This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-02-2016 02:48:17 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Any info on a UK Utena release?

As some of you may know, the only physical Utena release in the UK was the movie, published by MVM Films in 2008. Apparently it did not sell well (https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/603155599392641024), but in my opinion, that's to be expected when you release a film based on a show first before the show itself. However, after doing some research, I found that the entire series and the movie is available on the UK PlayStation Network store (the series published by Manga UK, the movie by its parent company, Starz Media). Does anyone know if the UK PSN release of the series is subbed, dubbed or both (the listing does not clarify)? £15 is a good deal for the whole series, but I would prefer it subbed.

I know the Utena fanbase isn't the biggest (especially in the UK), but I would just really like a physical release here. Nozomi's DVDs are Region 1 only (and pretty expensive to import), and it's likely that their upcoming BD set will be Region A only.

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#2 | Back to Top07-02-2016 05:43:15 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Re: Any info on a UK Utena release?

A fellow UK fan here!

This looked pretty cool, so I went to check it out - the fact that it was listed as 'audio: english stereo' and 'subtitles: -' made me think it might be dubbed, so I went to have a look at some other anime on the site. The fact that the rose of versailles for example is listed as 'audio: japanese stereo' and 'subtitles: english' seems to confirm that utena is only available here in the english dub.
I'd much prefer a sub as well, so I won't be buying it here... I'd love a dvd release as well tbh.

#3 | Back to Top07-03-2016 12:30:17 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

That's a real shame. Had it been subbed, I would almost certainly have bought it. It's also a shame in general that for Brits, Utena seems to be permanently in limbo (especially if a certain company is sitting on the UK rights and doing nothing with it).

#4 | Back to Top07-04-2016 04:13:13 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

£15 for the whole series? It was £1.49 per episode last time I checked on PSN. Is there a bundle?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#5 | Back to Top07-04-2016 04:22:09 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Yes, you can either get the episodes individually for £1.49 or the whole series in a bundle for £15. The movie is £5.99 to buy or £2.49 to rent on PSN, I believe.(Still baffling that you have to own a PlayStation of some kind if you legally want to watch Utena in the UK). Still, if these are dub only, then no sale.

#6 | Back to Top07-04-2016 11:42:51 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Might I suggest a Region-Free DVD Player? I'm an American, but I buy tons of DVDs from all over the world because I have a Coby. (UK and Japan are both Region 2 if I remember correctly, but I know Japan will hardly ever subtitle in Japanese, let alone English.) But if you are into American media, (or just want to get a hold of American distributed items) a Region-Free DVD player is a great way to go! emot-smile

Also, if you just want to watch the show and not own the DVDs, the whole series is up on YouTube for free by Nozomi (who are the current American distributors, so it is a legal upload). If it is regionally restricted you could use a proxy server or VPN. I do it all the time when I want to watch iPlayer. XP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA

Last edited by barafubuki (07-05-2016 12:06:44 AM)

#7 | Back to Top07-05-2016 01:43:50 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Those are all fine suggestions, and I do appreciate your input, barafubuki, but it wouldn't be the same as the series actually being released here, wishful thinking as that is (that, and the US and Australian DVDs are expensive to import). And yes, Nozomi's YouTube upload of the series is inaccessible for me.

Also, I contacted MVM Films (the UK publisher of the Utena movie back in 2008), and here's what they had to say:

'We only had the movie which did poorly [for understandable reasons]. So no plans for the series sorry.'

I'm not surprised by this response, as since they published the movie eight years ago, if they wanted to do the series, they likely would have done so by now. As for the understandable reasons, I've already guessed what those may be in the OP.

(Source: https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/749953231120371712)

Last edited by Zerokohai (07-05-2016 01:44:24 AM)

#8 | Back to Top07-05-2016 07:50:55 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

That truly is a shame as I would have probably gone with a British release as well, were if available and subbed, since importing anything from the States is so expensive, to the point there are times when skipping translations altogether and buying directly from Japan proves cheaper. Shipping fees from the States are often as much or even more than the actual anime content and in my particular case, occasionally entail a trip to the costums office for clearance which means more money. This has not happened in a while so odds are the regulations have changed but I will never forget how the Fafner bundle ended up about twice its actual price once the shipping fees and the costums clearance were added.

And yes, a Region-Free player is the way to go. I would not be able to play more than half of my media without one, being that it is mostly Japanese and Korean.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (07-05-2016 08:10:19 AM)

#9 | Back to Top07-05-2016 06:13:18 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Utena is just one of those shows that doesn't have a large appeal. I've had a hell of a time trying to get people into it. Even here in the States, it is not very popular. Though I have heard it has a niche appeal that has sustained as the years go by. There is a just constant trickle of interest keeping it alive.

I've had many encounters with native Japanese speakers who have inquired about my favorite anime. When I tell them it is Shoujo Kakumei Utena, many of them simply stare back at me with blank faces. They're much more familiar with shows like Evangelion. This is, of course, all anecdotal, but these experiences lead to me to believe that Utena is not an easy show to market. It is more of an art house piece of experimental animation than a mainstream show of disposable entertainment -- most people don't like that sort of thing. It doesn't make very much money, and if it doesn't make money, localization doesn't happen. Hell, the Utena manga has been out of print for years on end here in The States. I really don't anticipate for it to ever be resurrected. I was actually gobsmacked when Sailor Moon was necromanced from the dead. I had bought the Japanese version years ago from Kinokuniya during the PGSM era because I believed we'd never get a reprint. As for Utena, I was lucky enough to stumble across a well cared for, but incomplete set at a used book store...I'm still searching for the rest...

