass look greener.

Also, botanists, or whatever they're called when they make new plants, at WDW created a spcial strain of grass that grows about 1 inch per year in typical florida weather -it's vacumed every night. emot-keke

Ask me about a disney film. I can probably tell you something you don't know. But stick with animated features -that's kinda' my specialty.

p.s. what's in a screaming orgasm? the drink, I mean. ;)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#8 | Back to Top12-29-2006 10:46:09 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Seyfert Galaxies, Double Radio Sources, and Pulsars are all actually the same thing, just merely viewed from different angles.

A brown giant is a gaseous astronomical body which isn't big enough to have begun hydrogen fusion in its core, yet is still too big to be considered a planet.

It is illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder in Massachusetts.

The average life expectancy in Andorra for females in 112 years.

Snakes on a Plane grossed about $60 million worldwide.

Xena and Gabrielle, the two recently discovered astronomical bodies, have been officially named Eris and Dysnomia.

Ixtab is the Mayan goddess of the noose.

If consumed, lilies of the valley can cause a person to go into a coma.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#9 | Back to Top12-29-2006 10:57:53 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm afraid the blue rose thing isn't true anymore - they were successfully engineered in 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rose

You can buy them here, http://www.blueroseflorist.com/ but they only ship to the Toronto area.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#10 | Back to Top12-29-2006 11:25:02 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm not good at random facts, despite the fact that my brain is full of stuff I'll never actually need.

Male bed bugs regularly mate by injecting the sperm directly into her abdomem with their sharp penises instead of actual sex.

On top of this, some species of beg bug go even farther by stab-raping other males and inserting his sperm packet into the other male's testes so in the event when that male gets lucky he'll fertilise the female with the original male's sperm.

Ceres, like pluto, was once considered a planet.

A male duck was once observed raping another male playmate for an hour and a half after his death.

The Olmecs were considered the first Native American culture (possibly the first culture in the world) with a documented concept of zero,

Naked Mole rats regularly defecate in eachother's mouths.

Kudzu can grow more than a foot a day.

Several species of whiptail lizard have no males.

emot-gonk

Last edited by Hinotori (12-29-2006 11:30:59 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#11 | Back to Top12-29-2006 11:56:17 PM

A Day Without Me

Several species of African frogs can swap genders.

The first mahou shoujo anime to air was Mahou no Princess Minky Momo.

Bustenhalter is the German word for bra.

In Chicago on St. Patrick's Day they dye the river green.

Appalachian State University won the D-II NCAA Football Championship this year, for the second year in a row; they defeated UMass Amherst to win.

The sports rivalry among the North Carolina universities of UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest is known as Tobacco Road, although it is generally confined to their basketball teams.

Speaking of NC State, when they were defeated by Georgia Tech in a football game at home during the early 1990's the Georgia Tech team took down one of the goalposts, carried it up the berm, and carried it off into the night down the street.

Evgeni Plushenko won the silver medal in Men's Figure Skating at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.

The Boston Red Sox were originally known as the Boston Americans, and then the Boston Somersets, before officially becoming known as the Red Sox in 1907.

The Moravians, a Christian denomination, actually broke with the Catholic Church before the Protestant Reformation.

#12 | Back to Top12-30-2006 01:56:30 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

I used to like trivia... until I became obsessed with snopes.com. Now I don't believe a word I hear. emot-gonk

#13 | Back to Top12-30-2006 03:52:09 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well, Snopes does confirm some things to be true. And The Straight Dope is great for random things too.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#14 | Back to Top12-30-2006 04:07:22 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Well, Snopes does confirm some things to be true. And The Straight Dope is great for random things too.

That's true. Love 'em. emot-dance

#15 | Back to Top12-30-2006 04:12:14 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

morosemocha wrote:

p.s. what's in a screaming orgasm? the drink, I mean. ;)

1 part Vodka
1/2 part Kahlua
1 1/2 parts Baileys Irish Cream

I wish I knew what was involved in making a 'Fake Orgasm' but I am unaware of whats involved.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I'm afraid the blue rose thing isn't true anymore - they were successfully engineered in 2004.

Shatter-kun I checked those sites and they say that they didn't create a true Blue rose, ther nearest was a dark burgundy rose and the other site mentions that they use white rose buds that are cut from the plant and cultivated in a blue solution for a short time so that the blue colour can grow into the petals.

So they cannot create a true Blue Rose just yet.

A Day Without Me wrote:

Several species of African frogs can swap genders.

Well did you know that the Australian Barramundi fish are all born male but grow up to become female? (I guess that makes me a reverse human barramundi then)

Wow! there sure has been a lot of freaky trivia been displayed recently..... cool! cool

#16 | Back to Top12-30-2006 05:59:27 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Donald duck was once banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

This is false, actually. There were once complaints about him, here because he doesn't wear pants, but then some amateur artist made a picture of him wearing pants and looking absolutely retarded and suddenly the flow of complaints ceased. For most part, Donald Duck has been extremely popular for the whole time he's been published here.

I'm not very good at this kind of trivia - my mind is overflowing with random facts, but rarely anything composed enough to make a witty-sounding comments like these.

Xena and Gabrielle, the two recently discovered astronomical bodies, have been officially named Eris and Dysnomia.

Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!

I suspect that a Discordian or two were influencing in those names...

Last edited by Lightice (12-30-2006 06:01:27 AM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#17 | Back to Top12-30-2006 10:52:37 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

The air speed velocity of an African sparrow is eqivelent to...ah hell if I know. school-eng101

I'm with Lightace, I know pleanty of random facts, but trivia wise... emot-frown
Maybe if I can think of a topic I can raddle of some things.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#18 | Back to Top12-30-2006 06:16:33 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

"714" was the stamp number on Quaaludes. It was also the badge number of Detective Sergeant Friday on Dragnet.

Mickey Mouse's original name was Mortimer, but was changed because Walt Disney's wife didn't like the original name.

Humans are born with 213 bones in their bodies, not 206. The seven extra bones are the seven fragments of the skull, which fuse later to form the complete cranial bone.

The name of the Looney Tunes song is The Day the Carousel Broke Down.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#19 | Back to Top12-30-2006 09:52:51 PM

A Day Without Me

The Chik-Fil-A Bowl is the new name for what was formerly known as the Peach Bowl emot-gonk

Duke University's football team has lost twenty games in a row over two seasons.

Georgia Tech's school colors are known as the Old Gold and White.

The two schools that Wake Forest University's football team lost to in the regular season lost their bowl games (Clemson lost to South Carolina, and VaTech to Georgia).

Although UNC-Chapel Hill's sports teams are called the Tarheels, their mascot is actually a ram.

Elon University opened their law school this year.

North Carolina A&T hosts the Air Force ROTC unit of 13 area colleges.

The University of Tennesee at Knoxville uses a lottery system to determine which students can get tickets to home football games despite boasting the largest college football stadium in the nation.

UT-Knoxville's football stadium seats 107,000 people.

Rice University has the smallest undergrad class of all NCAA Division-I schools.

#20 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:40:02 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Did you know that pumpkins are actually a fruit?

That Jesus Christ's middle name was not H?

That HTML was invented in 1989?

Leo DaVinci designed the wheel-lock pistol?

That snails are hermaphrodites which inseminate in slits in the back of their necks?

Last edited by Tamago (12-31-2006 02:40:19 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-31-2006 12:58:43 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

morosemocha wrote:

Cary Grant's real name was Archibald Leach, and in the movie Arsenic and Old Lace, there was a tombstone with that name on it, in his honor.

There was also a nice reference to it in "His Girl Friday"--Grant said something along the lines of "THAT'S WHAT OLD ARCHIE LEACH SAID TO ME BEFORE HE DROPPED DEAD." I couldn't stop laughing.

Tamago wrote:

Are you kidding me? That was the year I was born. I knew me'n HTML were meant for each other. We have so much in common!

#22 | Back to Top12-31-2006 01:42:07 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm not that good at spouting off random facts either, but here's one of my favorites:

111,111,111 X 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#23 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:50:22 PM

A Day Without Me

The main impediment to the creation of a useful rail-gun is the overheating of the gun which causes the rails to melt.

Samsung has phased out the service light feature on their cellphones.

People actually drive better after having one drink than they do when they have no drinks.

#24 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:59:24 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Sharks never sleep and must continue to swim in order to breathe.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#25 | Back to Top12-31-2006 04:54:04 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Nessy wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Are you kidding me? That was the year I was born. I knew me'n HTML were meant for each other. We have so much in common!

Nope! I'm not kidding and I'm glad that this tidbit of information has made your day emot-keke

Board footer