The unfortunate truth is that plenty of things will never be localized. That is just the way things end up being in a capitalist society. I had to order my Lotte Reiniger and Dick Turpin DVDs directly from the UK because I couldn't count on a US localization. Dick Turpin aired in 1979...Lotte Reiniger's work has been around since at least 1926!! Why haven't American's noticed how beautiful her art is!? I'm planning to buy the Horrible Histories and Yonderland DVDs too, especially because I really doubt Yonderland will get a localization here. Lots of British media is not geared towards American tastes and interests. Sure, we'll get the more popular stuff like Doctor Who and Sherlock, and Monty Python...or anything else that plays on BBC America or PBS, but other stuff...it's harder to come by, if not impossible.

We are a global society now. A region-free DVD Player allows you to acquire the media legally without waiting on the localization that may not ever come. I can watch Bijokan and the Sen no Kaze ni Natte Special of Hadashi no Gen and all my Johnny's Entertainment DVDs and Japanese Music Video DVDs of my favorite bands because I have one. I can't expect them to just release these DVDs here. Yes, shipping costs and customs get in the way sometimes, but it never stopped me from acquiring the items I truly desired. Recently, I've been buying many Japanese books through Kinokuniya that are shipped directly from Japan. I'm honestly astounded by how fast they are processed through customs! We're never going to get a localization of the Utena novels, the only legal option in cases like these is to import directly from Japan.

The corporate entities that be do not care about spreading your media, they only care about profit. Disney owns the rights to CrossGen comics, but I'm never going to see the Meridian movie that was in progress with Dreamworks. Why? Because Marvel decided to reboot CrossGen with RUSE and Mystic and sales were abysmal. This was partly their own fault for the exceptionally poor marketing, but that is no fault of the story of Meridian which is A+. To this day, I still believe that Meridian is one of the greatest western comics ever created for girls. Disney has an A+ original story they could reprint or make into a movie, but they would rather just sit on it and reboot all the Disney Princesses (again! but this time live action!) so I've given up hope on a Meridian movie or reprint years ago.

Yes, the American Utena DVDs are expensive, which is the main reason I have not bought them yet myself when the publisher has uploaded them free onto YouTube. I do intend to get them eventually, but I'll have to save up money for it. (I'll probably be shipping them from the US to Japan, because I am heading there soon, so I won't have the privilege of picking them up in a store or having them shipped locally.) There are ways of getting around region restrictions to watch. I guess, you should just figure out what your goal is. Is your goal to own the series? Or to watch it? Are you motivated enough to get it in order to watch it? It might take time to save up the money for the legal copies...but in the end it will be worth it if it is what you truly desired.

Last edited by barafubuki (07-05-2016 06:16:50 PM)

#10 | Back to Top07-06-2016 01:52:57 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

I understand your concern, and I am aware of how bleak the situation is. However, I do not want to give up hope. With the help of several thousands of people, I managed to get the UK broadcast of Steven Universe far less censored than it used to be (and while I am aware that SU is far more relevant than Utena these days, it does show that with support, things can be done and changes can be made).

At the risk of sounding way too cheesy over a hypothetical DVD set...

http://i.imgur.com/ZRDNoGQl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J7cq0Wwl.jpg

Anyway, at Nozomi Entertainment's recommendation, I emailed the UK anime publisher Anime Ltd. (aka All the Anime), as they are known for rescuing classic series such as Cowboy Bebop and the original Gundam. They have not replied yet, but I will let you know when they do.

What frustrates me is I can't find out who owns the UK rights for the series. MVM Films have gone on record saying that they only ever licensed the film, and have no interest in the series due to the film's aforementioned poor sales in the UK.

On a lighter note, I have not seen Yonderland, but I very much enjoyed the live action Horrible Histories series from a few years back. I have no idea if Terry Deary's original books were popular (or even released) in the States, which may have been the key factor in BBC bringing the TV series to the US.

#11 | Back to Top07-06-2016 04:05:47 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

A quick update!

It turns out, akin to the PlayStation Store, the series and movie are both on the UK iTunes Store. Dub only (deal breaker for me), published by Manga UK. This does confuse me as Manga UK have been in the business for over two decades and the iTunes release is dated from 2012, surely they would have known that a dub only release would be a bad idea?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/r … d537980226

#12 | Back to Top07-13-2016 08:51:23 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

http://i.imgur.com/0fKnGel.png

Just got the last copy of the Utena movie (2008 MVM UK release) that CeX had in stock.

I don't plan to watch it until I've finished the series, but when I do, I'll probably let you know how it is. The disc is scratched anyway, so I'll probably need to get it fixed up before I do. Still don't like the cover art very much, though. The logo's really gaudy and tacky, in my opinion.

(By the way, mods, if me being the only one keeping this thread alive on a periodic basis isn't allowed, I'm more than happy to stop. There doesn't seem to be anything specific in the rules about it (aside from encouraging thread necromancy), but I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

Board footer